FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

DVD Writer writing upto 4.5 GB

bukaida
I have bought a DVD writer of LG which supports 20X burning speed. I have bought some moser baer blank DVD which have the capacity of 4.7GB.I am using NERO 7 as the burning software.My problem is that the DVD writer is burning upto 4.5GB and showing that capacity as the maximum.So for each DVD , I am loosing 200MB of space.Please help me out.
kuyman
It's either the brand of disks you bought or a restriction of the file system. If you can, try burning another file system. If you can't hunt around (or Google) for something about overburn. Doing a Google Search for your issue could be a lifesaver.

Hope you get it fixed.
MrBlueSky
Most manifacturers of storage-media use the 'official' GB, when specifying the capacity of a medium. In this case the number of megabytes in a gigabyte is 1000, a megabyte consists of 1000 kilobyte, etc. So 4.7 gigabyte is:

4.7*1000*1000*1000 = 4.700.000.000 bytes.

Most operating systems and software use the 'old, non-official' gigabyte when calculating the space on a drive or disk. They consider the gigabyte to be consisting of 1024 megabytes (2^30 bytes).

So 4.700.000.000 bytes will be specified by the operating system and most burning software as 4700000000 / 1073741824 =~ 4.4 GB. This is the standard capacity of DVD's.

The calculation used by the manufacturers of storage media is actually the official one, and the one used by most software is the traditional one. Officially a GB consisting of 107374182 is called a gibibyte or GiB, but this term isn't used very much yet.

So your DVD disc, in fact, doesn't have less capacity than specified on the box, but more. The capacity advertised on the box is a minimum. Most discs will have a bit more, in your case about 100 mb.

See also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigabyte
ssthanapati
oh so thats d reason... and i always used 2 wonder y i was loosing .2GB each time
greatfire
MrBlueSky, you may be right but get a clue. You have official and non-ofcial around the wrong way. The "official" count is done in binary. so the 1024 or 2^10 is the correct jump between byte and kilobyte and etc up to gigabyte.
MrBlueSky
greatfire wrote:
MrBlueSky, you may be right but get a clue. You have official and non-ofcial around the wrong way. The "official" count is done in binary. so the 1024 or 2^10 is the correct jump between byte and kilobyte and etc up to gigabyte.

The International Bureau of Weights and Measures states (about the prefixes giga-, mega-, and kilo-prefixes):

Quote:

These SI prefixes refer strictly to powers of 10. They should not be used to indicate powers of 2 (for example, one kilobit represents 1000 bits and not 1024 bits). The IEC has adopted prefixes for binary powers in the international standard IEC 60027-2: 2005, third edition, Letter symbols to be used in electrical technology Part 2: Telecommunications and electronics. The names and symbols for the prefixes corresponding to 210, 220, 230, 240, 250, and 260 are, respectively: kibi, Ki; mebi, Mi; gibi, Gi; tebi, Ti; pebi, Pi; and exbi, Ei. Thus, for example, one kibibyte would be written: 1 KiB = 210 B = 1024 B, where B denotes a byte. Although these prefixes are not part of the SI, they should be used in the field of information technology to avoid the incorrect usage of the SI prefixes.

The use of giga prefix for powers of ten, and gigi for powers of two is legally binding in the EU:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_1541 wrote:

The binary prefixes have been adopted by the European Committee for Electrotechnical Standardization (CENELEC) as the harmonization document HD 60027-2:2003-03 and therefore they are legally binding in the EU. This means that legally there is no confusion because it is clearly defined that binary prefixes have to be used for powers of two and SI prefixes only for powers of ten. This document has been adopted as a European standard.

The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) also recommends the term gigabyte, megabyte, etc. should be used to denote powers of ten, not two (IEEE 1541). This has also been adopted by the International Electrotechnical Commission (in IEC 60027-2).

This use of terms gigabyte and gigibyte is slowly gaining use. The Linux kernel, for example, already uses the giga, mega and kilobyte to denote powers of ten instead of two.

See also: http://linuxreviews.org/dictionary/Binary_prefixes/
greatfire
and yet Seagate had to settle a law suite for claiming the storage capacity of the hard drives in decimal gigabytes instead of the binary 1024. I appologise for my previous statement as it seems to depend on where you are.
aningbo
hey whats in a 200MB!! and its not good to overburn. some systems will not be able to read the files. i always stick below 4.5 GB. i never crosses the limit. have had several problems when i overburn.

good luck anyways. i still dont understand though. lol
dac_nip
oh..so that's the reason behind that? I've been burning DVD's for years now and have never considered the reason why its usually up to 4.4GB only. hmm..thanks dude..im interested in blu-ray and HD DVD now..can store up to 50GB! the ultimate data backup..hehe
bukaida
Thank you Mr.Bluesky, it seems it is the problem of convension rather than software. So there is no problem and hence nothing is to be solved.