FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Do you live on a noisy street?!





watersoul
I live on a street that's a major route out of the main center, and every Friday/Saturday night there's usually a fight/arguing/drunken behaviour to be watched from my window, often with police involvement. No-one in my street (or any of the central area) lives on ground level so its quite safe and actually very interesting and funny sometimes watching how really terrible people become after drinking too much, with their pointless arguments and silly rows! ...in fact, its far better than TV because its not edited at all, its real!

I started a "channel" last weekend on Youtube, just filming some of the better moments on my mobile phone for anyone else to see - http://youtube.com/tq1media - (tq1 is the start of my zip/postal code area) and I'll add stuff as it wakes me up/disturbs my peace on a weekend. Bit disappointed tonight though, with the moon so full I was expecting loads of material to film and add to the net!
Anyway, I'm interested to know what other Frihosters home streets are like, suburbia/rural/city center madness/whatever???

...oh and just for the record, the only reason I'm not out shaming myself on friday/saturday nights is because I'm a full time student and subsidising my student loan working all weekend nights delivering pizza's for the drunken masses - that however would be another topic! Smile
BLAK
If you want to have better media, I think you should get a better camcorder or microphone so we can actually listen to these people. I ny road it's very quiet. I live 5 minutes walk from High Street but still no one is disturbing me at night. Smile
watersoul
Thanks Blak, I know what you say, but my poor phone was all I had, I'll get a decent digital camera one day but my student money can only go so far! This is only to show a snapshot of my street/area at the moment, January I may be able to upgrade and then it may be good viewing, until then though, money talks you know Sad
Magicman
I live on a somewhat rural road with a main road running parallel to it going the same place so my road is fairly quiet. Considering my house is really far away from the road, there is never enough sound from the road to bother me.
That is an interesting project you've come up with, taping the sounds of your road.
kiranaghor
hmmm i also live on a crowdy road. on daytime im out mostly but in the evening it is so damn noisy that i get irritated. Sometimes at night when im aleep someone goes around blowing horn needlessly and it wakes me up. Its sad and I don't know how to deal with this.
mawfia
Haha, I live in Pensacola, where every morning around 0800 F-18s fly over head for a couple of hours training for air shows. Due to performance requirements the planes never go above 3000 feet and often fly just above the telephone wires. Sometimes they fly so low you can see the pilot in the cockpit!
rheanna
Laughing do idiot drivers count? Hate my nieghbors....

LOL, Did the cop say at the end..."Get your own Coffee" roflmao!!!!!!!!!!!!! Might be the jager talking and I'm making my own words up hahahaha...But I'm dying laughing right now over that comment if it was. ROFL
DSGamer3002
Well, my street is pretty laid down (quiet, inactive). From what I know, nobody really makes connections with one another, and the most noise you hear is if the guy across the street from me is whistling, or if his neighbor is using their car garage. (This guy installed a huge car lift in his garage so he can have 3 cars inside. He has 5 cars total though. Razz)
Aless
I live in central London, so nearly every street is noisy and/or busy!

Well, I exaggerate. It's not actually OUR street that's loud, but we live off a decent-sized A road that provides a major throughway from Vauxhall to southeast London (Brixton, Streatham, and similar!), so it's always buzzing with ambulances, police cars and loud motorcycles! Never wakes me up at night, but I do wish our windows were a bit thinker when the pub lets out.
SpellcasterDX
No not really. My street's pretty quiet, even during rush-hour. I guess it's cause it's not really a main street but rather just a street that connects the city. There aren't any/many large business nearby.
hofodomo01
I've moved around 5 times in my life, and I've always been in a semi secluded but really nice and quite neighbourhood. Now, I'm living in an even more remote building, but I got some really loud neighbours instead >_<
hlavco
We live on a cul-de-sac, so for the most part it's so quiet that we get up and look out the window whenever a car comes by. However, the last few years our stupid little wannabe gangster neighbor kid has been having his friends over all day every day, playing outside with music blasting.

I guess it's nice that he plays outside all day instead of staying on the computer all day, though.
BPrice
I live in a smal vilage with 3 pubs on my road which used to be quiet but since the smoking ban its got alot loader because everybody is coming out the front of the pubs to have a smoke that then leads to the normal load drunken behaiver

p.s please no coments on my speling I know it bad.
vineeth
I am living in a small town in India near my medical college... Noise pollution is high even here. I used to seal all my windows during night... Sometimes, I had to move to some other place for a good sleep..
divinitywolf
I'm living in a house with several motorways near by but inside the house its quiet so i can get a good nights sleep.
But when you go outside the house there is a distant roar of trafic constantly but i guess it wouldn't be called "noisy" as such, just background noise.
watersoul
BPrice said:
Quote:
I live in a smal vilage with 3 pubs on my road which used to be quiet but since the smoking ban its got alot loader because everybody is coming out the front of the pubs to have a smoke that then leads to the normal load drunken behaiver


...I've noticed that aswell,
last night was blissful heaven though, it was hammering down with rain so absolutely no-one making a noise apart from taxi's Smile
Nubilosus
I live in a very quiet neighbourhood, it is close to the highway but we have a GREAT sound isolating wall.
rappn
I live on a rather noisy street yes, but ofcourse, im the one that makes all the noise Very Happy

Itīs because i have some motorstuffs, like a motorcycle, a moped (with a hole in its exhaustpipe Wink ), the car, and the worst thing is not a motorthing, itīs my speakers, i have like five or six speakers (Big ones) in my room, and i like to play very loud music! So sometimes my neigbours get very pissed of at me, but what the hell...

I want to have fun, while they sit on their ass and whine about all my loud stuffs Razz

So, yes i live on a noisy street! Laughing

//rApp
DoctorBeaver
I live in a lovely quiet little village near the Cotswold hills. Ah, the peace and quiet! Very Happy
Blaster
Me i live on a fairly quite street. Its a little side street of a more busy street. But watching the fights and all out of your window must get pretty entertaining. Smile
Bagpipe
I did. Noisy street, railway close by, argueing neigbours - it made me sick.
I live in a small house in a forest now, all by my self. No man-made noise. It's heaven...
Tumbleweed
rappn wrote:
I live on a rather noisy street yes, but ofcourse, im the one that makes all the noise Very Happy

Itīs because i have some motorstuffs, like a motorcycle, a moped (with a hole in its exhaustpipe Wink ), the car, and the worst thing is not a motorthing, itīs my speakers, i have like five or six speakers (Big ones) in my room, and i like to play very loud music! So sometimes my neigbours get very pissed of at me, but what the hell...

I want to have fun, while they sit on their ass and whine about all my loud stuffs Razz

So, yes i live on a noisy street! Laughing

//rApp


Awwwwww blesss........... I am sure you will grow up one day Razz
Donutey
I live in a suburban area where the street pretty quiet. The only exception to this is that our street is straight and about a quarter mile long, so we get people drag racing down it sometimes late at night. (I now understand why developers so often make streets curvy in new subdivisions these days).
max2500
Our street has been quiet since we moved in, but recently theres been some trouble. And some annoying people moved in a few doors up, always arguing n fighting with each other etc

everyone in the street tho has just started phoning the police any time they kick off, hopefully they'll get evicted soon enough lol

Cant wait till i have enough money to afford me own place n move away from here now.
rappn
Tumbleweed wrote:
rappn wrote:
I live on a rather noisy street yes, but ofcourse, im the one that makes all the noise Very Happy

Itīs because i have some motorstuffs, like a motorcycle, a moped (with a hole in its exhaustpipe Wink ), the car, and the worst thing is not a motorthing, itīs my speakers, i have like five or six speakers (Big ones) in my room, and i like to play very loud music! So sometimes my neigbours get very pissed of at me, but what the hell...

I want to have fun, while they sit on their ass and whine about all my loud stuffs Razz

So, yes i live on a noisy street! Laughing

//rApp


Awwwwww blesss........... I am sure you will grow up one day Razz


Hehe, never, im like Peter Pan, soon im going to Neverland and their i will stay for the rest of my life! Just because i dont want to grow up...

Sure, some day i will grow up and then i will buy more speakers, and things that makes more noise.. Laughing
Tumbleweed
rappn wrote:
Tumbleweed wrote:
rappn wrote:
I live on a rather noisy street yes, but ofcourse, im the one that makes all the noise Very Happy

Itīs because i have some motorstuffs, like a motorcycle, a moped (with a hole in its exhaustpipe Wink ), the car, and the worst thing is not a motorthing, itīs my speakers, i have like five or six speakers (Big ones) in my room, and i like to play very loud music! So sometimes my neigbours get very pissed of at me, but what the hell...

I want to have fun, while they sit on their ass and whine about all my loud stuffs Razz

So, yes i live on a noisy street! Laughing

//rApp


Awwwwww blesss........... I am sure you will grow up one day Razz


Hehe, never, im like Peter Pan, soon im going to Neverland and their i will stay for the rest of my life! Just because i dont want to grow up...

Sure, some day i will grow up and then i will buy more speakers, and things that makes more noise.. Laughing


Laughing ....just remember what goes around comes around...look what happened to Cpt Hook Laughing
Kaisonic
[post deleted]
Futile
I just recently moved to a new apartment complex that is half way between my day job and night job. There were mixed reviews online about the complex about 50 - 50 good or bad. A lot of the bad was a lot of partying and noise going on until all hours of the night. I have been there a month and a half and have not heard or seen anything that could be consued as noisy. I hear my upstairs neighbor bumping around ocassionally but that is to be expected and accepted, the curse of living on the bottom floor. So I guess my answer to the original post question is no.
Molle
I live on the countryside. Not in a village... it's to few people to call it a village. But I like it here, quite and peacefull. Around 10 cars drives pass my house everyday. Not much, ey?
friuser
fortunately i also live in a quiet neighborhood and it's in the city but it's more suburbs. Fortunately there are very strict laws about noise pollution but than there has to be when you are live in new york city. Check your local laws and if you file enough reports, i'm sure the fines will give you some peace and quiet at your neighborhood. Probably more difficult in your situation but well worth it in helping you have more footage!
Tatsumaru
My street is not very noisy, but I can clearly hear cars and loud-mouthed people pass by in the evening... it's annoying when I'm trying to sleep, but it's ignoreable. Our neighbors often throw parties which are the most annoying thing ever haha (horrible music).
rappn
Tumbleweed wrote:
rappn wrote:
Tumbleweed wrote:
rappn wrote:
I live on a rather noisy street yes, but ofcourse, im the one that makes all the noise Very Happy

Itīs because i have some motorstuffs, like a motorcycle, a moped (with a hole in its exhaustpipe Wink ), the car, and the worst thing is not a motorthing, itīs my speakers, i have like five or six speakers (Big ones) in my room, and i like to play very loud music! So sometimes my neigbours get very pissed of at me, but what the hell...

I want to have fun, while they sit on their ass and whine about all my loud stuffs Razz

So, yes i live on a noisy street! Laughing

//rApp


Awwwwww blesss........... I am sure you will grow up one day Razz


Hehe, never, im like Peter Pan, soon im going to Neverland and their i will stay for the rest of my life! Just because i dont want to grow up...

Sure, some day i will grow up and then i will buy more speakers, and things that makes more noise.. Laughing


Laughing ....just remember what goes around comes around...look what happened to Cpt Hook Laughing


Ahh, the bad guy never wins! But i am a good guy, so i will end up fine, do you ever look at old movies? Laughing Razz
bigdan
Nope! I live on a very quiet country road in rural Australia. All I can hear are all the insects and animals scurrying around outside.
Tumbleweed
rappn wrote:
Tumbleweed wrote:
rappn wrote:
Tumbleweed wrote:
rappn wrote:
I live on a rather noisy street yes, but ofcourse, im the one that makes all the noise Very Happy

Itīs because i have some motorstuffs, like a motorcycle, a moped (with a hole in its exhaustpipe Wink ), the car, and the worst thing is not a motorthing, itīs my speakers, i have like five or six speakers (Big ones) in my room, and i like to play very loud music! So sometimes my neigbours get very pissed of at me, but what the hell...

I want to have fun, while they sit on their ass and whine about all my loud stuffs Razz

So, yes i live on a noisy street! Laughing

//rApp


Awwwwww blesss........... I am sure you will grow up one day Razz


Hehe, never, im like Peter Pan, soon im going to Neverland and their i will stay for the rest of my life! Just because i dont want to grow up...

Sure, some day i will grow up and then i will buy more speakers, and things that makes more noise.. Laughing


Laughing ....just remember what goes around comes around...look what happened to Cpt Hook Laughing


Ahh, the bad guy never wins! But i am a good guy, so i will end up fine, do you ever look at old movies? Laughing Razz

You diliberatly make noise that you know unsettles your neibours....your the good guy ?.....twice the bad karma for you peter Laughing
Azmo
Yes I do, I live in central stockholm so it's kinda noisy... the price you have to pay! =)
plus900
i live on a main road i get woke up evry night
standready
The only noise I have is from my neighbor's college age kid and some friends that think they are rock stars in the garage. Everything turned all the way. Can't even hear my TV with my house closed up. Police won't do anything because it is not after 11pm.
The really bad part of it all it that they, how to put this nicely, SUCK! No rhythm. As one of my other neighbor's eight old said "My sister (2 years old) can play better than they do.".
tikitait
Yep I live in a noisy/busy area.

I live about 200 yeards from a Pub, its on the edge of a main road and our street.

On a Thursday, Friday, Saturday and sometimes a Sunday the amount of people that go past fighting, smashing glasses etc is unreal.

This summer (if you can call it that) we had the window open and it was about 3am, heard two women going at it, (as in shouting), they were partners having a domestic!
They were stood right underneath our window so we could hear everything! After 30 mins or so I told em to go somewhere else, you know all nicey nicey at first. They still went on so after about an hour i called the police sayin it sounded like they were going to kill each other.
3 mins later, police arrive, blue lights n everything, they soon left lol
driftingfe3s
Not really a noisy street, but I have noisy neighbors. Sometimes I'll hear the neighbors yelling at each other in the middle of the night or very early in the morning. It's very annoying because my window is close to theirs. Also my other neighbor has this dog that at times wont stop barking for minutes on end when I'm trying to sleep. Luckily it doesnt happen too often.
djcaution
I live right next to a fire department so there's constantly firetrucks blaring their sirens as they leave on calls, but I don't even hear them anymore I'm so used to it.
ExplicitRyan
I used to live right on Jane & Trethewey which is a main interesection in Toronto. From my 5 story high balcony I could see so much and it's a bad neighborhood so you see fights no matter what day it is as long as it's past 9:00
Aiz
I used to live in one of the quietest areas in MD, >< It was great except it was a small house and there was a horse stable nearby that is pretty most of the time while gets a bit stinky when the wind blows the wrong way.

We just bought a new house recently. It’s many times bigger than our original one, and no stinky stables. But…because the houses in our original neighborhood are all at least 10 yrs old and very very expensive so it’s not possible to get a new house that really is worth the money. So we moved a bit off into one of the more urban parts. It’s not as bad as some parts like Silver Spring or anything, but it was still sorta a shock when people walk by talking and laughing very loudly (and probably drunk) at like 2am -___-;

Then there’s the train. We chose the house also because it’s so close to a train station that would enable me to commute to school very conveniently. But, the train horn blasts in the middle of the night are a pain. *sighs* I miss my old neighborhood and the quietness >__<
nilsmo
I don't... a car passes by maybe once every 5 minutes... My cousin in Sweden lives in a suburb with really empty streets - you can see just a car or two every hour.
eku53ru
I would not call the street on which I live too noisy, but it does have its share of commotion. Normally on weekends, my next-door neighbors have a barbecue, and this translates to not only a bunch of fumes pouring into my backyard, but a lot of noise coming from the other side of the fence, too. It gets especially unnerving when the kids start shooting things with their BB guns; they do not seem to realize or care that things are flying in my backyard (of course, my backyard's too messy to recover things easily).

Also, the neighbors I have across the street normally do a garage-band thing on the weekends, too. They're not that bad at singing, but they're not that great, either. The level of noise they make isn't very helpful when it comes down to spending time on my homework. Lately, however, they have been toned down from how loud they were before; I'm guessing someone ratted them out for being disruptive.

Other than that, the neighbors I have down the block have a habit of setting off fireworks around major holidays, such as the Fourth of July or Memorial Day. This also applies to people who do the same thing in the courtyard behind the church (which is behind my house). I remember one night where they set off fireworks at two in the morning, and that led to a lot of expletives being exchanged from my drowsy, irritated neighbors.
Fake
Very nice and quiet street. Like ppl are okie with us. No one bothers us. We dont bother each other. WHen i pull up, i already have the music low and dont push on the gas, so the exhuast is pretty quite too.
D'Artagnan
Fantastic topic, i would like to see such places =)...

i live in a place where noise is absolutely not a problem, i think the invese is true...
I live in the country side of a country side city of santa catarina, south brazil ... yes i live in the countryside of the countryside Razz , so you could forgive my strange english...


there's very little movement around here, it's a quiet place... two or three cars passing at max in a hour, some children playing, some birds singing... tedious

the nice thing is that here's one of the few places where you can sleep with your window opened...
Afaceinthematrix
I live on a very quiet street. Nobody comes down this street. On Halloween I was at home passing out candy and only 4 kids came by. I watched hundreds of kids just walk past my street (it's a cul-de-sac) and not come down this way. So the few kids that did got a lot of candy.
tijn01
I am living in a nice quiet street..... at least that is what we thought when we moved into our house. A couple days after we moved in, it turned out that the people across the road love to give parties, very noisy parties. Luckily it doesn't occur to often, but when it does, it is an absolute pain in the #ss
ashish2005
I live in a small street. The street is so small that I think it's only about 6-8 feet wide. So there are not many vehicles passing through my street (only a few bikes). But there are lots and lots of fights in the street which make the street noisy. Specially during the night many drunkards pass through my street because there are many local alchohol shops in my street. So you get picture how my street is.
dez_trukshun
I live in New York city. I love New York, but yea, pretty much every street I go to is noisy. No exceptions. Even at like 2 am if I open my apartment window, I'll hear people playing LOUD music from their car, and a few smashings of glass bottles. It specially doesn't help in my case, because I live right opposite the local High School. I would love to change my home, but I'm so used to it after 12 years, and its even a bigger headache to relocate within the city. Its torture every night, waking up every 45 minutes to a car alarm that goes off, or something or the other happens. Im just surprised to say that I still haven't been woken up by a gunshot Razz.
volotao
I live in a noisy street, to be more precise, a highway. There is noise all day and night. An strong accoustic treatment is necessary to be quit inside home. But this noise is not as bad as the electric transformer noise I have in front of my apartment. The sound is almost inaudible, but in high frequency and constant. It seems like my television or something electronic is on.

The best to do is to move to a quiet off-town house... maybe in the forest. I dream one day I should do it.
Zug Zug
Unfortunately I live in an apartment complex. And like most apartment complex you can hear everything your neighbor says and does. During the daytime it's very noisy with all the kids running around...one girl ALWAYS has to scream her head off whether she's hurt or just having fun. At night it's actually quiet....besides my upstairs neighbor playing music at the top volume and mosh-pitting around his room. It gets rather annoying. Oh and every once in awhile we'll get people who like to drink at our bar-b-que area....who don't live in the apartment complex-I LOVE calling the cops on them. Very Happy
missdixy
Not really. Back at home I used to live on a semi busy street for a neighborhood street, but now that I am away at college it's not busy here at all. I mean, sure I am near the expressway but the street my building is actually on is peaceful. Almost creepily peaceful....
thejam
Here in Shanghai, you just can't find any quiet places. Most Chinese wake up arround 5AM, and start to do cooking, cleaning and watch TV. these are the noises inside my building.
The noises outside are worse .. way worse.. Most constructionsites never stop. tons of people work 24/7, and there is no limitation on soundvolume. Ow and there is a construction going on everywhere you go in Shnaghai. ( i think they are allready building 12 new subwaylines on this very moment)
The traffic is very bad to, plus they love to hunk here whenever they can.. yeah i guess Shanghai is for the insomnia peeps
Davidgr1200
I live in a cul-de-sac in a suburb so we don't get any traffic going past. The only noise we get here is from the neighbour who plays music at high volume at night. Unfortunately he has poor taste and only plays bad music :(
meet in rio
My university dominates the town, so there's no shortage of rowdy students, but I live a mile or two out from the centre, so I never really get noise outside my window. It's a pain cycling home after a night out, though.
Arnie
Aiz wrote:
Then there’s the train. We chose the house also because it’s so close to a train station that would enable me to commute to school very conveniently. But, the train horn blasts in the middle of the night are a pain. *sighs* I miss my old neighborhood and the quietness >__<
My mother also recently moved, the old house where I grew up is near a train station. But the new house (and my own apartment near the university) are not. Now I miss the sound of trains at night Sad
Zombie
I live next to a highway, my bedroom is about 10-15 feet from the road. I find the noise comforting, and it's very difficult for me to sleep in a quiet setting.
J-Evil
Nope. It's usually pretty quiet around here. but if anyone makes the noise, it's my younger siblings when they're running around out there chasing eachother with sticks Rolling Eyes
MYP415
My street is quiet for the most part other than the kids that go outside and play
missdixy
Davidgr1200 wrote:
I live in a cul-de-sac in a suburb so we don't get any traffic going past. The only noise we get here is from the neighbour who plays music at high volume at night. Unfortunately he has poor taste and only plays bad music Sad


Aw lol. I always wanted to live on a cul-de-sac (sp?)
yomomma1
Na, I live on A quiet Street, Try to avoid living or even going near the City, Because it is very noisy, and well their is nothing to do their, at all. And Living quietly Is just the kind of person I am, I'd rather live in a house than a small apartment.
dimg
i live on a pretty noisy street, but its mostly because its in a bad neighborhood. I believe some rapper put it best when he said "i go to sleep to gun shots and wake up to sirens"
windrei
Before age 22, i lived in the urban area in an appartment. It's very noisy from day to night due to the building was near a bus terminal. There are always buses passing by. i could heard the noise even my appartment was in 16th floor..... now i live in the sub urban area. It's so quite at night, even in day time. Although it's a bit far away from my working place, i prefer here more.

However, i am going to move to a new flat 2 weeks later. i am going to live on an island. The feeling will be so good.
Srs2388
when i come beatin tha block down my street is loud Cool
If you know what im mean...
theem
How do you comeup with such kinda questions ? lolz Laughing

well.. ye4ah i live on a very bussy and noisy road .
filet
luckily and grateful that i live in a peaceful neighbourhood...great garden and playground right in front of my house

the noisy part i guess when big dogs bark
gladius
I live so far from my neighboors, cause I live on a farm... Its so quiet!

Confused
russel26
im living the noisy street but ..im not noisy... Laughing
Migz
I dont live on a noisy street, i am the noisy street Very Happy im playing music all the time! But i live right next to a main road but i dont get disturbed much. Only thing i do get disturbed by is drunks and busses.
skygaia
I don't like noisy. so I've lived at very calm street.
Some people think living near downtown or main street is very convinient and it feels alive.... but I don't think so.. Wink
jegeskave
Yes I do, i live in a very quiet and peacefull street;)
nbeerbower
I don't live on a busy street (although there has been a lot of construction lately), but behind my house (and backyard) we have the busiest road in all of town. Razz It doesn't bother me at all. But the construction on there sometimes can get really annoying.
tijn01
Our street used to be very noisy. Mostly because of a duplex across the road, where some party-animals lived. Last week they had a party and then the house burn down. It was very dramatic, and I felt really sorry for them. (no one was hurt in the fire)
But the thing i can't get over is how much more quiet our street is now. I hadn't realised just how much noise they were making until they were gone.
Still, I would prefer they hadn't lost everything in the house fire! Although apparently some other neighbours have said that they deserved it - nobody deserves to loose everything.
j_f_k
hhmm not as unlucky as you and can sleep at nights.

The bugbear about my street is that although its 'residential' its an ideal 'rat run' so we get far more traffic than we should and because they're rat runners they invariable speed etc.

Also there are always people around 24 hours although I have to say v rarely trouble.
mo2rayo
i live at niska road in toronto onatrio, the place is very quiet sometimes i even feel scared if i go to school or anywhere cus i am the only one walking on the road. its so quiet but sometimes i am scared sometimes i love it that way. Sad
standready
Digging up an old post!
I am the last house on a dead end street, so quiet it is.
deanhills
I'm lucky. For once I seem to be living in an area where it is blissfully quiet at night when it needs to be. For most of my life I've always lived in city areas where there is lots of noise, but three years ago I was forced to move into a compound. For some or other reason I got moved into an area of the compound where one can't hear the traffic noise or construction noise in neighbouring compounds, as presently there are many new buildings that are being built and construction noise from sites have been around for like forever. At the end of the day there are plenty of children making noise, but that kind of noise I can deal with. I am lucky with neighbours as well, who are in the whole also quiet, except for the odd celebration day. I find there is always noise and noise. For me "happy noise" is OK. The closest to disturbing noise where I am is when someone is drilling holes in the walls or have their Hi-Fi Bass on so loud I can't hear my own TV.
nigam
before i moved in right here, i lived in a noisy street where party is everywhere and every night and day...now, i lived in a quiet and peaceful street....i love it here....
IceCreamTruck
Hey, I'm going to take this classic post for a spin because I haven't answered this particular question yet.

Do you live on a noisy street? To which I answer: Yes and no because the street I am on gets busy and becomes empty at random times based on a schedule that is related to the schedule of the large university that is near downtown, and that is compounded with the random schedule of Rupp Areana and a handful of national act music venues.

The loudest part of where I live by far is that I am in a 8 story building, and my apartment faces the train tracks. Since there is also a street there, then there is a rail road crossing, and the trains always sound their horn multiple times before crossing the road at speed. There is nothing between me and their horn accept a little open space about the size of a football field, on which sits a low lying arthritis center, and remember I'm up high without much accidental shielding, if any.

The trains come regularly, just about once every 4 hours. There are two sets of tracks there, and from what I can tel these are full weight, interstate train tracks for the tristate area of Indiana, Kentucky, and Ohio. Trains here are heading to either Louisville or Cincinnati, and they make that choice further north of here then distance allows me to perceive. I sure know when they are coming, and when they will get here though!

I should have mentioned this sooner but there is a timing to it, and a rhythm. I can tell when strange things are happening with the trains based on the sound. Some train drivers like to blow their horn more than others, to which I might just beg them to go ahead and hit the people who are not out of the way by now!!! Twisted Evil
deanhills
IceCreamTruck wrote:
I should have mentioned this sooner but there is a timing to it, and a rhythm. I can tell when strange things are happening with the trains based on the sound. Some train drivers like to blow their horn more than others, to which I might just beg them to go ahead and hit the people who are not out of the way by now!!! Twisted Evil
I like the clickety-click rhythm of the wheels against the rails, almost like soothing, but the blowing of the horn can't always be peaceful. Especially when it is overdone.

Our holiday cottage once was situated quite close to rail tracks, what was interesting was that everything also shuddered in unison with the train passing. Does your place shudder?
IceCreamTruck
deanhills wrote:
IceCreamTruck wrote:
I should have mentioned this sooner but there is a timing to it, and a rhythm. I can tell when strange things are happening with the trains based on the sound. Some train drivers like to blow their horn more than others, to which I might just beg them to go ahead and hit the people who are not out of the way by now!!! Twisted Evil
I like the clickety-click rhythm of the wheels against the rails, almost like soothing, but the blowing of the horn can't always be peaceful. Especially when it is overdone.

Our holiday cottage once was situated quite close to rail tracks, what was interesting was that everything also shuddered in unison with the train passing. Does your place shudder?


You can feel the vibration when you are on the ground floor, but not when up in my apartment. Not close enough for anything to move or shudder.
deanhills
IceCreamTruck wrote:
You can feel the vibration when you are on the ground floor, but not when up in my apartment. Not close enough for anything to move or shudder.
What is the construction like in your neck of the woods? Solid concrete and steel frame? I remember when I was living in Vancouver, the outside structure was concrete, but the insides mostly plywood partitioning. I could hear my neighbour cough next door, especially if there were no proper insulation in the filling. Was quite an experience after South Africa where everything, including high rises are solid concrete walls through out. Reminded me of that fable about the three piggies and huffing and puffing until the houses came down. Very Happy
IceCreamTruck
deanhills wrote:
IceCreamTruck wrote:
You can feel the vibration when you are on the ground floor, but not when up in my apartment. Not close enough for anything to move or shudder.
What is the construction like in your neck of the woods? Solid concrete and steel frame? I remember when I was living in Vancouver, the outside structure was concrete, but the insides mostly plywood partitioning. I could hear my neighbour cough next door, especially if there were no proper insulation in the filling. Was quite an experience after South Africa where everything, including high rises are solid concrete walls through out. Reminded me of that fable about the three piggies and huffing and puffing until the houses came down. Very Happy


I like the way your mind works, Dean, you make me laugh all the time.

Well the "Big Bad Wolf" won't get to red riding hood here because it's all fairly good solid construction. My neighbors share walls all around me and I never hear them, and they never hear me. Maybe they can hear me if my windows open while playing guitar, but their windows have to be open too.

Brick, Steal frame, with good insulation -- maybe too good cause it gets hot in here sometimes, and almost never too cold in the building even with the heat off in my apartment. Leans towards bad circulation as opposed to windy/not sealed correctly in my apartment, so the air-conditioning is important to make it not stuffy or overheated. My apartment is really bad about smoke from the oven... it stays in here and now way to get it out. I had to rig a fan on the window to help pull smoke out one time because I burned some steak -- my roommate is vegetarian so it was bad moment for her.
deanhills
IceCreamTruck wrote:
My apartment is really bad about smoke from the oven... it stays in here and now way to get it out. I had to rig a fan on the window to help pull smoke out one time because I burned some steak -- my roommate is vegetarian so it was bad moment for her.
That's too bad. Don't you have one of those ventilators on top of the stove? I guess there is no window to the outside in your kitchen either?

Air can get easily trapped in my place too, as during the summer in the Middle East, one just does not open windows, we live on air-conditioning mostly.
IceCreamTruck
deanhills wrote:
IceCreamTruck wrote:
My apartment is really bad about smoke from the oven... it stays in here and now way to get it out. I had to rig a fan on the window to help pull smoke out one time because I burned some steak -- my roommate is vegetarian so it was bad moment for her.
That's too bad. Don't you have one of those ventilators on top of the stove? I guess there is no window to the outside in your kitchen either?

Air can get easily trapped in my place too, as during the summer in the Middle East, one just does not open windows, we live on air-conditioning mostly.


There is a fan and filter above my stove, but those don't work well if you really burn something. Actually, in my apartment, that fan doesn't really help much at all even if you don't burn food it's still a good idea to open windows while cooking in my home.
Utopia GFR
I live in a very noisy street filled with cars and people (sometimes yelling at each other after midnight).

There is also a bus line providing service to the district.

I am planning to leave these surroundings for a quieter place.

Too bad, double glazing doesn't work well Sad

Anyways, I never really liked noisy corners for I believe peaceful spots can be very healthy for the mind Smile
deanhills
Utopia GFR wrote:
Anyways, I never really liked noisy corners for I believe peaceful spots can be very healthy for the mind Smile
That's definitely true. I lived in a very built up noisy area in Vancouver, BC, Canada and wow, was that a noisy city. Cars used to drive with windows open and music blaring with the usual duff duff bass all hours of the night. I don't think the city every goes to sleep as it has shift workers. So in my building it was never quiet. I remember my neighbours upstairs used to come back from work at midnight, and then start living it up. Then to top it all, the walls where I lived were mostly plywood walls with very little insulation from noise. I never thought it could be as quiet as it is where I am now. And irony is, it took me a long while to get used to this quiet. I live in a compound and almost everyone is in bed by 11:00 p.m. Apart from the very occasional drilling, I'm hardly aware that I have neighbours. The closest to noise and the children, but their noise is usually happy noise and not of the same disturbing variety as blaring music from sound equipment that has not been designed for the volume or the bass it is being used. So I guess I must have finally lucked out or something. Wonder whether I would ever be able to adjust to concrete jungles again.
watersoul
Wow, I'd forgotten about this old thread!
I've also moved home since starting the OP, and although I do actually miss some of the funny drunken people who used to pass by on an average night, I do prefer my new place.
I'm on top of a cliff by the beach now, and the only noise is from the crazy seagulls from dawn each day, often coupled with laughter/music of mine and other neighbours BBQ's as Summer is back again Smile Smile
deanhills
watersoul wrote:
Wow, I'd forgotten about this old thread!
I've also moved home since starting the OP, and although I do actually miss some of the funny drunken people who used to pass by on an average night, I do prefer my new place.
I'm on top of a cliff by the beach now, and the only noise is from the crazy seagulls from dawn each day, often coupled with laughter/music of mine and other neighbours BBQ's as Summer is back again Smile Smile
I hear rain has been moving into the island. Can't miss hearing about the UK weather these days as all news come with special highlights about THE coming wedding. Twisted Evil

I definitely envy you your position by the sea. How did it come about, and is it affordable? Very Happy
sudipbanerjee
I live in village. my home is surrounded by trees. Only railway track is near to my home. the sounds of train came to my home
menino
In India, I live in front of a main road, and its noisy most of the time, except late night and early morning, when there is no traffic.
I could not hear the television properly, so then I used headphones connected to the tv.
Now, I just try to keep out of the house, or go to a friends or relatives place which is less noisy.
spinout
The big road in Sweden, E18, used to be around the house, 150 meters. But they have made it on a new route, 1 km north! Bingo - noiseless environment in my little village. it had other effects also on the environment; gasstation, diner, foodstore aso has moved! left is just the big cellphone antenna!
watersoul
deanhills wrote:
watersoul wrote:
Wow, I'd forgotten about this old thread!
I've also moved home since starting the OP, and although I do actually miss some of the funny drunken people who used to pass by on an average night, I do prefer my new place.
I'm on top of a cliff by the beach now, and the only noise is from the crazy seagulls from dawn each day, often coupled with laughter/music of mine and other neighbours BBQ's as Summer is back again Smile Smile
I hear rain has been moving into the island. Can't miss hearing about the UK weather these days as all news come with special highlights about THE coming wedding. Twisted Evil

I definitely envy you your position by the sea. How did it come about, and is it affordable? Very Happy


We've got a much milder micro-climate here compared to most of the UK, our weather usually travels NE from the Atlantic and is warmed by the gulf stream so I can often leave the bay and drive 20 miles inland into unexpected rain or temperatures a few degrees colder.

Affordable? Hmm, yep, but only because I'm on the 'poor' side of my street and get my sea view through the gaps between the houses on the other side of my road.
Example, my tiny 2 bedroomed house is a converted 200 year old converted cow shed (Lol), worth roughly Ģ100,000. A 5 bedroom house on my 'poor' side of the street is on the market for Ģ700,000, and you really won't get hold of a tiny one bedroom apartment on the side at the edge of the cliff for less than Ģ250,000 Shocked

As you've mentioned 'that wedding' we're all having a big fat crazy party on Friday in my neighbours garden, DJ's, fire, BBQ, fireworks, food and of course a few drinks. Absolutely none of us care at all about the wedding, but as the government has declared it a national holiday we're certainly going to take advantage! Most people I know are republicans and see no place in a modern society even for a constitutional monarchy (why can my own son not aspire to be head of state just because of an accident of birth?) but we're all willing to enjoy the day off work - the party is even being marketed in our social circles as The Un-Royal Garden Party Laughing Laughing

For that reason this Friday it's certain I will be able to say I live on a noisy street! Very Happy
deanhills
watersoul wrote:
As you've mentioned 'that wedding' we're all having a big fat crazy party on Friday in my neighbours garden, DJ's, fire, BBQ, fireworks, food and of course a few drinks. Absolutely none of us care at all about the wedding, but as the government has declared it a national holiday we're certainly going to take advantage! Most people I know are republicans and see no place in a modern society even for a constitutional monarchy (why can my own son not aspire to be head of state just because of an accident of birth?) but we're all willing to enjoy the day off work - the party is even being marketed in our social circles as The Un-Royal Garden Party Laughing Laughing

For that reason this Friday it's certain I will be able to say I live on a noisy street! Very Happy
Right, any excuse for a party will do! Even if it is a Royal wedding. I guess like with Lady Di, more people will be watching the wedding outside the UK than inside the UK? Or am I exaggerating a little now? Twisted Evil

Maybe you should invite Bikerman so that you can celebrate a worthier cause, the purchase of his new bike? Very Happy I guess that is at least a little more dignified than a Royal Wedding. Twisted Evil

Looks as though you've made a very good investment. They always advise to buy a smaller place in an upmarket neighbourhood, rather than a big place in a lower market neighbourhood for a good investment.
watersoul
deanhills wrote:
Right, any excuse for a party will do! Even if it is a Royal wedding. I guess like with Lady Di, more people will be watching the wedding outside the UK than inside the UK? Or am I exaggerating a little now? Twisted Evil

Lol, there's still a very large element of British society who do follow the royal family in the way un-enlightened sheep are herded by a shepherd and his dog. I don't doubt for a second that many hundreds of thousands of folk on this island will be genuinely celebrating on Friday, but to me, they're just two people getting married who I don't actually know anymore than I know Bill Clinton!
In all honesty, I think the national holiday was a tactical move to ensure that everyone is 'celebrating' on 'the big day'. It was already a long weekend off work anyway as the Monday is a traditional national holiday, but now we've got a 4 day weekend to look forward to so yep, binge-drinking Britain is gonna be a crazy place to be from Friday coming! Smile

deanhills wrote:

Looks as though you've made a very good investment. They always advise to buy a smaller place in a really good neighbourhood, rather than a big place in a not so good neighbourhood for a good investment.

Sensible advice by the sound of it but my story is much simpler, I just wanted to get as close to the sea as I could so I could sling my kayak over my shoulder and walk to the shore without having to pay to park my car. This was the only place I found which I could afford, but it's only 5 minutes walk down the hill to the waters edge...so I cant see myself moving until my next plan becomes a reality. Smile

...I'm (slowly) trying to save enough to buy outright some undeveloped agricultural land on the cliffs a few miles further along the shore, then rent my house out and live in a caravan/trailer/mobile home/van/'temporary' converted shipping container/whatever, growing vegetables while enjoying life at my own seaside. I've got a kind of target of 2/3 years at the moment, but hopefully then I'll be able to say I live on a really really really quiet street! Smile

Oh, and if Bikerman was in my social circle of 'real life, see/touch/smell in person' friends then yep, we probably would celebrate the arrival of the new 2 wheeled member of the group! ..as you said, any excuse!
IceCreamTruck
Utopia GFR wrote:
Too bad, double glazing doesn't work well Sad


This statement made me wonder... glazing is something you can do to donuts! I don't understand what you mean here... please explain.
Greatking
i live in a very quite street. everybody minds their own business.
people hold prayer sessions but they are not noisy at all.
there is a bar just a few meters away from our house, but its so quite we wonder whether people visit the place.
its wonderful to live in such neighborhoods.
GoldenEagle
I live in a very small town with about 1000 people. It's pretty cool since I went to school in a city where constant sirens and yelling hoodlums were the norm. Here it's quiet and I'm the loudest person around. Ha!
watersoul
IceCreamTruck wrote:
Utopia GFR wrote:
Too bad, double glazing doesn't work well Sad


This statement made me wonder... glazing is something you can do to donuts! I don't understand what you mean here... please explain.

"Double Glazing" describes windows made with two panes of glass which are sealed together as a single unit with a gap between them for insulation & sound proofing purposes.
A Glazier (in the UK) is a person who makes or repairs glass windows.

GoldenEagle wrote:
I live in a very small town with about 1000 people. It's pretty cool since I went to school in a city where constant sirens and yelling hoodlums were the norm. Here it's quiet and I'm the loudest person around. Ha!

Wow, only a thousand people, I bet that is quiet.
There are around 140,000 people who live in the bay here, but this rises to about 200,000 in the Summer when the tourists & English language students arrive.
Bikerman
PS double glazing - as someone who has messed-around a bit with sound, here's my opinion
Yes, conventional double glazing does reduce road/traffic noise. The size and significance of the reduction depends on all sorts of factors (is your house brick/wooden-framed, is it cavity insulated, what frequencies are troubling....etc), but you will get some reduction with all but the cheapest and nastiest of double glazing. HOWEVER - fitting is actually more important than the unit in most cases - badly fitted double glazing can be worse than properly fitted single-glazing.

If you want very substantial noise reduction then you have to observe some of the principles of soundproofing. The basic metric is the TL - sound transmission loss measured in dB. This is different for different frequencies so you produce a graph of STL vs Frequency to get the full picture.
The most important variables for most purposes are separation and glass thickness. The panes need to be separated as widely as possible. The first pane will pass through sound vibrations of a certain energy. The further this has to travel, the more energy it will loose before hitting the second pane.
In a similar way, the thickness of the glass pane determines how much sound energy will be passed-through (thicker = less transmission of sound = better).
Also, using laminated glass generally produces MUCH more TL than unlaminated.

For traffic noise, the troublesome noise is likely to be in the 200-500Hz range of frequencies. Basically you want heavy glass (6mm plus) and you want a big gap - the bigger the better.
SC__Programmer
I live in HillBilly Hell Wink

Theres hardly no cars around and if you do hear something its a fourwheeler most of the time Very Happy
Really quite...all you can hear is nature,and the fourwheelers Laughing
Related topics
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> General Chat

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.