FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Expert XP help needed

DoctorBeaver
I think I must have got a virus or something because quite a few programs I try to run now fail and I get the message "The application has failed to start because oledlg.dll was not found. Re-installing the program may fix this problem".

I've tried re-installing 3 of the programs affected but I still get the same error. I've tried restoring to my previous restore point but that made no difference.

Has anyone got any idea what I can do about it?
DoctorBeaver
I've had a look on various other support forums and I can download the dll. It says to install it in c:/WINDOWS/system32 but I can't find that folder on my PC. Would my PC still run if that whole folder has been deleted?

I've got explorer set to show hidden folders so it's not that. I've searched for a folder called "32" but it didn't show in the results.
SonLight
It is possible to install Windows to a folder other than C:\WINDOWS, but I doubt that that is the case. If it were, you would need to install the dll into the system32 folder relative to the install folder, for example D:\WIN\system32 if your windows was installed to D:\WIN.

Do you have the WINSOWS folder? If so, you should have both a system and a system32 folder within it. If the system folder is there, you can probably install the dll in system and get it to work. The hard question is why you can't find the system32 folder. It is possible, though unlikely to the best of my knoledge, for malware to make a folder totally invisible, not just hidden in the normal sense.

Perhaps it would help if you post a dir listing of your windows folder. You should be able to do that from the command line. If you have any trouble getting that copied into a post, let us know what you have and someone can advise you further.
Peterssidan
There is a option in the "Folder Options"(The same place where you chose to show hidden files) that says "Hide protected operationg system files (Recommended)". It could be that one. there is also one that says "Display the contents of system folders". I didn't see any change when I change these settings but it sound like they have something to do with it.
AftershockVibe
Yeah, by default system folders (and also "hidden" folders) are not displayed in explorer.

So, you can either turn this off in "Tools (menu) > folder options > View (tab)" and click your way there or just enter "c:\windows\system32" into the address bar or run prompt. I'm assuming windows is installed on your c:\ drive.

If you really don't know you can get windows to do it for you if you use the address "%systemroot%\system32".

Cool
DoctorBeaver
Peterssidan wrote:
There is a option in the "Folder Options"(The same place where you chose to show hidden files) that says "Hide protected operationg system files (Recommended)". It could be that one. there is also one that says "Display the contents of system folders". I didn't see any change when I change these settings but it sound like they have something to do with it.

Both of those are set to DISPLAY.

I know the WINDOWS folder used to be there so I can't understand why it has disappeared.
DoctorBeaver
I just used RUN from the start menu to open the folder & it's there. So why isn't it showing in Explorer?

Oh well, that's not important; at least I've still got it. Now all I have to do is figure out where to put oledlg.dll

Thanks for your help everyone.
DoctorBeaver
Curiouser & curiouser.

WINDOWS/system32 already has an oledlg.dll in it; but the existing 1 is 120Kb & the 1 I just downloaded is 115Kb. Also, the existing is marked as last modified 16/10/2007.

So if the dll is there, why am I getting those error messages that it can't be found? Confused
ThePolemistis
DoctorBeaver wrote:
I just used RUN from the start menu to open the folder & it's there. So why isn't it showing in Explorer?

Oh well, that's not important; at least I've still got it. Now all I have to do is figure out where to put oledlg.dll

Thanks for your help everyone.

If I assume correctly, even tho its not important: Folder Options does not appear in Tools menu. Is that what you are saying?

If so, then your registry is corrupted, most likely due to a virus (or some other malicious program). You can fix this problem easily tho, as there is a solution somewhere on the net cus I had this problem once. you just need to delete or a add a key in the registry.. Reply back if this is the case.

Install a free scanner and search ur computer.. I think ur other problem may also be due to a virus.
DoctorBeaver
No, folder options is in the menu but the WINDOWS folder doesn't appear.

I downloaded a security fix about this dll from Microsoft but I can't get it to install.

Can you recommend a good freeware registry fix program? I've downloaded a few but all they do is tell me I've got errors. I have to buy the full program to get them fixed.

It's really annoying me because I can't run several of my most-used programs - GOM player, Adobe Photoshop (although this does eventually load), Explorer XP - and double clicking a file in Windows Explorer doesn't open it. Even right click, OPEN doesn't work. I have to right click, select OPEN WITH and then the program to use.

It's not something I can't live with, but it's bloody aggravating.
DoctorBeaver
Forget what I said in my previous post. I use JSAS for developing my php websites and that won't run. That has totally fekked me as I can't get on with any work! I really need this problem fixed, or a different way to run my php programs, in double quick time.
DoctorBeaver
Panic over. I found various copies of oledlg.dll in different folders all over my PC. They are all different sizes. I picked 1 at random, copied it, and pasted it into WINDOWS/l386/system32 for no reason other than desperation and all my programs work again.

I don't know why I chose that particular copy or directory, but it works - that's all that matters.

I'm a happy beaver again now Laughing
otiscom
Make regular Restore points especialy before installing new software or running your home made progs.

This way if you get probs it could be quickly resolved.
sultan_emerr
DoctorBeaver wrote:
I think I must have got a virus or something because quite a few programs I try to run now fail and I get the message "The application has failed to start because oledlg.dll was not found. Re-installing the program may fix this problem".

I've tried re-installing 3 of the programs affected but I still get the same error. I've tried restoring to my previous restore point but that made no difference.

Has anyone got any idea what I can do about it?

AumHa System Restore Forum = http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=54

Keeping System Restore Healthy = http://bertk.mvps.org/html/healthy.html
http://www.real-knowledge.com/flushres.htm
DoctorBeaver
otiscom wrote:
Make regular Restore points especialy before installing new software or running your home made progs.

This way if you get probs it could be quickly resolved.

I do (at least once a fortnight) and I tried several restore points but none of them made the slightest difference.