FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Dedicated home server advice?

Fire Boar
Hi, I'm looking into having a dedicated server at home. It will function primarily as a game server. Are there any recommendations you could make on an ISP or hardware?

I am looking for something relatively inexpensive to run. It's a neverwinter nights server that should be able to handle at least 15 people at once without difficulty.
RiCtee
A dedicated server is basically a computer that is on 24/7. I would suggest you have efficient cooling and make sure that security is tightened (if it is open to the internet).
Fire Boar
I know what a dedicated server is, and it goes without saying that efficient cooling is a must. I'm more into the actual hardware - mobo, recommended ram, CPU...

Also, internet. I've been told that 1mbit up/downstream is a good amount - can I have a second opinion on that? And what ISP would you reccomend (bearing in mind the need for a static IP)?
gh0stface
Fire Boar wrote:
I know what a dedicated server is, and it goes without saying that efficient cooling is a must. I'm more into the actual hardware - mobo, recommended ram, CPU...

Also, internet. I've been told that 1mbit up/downstream is a good amount - can I have a second opinion on that? And what ISP would you reccomend (bearing in mind the need for a static IP)?

Hardware will somewhat depend on what type of game you plan on hosting on your homeserver.

Internet connection, most home cable connections aren't going to cut it. Especially if you are going to host say, an FPS server of more than 5 people. There won't be enough bandwidth to go around and people will have start having higher pings. Having a dedicated line, such as a T1, T3, OC3 and so forth will allow you to host a higher amount of people with out sacrificing high pings.

At least I think that's how it is.
PseudoKnight
I'm not exactly sure on the requirements of a NWN2 server, but I imagine you'll be fine with whatever you have as long as it's dedicated. Bandwidth MIGHT be an issue with over 10 people on a typical cable connection. Just look it up.
Fire Boar
In fact this is NWN1, not 2. I think Obsidian have nicked Bioware's NWN1 server engine though, since it worked so well, so it's pretty similar (even down to the incompatability with dual-core CPUs!).

I've asked around, and found that pretty much any PC nowadays can handle many players at once. As for bandwidth, a DSL connections seems the way to go - we won't need more than 1mb/s. T1 at the most.

Thanks for the advice to all who posted.
DecayClan
I don't knwo about the interne connections that you got there, but i would recommend something with great upload(so... NO ADSL).

As for the hardware...
I would get a low Intel Core 2 Duo CPU
2GB DDR2 Kingston Ram (667)
Do you need lots of HD space?
2x160GB western Digital 16MB buffer sata 2 (raid for safety)
1 cheap DVD-RW
Motherboard, something like :
GigaByte G31MX-S2 FSB1333 VGA DDRII
A nice SPACY full tower, with some fans
THERMALTAKE W0163 TOUGHPOWER 650W QFAN
Also get a UPS...

Make sure that there is a nice airflow, and you are ready... I believe that a machine like that is pretty cheap, but powerfull enough and steady to be your server( you said NV1, so even half the cpu, and half the ram, will be powerfull enough, but i believe that this is a best buy...)