FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Firefox Links

zanzou
Some, but not all, of the links in Firefox have this weird little talk-box at the end of them. When I hover my curser over it, a... preview? of the link appears.

I'm thinking maybe it's only for pages I've already visited.... but my main question is: how do you turn it off?
AftershockVibe
Whuuuh?

Do you have a screenshot to show what you mean? I don't recognise anything matching your description.
myrevolt
It is most likely snap preview anywhere or similar. I have it disabled but then there is nearly nothing I don't block. Anyway if it is indeed Snap, then go here and add this cookie to disable it or simply use adblock to disable
Code:
spa.snap.com/*
zanzou
myrevolt wrote:
It is most likely snap preview anywhere or similar. I have it disabled but then there is nearly nothing I don't block. Anyway if it is indeed Snap, then go here and add this cookie to disable it or simply use adblock to disable
Code:
spa.snap.com/*

Thanks a lot! That did indeed fix my problem. :D
zanzou
When I restarted my computer (*ahem* it does take me a while) the links came back. Is that normal?
myrevolt
Which of the two methods I suggested did you do?

a.) Adblock the domain
b.) Add their block cookie

If you did a.) then there are a few things I suggest, one export your custom adblock filters to a file, because very often updating the extension will delete your customizations. Secondly make sure that you close your browser properly after making any long-term changes because a system freeze may revert your browser profile (assuming Firefox) to an older date.

If you chose b.) (and by the way you can do both, just a bit redundant) make sure that your browser does not clear your cookies on reboot.

I suppose if you are running Windows XP or below (I have no experience with Vista) you could do it the "old-fashioned" way and add a loop-back using the hosts file. To accomplish this navigate to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC and open a file called "hosts" with no file extension in notepad. Add a line
Code:
127.0.0.1        spa.snap.com        #snappreview
Save the file and that should work, note that this method is not as aesthetic as something like adblock because it is telling your browser to ignore the DNS and that the domain is located at that IP address, and because that IP loops back it will often display a 404 page as the image or whatever it is replacing; adblock hides the element.

There are several other ways to accomplish what you want but I figure these three methods are the most straight-forward. If you have further difficulty be sure to reply. Goodluck Smile

P.S. The most crude way to get rid of the links is to disable javascript which will force the links to die, however, js is a necessary part of many websites, therefore it is a trade-off.
zanzou
myrevolt wrote:
Which of the two methods I suggested did you do?

a.) Adblock the domain
b.) Add their block cookie

If you did a.) then there are a few things I suggest, one export your custom adblock filters to a file, because very often updating the extension will delete your customizations. Secondly make sure that you close your browser properly after making any long-term changes because a system freeze may revert your browser profile (assuming Firefox) to an older date.

If you chose b.) (and by the way you can do both, just a bit redundant) make sure that your browser does not clear your cookies on reboot.

;)P
I did b). Hopefully changing my settings will fix the problem. :)