FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Intel single CPU will disappear?

firmnesszhao
what do you think?
myrevolt
My next sub-notebook will have a core solo, less power consumption. I do expect single core CPUs to slowly disappear in desktops though. However, although most (if not all) OSes have dual (and hopefully quad+) core support however applications lag behind. The other revolution that is slow in coming is 64-bit but from what I understand programming in parallel is more difficult than it seems. You can't forget that AMD, VIA and others manufacture CPUs too!
PseudoKnight
Single cores will stick around for a long time because they're ideal for low profile systems. Though, Intel doesn't have a huge stake in portable devices so I can see single core Intel CPUs going extinct.

[edit]

And so they will. I just ran across this little blog post:
http://arstechnica.com/journals/hardware.ars/2007/10/18/intel-phasing-out-single-core-desktop-processors
djclue917
Basing from the title of the article, only single-core desktop processors will be phased out which means that single-core processors might still be in production for portable devices for years to come...
Arnie
As a matter of fact, Pentium 1 processors have been shipped until 24 November 2005, mostly for use in embedded systems.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/01/14/intel_pentium_death_delay/

Comparable story for the Pentium II.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/12/03/intel_eol_p2/
emem
they probably will disappear but not so soon, because those Celeron D's are practically the core architecture, but are very cheap. Around 30 I think.
Bones
Of course they will eventually become extinct. Just like punch card data storage did Laughing
I imagine you will still see single core cpu's for some time yet with projects like trying to bring computers to 3rd world countries etc, but eventually they will disappear from the retail pc market.
bulek
Of course they will, as well as well as dual-core after one year. There are already quad core processors out there which are getting more and more cheaper. The technology goes further. Wink
qscomputing
Well until fairly recently it was only servers that had multiple processors - desktops and laptops simply had faster and faster single processors. But fairly recently chip manufacturers realised that they simply couldn't build them much faster without being really expensive and running at a very high temperature. But you can put two processors on the same chip and it'll work like having a faster processor - cheaper to develop and produce and doesn't produce nearly as much heat.

No, I don't think single-processor chips will ever die, but I think they'll become less and less common over time.
DecayClan
Also, what is "extinct" excactly?
I mean, when 96% of the laptops and 99% of the desktops(all ready-made deals) will be with dual core cpus(and that is SOON), doesn't that mean that the single-core cpu's have disappeared?

You will have to search in order to find one...

So, i believe that they will soon be "extinct"

Have a nice day! Cool
emem
He meant that production of single cored cpus will disappear.