FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

~ FriHost Redesign Project ~

LukeakaDanish
PRETEXT

The project is over. All the following is no longer relevant. If you would like to use my template for something else, PM me, it's yours for free...

OLD STUFF

Hello all.

Disclaimer
Firstly: I have read the posting rules for the suggestion forum - many times - and I know I'm not really sposed to make the suggestion. But please keep reading anyway, and then make you decision.

Concept
The frihost starting page (www.frihost.com) looks awful. The design looks ten years old. Whereas I respect Bondings loads, he is no web3.0 webdesigner. This place needs a makeover.

Luckily there are many GOOD designers on frihost - in all humbleness, I consider myself one of them.

Lets redesign frihost!

With lots of advice from more than 120 posts in this topic I have produced THIS. <<<< CLICK

Ideas
I've worked on some artwork for the front page - this is the most "pressing" issue, as this is what new potential users/members see first, and what should "lure" them in. I have also designed a frihost logo.

Click for full-size version

Click for full-size version (363kb)

Coded version: http://lukedk.frih.net/temp/frp1.1/

This is version 2.1 of the design...the older 2.0 which many people commented on is still viewable here

If you are interested in the .xcf source artwork for either of the version and/or the icons and logo (large versions, around 800*800) please PM me and I'll send you the files.

Response
Lets get the suggestion forum buzzing with new design ideas for frihost!

Please give feedback on my designs - if you all like e'm (Bondings included) I'll happily code them in xhtml/css.

EDIT: I did that! Check it here: http://lukedk.frih.net/temp/frp1.1/

But don't stop there! Frihost is full of things that could look and work better - so start suggesting them! And if the evil mods/admins close your topics because "Bondings is busy" or whatever...stick it to the man by starting the topic again and this time suggesting that you yourself do the work.

Lets make frihost web 3.0!

Linkage

You could help frihost by linking to frihost.com with one of these 2 banners:

saratdear
That design is absolutely stunning! Really fantastic work.

I can't say I have bothered about Frihost looks for quite some time now, since I only come to the forums. But yes, it does need a makeover.
rvec
Not so long ago someone in the IRC channel told me he thought frihost was dead when he first found the site. Later when he joined he found out it wasn't. He said it was all thanks to the current lame design.

I like the new design but I think also some text on the front-page should be changed.
We have over 650K posts
and over 30K members

I don't know if Bondings wants someone else to touch his code but since he doesn't have the time I think it might be a good idea to make a contest of it. With a "Designer" rank as the first price.
LukeakaDanish
rvec wrote:
I like the new design but I think also some text on the front-page should be changed.
We have over 650K posts
and over 30K members

I know the text is a bit outdated aswel - and there's a bit to much of it in my opinion - most internet users loose attention after round about 150-200 characters and start looking for a button to press.

I didn't want to make the design too different from the current one though - it's a redesign - not a restart - which is why I also kept the original "slogan" - "redesigning free webhosting", although frihost's strength now has become the size of the community rather than the not-so-unique concept.

Changes to this type of thing could be made after a new design is implemented imo.

But yea - please make an official contest Smile That would definitely make my day Razz
rvec
I won't start an official contest, I think Bondings needs to give his permission. It was a suggestion and maybe bondings should take a look it.

The big community is just one of the advantages of the hosting system Frihost uses .
ftv_flung
I gotta admit that the homepage is pretty crappy, and as the OP said old.
LukeakaDanish
Another idea: "Latest blogs" and "Featured Discussions" are ideal candidates for content that it would be wise to show on the front page, both to attract visitors but also for SEO!
rvec
I think bondings is working on RSS feeds for the blogs. I'm not sure when he will finish this but I can tell I'm also waiting on it to add the feed to the IRC-Bot.
Manofgames
I think it would be good to redesign the site, and in particular, revive the old designer title (which was awarded to the member who designed the forum ranks).

As many have said, Frihost exists because of its community, so it would be beneficial to somehow involve the community in designing the regeneration of frihost.

Remember how popular the photoshop contest was? I'm sure there are tonnes of people who'd be willing to get involved.
Jaan
Very good idea!

It's sort of ironic, really!

We definitely need a makeover and I'm sure many amateur designers would volunteer for the credit!

Someone should also redesign the phpbb theme!

Cheers!
Peterssidan
I see that many of you that have made previous responds is positive to this idea. But I have to give my thoughts.

I feel safe and confortable here in this look. LukeakaDanish your design looks great but it gives me the feeling of all those crapy "free hosts" that put advertising on your site or has bad uptime or disapear in the near future. I don't think frihost symbolize that. It gives me trust.

I can admit that the home page looks a bit crapy so it might be a good thing to change if Bondings whant more users to join.
I think it is the fact that it looks like the site has been here for a long time it gives the feeling that it will stay for ever. and I hope it will.
ocalhoun
A redesign might indeed be a good idea, if only for the reason that, as stated before, people might assume that this site is dead from looking at the outdated home page.

A contest might be the best way to do it.

There would have to be a rule that states that if the page doesn't render properly in any of the major web browsers, that entry must be repaired or disqualified.
After giving them some time to make entries, either have a vote on it, or let the staff decide which one to use.
The only reward that would need to be offered would be a small text at the bottom saying who designed the page. That would probably draw plenty of designers.
If you wanted to, you could also make it clear from the start that if none of the entries suits your fancy, the page will stay the way it is.
LukeakaDanish
@peterssidan:

Thanks for the responce - I do indeed think you are right - I should have put more focus on the "no adds" part of the deal

@ocalhoun:

Yep, exactly what I think! Although the designer rank that Manofgames talked about sound nice too Wink

@Jaan:

phpBB theme is probably not THAT easy to redesign because of the amount of mods bondings has made to this forum - and also, it looks ok for now IMO.

That having been said...of course we should redesign it at some point Wink
xkobram
I think that redesign is not bad idea. I think it should be more colourful. I like some ideas of your project. But I think it should be more shiny and the text should be changed. I also dont like white space between everthing. My eyes must search the content. But i like the menu and logo, the left corner looks great.
Arnie
Good idea, although we don't want the total size of the frontpage over 650k... so I'm not sure how you're going to convert that sample image to an actual page in HTML without using... images?

But maybe I'm not thinking web 3.0 (I prefer web 0.0 myself, as you can see on my website...)
LukeakaDanish
Arnie wrote:
Good idea, although we don't want the total size of the frontpage over 650k... so I'm not sure how you're going to convert that sample image to an actual page in HTML without using... images?

But maybe I'm not thinking web 3.0 (I prefer web 0.0 myself, as you can see on my website...)

I am quite certain that I can code that @ < 100kb Smile

@xkobram:

Thanks for the advice and praise! - whitespace is staying, otherwise it looks cluttered to me, but I might try making it more colourful/shiny if there ever is a contest or possibility it might be used for something. I just really want to keep it looking professional...
dsaonline
i think the design is very good, i'm new, and a believe that aplying the new design it could look better, i hope it can be applied
garionw
just remember that Google uses a set font for their ads, so it would look out of place compared to the other boxes
LukeakaDanish
garionw wrote:
just remember that Google uses a set font for their ads, so it would look out of place compared to the other boxes

I think there is an api thingie to fix that problem...or at least make it not so problematic Smile
snowboardalliance
Good job, that looks nice. It would be a good idea to make a new design.
isledepoba
that's a really nice design!
I also really like the logo. You use photoshop or GIMP?
LukeakaDanish
isledepoba wrote:

I used the GIMP ^^

Thanks snowboardalliance and isledepoba, for the kind words Smile
D'Artagnan
LukeakaDanish wrote:
isledepoba wrote:

I used the GIMP ^^

Wow! you've changed my mind about gimp, i loved the design...

Let me make a contructive critic... i think that is not a good idea place the link boxes (advertisements , popular forums, Sample sites) at the bottom of a design that dont fit 1024x768, since most people use this resolution. I think this because it would hide the ads , so the click rate would lower) the info about hosted websites, and shortcuts/info to foruns, mainly the language forums that make many international users sign up.

just a sugestion...
LukeakaDanish
D'Artagnan wrote:
LukeakaDanish wrote:
isledepoba wrote:

I used the GIMP ^^

Wow! you've changed my mind about gimp, i loved the design...

Its not so much the program that counts, as the designer Wink - that having been said I do really like the gimp - new version 2.4 also adds new cool stuff...

Quote:

Let me make a contructive critic... i think that is not a good idea place the link boxes (advertisements , popular forums, Sample sites) at the bottom of a design that dont fit 1024x768, since most people use this resolution. I think this because it would hide the ads , so the click rate would lower) the info about hosted websites, and shortcuts/info to foruns, mainly the language forums that make many international users sign up.

just a sugestion...

Thanks for the tip - I think the content (in the main box) perhaps should just be made quite a bit smaller - by removing some of the content...because atm there is just too much, as someone also pointed out earlier.

Thanks for the feedback...
SonLight
LukeakaDanish,

I really like your idea of making the front page a little nicer. The question is, can it be done without Bondings needing to either trust another coder too much, or spend a long time looking at the code provided. I think a lot of the benefit could be provided through a css page, which would be largely independent of content. Perhaps Bondings, or a designer, could add a few extra labels to the html to enable the css to have a little more control. We may not be ready to use completely modern techniques, but a good simple style is something that could improve appearance fairly painlessly.

Maybe Bondings would allow us to post trial versions of the home page, either on our site or somewhere on the main site. A comparison file showing word-by-word differences in the html would reassure him that no major changes have been required. Some rules would need to be followed to avoid the possibility of search engine trouble. I suggest only framed views, nofollow (and noindex?) on the links, and a clear disclaimer added to the page that this is a __sample, proposed version__ of the home page, so no one thinks it's the real thing. Then, if some designs pass muster to be given further consideration, we could have a vote, preferably with good comments about why we liked the ones we favored. Then the mods could vote, their opinion probably carrying the day, until Bondings finally rules.

I came here considering making blog entries easier for search engines to find, which brought up the issue of a better blog index, of course. But one thing at a time. Let's see if the community here can help with a front page. If so, some variant of that style is likely to be considered for other places on the site, too.

PS. The design you made rocks. Whether it "works" for the site or not, it was a great example to use in the opening post.
LukeakaDanish
SonLight wrote:
LukeakaDanish,

I really like your idea of making the front page a little nicer. The question is, can it be done without Bondings needing to either trust another coder too much, or spend a long time looking at the code provided. I think a lot of the benefit could be provided through a css page, which would be largely independent of content. Perhaps Bondings, or a designer, could add a few extra labels to the html to enable the css to have a little more control. We may not be ready to use completely modern techniques, but a good simple style is something that could improve appearance fairly painlessly.

Maybe Bondings would allow us to post trial versions of the home page, either on our site or somewhere on the main site. A comparison file showing word-by-word differences in the html would reassure him that no major changes have been required. Some rules would need to be followed to avoid the possibility of search engine trouble. I suggest only framed views, nofollow (and noindex?) on the links, and a clear disclaimer added to the page that this is a __sample, proposed version__ of the home page, so no one thinks it's the real thing. Then, if some designs pass muster to be given further consideration, we could have a vote, preferably with good comments about why we liked the ones we favored. Then the mods could vote, their opinion probably carrying the day, until Bondings finally rules.

I came here considering making blog entries easier for search engines to find, which brought up the issue of a better blog index, of course. But one thing at a time. Let's see if the community here can help with a front page. If so, some variant of that style is likely to be considered for other places on the site, too.

PS. The design you made rocks. Whether it "works" for the site or not, it was a great example to use in the opening post.

Thankyou! ...and thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Basically, as long as the designer only provides a xhtml/css template (meaning no php and minimal js) there shouldn't be any security concern for bondings as far as i can see.

Good idea about creating some kind of preview page for the changes though, I might give coding that a go!
wumingsden
OK. My opinion on this thread.

First I believe that frihost could be giving a slight "facelift" (so to speak).

The community of Frihost is also of course very important, and it maybe a good idea to get them involved with updating it slightly.
However, for a sole member to construct the whole of a possible new design, I think, is a bad idea. Personally I'd prefer it if numerous designs were created, by Bondings, and the community of frihost then vote on which they prefer. That way, it is truely a community decision.

I like the fact that you've dedicated your time to actually come up with ideas and designs. And if/when Steve see's this thread then he may decide sooner to give it a facelift.

Oh. Also, I don't think frihost should be changed so dramatically that it'll look like every other host out there. A clinical, straight-edge host. I consider frihost more of a home than that, like a second family.
LukeakaDanish
wumingsden wrote:
OK. My opinion on this thread.

First I believe that frihost could be giving a slight "facelift" (so to speak).

The community of Frihost is also of course very important, and it maybe a good idea to get them involved with updating it slightly.
However, for a sole member to construct the whole of a possible new design, I think, is a bad idea. Personally I'd prefer it if numerous designs were created, by Bondings, and the community of frihost then vote on which they prefer. That way, it is truely a community decision.

I like the fact that you've dedicated your time to actually come up with ideas and designs. And if/when Steve see's this thread then he may decide sooner to give it a facelift.

Oh. Also, I don't think frihost should be changed so dramatically that it'll look like every other host out there. A clinical, straight-edge host. I consider frihost more of a home than that, like a second family.

As rvec previously suggested, this could be done with an official redesign contest - that would be awesome - this is not about me redesigning frihost, this is about the community redesigning frihost.

This is also why the design stuff I've done is released with the option of asking me for source artwork (opensource pretty much!)...so the rest of the community can change it...if they have any good ideas we can work together to create the new design.

The thing about what you think about frihost is...it's not really that important! (no offense Wink) The ONLY purpose of the front page design is attracting new members - presumably once you're a part of frihost you'll only really use the forums, and whether or not you think the front page portrays how you feel about frihost is...of less importance anyway.

That having been said, Frihost isn't like most other hosts, and to a certain degree I agree that the page should show that. Nonetheless, frihost is about reliability, features, support, professionalism, and pricing...like all those other hosts, and to show these traits the page will have to have some of the same characteristics - perhaps with more focus on the "community" bit though - once/if I make a v1.1 of the page I will take that idea into concideration.

Thankyou for your reply!
ocalhoun
^Thats true. We have to remember that the home page's main function is to give a first impression to new members.
Everything they think about Frihost will probably be decided within a few seconds of them looking at that page.
As it is now, I don't think it gives as good of an impression as it could. The content and layout are near perfect, but the design is a bit bland, generic, and uninspiring.

That may be one problem with the concept of having the members vote on which design to use; they are likely to choose the prettiest design, which may or may not actually be the design that gives the best impression to new members.

Perhaps there could be some way for each member to add his or her own touches to the design, making it a collaborative effort better than any one member could do on his/her own.
rvec
it's not possible to do that. It would be better if all designs would be public and users wanting to make a new design can base it on another design.
LukeakaDanish
rvec wrote:
it's not possible to do that.

Ehm...I kinda disagree there.

The only problem I can see is that photoshop users can't use GIMP coz they can't figure the interface, and people like me who use GIMP can't use photoshop coz they can't afford it AND they can't figure the interface (I cant anyway...)

I actually think its a good idea. Of course they'll never want to do this, but I would (in admins/bondings place) make a separate forum and allow each separate design to have a separate a topic where everyone can contribute ideas/updates.

That way its also quite easy to pick one / vote for the right one at the end.
rvec
I think we could easily make a site to host some contest like this. Just a picture gallery with the screenshots and a link to a zipfile/tarfile with the code of a design with every screenshot. Suggestions can be made in the comments and maybe a forum if people want to cooperate. Votes can be made in the gallery on a screenshot.

But whatever way we want to start a contest i think we'd need some starting scripts from Bondings first. We can do whatever we want but unless Bondings wants to give some code there is no way we can make a design.
LukeakaDanish
rvec wrote:
But whatever way we want to start a contest i think we'd need some starting scripts from Bondings first. We can do whatever we want but unless Bondings wants to give some code there is no way we can make a design.

Nah thats fine! I can code and host it no problemo Smile
garionw
LukeakaDanish wrote:
The only problem I can see is that photoshop users can't use GIMP coz they can't figure the interface, and people like me who use GIMP can't use photoshop coz they can't afford it AND they can't figure the interface (I cant anyway...)

I cant use either because of the interface!
James007
Very nice LukeakaDanish!
That's a very cute logo!

I'm very curious on how this is going to evolve... Frihost needs a facelift (Do I sound too Debby Travis-like? I hope not.)

Don't let Bondings tell you that he will "base his new design on yours" (as then we will have a new website in 2028). Please forgive him (and me too yes...) for being a little inactive as we are approaching a very busy period in our university studies.

Anyway, I like the new design. Maybe you could upload a new home page for Frihost on your hosting account so we can have a look.

If we would make a contest about it, I would prefer one head designer (as in "you") and all the other people making suggestions.

That's about everything I can think of on this early hour... (in Belgium that is).

Good luck anyway!

Be careful what you wish for!
rvec
Why a head designer? I think it would be better to have multiple designers and the possibility to make suggestions and vote. That way we will not have only one design, and Bondings can choose one in the end.
ocalhoun
^Why not take both approaches at the same time, and choose the best result?
Have the contest as discussed above, and have the collaborative project be one (or more) of the choices.
James007
rvec wrote:
Why a head designer? I think it would be better to have multiple designers and the possibility to make suggestions and vote. That way we will not have only one design, and Bondings can choose one in the end.

Because I think collaboration is better than competition and it would generate team spirit.
LukeakaDanish
James007 wrote:
Anyway, I like the new design. Maybe you could upload a new home page for Frihost on your hosting account so we can have a look.

Yep ok...give me a couple of days (maybe 3 or 4 actually) to update the design with some of the good ideas people in this topic have come up with, and then code the xhtml and css.

Thanks for liking it! Wink

If you make a contest than I'm a part of that with my design - if you want me as "head designer" then I'll gladly attempt to fulfill that role aswel Smile
James007
Nah, that's just my opinion. We are awaiting official confirmation... Very Happy
truespeed
If you have one designer then your going to get one type of design,even if he/she creates a few alternatives the fact they are coming from the same source means they will be similar,having a contest means you will get more variation,and more choice,so i think a contest for the initial design would be best,maybe once you have chosen the winning design,then you could open it up for comments on how to improve it further.
James007
It's oh so quiet... shhhht... It's oh so still...

Let's make some noise (as it is an interesting topic)
LukeakaDanish
Right...time to make some noise them!

I've updated the design on the first page of the post. If you can't see the changes, this image might come in handy:

I've tried to improve all the aspects that people asked for in this topic, but of course not everybody will be happy...keep commenting though, it really does help me!

Short list of things i've tried to do:

• More colourful - I've changed the background and added some new colorful elements
  • More shiney - look at all the shiny icons I've been doing Razz
  • More focus on the community - I added the top right corner, AND some quick links to the community just under the content
  • More simple content - I've changed the layout and and added some descriptive icons to the text
  • More focus on FREE and RELIABLE - see text to the right of community links AND more easy on the eye content.
  • Move adds into focus by making content smaller
  • Slightly less white space than before

Right...Smile
James007
Wow... very wow!

I absolutely love your "iconic" talent! Is that all gimp-stuff?
LukeakaDanish
James007 wrote:
Wow... very wow!

Thanks again...

Yea its all gimp...some of the icons (especially the dudes in the top right) came out pretty well - but the server thing, which i originally wanted to do a harddrive for...that still doesn't look perfect...might try fixing it tomoz...or something
Manofgames
LukeakaDanish wrote:
James007 wrote:
Wow... very wow!

Thanks again...

Yea its all gimp...some of the icons (especially the dudes in the top right) came out pretty well - but the server thing, which i originally wanted to do a harddrive for...that still doesn't look perfect...might try fixing it tomoz...or something

Came out well? Shocked
I'm still in shock that you managed to create something so amazing in the gimp!!

Version 2.1 is definitely better than 2.0, is much easier to read, and the reader's eye is drawn to the icons instantly.
I have mixed feelings about the blob Confused , but the overall effect is very impressive.
Its definitely different from other web host themes, this one seems more... vibrant Smile
The only problem that I can see is that (if theoretically) this design was used, the forum skin would look dull and depressing Razz
Perhaps you could add some icony bullet points in the popular forums / sample sites boxes, so as to draw the eye to them as well?

Applause Great Job Applause

Alex

@James, nice song Smile
LukeakaDanish
Manofgames wrote:
Came out well? Shocked
I'm still in shock that you managed to create something so amazing in the gimp!!

Version 2.1 is definitely better than 2.0, is much easier to read, and the reader's eye is drawn to the icons instantly.
I have mixed feelings about the blob Confused , but the overall effect is very impressive.
Its definitely different from other web host themes, this one seems more... vibrant Smile
The only problem that I can see is that (if theoretically) this design was used, the forum skin would look dull and depressing Razz
Perhaps you could add some icony bullet points in the popular forums / sample sites boxes, so as to draw the eye to them as well?

Applause Great Job Applause

Thanks Smile

Just to clarify: what do you mean when you say the "blob" - the background?

Well...the forum design is also something which the frihost redesign project should focus on at some point...the colourschemes are somewhat similar though, so it wont seam like a complete "misunderstanding" when you enter the forums Smile

Good idea with the bullet icons, I'll do that for version 2.2 Wink
James007
Right in from the admin: he'll have a look very soon, but he's extremely busy right now.
Ahh... University... a lot of work anyway.
Manofgames
The blob = the new logo (Fh in the blobby thing Confused )
It looks a little odd for a host..... maybe a bit too web 2.0

EDIT: Yay this is my 1000'th post Very Happy
EDIT2: Tear drop was the word I was looking for, and perhaps it's one of those things that you need to see for a while before you like it...
LukeakaDanish
James007 wrote:
Right in from the admin: he'll have a look very soon, but he's extremely busy right now.

Yay Smile

@ Manofgames: Hm...A lot of people have said they really like it in this thread and on msn...it's not that I'm not up for trying some other options though...what kinda thing would you suggest? I could merge it into the file no problemo...
rvec
James007 wrote:

LOL, we should make him a list in the staff forum.
TO DO LIST:
take a look at LukeakaDanish's design
take a look at an AWIT
another AWIT
5 pms
2 mail

@LukeakaDanish: Shocked Would be very cool if this would become the new design. Those icons are a real good idea, they draw attention.
darvit
This is a beautiful design. Very very beautiful. It is way better than the first version. I wanted to comment on that old design when you first posted it up here, but I didn't know how to say what I wanted to say [I basically thought that it looked like it lacks something], plus I've been too busy with uni lately...

This, on the other hand is just very good design. It's not too "Web 2.0/3.0", I think, because the shine and gloss isn't overkill and both work well in the design. Very Happy

My only suggestion is for you to improve the footer. The header is fantastic, but you would notice that the overall design gets a bit washed out and bland by the time we get to the footer. I think footers are important as well, so I think a border here or a bit of color would greatly help.

PS: I am also very impressed with the GIMP's capabilities! Very Happy This is probably the first time I've seen a great example of a GIMP-produced piece. Very Happy
PPS: @James007: I love that song! Razz
LukeakaDanish
darvit wrote:
This is a beautiful design. Very very beautiful. It is way better than the first version. I wanted to comment on that old design when you first posted it up here, but I didn't know how to say what I wanted to say [I basically thought that it looked like it lacks something], plus I've been too busy with uni lately...

This, on the other hand is just very good design. It's not too "Web 2.0/3.0", I think, because the shine and gloss isn't overkill and both work well in the design. Very Happy

My only suggestion is for you to improve the footer. The header is fantastic, but you would notice that the overall design gets a bit washed out and bland by the time we get to the footer. I think footers are important as well, so I think a border here or a bit of color would greatly help.

PS: I am also very impressed with the GIMP's capabilities! Very Happy This is probably the first time I've seen a great example of a GIMP-produced piece. Very Happy
PPS: @James007: I love that song! Razz

Thankyou for the kind words...

I'll try adding some more structure to the footer for version 2.2, however I cant promise to change it too drastically. Mainly this is because the content is so long that the footer wont be visible on most screens. Adding more fancy graphics to the footer adds load time (which already is gonna be quite a bit more than the old design) and most people probably won't scroll to see it. But lets wait and see, I'll certainly keep your suggestion on my mind when I do the next update

Thanks to you too rvec Smile
ocalhoun
^Doesn't have to be too much; just a little gradient matching the ones in the top left would do nicely, I think.
Arnie
Yes it looks good, but I still wonder how this is going to look after you transfer it into HTML. And if it looks the same, I wonder how many kB of images are used.

A design in a graphical application is one thing, but it's hard to perfectly translate that to web code. Unless you use mostly images taken from the graphical template, but that generates massive overhead.

For example, how are you going to make the colour effect (blue lines) on the top left, without using an image? I'm quite opposed to picture-dominated layouts, that's why I'm presenting this. Would any of you care to present an HTML file instead of just pictures?
darvit
I gotta go really soon, so sorry for this one-sentence post... but anyway, my suggestions:

LukeakaDanish
Arnie wrote:
Yes it looks good, but I still wonder how this is going to look after you transfer it into HTML. And if it looks the same, I wonder how many kB of images are used.

A design in a graphical application is one thing, but it's hard to perfectly translate that to web code. Unless you use mostly images taken from the graphical template, but that generates massive overhead.

For example, how are you going to make the colour effect (blue lines) on the top left, without using an image? I'm quite opposed to picture-dominated layouts, that's why I'm presenting this. Would any of you care to present an HTML file instead of just pictures?

I will replicate it so everything appart from the text (which is rendered by the browser, and therefor displays slightly differently from the way i've done it in the file) looks 95% the same. There might be some design problems i haven't thought of, however when making graphics I think of the code.

I am 18 years old, but I am a professional webdesigner (as in I make money from webdesign, which should be evident from my work) and am in my own opinion an expert xhtml/css coder. I have no doubt I am capable of coding this, in fact I've coded much more complex layouts.

How am I gonna do the blue lines? An image! Wink - most people (especially techy people who want webhosting) have broadband now a days and a proper design utilizes that. That may mean 60-70kb of images (my estimate) on this page. With icons and other stuff I've added for version 2.1 perhaps a bit more...perhaps 100kb. You may not like that (why?) but I'm afraid this is one piece of advice I'm not going to listen to. Graphics are needed to make attractive websites.

I'll code it when I'm 100% happy with the graphics, and as you guys are still making suggestions, thats not yet.

@ocalhoun: I'm working on something like that atm...
LukeakaDanish
darvit wrote:
I gotta go really soon, so sorry for this one-sentence post... but anyway, my suggestions:

Thanks, some good ideas in there.

I've been working to do footer somewhat similar to what you've done (i've pretty much used the top menu, scaled down a bit) I'll post when finnished.

About the boxes being plain, I've added graphic bulletpoints to the text which makes it look better (imo). I kinda like your idea with adding the graphics to the right of the boxes, however I am concerned that it will break the layout at smaller rezes (780px width is the minimum I want this to work with without scrolling). I've got a couple of good ideas from looking at your work though, lets see how the final version ends up Wink

Thankyou for taking the time!

EDIT: sry for double post... Wink
Arnie
Quote:
How am I gonna do the blue lines? An image! - most people (especially techy people who want webhosting) have broadband now a days and a proper design utilizes that. That may mean 60-70kb of images (my estimate) on this page. With icons and other stuff I've added for version 2.1 perhaps a bit more...perhaps 100kb. You may not like that (why?) but I'm afraid this is one piece of advice I'm not going to listen to. Graphics are needed to make attractive websites.
Graphics are not required to make attractive websites. That goes beyond the scope of this topic but I'm definite about it. The fact that you may not be able to make an attractive website without graphics, and/or that you may not personally like such websites, doesn't change that.
LukeakaDanish
Arnie wrote:
Graphics are not required to make attractive websites. That goes beyond the scope of this topic but I'm definite about it. The fact that you may not be able to make an attractive website without graphics, and/or that you may not personally like such websites, doesn't change that.

This kinda interests me Smile What pages could you give as examples of superb looks + no (or almost no) graphics?
Manofgames
LukeakaDanish wrote:
Arnie wrote:

This kinda interests me Smile What pages could you give as examples of superb looks + no (or almost no) graphics?

Google, the ultimate web site / design Razz
LukeakaDanish
Manofgames wrote:
Google, the ultimate web site / design Razz

Nah you don't mean that Smile

Google is very simple and seen as its the most used page on the internet its nice that its very simple. Its a simple service and therefore a simple design, however if the entire internet looked like google or even if any page that you might look at for more than 5 seconds at once looked like that it would seem somewhat uninspired and boring.

Part of "good design" is communicating stuff about what your product - and "simple" doesn't work for everything Wink
zjosie729
LukeakaDanish wrote:
The frihost starting page (www.frihost.com) looks awful. The design looks ten years old.

I have to agree with you. The first time I landed on Frihost, I thought it was a dead hosting company. And I didn't even notice the "apply today" button. I had been looking for that bright, eye-catching "Sign-Up" link, which wasn't there.

Manofgames wrote:
Google, the ultimate web site / design :P

I actually thought Google needs a serious redesign (maybe not so much it's search frontpage, but pretty much everything else).
Arnie
One thing that really should be either removed or frequently updated, is the example sites section. I vote for removal Razz
LukeakaDanish
Arnie wrote:
One thing that really should be either removed or frequently updated, is the example sites section. I vote for removal Razz

Hm...I thought about that myself, however it does serve a purpose:

It shows what can be done with a frihost account.

One of the first things new members ask is often something like can i install phpbb/wordpress/etc on my frihost account? By showing some of the cool things you can do with php/sql enabled hosting we are giving new members an idea of this.

Also, if the pages are quality pages (content and design wise) they will add to the "image" of frihost, if you understand what I mean Smile

thoughts?
rvec
there should be a much bigger list there. Or maybe a list in a database, and 5 random sites are chosen for the frontpage. This could be random sites from the directory but since those are not all quality sites (no offense but some people can't design. Me included.) it might be smart to have another list of sites approved by admins.
LukeakaDanish
rvec wrote:
there should be a much bigger list there. Or maybe a list in a database, and 5 random sites are chosen for the frontpage. This could be random sites from the directory but since those are not all quality sites (no offense but some people can't design. Me included.) it might be smart to have another list of sites approved by admins.

Yep agreed, that would be awesome!
rvec
and not hard to make. But we'd need Bondings to approve it or make it.
LukeakaDanish
rvec wrote:
and not hard to make. But we'd need Bondings to approve it or make it.

Yea, that or direct MySQL access...which I somehow doubt he'll want to give us Smile

Actually, I could code it with a flat file database...so it doesn't have the ability to compromise the database...just a thought though Smile for now the current static list will have to do I guess...
ocalhoun
^Or you could just make your own database of it... It would be difficult looking through a lot of the sites in order to find good ones, but no more difficult for you than it would be for an admin.

Simple really, just two columns; name and URL. Perhaps a small utility page could be made to make it easy to add new ones. (Or take out old, dead ones) Or, for that matter, yet another contest could be done, with people voting for who has the best-looking website. (Perhaps also taking into consideration how well it shows off the ability to use php and mysql.) the ten users with the most votes get their sites as example sites. I would say that you were not allowed to enter your own site into the contest, you had to be nominated by someone else, but I don't think that would get enough response. This contest could even be done without making it 'official'... The result would be the same. (Though possibly with less entries)

As for graphics taking up too much bandwidth, I wouldn't want to go to the forums here with dial-up either; with each user having a 50kb signature limit, and lots of users posting on one page, that could get huge as well. I'd just say, use all the clever tricks in the book to reduce image bandwidth demands, compress the images as much as you can without loosing too much quality, and go with it. I find that these days, dial-up users are, of necessity, very patient, and they'll wait for a large page to load. After all, they do it all the time.
rvec
we could just choose 10 pages from the directory to start with. After that we can always add more with a contest or in some other way, but that's something to deal with later. First get a new frontpage, then a new forum theme, and after that we can try to add things like this.
Manofgames
Is Bondings still busy with University at the moment?
It'd be nice to get some life back into this thread, as this has great potential imho.
LukeakaDanish
I've decided to code it regardless of whether he answers or not...

So expect a post within a couple of days with a link to a coded version!
iamarun
Thats a great idea to have a new and redesigned frihost web site. I appreciate your work. I liked the design and especially the color combinations are pretty good. Its attractive and stunning.

Good work
Blaster
I liked 2.0 better then 2.1. Its more simple and all. I agree the design is out of whack and does make it look dead. The design is not compatible with like any browser it seems like. It is actually quite simple to alter the sub silver design on phpbb. I recently did it on one of my forums. Changing things like the cell pics and the backgrounds and all make it look nicer. like for example we changed our forum around a little for the holidays and all. like this is the pm button So as you can see it looks nicer and all. If i was allowed to post the site I would but that would break the rules.

now it was just me and another guy that did this. Now i know that bondings is capible of doing it.
pashmina
Awesome design. I wish the design will be implemented.
adeydas
the design looks awesome... with a little modification it can be put on frihost!!!
HalfBloodPrince
WOW. Its beautiful...the "Apply Now" button could use a little more texture, maybe a light Bevel and Emboss? Razz
Afaceinthematrix
I think the index page is fine. It's decent and there isn't much wrong with it. The only thing that should be changed, in my opinion, is the links. They are the same color as the text in many places so you never know where they are. Other than that, I don't see any reason why it needs to be changed.
richard270384
I think it should be changed.

And the 2.1 design looks great. I only gave frihost a go becuase I was desperate. If it had have had your design when I first visited I wouldve joined straight away rahter than thinking about it for a while..

I gotta ask, do you do web design in exchange for FRIH$, LukeakaDanish?
LukeakaDanish
richard270384 wrote:
I gotta ask, do you do web design in exchange for FRIH$, LukeakaDanish?

No, sorry.

Either I work for free (like here) coz the project is interesting, or I work for money. I'm not expensive though (seen as webdesign was always just a hobby for me...), PM me if you want any pricing...
mathiaus
Need any help with the coding Luke?
LukeakaDanish
mathiaus wrote:
Need any help with the coding Luke?

Not really...I'm just haven't really bothered doing it because Bondings hasn't replied...I want to do it anyway, but...I guess I've just been being lazy...

Will get to it ASAP...probably tomoz!

Thanks for the offer, btw Wink
Blaster
So do you have anything new for us luke?
Donutey
Nice design, it could probably stand some tweaking but it's essentially there. I might change the popular forums column to something that would display recent forum posts, so that the page isn't so static, new users should be enticed to the free hosting and to the forum/community.

Tomshardware currently has pretty much exactly what I have in mind, as seen roughly halfway down the page in the right column.

Anyway, awesome job, I'm envious of your gimp talents.
carlospro7
very nice design. Really, I never put much into how the front page looks, but it's true, now that I think about it the front is not very attractive. I don't really go to the front page though. I usually go straight to the forum. I like the design very much, and I think redesigning the frihost site would an incredible project. Even more so if the forum members can get involved. If such a project becomes open to members, I would certainly participate.
The-Super-Freak
yes! When I first came to Frihost [after being refered by another member] I looked at it and thought 'why would I want that as my host- it looks pretty crap and amateur' So I went to freewebs and started my site. I was drawn back here one day upon boredom to see what the hosting was like, etc. I saw that it was actually a really great hosting package and decided to join.
But I have often wondered about the design of the frontpage- would this great host be alot more popular with a better, friendlier and more vibrant design? I think it would and your logo could be the start of a great new front page. thankyou.
I also think the forum needs a better design- something along the lines of kawaiiville.com
misterXY
also reminds me of those spam accounts of ur interface though Sad
LukeakaDanish
Hello all, and thank you for continuing to support the frihost redesign project! Wink

News!

I have FINALLY coded the template. It took its time, and about one zillion css tricks, but now its finally here.

http://lukedk.frih.net/temp/frp/

Specifications:

• valid css + xhtml (mostly)
  • Display correctly on all screen resolutions and scales to use large screens
  • Tested for the following browsers: IE6, IE7, FF2, Opera, Safari/Win
  • Uses only one type of css hack: the holly hack (thought to be safe from future problems)
  • HTML + CSS = 12kb
  • Images total: 112kb
  • Total load size: 124kb.

Please tell me if you see anything that looks wrong - i can possibly fix it!

New footer as well...tell me if you like it.

Please respond Bondings!

Hey...isn't this at least partially cool? Smile
SpellcasterDX
The new design is really cool! I just saw one mistake, though.

You misspelled 'ads.' You put 'adds' all over the place. Razz

Other than that, it's great.
rvec
all over the place = 3x Razz
he also typed it good a couple of times Smile

It's cool but it's big. The old page fitted in my browser screen and there only is a bit of scrolling (about one line), with your site half of the site is invisible on my browser screen.
LukeakaDanish
SpellcasterDX wrote:
The new design is really cool! I just saw one mistake, though.

You misspelled 'ads.' You put 'adds' all over the place. Razz

Other than that, it's great.

Thanks Smile, I'll fix that once I get to my home pc.

I've figured a way to get the bottom corners of the boxes at the bottom rounded, I'll implement that as well...later!
LukeakaDanish
rvec wrote:
all over the place = 3x Razz
he also typed it good a couple of times Smile

It's cool but it's big. The old page fitted in my browser screen and there only is a bit of scrolling (about one line), with your site half of the site is invisible on my browser screen.

I probably only spelled it wrong, and copy+pasted the rest Razz

Yes, it is bigger, but IMO the content that is hidden is the less significant content - if users WANT to access it, scrolling down shouldn't be a problem.

That having been said, I think you have a point...so I'm gonna scale some of the text down a bit, and remove some whitespace (again, once I'm home)
LukeakaDanish
News!

I've corrected the spelling mistakes (thanks SpellcasterDX)

I've removed some of the white space and shrinked the header, in total making the horisontal space used by the page significantly smaller (thanks rvec)

I've added rounded corners to the bottoms of the boxes at the bottom.

Ive reduced the total image size to 100kb (down from 112 kb)

The page also scales down a bit nicer than before.

I've also added some shading to the bottom right corner of the top box. That was a part of the original design, I just forgot to implement it (it only uses round about 1.5kb so it shouldn't worry even the most performance conscious people!)

Check it out

Check out the new design (v1.1):

http://www.lukedk.frih.net/temp/frp1.1/

Old version:

http://www.lukedk.frih.net/temp/frp/

Comparison image:

Printscreens done with opera fullscreen function
carlospro7
Nice design. I really like it and think it's really going to go well. However, I think it's still big. I saw the difference between 1.0 and 1.1, but even with my 1680x1050 monitor I have to scroll to see the last bit of the page. For the amount of content the page contains and since it takes the entire browser screen, I don't see why it needs to be as big as it is. Anyway, that's my only criticism. Good work!
LukeakaDanish
carlospro7 wrote:
Nice design. I really like it and think it's really going to go well. However, I think it's still big. I saw the difference between 1.0 and 1.1, but even with my 1680x1050 monitor I have to scroll to see the last bit of the page. For the amount of content the page contains and since it takes the entire browser screen, I don't see why it needs to be as big as it is. Anyway, that's my only criticism. Good work!

Thanks!

I might try slightly further reducing the size but in reality the fact that your monitorwidth is 1680 doesn't give the page more space for the content - it only stretches boxes which don't need more width, and so using the entire screen is an aesthetical thing, not a functional thing.

Hope you understand that Wink - propperly utilizing the full 1680 width of your screen without forcing small screens to side scroll lots would probably require some javascript layout that I'm not really too wanting to do.

I'll consider it though Wink
LukeakaDanish
Quote:
propperly utilizing the full 1680 width of your screen without forcing small screens to side scroll lots would probably require some javascript layout that I'm not really too wanting to do.

Update!

That was what I said earlier...but its a really good idea!

...and it has therefore been implemented! People with large screens (window width of at least 1215 pixels) now a get a slightly rearranged view that utilizes their screen much better (if they have javascript on). This way they have a better chance of not getting any scrollbars.

People without javascript wont notice anything different.

Check it out same place as always (I'm keeping this as version 1.1 as appart from that there are no real changes)

http://lukedk.frih.net/temp/frp1.1/

Please test/try/troubleshoot and report anything if it seems broken
rvec
Maybe you could replace customer by member. It's more a community than a business here.
LukeakaDanish
rvec wrote:
Maybe you could replace customer by member. It's more a community than a business here.

Yea good idea...or maybe "user"...I want some other quote as well...that one was just random...

Perhaps a "Speak your heart about Frihost" topic would herald some good results? Cool
rvec
LukeakaDanish wrote:
rvec wrote:

Yea good idea...or maybe "user"...I want some other quote as well...that one was just random...

Perhaps a "Speak your heart about Frihost" topic would herald some good results? Cool

speak your heart out Shocked
I prefer the this one Razz
SonLight
The new design looks great. I hope we are able to install it or something based on it soon.

I have one minor issue with the design. I prefer to use an 800 x 600 screen setting most of the time, and your default layout is a little bit wider than that. When I use "fit to width" (Opera, Ubuntu Linux) everything looks great except that the posts and members numbers are on top of the blogs link. They actually crowd the blogs link a little with the default setting.

Wide screens that don't scale back nicely are a problem on many modern sites. I find that some sites work fine with "fit to width", but others require a wider screen to appear anything like the designer intended. I prefer sites that automatically adapt. I prefer not to adjust the width or view in user style.

edit: I missed the fact that the word "webhosting" also gets partially overwritten when I use fit to width.
LukeakaDanish
SonLight wrote:
The new design looks great. I hope we are able to install it or something based on it soon.

I have one minor issue with the design. I prefer to use an 800 x 600 screen setting most of the time, and your default layout is a little bit wider than that. When I use "fit to width" (Opera, Ubuntu Linux) everything looks great except that the posts and members numbers are on top of the blogs link. They actually crowd the blogs link a little with the default setting.

Wide screens that don't scale back nicely are a problem on many modern sites. I find that some sites work fine with "fit to width", but others require a wider screen to appear anything like the designer intended. I prefer sites that automatically adapt. I prefer not to adjust the width or view in user style.

edit: I missed the fact that the word "webhosting" also gets partially overwritten when I use fit to width.

Ok a couple of consideration from me on that topic:

1. The old design takes 848px of space, meaning at 847px width it gets a horizontal scrollbar
  2. The new design takes 836px of space, meaning at 835px width it gets a horizontal scrollbar, so whether it suits you or not, it should be an improvement.
  3. Almost everybody has more than 836 pixels of width available (in fact only 6% have 800*600). Of course that doesn't mean the 6% aren't important however:
  4. The page is designed to stop scaling down at 836 pixels. This means that the design wont break (stuff overlapping, getting hidden etc.) at small resolutions. Instead it will appear like I intended it to - without a minimum-width this would have been near impossible to code. The 6% who have small screens therefore don't get a broken layout - but they have to scroll. For me, having to scroll = annoying, but layout breaking = unacceptable.
  5. As for the "fit to width" function you are talking about, what this probably does to my layout is force it to scale down to less than 836px. Seen as I have used all my css skills to prevent it doing exactly that, it will most likely bend and break once its forced to do it anyway. Just like using javascript to edit the css of the page can make it break, using a function that overrides my rules can make it break - and there's nothing I can do against it! - when a browser starts overriding my rules I am powerless to control how it behaves, so my only recommendation to you is either a: don't use "fit to width" or b: live with some pages breaking.

Hope that enlightened you Smile
mathiaus
If yo know me, it's not just about the design, but the code as well. Thats very nice code Luke Smile

I'd try to sneak a hidden floated <h1>Frihost - Redesigning free webhosting</h1> in for SEO (not that its needed).

How about getting the blue gradient at the bottom, to be at the bottom of the screen? It looks odd finishing he page so well, then having the blank white space there (IMO).
LukeakaDanish
mathiaus wrote:
If yo know me, it's not just about the design, but the code as well. Thats very nice code Luke Smile

I'd try to sneak a hidden floated <h1>Frihost - Redesigning free webhosting</h1> in for SEO (not that its needed).

How about getting the blue gradient at the bottom, to be at the bottom of the screen? It looks odd finishing he page so well, then having the blank white space there (IMO).

Thanks! - I put a lot of effort into making cross browser, human-readable code, and also notice the commented css (OMG i usually never do that!)

Hm yep the SEO stuff...could make the top bit (where the logo/redesigning free... stuff goes) a h1 that gets its text hidden once the image loads Smile

Yep, I thought about moving that gradient thing and I'll def. give it a go - the only problem is the rounded corners on the linkboxes which need solid color over the border...and the color at the moment is approximately the background (blue)...which, if the background is moved down looks weird - oppositely, if the corners had white as background the white would look bad on the blue background.

Instead I've been thinking of filling the bottom bit up with the stripey blue footer color - what do you think about that? Alternatively I could remove the rounded corners from the boxes.
Hammy
Hey there,

Lovery design you have made.

My surgestions would be: perhaps a smaller version of the top left background (the gradient lines) down in the bottom right.

Also, the 3 white boxes could have a slight tint of blue, alternating, like the info blocks.

Lovery tho =]
garionw
LukeakaDanish wrote:
Hm yep the SEO stuff...could make the top bit (where the logo/redesigning free... stuff goes) a h1 that gets its text hidden once the image loads Smile

just remember that Google penalises \hidden text (I think)
LukeakaDanish
garionw wrote:
LukeakaDanish wrote:

just remember that Google penalises \hidden text (I think)

Its not essentially hidden, seen as the image that replaces it contains the text it itself had
jcnet
Hi buddy....,,,, I just gave a visit to the site... that was really fantastic and awesome....

I couldn't believe my eyes... You really have a good talent buddy....

Keep it up...

Cheers...

-Joseph..
LukeakaDanish
Thankyou jcnet for those kind words!

@Hammy:

I appreciate your ideas, and i might try the second one (adding some color to the boxes) however the copy-top-to-bottom idea doesn't really look that good (too much color for a footer imo) and is also a little complicated to code.

Also I don't really want the extra load time from an extra reasonably large image.

For 1.2 I'll probably do the colored boxes.
Blaster
I must say again Luke that this looks amazing. I hope bondings will consider making this the new design
Diablosblizz
I like the overall design, and I think that would make Frihost awesome! But a few things:

1. The background shouldn't be white, this is my opinion though, you should carry the stripe lines throughout.
2. The Frihost stuff at the side with the links and logo should be beneath the template, again my opinion I just think it would look better.

If you could also get the quotes working (random things from MySQL or Array), Latest Blog and the featured discussion then that would make the page even better!

Also, with a new template that would mean that the forums would have to be updated with a better template as well, probably following the blue and white.

Anyways, good luck with the project and I hope it becomes official! Wink
LukeakaDanish
Diablosblizz wrote:
I like the overall design, and I think that would make Frihost awesome! But a few things:

1. The background shouldn't be white, this is my opinion though, you should carry the stripe lines throughout.
2. The Frihost stuff at the side with the links and logo should be beneath the template, again my opinion I just think it would look better.

If you could also get the quotes working (random things from MySQL or Array), Latest Blog and the featured discussion then that would make the page even better!

Also, with a new template that would mean that the forums would have to be updated with a better template as well, probably following the blue and white.

Anyways, good luck with the project and I hope it becomes official! Wink

1: Carrying the lines throughout is impossible without getting massive filesizes for the background image. Why don't you like white as background color?

2: I understand what your saying and would like to agree with you, but what should then go in the white space it leaves behind?

Random quotes? Yea definitely something I'll use! The featured and latest blog things WILL work as well, just need to work with Bondings to make it!

Forum template? Yep, I'm working on one at the moment! I'll post it in a couple of weeks or something.
Diablosblizz
LukeakaDanish wrote:
1: Carrying the lines throughout is impossible without getting massive filesizes for the background image. Why don't you like white as background color?

2: I understand what your saying and would like to agree with you, but what should then go in the white space it leaves behind?

Random quotes? Yea definitely something I'll use! The featured and latest blog things WILL work as well, just need to work with Bondings to make it!

Forum template? Yep, I'm working on one at the moment! I'll post it in a couple of weeks or something.

1. Can you not use a small background image (like so) and just carry it out throughout the background, I know it's possible.

2. You could put something like latest forum support posts. I don't have many ideas, but I am sure somebody can think of something creative?

Also, I can't wait to see your forums your working on, I am certain that it will be as good, or better, then the template you made!
Manofgames
Diablosblizz wrote:

1. Can you not use a small background image (like so) and just carry it out throughout the background, I know it's possible.

With most backgrounds you can, but imo it looks like the design's background is too complicated to be repeated.

Diablosblizz wrote:

2. You could put something like latest forum support posts. I don't have many ideas, but I am sure somebody can think of something creative?

I personally like it with those links being there (However, the aff link kinda breaks the design a bit Confused )
However I sort of agree with you in a sense - I think the
Quote:
© 2005-2008
Frihost free web hosting
{LOGO}

Should perhaps be moved to the bottom of the section as it does look better having copyright notices etc. towards the bottom of the page.

Diablosblizz wrote:

Also, I can't wait to see your forums your working on, I am certain that it will be as good, or better, then the template you made!

It's great Very Happy
Imo it's better than the homepage mockup Smile
Diablosblizz
Much better, but no offence to whomever designed the homepage, it just needs to be updated... a lot...
LukeakaDanish
Diablosblizz wrote:
Much better, but no offence to whomever designed the homepage, it just needs to be updated... a lot...

I'm quite certain that would be Bondings...the guy who is giving you your hosting Wink
nivinjoy
Wow mann i liked the design...and me too hav an opinion that the current design of frihost should be changed...(I know i am no one to say that...but oops its just my opinion...)

And one suggestion that i would like to gve is that it would be nice if you provide a change color option for the pages as that of AOL mail...

Please see that its just a suggestion...You are doing a great work..Hope Bondings will agree for the Face change...!!!
LukeakaDanish
nivinjoy wrote:
And one suggestion that i would like to gve is that it would be nice if you provide a change color option for the pages as that of AOL mail...

Thanks for the support!

I might do some color selection thingy, but probably not for the frihost.com url, perhaps for the forums of DEFINITELY for the blogs - being able to customize the appearance of blogs is definitely a must have!
nivinjoy
Dont know whether i can ask this..Even then i am asking this... That is why not provide a Flash interface...???

I think it wont be disturbing,but even more attractive... Laughing Laughing

Anyways it is not the appearance,but the service that Frihost provides is attracting more and more people... Exclamation Exclamation

Laughing Laughing Laughing
LukeakaDanish
nivinjoy wrote:
Dont know whether i can ask this..Even then i am asking this... That is why not provide a Flash interface...???

I think it wont be disturbing,but even more attractive... Laughing Laughing

Anyways it is not the appearance,but the service that Frihost provides is attracting more and more people... Exclamation Exclamation

Laughing Laughing Laughing

There are MANY reasons why a flash-based interface is BAD news.

• Its bad for SEO...VERY bad.
  • People who don't have flash wont see it
  • Its more difficult for bondings to customize
  • It doesn't scale as well to high resolutions
  • Load time will be worse, and the "flash" effects won't do that much for the design
nivinjoy
Quote:

Sorry sir...I didn't get you...If you don't mind please explain...
LukeakaDanish
nivinjoy wrote:
Quote:

Sorry sir...I didn't get you...If you don't mind please explain...

Search engines don't see content inside flash. Links inside flash don't get indexed by search engines (and sitemaps AREN'T a proper replacement!).

Therefore FriHosts placement in spider based search engines like google would fall, and it would therefore loose revenue.
nivinjoy
Thanks..Now i got you...
LukeakaDanish
For anyone who reads the updates to this topic:

I've posted a couple of frihost ad banners which look like this:

Ino, its just reuse of old artwork, but still, they look cool don't they Razz
Bockman
LukeakaDanish wrote:

Ino, its just reuse of old artwork, but still, they look cool don't they Razz

"old artwork".... dunno why but this looks weird below those banners

thanks

Be Well Cool
Urban
Nice, really nice!

I have a little suggestion for you, maybe you could make many versions of the same template but with different color, user could choose which color he prefer (Red, Blue, Green, Yellow, etc).
Manofgames
LukeakaDanish wrote:
nivinjoy wrote:

Thanks for the support!

I might do some color selection thingy, but probably not for the frihost.com url, perhaps for the forums of DEFINITELY for the blogs - being able to customize the appearance of blogs is definitely a must have!
Pikokola
It's not a good idea.. really.... I think it is NOT a good idea... not just a good idea, but it's a brilliant idea.

We could get at least 2 (or maybe more) positive aspect here...
New design which is eye catchy
and at the same time, it'll lure people to join and build the community.

add some date to the "latest" thing to show that we are active (and still HOT), then randomize the user quote. I think it'll be better Razz
pll
I think it would be nice if we can get the Bondings permission.
I could help to make a design if you need some help!!!
DarkAkira
It looks nice, but... meh.

It's a nice style, but it doesn't look good for frihost.

The Main banner is nice. That could work just fine.

The BG image and the navigation though. I'm not feeling it. I look at it and am like... WTF is this? The "glass" effect seems to be way overused. And though blue is a beautiful color, there should be some other colors thrown in their for contrast. Even the icons being in color would make all the difference.

This is just my opinion on it.

If you want, I can show you my thoughts in a quick mock-up. That is if you mind sharing the PSD for the original homepage.

And I do agree that the homepage needs a revamp. The one now looks so dead and lifeless.
LukeakaDanish
DarkAkira wrote:
It looks nice, but... meh.

It's a nice style, but it doesn't look good for frihost.

The Main banner is nice. That could work just fine.

The BG image and the navigation though. I'm not feeling it. I look at it and am like... WTF is this? The "glass" effect seems to be way overused. And though blue is a beautiful color, there should be some other colors thrown in their for contrast. Even the icons being in color would make all the difference.

This is just my opinion on it.

If you want, I can show you my thoughts in a quick mock-up. That is if you mind sharing the PSD for the original homepage.

And I do agree that the homepage needs a revamp. The one now looks so dead and lifeless.

I'm sorry you don't like it.

With regards to the glass effect, I actually thought I rather limited how much I used that. With regards to the amount of colour...I really don't know what to say...2 colour colourschemes generally look rubbish (in my opinion) and I personally think its colourful enough already to be honest..

That having been said, OF COURSE you can have the source artwork and work on it if you want! I don't work in photoshop though so its a .xcf (opens with the gimp) or I can convert it to a .psd - I'm not sure how good the converter in the gimp is though, so if it doesn't work, there's nothing I can do about that.

I'll give it a try, tell me you email address (in a pm, so you don't get spam) and I'll send a psd to you.

Thanks for the feedback Smile
DarkAkira
2 color schemes can look bad if not done right, which alot of people seem to do. But then again, not all people studied color in school. I had to in order to get my fashion/interior design degree.

It's not that I don't like the whole thing, it's just that the "glass" effect has been wayy overused in just about everything lately because Vista's GUI uses it. Idk why, but it's just getting old. It seems to be a phase and once its done and over with, you'll have to re-design the index page yet again.

I PM'd you my e-mail address, and I would prefer a PSD file if you can convert it.

I'll let you know how it goes. I'll probably use your Banner because it does look good where the glass is there, but with the rest of the nav I might go an entirely different way. I'd also like to work with you on this so we can come up worth something incredible together. I think that would be the best way to go about it. 4 eyes are better than 2.
alalex
OK the idea to redesign the from page is really a great idea, it just doesn't look good enough for the great community that frihost is.

About changing the theme of frihost's phpbb I'm not sure that is a good idea, at least if someone makes a new theme give the ability to chose from our profile which theme we want to use. I am just too used to this theme... Wink

Your design LukeakaDanish is very good, Maybe a little full of stuff, I like things more clean, but I like it a lot Very Happy
mathiaus
I'm surprised and disappointed that it's not up yet Sad
LukeakaDanish
mathiaus wrote:
I'm surprised and disappointed that it's not up yet Sad

Yea...me too.

I guess Bondings is busy with university stuff, which I assume he'll be finished with this summer...so for now I'm pretty much in a state of waiting for the summer holidays, where he might respond to this.

I have worked on a forum theme, but for now thats on hold - I have the time, but can't be bothered tbh :/
Ghost Rider103
Well I am all for this idea, and the theme looks great.

Hopefully Bondings will reply soon, and maybe we can get this thing going. But to be honest, I would wait on making a phpbb skin aswell, you don't even know that Bondings will approve of this idea, and you don't really want to waste your time. Then again maybe he did give the go on this idea...idk I didn't see anything anyways.

Good idea though, hopefully we use it.
snowboardalliance
Sorry I haven't checked this thread in a while but what is the status? I'd be interested to see the final design, if this actually happens.
Blaster
snowboardalliance wrote:
Sorry I haven't checked this thread in a while but what is the status? I'd be interested to see the final design, if this actually happens.

I myself was just thinking the same question. Luke has showed me things that he has done i knwo that. But i want to know what bondings views on this are.
truespeed
October 21st 2007 this thread was started,and its now April 2008,thats approaching 6 months LukeakaDanish has waited for an answer from Bondings,the thread has gone into its fifth page,and all it awaits is a yes or no answer.
Ghost Rider103
I belive we all would like a yes or no answer.

Has anyone actually contacted bondings through email or a PM? I'm sure he has been on since 2007, but he might not have got a chance to view this thread, so maybe Luke should send him a PM or an email.

Well hopefully we get an answer one day, I would hate for Luke not to even get a reply back. Getting a no is a lot better than not getting an answer at all.
Rosanova
Hi there,

It must also be the time for my opinion into this topic. First would I like to say that I really agree that Frihost needs a facelift, not just only regarding the look but also the contents.

Luke, you have made an serious work that might could be used for something.

I do also agree about that all members should be invited to have influence, I've said it before that Frihost is that I've been searching for long time, and it's very important for me that it don't goes commercial like GeoCities did when Yahoo! took over.

But I see great possibilities to work this as a community, and I hope and think that others would like to agree with me that there we're many here who cares about our playground called Frihost.

So what I thought that would make the facelift is redesigning the page and then more features, probably more like CMS style.

As far I've more ideas would I went back here, so Luke! Keep on your good working.

Cheers!

PS. Even that I'm Danish do I hope that above would make some or any sense...
LostOverThere
Perhaps someone should PM Bondings about this. Rolling Eyes
SpellcasterDX
LostOverThere wrote:

Not like it would do any good. If Bondings doesn't even login/get online how can he read his PMs?
Peterssidan
LostOverThere wrote:

Of course Bondings have noticed this thread. It has exist such a long time. I think that Bondings don't know how he should do. He has a working site and to change it will be a risk and be a lot of work.

I have also read in tidruG's blog the following:
Bondings wrote:
I actually expected it to become more popular, however I didn’t expect it to take so much of my time. To be honest, I stopped promoting it massively a long time ago just because I am currently not able to handle an exponential growth.

It's from 2006 but he has obviously not got more time now so I think it's still true. He can't handle a fast grow which can be the case. A fast grow could result in a bad service and the end of the frihost era.
guitarcrazy087
Hey, i think so far it looks cool. couple suggestions though.

For those of you who don't have massive computer monitors you may not have noticed this, but on my screen it looked kinda weird bc it didn't stretch all the way down to the bottom of the the browser window.

also, there's a big white space in the header between the pic of the people and the text that needs something! maybe you should repeat the blue and what striped background or something.

One last thing...the copyright, site map, about us, and contact us should be put in a footer at the bottom of the page...they look really out of place.

the rest looks cool Wink

Joe
cr3ativ3
I notice how the design is very out of date but something tells me Frihost actually get's more users from the outdated design?...

Like the design you made is amazing don't get me wrong but it is more commercial looking Frihost is more of an organization and with the simple design people actually look at Frihost being a working non-scam free host as most other free hosts with designs like that are crap and don't work.

A simple design similiar to the one currently only updated to include a more web 2.0 gloss look would be to my liking.

P.S. when did web 3.0 come out lol?

Great topic!
Ghost Rider103
This is taking too long, and I do not think Bondings is going to take the time to update frihost, since it is doing good enough where it is at.

I think you should try to sell the template to someone else. I bet you could make a couople hundread off of it.

Just an idea though.
James007
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
I think you should try to sell the template to someone else. I bet you could make a couople hundread off of it.

Please don't give people the feeling the aren't appreciated, because they are. We really value your input. We love the fact that people are contributing to the infrastructure itself.

I know you're getting a little irritated because Bondings isn't replying to this topic (although I brought it to his attention more than once on msn). That's all I can do at the moment. Bondings is a very busy man and just for the record - once more -, these forums aren't run by a company. They are run by one man, who has total control but little spear time. Very Happy The other admins will be able to help you out up to a certain level, but we aren't able to edit the forum code / site code. If we would, you would probably be surfing a renewed website with a customised phpbb3 board. You can't blame the founder for taking his precautions, but I also think you at least deserve a proper response for your hard work.
cr3ativ3
I think if this goes into application frihost should as other sites have such as paypal, have a 2 version site look where something hangs down saying view frihost v2, with it integrated into the old look with the new design.

That way people can give their thoughts, or maybe make it so that the new template is default and then you can switch back that way you can get a full show of hands of who likes it and who doesn't.
Bondings
Peterssidan wrote:
LostOverThere wrote:

Of course Bondings have noticed this thread. It has exist such a long time. I think that Bondings don't know how he should do. He has a working site and to change it will be a risk and be a lot of work.

I have also read in tidruG's blog the following:
Bondings wrote:
I actually expected it to become more popular, however I didn’t expect it to take so much of my time. To be honest, I stopped promoting it massively a long time ago just because I am currently not able to handle an exponential growth.

It's from 2006 but he has obviously not got more time now so I think it's still true. He can't handle a fast grow which can be the case. A fast grow could result in a bad service and the end of the frihost era.

First of all my apologies for not reacting faster. I thought I already responded to this thread a long while ago, but I guess I didn't yet. I did notice it, of course.

I indeed do have a mixed feeling about this. On one hand I definitely appreciate all the effort LukeakaDanish has put in this, we do need a home page/design, it's pretty and a lot of people like this one. On the other hand I would like to make it myself (to learn and that way I can easily modify it myself), I actually already have several designs that I partially made (they aren't finished and they mention features/parts that aren't made yet) and it's not really the style I want it to be and neither does it have the stuff how I want it to be (which is normal since I didn't make it myself and I never mentioned how I want it to be).
roninmedia
I do agree that a facelift, while not necessary would be important for the community. As much as we can say functionality over form, a lot of first impressions are formed on how a site looks.

As for the phpBB design, I think there should be a series of skins where the user can choose, leaving the current design as the default.
James007
@Bondings: We all know by now that you like a rather minimalistic look, but why don't we try to combine the NEW look with your preference for a CLEAN design. I think it was my English teacher who said the correct word for this should be a "sleak" look. (We were talking about the Apple Design when we encountered that word.)

Look at the benefits:
  • Keeping it minimalistic emphasizes the professionalism. (cf. Apple!)
  • Creating a sleak look with minimal coding is a coding challenge.
  • A new and minimalistic look would also emphasize the fact that we are - de facto - still alive, and we are not becoming a commercial hosting b*tch, as some others have become.

So what we need is a Web 2.0 look, with a minimalistic design. I would at least give people some more information about your vision on Frihost's future, as we are after all a community, and within a community you don't just give nor take, you share and contribute. I also don't think the coding of a real professional should pose that much of a problem. We could all learn from it. With a little more information, you could still keep perfect control over the situation, but let others do the big work. That's what I call management my friend.

Cheerz.
LukeakaDanish
Although it saddens me to say this, I would appreciate it if this topic was [closed] by a mod - it is no longer relevant. (edit: sorry about that, I'm only human)

If anyone would like to use my template, I will gladly send you the related files, free of charge - send me a PM.

Finally, just for the curious, here is my work-no-longer-in-progress forum skin mockup:

(links to full size image)

If you have the courage and skill to attempt coding it, its also obtainable by PM'ing me.
James007
Oh come on! Bondings told you he likes it! Why are you now playing "take it or leave it"? It's a great forum/site style. You might want to reconsider your request to close the topic. Just wait for Bondings' reply, please?
LukeakaDanish
James007 wrote:
Oh come on! Bondings told you he likes it! Why are you now playing "take it or leave it"? It's a great forum/site style. You might want to reconsider your request to close the topic. Just wait for Bondings' reply, please?

Thanks again for all the support you've given this - its been great fun...but...

Re-read the reply...he said "I like it...but:"

Quote:
and it's not really the style I want it to be and neither does it have the stuff how I want it to be

That sounds pretty conclusive to me. Of course asking for the topic to be closed was over fussy, sorry about that. I was frustrated for a moment Smile
James007
Yes but Bondings doesn't realise that if he doesn't listen to us, work will be completed in 2028 and even then people will still be wondering "why didn't he go with the LukeakaDanish design?".

To Bondings (it might even work!):
Quote:
There are two doors. The door to your right leads to the LukeakaDanish concept and the salvation of frihost. The door to your left leads back to the I'll-do-it-myself concept, to the old thing... and to the end of our species. As you adequately put, the problem is choice. But we already know what you are going to do, don't we? Already I can see the chain reaction: the chemical precursors that signal the onset of an emotion, designed specifically to overwhelm logic and reason. An emotion that is already blinding you to the simple and obvious truth: you are going to accept the new design and there is nothing you can do to stop it.

Adapted from The Matrix Reloaded.
carlospro7
That is a very neat design you made for the forum. It's too bad this topic is still ongoing.
LukeakaDanish
@James

Agreed, that was one of my points with this topic - to share the work of developing frihost with the community. In the end however, as rvec pointed out on IRC, if Bondings is in the process of making his own design, presumably he would want to continue developing that, rather than using something else's and scraping his own work - which in all honesty is fair enough.
Bondings
LukeakaDanish wrote:
James007 wrote:

Thanks again for all the support you've given this - its been great fun...but...

Re-read the reply...he said "I like it...but:"

Quote:
and it's not really the style I want it to be and neither does it have the stuff how I want it to be

That sounds pretty conclusive to me. Of course asking for the topic to be closed was over fussy, sorry about that. I was frustrated for a moment Smile

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to sound conclusive. I haven't completely decided yet. I do like your layout.

In any case, I will only have enough time to implement and work on a new design in the summer (July), I think.
James007
So what do you recommend? Keeping the work in progress for now? Or keeping it on hold until July?
Bondings
James007 wrote:
So what do you recommend? Keeping the work in progress for now? Or keeping it on hold until July?

Keep it on hold until July. I would rather like to concentrate now on working on the servers and fixing some bugs on Frihost.
Rosanova
Hi there,

I know that I've added comment allready on this topic. I still do like you intiative, but I think that you should try to work on "cross-browsing" as it seems like that some still can't get off IE!!! The should you try to make the site much less heavier, as if you make it too heavy would I be affraid that it would go loosing ideas about being nice and good looking. My expirence says that it is actually possible to design a site that even 3.0 technology whould could make visible.

Any way keep on good working.

Cheers!
LukeakaDanish
Rosanova wrote:
Hi there,

I know that I've added comment allready on this topic. I still do like you intiative, but I think that you should try to work on "cross-browsing" as it seems like that some still can't get off IE!!! The should you try to make the site much less heavier, as if you make it too heavy would I be affraid that it would go loosing ideas about being nice and good looking. My expirence says that it is actually possible to design a site that even 3.0 technology whould could make visible.

Any way keep on good working.

Cheers!

Please tell me what version of IE you are using. Although it kind of doesn't matter, as the design probably won't be used for anything, I'm kinda interested in why your unable to display it propperly. Also, the design really isn't very heavy, considering that the icons etc will load after the main content and therefor not prevent it from displaying propperly.
polly-gone
It should work just fine if you are using IE 7, which everyone should be. Any other versions just plain suck.

EDIT: -Nick Cool Cool Cool
LukeakaDanish
I put a lot of effort into making it work reasonably well in IE6 as well though, so it should work Sad
DjMilez
Sorry to see it's done(maybe?), it looked absolutely awesomr =D
Urban
Anyways, those who use IE shouldn't have the right to browse the internet Laughing
LostOverThere
Urban wrote:
Anyways, those who use IE shouldn't have the right to browse the internet Laughing

No they shouldn't. Wink

Kidding, of course. I really like that forum skin, I'd love to see it implanted.
deanhills
LukeakaDanish wrote:
PRETEXT

The project is over. All the following is no longer relevant. If you would like to use my template for something else, PM me, it's yours for free...

OLD STUFF

Hello all.

Disclaimer
Firstly: I have read the posting rules for the suggestion forum - many times - and I know I'm not really sposed to make the suggestion. But please keep reading anyway, and then make you decision.

Concept
The frihost starting page (www.frihost.com) looks awful. The design looks ten years old. Whereas I respect Bondings loads, he is no web3.0 webdesigner. This place needs a makeover.

Luckily there are many GOOD designers on frihost - in all humbleness, I consider myself one of them.

Lets redesign frihost!

With lots of advice from more than 120 posts in this topic I have produced THIS. <<<< CLICK

Ideas
I've worked on some artwork for the front page - this is the most "pressing" issue, as this is what new potential users/members see first, and what should "lure" them in. I have also designed a frihost logo.

Click for full-size version

Click for full-size version (363kb)

Coded version: http://lukedk.frih.net/temp/frp1.1/

This is version 2.1 of the design...the older 2.0 which many people commented on is still viewable here

If you are interested in the .xcf source artwork for either of the version and/or the icons and logo (large versions, around 800*800) please PM me and I'll send you the files.

Response
Lets get the suggestion forum buzzing with new design ideas for frihost!

Please give feedback on my designs - if you all like e'm (Bondings included) I'll happily code them in xhtml/css.

EDIT: I did that! Check it here: http://lukedk.frih.net/temp/frp1.1/

But don't stop there! Frihost is full of things that could look and work better - so start suggesting them! And if the evil mods/admins close your topics because "Bondings is busy" or whatever...stick it to the man by starting the topic again and this time suggesting that you yourself do the work.

Lets make frihost web 3.0!

Linkage

You could help frihost by linking to frihost.com with one of these 2 banners:

I'm a relatively new member and actually prefer the present design over the one suggested. The new design banner is a bit too bold and too strong. It is distracting. Maybe the black font can be replaced with a mono colour font. Not too crazy about the logo. It should be more subtle and perhaps blend with the background. I especially do not like the arrows in it, too much of an outline, too busy. The right hand side of the design is nice and perhaps enough. I like the little heads, perhaps they can blend in more with the background instead of in a banner.

As it stands, the banner is taking up space with no function in it. The forum needs that space. So perhaps something can be done to blend it as some sort of watermark into the background, but not as a dominating feature in the design.

I like things simple and understated and a design that can last for a long time. I prefer things in a line for line list format as with the existing design rather than blocks such as in the new design. With the current design there is no learning curve needed, you can see everything at one glance. But with the blocks you need to look a little closer to figure out where everything is. Just too cluttered and busy and to maintain harder work. I guess one would get used to it after a while, but then by the time you do, possibly it will not look modern anymore.

Perhaps the current design can be tweaked a little. Enhancements could include more sophisticated and dynamic fonts for the headings. Perhaps Watermark art in mono colour in the background along the lines of the new design (I like the little heads). So that the banner completely blends in with the forum.

Think what would be nice is to have a posting meter right at the top for the whole of the forum, clicking over as every posting is made. A dynamic element.

Also nice to see who are logged in at any given time. You can only see that in the main menu screen. It should be available for all screens.

Perhaps there should be a limit in pages for topics. I.e. when it gets to over 10 pages, it may be worth archiving. Some of the subject areas are cluttered with less than meaningful topics.

There are two subjects that need to be rejuvenated. History and Travel and Tourism. I do not know whether it has been noted but there are lots of junky postings under travel. I.e. the postings only contain links. Some only contain a few words and not even a complete sentence. Nothing is happening in History. Hopefully it is just a phase. History I can understand a little, but Travel has lots of possibilities. Maybe Bondings can find some people who can post for free dollars? But not the cut and paste variety. Has to be authentic postings.
HalfBloodPrince
Erm...call me a little late but, will we ever see this template come to life? Razz
Ghost Rider103
Your not late at all HBP, Bondings told us all to hold off on it until July, which it is now July.

I am not rushing anyone here at all, but since it is now July, it would be great to hear from Bondings once again.
rvec
there are still some small things he should do with the servers, and server 3 isn't up yet. So I think you'll have a to wait a bit longer.

Quote:
In any case, I will only have enough time to implement and work on a new design in the summer (July), I think.

Quote:
Keep it on hold until July. I would rather like to concentrate now on working on the servers and fixing some bugs on Frihost.
pll
As far as I know server 3 is running now!
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-79975.html

I can't wait to see some new graphics here... It's been 3 years since I always see the PhpBB theme.
I could also try to help.... PM me
LukeakaDanish
If bondings was actually interested in help I would be glad to try and make something new and fresh with you Smile
pll
PM me when we'll have the permissions and all what we need to start the project.
Bondings
I haven't had enough time to start on the design yet.

I'll probably start with a basic design with the same top as on the forums and then start from there, like by incorporating ideas and stuff from your design.
LukeakaDanish
Ok cool Cool
danway60
When is that going to happen?
And would you be able to provide us with templates like that for our websites?
leosthenerd
I like the design, I think we should use it, as the present frihost design looks like something out of the 70's...its also quite boring and unattractive Sad