FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

some thoughts....

doom
Has anyone else noticed that all music lately has been total utter crap?
There's nothing good to listen to anymore. I don't even listen to my favourite radio station anymore because all the new singles are crap. This applies to rap, pop, punk, and most genres. Would anyone else agree?
CrimsonStrange
I tell ya; standard format FM radio is actually painful to listen to these days.
I blame Clear Channel; a big ole' boring mass of mediocrity.

If you don't have an CD/tape/MP3 player in your car, or some kind of satellite radio subscription, the noise of traffic is actually more soothing to listen to than the radio, man.

And even if you don't blame Clear Channel, the whole of "safe & consumer friendly" music business, in general, hasn't produced anything noteworthy in years. (I'm talking all genres.)
diablera
Well, I have to say it: a coupple years ago I thought the same about this topic. But I have found quite good bands lately... I am not into the radio nor MTV stuff, I guess you just sometimes have to discover it by yourself, i.e. like before MTV became really popular, they used to have really good shows and programmes such like: 120 minutes, Alternative Nation, etc. Then if you were really interested on some kind of music you had to find out by yourself by buying zines (mostly indie zines) and some rarities on tapes.

The bands I find quite fine for me are:

Arcade Fire
Bloc Party
Kings Of Leon
The Bravery
The Others
Razorlight
Antony And The Johnsons
John Brion
Bright Eyes
Clap Your Hands And Say Yeah!

and many many more....

Cheers!!! Cool
frozenhead
Well.. yeah.. not all but most... quality of music nowadays is detoriorating..

I dunno if we can call it as "SELF EXPRESSION" as they say... but i think it's just an over used excuse just to justify themselves..
tidruG
Well, that's because all you're going to get on a radio or TV are singles, which we all know are "radio-friendly"... the same tunes, the same song styles, the same formula...

But some of the bands have better music on their CDs... among which, the songs are not selected for being made into singles. However, I enjoyed the music scene in general a lot more up to like an year back, after which it just started deteriorating (for me, at least).
icugaming
Wrong. Sufjan Stevens released an amazing album called Illinois a couple of weeks ago. I guess you missed that one.
tidruG
icugaming wrote:
Wrong. Sufjan Stevens released an amazing album called Illinois a couple of weeks ago. I guess you missed that one.

YEs, it's possible. Living in India, I don't have as much access to music as y'all do. I only get to hear most of the really mainstream commercial crap, and a few of the good albums, which I enjoy, make it to the music stores here, like incubus (I hated what they did on the Stealth soundtrack, however) and stuff like that...
Scott
There is lots of fantastic music these days. There is much more music out there than what is on the TV or Radio. You just need to look around a little.
icugaming
tidrug wrote:
icugaming wrote:

YEs, it's possible. Living in India, I don't have as much access to music as y'all do. I only get to hear most of the really mainstream commercial crap, and a few of the good albums, which I enjoy, make it to the music stores here, like incubus (I hated what they did on the Stealth soundtrack, however) and stuff like that...

I've got a good suggestion for you then, go to http://www.pitchforkmedia.com and read the reviews and you'll find some good stuff. Download or buy it, it doesn't matter to me.