FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Wireless network setup. Unstable connection

Arno v. Lumig
Hello,

Recently I tried to set up an new wireless network for a friend of mine, because his previous router wasn't strong enough to reach the whole house. They bought a Linksys WRT300N, because it has a much stronger signal. Because they have a cable modem installing the router would be a matter of plugging it into the modem and setting some wireless security. Everything went well, until I tried to make a wireless connection with the router. The computer would say it was "Connected", but I couldn't access the router setup page (192.168.1.1), or use the internet. Only the computers that were connected wired were able to connect.
There were also several other problems: The SSID of the router sometimes didn't show up in the list of available networks, even though the signal strength was very high when it did show up. A few times the wireless network even worked for several seconds, and then it would get disconnected.
The network consist of 6 computers (4 desktops, 2 laptops) and they all have to be connected wirelessly. As said before: The wired connection works just fine but the wireless connection is very unstable.
A funny thing is that the previous router was also very unstable, but we thought it was just an error in the router.
I'm really puzzled on what to do next in order to make this network work, I hope someone can help me a bit.

Thanks in advance,
Arno
fadirocks
Reset setting to default for now!
Don't put up an security yet!!!
keep the router away from TV!!! and any other strong electromagnetic emitters
put up an SSID easy to recognize
on the laptop clear Access Points and find new SSID
if that work then it's great if not
Play with broadcasting channel and choose something else!
If everything is still working fine you can put up WPA-psk security
remove the access point from your laptop then try to add it again and will ask you for paraphrase to access WPA protected network put that in and everything should work if not! then there is something wrong with the router!!!!
Try to update its firmware or read up its manual!

I'm not big fan of linksys because they gave me more headache than other brands
Arno v. Lumig
fadirocks wrote:
Reset setting to default for now!
Don't put up an security yet!!!
keep the router away from TV!!! and any other strong electromagnetic emitters
put up an SSID easy to recognize
on the laptop clear Access Points and find new SSID
if that work then it's great if not
Play with broadcasting channel and choose something else!
If everything is still working fine you can put up WPA-psk security
remove the access point from your laptop then try to add it again and will ask you for paraphrase to access WPA protected network put that in and everything should work if not! then there is something wrong with the router!!!!
Try to update its firmware or read up its manual!

I'm not big fan of linksys because they gave me more headache than other brands

Thanks for your answer, but I have already done all that to no avail. Sad
bukaida
The same problem faced by me while trying to connect two laptops by wireless(802.11 b/g).
Arno v. Lumig
It now works on one laptop (for no reason at all.. It just started working), but the other PC's still only work wired...
otiscom
Isn't the adress of the router 192.168.0.1 not 192.168.1.1?
Kelvin
Yup it should be 192.168.0.1 by default, not 192.168.1.1

If the area you are using the wireless router have many other wireless connections, especially with the same name for an SSID, you will definately be experiencing lots of connection problems. Try connecting with the default 192.168.0.1 address and change the settings accordingly. Once you are connection to the admin settings page, change the channel too.
securnet
try also to keep the network configuration of your laptop to the default DHCP client (obtain IP address and DNS by DHCP), then when the connection is established (You said that sometimes the laptop connects to tour wifi network) look at your IP address. so You will know which network and subnet you are using. then try to ping your device in the correct network.
securnet
Hi again, today I found an interesting information about a problem like the one You experienced with. In fact a friend of mine that had the problem to be disconnected from his wifi network solved the problem in the following manner:
He has a linksys WRT54GS router, in the "wireless" configuration he had the "wireless network mode" set to "mixed". The solution has been to change it to "Only G".
Try it.
bye bye

http://stence.blogspot.com/
http://securnet.forumfree.org/
Arno v. Lumig
Several other people have tried installing that router, but it still only works sometimes. They now just use a cable to connect, because the wireless network really doesn't work. It is exactly the same problem then the previous router had, so it's not likely that it is a faulty router.

My guess is that there is some strange kind of interference going on, it might have to do with the amount of metal used in the ceilings and walls of that house.