FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Mac OS X Leopard

Med365
Ever heard of it ? Mac OS X 10.5 ak Leopard has been released yesterday (Friday October the 26th).
There is a lot of graphical innovation and a lot of new features, wanna test it ? Laughing
Med365
I have forgotten : 300+ new features and a beautiful new look : http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/300.html
Ankhanu
Do you have it? I haven't found ayone who's installed it yet... though lots of people said they were getting it on release.
{name here}
IIRC Diggers have been saying that the latest OS X is simply worth the upgrade. It's supposed to run rather slickly compared to previous releases, especially on the lower level systems, where the difference is pretty good. They report that that iSuite thing lags a bit, though.
Handyman
I just got it last night and installed it this morning.

The new interface is great and very smooth. I am not a big fan of the coverflow in the finder, I perfer the list view.

Spaces is great it allows you to have multiple desk tops to manage your work flow and keep your desk top un-cluttered. Stacks looks pretty cool and I am going to have to get use to it.

I also hooke dup an external drive and time machine was a breeze to set up. The interface is one of the coolest things I have ever seen. I cant wait to lose some data so I can actually use it. That is funny to say but man it's nice.

I am in the process of setting up my network so that I can take advantage of the remote desktop feature.

It seems to run really well on my iMac g4 and my G5 mac pro I am not going to install it on my iBook G3 because it does not meet the system requirements.

If you have a mac I would definently recommend picking up a copy and installing it asap. You wont regret it.
indie_hall
I've been holding off buying a Mac just for Leopard. Is Christmas a good time to buy, or should I wait a bit longer to make sure some of the kinks are ironed out.

I've heard conflicting things; some say it doesn't have .0 bugs that most OSes have, some say it does. Like a few Adobe CS3 things don't work...

So Christmas or wait? Question
Ankhanu
Christmas will be a big order time... so if you wait too long, your order may not get processed until after Christmas.

As for the OS, yeah, you can expect bugs, but probably a lot fewer than you'd expect with a new Windows release. Probably more along the lines of a good linux distro release, and I expect that they'll be fairly quick with updates.

Keep in mind that Apple pushed back the release date by many months as they worked out problems... they're not as quick to push out a product and end up with a load of crap.
ammonkc
I've been playing around with it since Last friday. I got to say that I'm very impressed with it. Leopard is very stable and quick. I got it installed on my MBP and now it feels like it got a hardware upgrade too. I have not run into a single problem with it so far. granted I have only been using it for a little less than a week. But I'm excited to put it through its paces.

I'm especially excited about the web server components. Apache has been updated to the most recent build 2.2+ and php is also a very recent build. The only thing I didn't like about the bundled php, is that they completely left PEAR out. its not a big deal to install it yourself, but they did such a good job with the Apache and PHP that PEAR would have completed it. It also has Ruby on RAIL included out of the box.

Also, I love the new terminal. and the more consistent UI across the entire OS. Brushed metal was getting pretty long in the tooth. There is probably a lot more to report about it once I've had time to put it through some hard core development.
DarkAkira
I have it installed.

It runs beautifully, and the innovations are just great. Especially Spaces and Coverflow.

The only downside to me is that Aqua cannot be set as a UI anymore.
fortune
I installed them yesterday. And I'm kind of shock at leopard OS.
Because my Macintosh is Power Book G4 with 1.33GHZ.
And my Finder is really slow. i think some Application has very good improvement
with opening speed but finder is really slow in my slow Mac.
Also, Stacks is rittlebit slow for my Mac. But I really like Leoprd's Wallpaper.
http://x-travaganza.com/downloads/OSX_Leopard_Wallpaper_1024x775.png
Sphaerenkern
I'm not sure yet, a few friends are nagging about some points, but all in all, it seems worth the upgrade. Maybe we buy a family license for christmas.
First I thought Leopard would look much more colder, because I heard that Apple would leave Aqua behind completely, but it doesn't look that way Smile
mirra
Quite a few people have apparently had problems getting Leopard installed.

To be on the safe side, select "Archive and Install" instead of the default "Upgrade" option -- this disables third-party extensions ...
ddoonie
I believe the main problems with leopard installs is the existence of application enhancers, they recommend you uninstall them previous to installing otherwise do a clean install...
Ankhanu
Yeah, I backed up my material and did a clean install; not a single hiccup.
ddoonie
did you download the update? http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=306907