FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

iPod problems never end

Tony The Tiger
Can someone tell me what is so magical about restoring an iPod. After every problem that I describe to them at the Apple Store Genius Bar they tell me to try to restore my iPod. I had a problem 3 weeks ago and they told me to restore my iPod. Then I came back last week and told them that it only fixed part of the problem and they asked me to restore my iPod. I did so again and instead of solving the problem I began to have two new problems. I am now having problems with my on-the-go playlist if I add songs after I start playing it when the iPod gets to the new songs it replays the first song on the original list. This is an old problem that was not solved with the first restore. Also, my iPod randomly chooses about 250 songs and treats them as if they are new songs being synched during the synchronization. Now, I have a new problem where a big clock appears on the screen after a minute of inactivity if I do not have the backlight always on.
brokenadvice
Have the people at the genius bar restore your iPod. Basically it wipes the firmware off and starts from scratch. You may have a faulty repair utility on your computer. If you cannot get to the genius bar, take it to a friends house or best buy and restore it from there. Hope it works!
Tony The Tiger
brokenadvice wrote:
Have the people at the genius bar restore your iPod. Basically it wipes the firmware off and starts from scratch. You may have a faulty repair utility on your computer. If you cannot get to the genius bar, take it to a friends house or best buy and restore it from there. Hope it works!

I have restored it myself and the problems have not been solved. I wish they would do something specific to solve my problem. Restoring is the iPod reboot as far as I understand it except with 80 GB of files it takes about 2.5 hours to do. Since this has not solved my problems they should do something else. Telling me to keep rebooting sounds very unscientific.
markblu
i would honestly invest in something other than an ipod. i personally have gone through the 4th gen 40gb, an old school shuffle, a nano 1gb, and a 30gb video myself, all of which just die unexpectedly or got that non-fixable error screen telling you to restore the damned thing. i've played around with the zune, it looks pretty cool. i've heard the new samsung yp-p2 touchscreen is sweet. idk there are other options..
Tony The Tiger
markblu wrote:
i would honestly invest in something other than an ipod. i personally have gone through the 4th gen 40gb, an old school shuffle, a nano 1gb, and a 30gb video myself, all of which just die unexpectedly or got that non-fixable error screen telling you to restore the damned thing. i've played around with the zune, it looks pretty cool. i've heard the new samsung yp-p2 touchscreen is sweet. idk there are other options..

I have bought the two year service plan for $59. If anything goes wrong they will have to replace my iPod. I am not worried about a major breakdown. My first iPod (60GB video) froze down in its 13th month and Apple replaced it. I am just annoyed. I went to the apple store yesterday to inquire about problems I am having adding albums to the on the go play list and they told me that the on the go play list is only designed for singles.
sopetite
My iPOD is really a veteran when it comes to restoration.

I am having problems with it every 4 months, and the restore utility ain't friendly with my Windows PC, the MAC pcs work great with iPod though
goldfinger
My ipod nano is freezing so many times, i cant count it. Only a reset helps me out.
emem
I had never had any problems with my ipods... So I'm now going to buy a brand new ipod video Smile
Tony The Tiger
goldfinger wrote:
My ipod nano is freezing so many times, i cant count it. Only a reset helps me out.

I guess I should be thankful that my basic iPod functions work in general.