FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Atapi or Sata

deepod
Looking at new Plextor DVD+R/RW drives, I'm struck with the fact that the two drives they feature, one an ATAPI device, the other an SATA, differ respecting CD writing speed. The ATAPI writes at 48X while the SATA writes at 40X. The SATA device is $10 more expensive than the ATAPI. Can there be any reason for preferring the SATA? Its slower and more costly.
Peterssidan
Why not take a look at this thread I found. http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/243911-14-sata-atapi
He has exactly the same problem as you have.
fadirocks
you mean it burns slower
well I wouldn't even burn at 40x that's too fast for CDRs anyways you'll appreciate SATA HDs over PATA HDs in DVD burning Razz also SATA DVD burners over PATA DVD burners
mystzero
If I were you, I would go for SATA as the SATA interface allows a higher throughput from the host controller to the drive. And, what's the point of using a 48x writing speed drive over a slower ATA interface? It may be 'bottlenecking' the performance since the the available throughput for the ATA interface may not be able to meet the demand of the higher read/write request.
SgtGarcia
Atapi is a bit dying at the moment, all the new motherboards feature a lot of sata ports, but only one atapi (IDE) connector is left. So you'd better go with the sata burner, although its a bit slower, you wont really notice te difference i think. Furthermore sata cables don't make a mess in your computer case, flat IDE cables are really annoying.