FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Good music?

blinx
I am one of those people who will listen to just about anything.
Without complaining loudly.

When I say anything, I mean it. I mean that repetivie trance and house music you might hear in a club, the angry screaming that you would "slit your wrists to," Rock, Indie, Jazz, Pop, Classical, Rap, Hip-Hop, R'n'B, hell, even Folk and Country.

I just enjoy music. All of it... maybe it has something to do with the fact that I've been exposed to a lot of different music, or that I play a few instruments. There are of course songs that you just cannot enjoy. Like this one... you all know it, so I'm not going to mention it. But anyway, I was just wondering if there is anyone out there who's like me?

Will you listen to anything?
Ankhanu
I'll give anything a chance, but... I like to think I have a discerning ear Razz I am selective, to be otherwise, I think, just means you have no personal taste or stance. I'm not saying my tastes are superior to anyone else's, but it's important to have preference.
blinx
I do have a reference, which is what I listen to by myself (and if you really want to know, it's mostly "Indie" Rock), but music in general is a good thing to me. And it really annoys me when I hear people argue about music tastes. Here in England, your music tastes pretty much governs what type of people you hang out eith, which is sad, I think...
Ankhanu
It's just a means by which we group ourselves... just as silly and meaningful as grouping by fashion, political views, race, religion, geographic region of origin, or any other interest. People like to feel like they belong, so we become divisive using the most meaningless topics to create discrete units with which to associate. Hence the musical taste fights. They're foolish, but a reflection of human nature.

But beyond that, there is music that I just cannot stand listening to. I'm not so simple as to say I dislike entire genres, nobody can hate or love an entire genre... but there are styles or specific songs that fill me with disgust that the music ever managed to be recorded, and there's a lot of stuff I can tolerate, but not like in the least. Being able to discern the good from the bad is terribly important, imo... we just have to recognize that our judgements are subjective, and don't, nor should they, apply to everyone.
MeddlingMonk
I agree that our judgements are subjective. Hence, here are my subjective judgements: I can't tolerate everything when it comes to music. There are songs (if you could call them that) that just sound like noise to me, so I avoid them. I prefer music where I can actually differentiate all the instruments (even if there's only one) and they're not heavily distorted. Another major thing that I judge music by is lyrics. If I find the lyrics distasteful or the vocalist can't sing, then no matter how good the music, I don't listen to it.
gwaps
YEs Offcourse, but i prefer not to continue if the sound is really bad, you know
pudovkin
I'm opened for any kind of music, but course there's some styles and genres that I know I don't like. Razz
The most important thing is to be open even if you know that the genre is not very pleasant to you; when it's about music, genres can be a limitation to new things that you may like.
takashiro
Of course Pop Music! Popular, isn't it? But there are also many kinds of pop music. I prefer light, hopeful music.
Kelcey
I will almost listen to everything. I don't think there's a genre where I hate EVERY song I've heard.
rappn
Im in for:
Metal
Hard Rock
And some radiomusic (With that i mean, allmost all kind of music)

Some good songs;
In Flames - Come Clarity - Good song/lyrics
In Flames - Only for the weaks - Good song/lyrics
Breaking Benjamins - In the diary of jane - Awesome song!
Breaking Benjamins - Blow me away - The halo theme, good song!
Iron Maiden - Ghost of the navigator - Well its Iron maiden? Laughing
Iron Maiden - Deja vu - Well its Iron maiden? Laughing
Iron Maiden - Alexander the great - Well its Iron maiden? Laughing
liljp617
I prefer not to listen to anything on the radio/MTV/VH1 (only radio stations I'll listen to are classic rock or some metal). I dislike country music with a passion. Mainstream music annoys me, regardless of genre. I am a metalhead to say the least Very Happy Pantera, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Black Sabbath, Ozzy, etc. but I'll listen to some select hip hop (mos def, tupac, k-os, and some others who aren't into the mainstream as much). I don't care for classical music; I've tried to get into it, it just isn't in my taste. I listen to some blues, classic rock. Pretty much anything that involves good electric/acoustic guitar I'll listen to.
Ankhanu
liljp617 wrote:
Mainstream music annoys me, regardless of genre. I am a metalhead to say the least Very Happy Pantera, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Black Sabbath, Ozzy, etc. but I'll listen to some select hip hop (mos def, tupac, k-os, and some others who aren't into the mainstream as much).

You realize every band you mentioned there is mainstream, right???
vinzes
Cold play.

Ahhh... Very relaxing yet emotional. I could easily get high with the music itself. And that is better than drugs! Laughing
ftv_flung
Blinx, I'm just like you!

I listen to sooo many different genres. Pretty much anything, you name it, I've heard it. Genres, sub-genres too, fusions of genres!

My favourites are mainly Electronica.
liljp617
Ankhanu wrote:
liljp617 wrote:
Mainstream music annoys me, regardless of genre. I am a metalhead to say the least Very Happy Pantera, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Black Sabbath, Ozzy, etc. but I'll listen to some select hip hop (mos def, tupac, k-os, and some others who aren't into the mainstream as much).

You realize every band you mentioned there is mainstream, right???

A) Pantera and the original Black Sabbath are no longer even playing. I don't see how they're mainstream.
B) It was extremely rare to hear/see Pantera or Black Sabbath on the radio/MTV when they were still together. Metallica less rare, but that's because their music is somewhat more diverse than most metal bands and they've been around for an extremely long time.
C) I don't know what your definition of mainstream is, but you could walk up to almost any person on the street and they wouldn't know who Pantera or Black Sabbath is. Those bands are mainstream in the metal/thrash genre, but metal/thrash are hardly mainstream in today's society. Most people know Ozzy simply because he's dubbed the 'prince of darkness' and a metal god along with the fact that he's been in the music scene for 40+ years. They wouldn't know hardly anything about the group Ozzy played with however.
D) Mos Def and K-OS are not even close to mainstream. If you think of Mos Def and K-OS when you hear the word hip hop, then you're a minority in that respect. When people hear hip hop/rap they think Jay-Z, TI, Eminem, Lil Wayne, etc. Most people, unless they're really into the hip hop scene and keep up with it closely have never even heard of K-OS and probably don't know much about Mos Def. That doesn't fit my description of mainstream.

I've seen/heard maybe a total of 15 songs on MTV/radio from the first four/five (if you put Ozzy as separate from Black Sabbath) bands I mentioned. That may be an overestimate. I don't see how that's mainstream. When the vast majority of people have never even heard of the band/artist, how is it mainstream?
Ankhanu
We live in different worlds then Razz

Mainstream generally refers to the common and accepted bands within a genre, or, overall. These are the major label bands that are in all the magazines, get their videos played and even have TV airtime. They're bands with the big glossy posters for sale at all the mainstream record shops.

You actually have to look for the stuff that off of the mainstream... those bands, sorry, they're everywhere, and most people (within the 35 and under crowd at least) know of them, even if they don't know their music very well.

You could walk up to a guy in a bar with a popped collar, frosted tips in his fauxhawk and his shirt buttoned down to the third button and ask him if he knows Pantera, and he'll probably say "Cowboys from Hell", right?

Ya may as well say Zeppelin isn't mainstream.

Of course, that's not to say that mainstream music can't be good. Some of my favorite artists are mainstream... and that's exactly why I'd heard of them.
kiran_n444
I won't listen to anything thats not Hip-Hop, Rap, RNB or REGGAE. i'M SORRY BUt thats just the way it is.
Eyre
Well if you like anything, I'll give you my favorites. It's all rock, but slightly different genres between them:
Saosin is a pretty good mix of different kinds of rock. I really can't explain how much I like them, but chances are if you like one of their songs, you like them all.
Panic Division mixes electronica kind of stuff with rock, and all their melodies and sound invokes a feeling or mood so to say, and I've never listened to one of their songs without really thinking about it. And they play very well too Wink.
Just Surrender is kind of like older Brand New if you've ever heard them. Again, hard to describe as they have some variation, but you've got to be in the right mood to listen to them.
Envy on the Coast is...different. They play some catchy stuff. I got into them because they are touring with Saosin right now =D
All Time Low is more pop rock. Very catchy and very good music in my opinion. All of their stuff is good. Enjoy Wink
djcaution
I too, am like you and will listen to almost anything. Being an electronic music DJ of course that is my favourite, but I also love heavy metal/rock & hip hop etc, I can even get into classical seeing as how I was in band half my life. In fact I played violin on TV when I was 11 yrs old, and I won a scholarship in jr high for playing clarinet & went to band camp LOL.

If you like techno you should download my sets though, http://caution.frih.net Wink
My sets range from house to electro house to hard trance, my specialty, just hold the mouse over the download link for it to pop up the genre
Arnie
Anything? ... How about this then?

Or... this??? Mr. Green
Ankhanu
I would be surprised if those who say they like all music actually like, say, goregrind, for example.
clydejaw
Eyre wrote:
Well if you like anything, I'll give you my favorites. It's all rock, but slightly different genres between them:
Saosin is a pretty good mix of different kinds of rock. I really can't explain how much I like them, but chances are if you like one of their songs, you like them all.
Panic Division mixes electronica kind of stuff with rock, and all their melodies and sound invokes a feeling or mood so to say, and I've never listened to one of their songs without really thinking about it. And they play very well too Wink.
Just Surrender is kind of like older Brand New if you've ever heard them. Again, hard to describe as they have some variation, but you've got to be in the right mood to listen to them.
Envy on the Coast is...different. They play some catchy stuff. I got into them because they are touring with Saosin right now =D
All Time Low is more pop rock. Very catchy and very good music in my opinion. All of their stuff is good. Enjoy Wink

AMEN BROTHER!

Saosin is the shitznit.. All time low is my current fav atm. Brand new is good for chill out sessions. Boys like girls is another catchy pop punk band... Alexisonfire is pretty sick too.
djcaution
Quote:

Or... this???

lol lets keep it in this century bro
liljp617
Ankhanu wrote:
I would be surprised if those who say they like all music actually like, say, goregrind, for example.

I would assume the vast majority of people don't have a single clue as to what it is. When people say they like everything, they typically mean the major genres.
Arnie
djcaution wrote:
Quote:

Or... this???
lol lets keep it in this century bro
This the topic starter should appreciate, considering his avatar...

Quote:
When people say they like everything, they typically mean the major genres.
Just like the people that say "I'll code anything for frih$" (see my sig on that one).. In fact this particular guy claimed to do anything for frih$... :/
Jakob [JaWGames]
I am a person who can listen to most music but not everthing. Most rap and similiar music gives me creeps and I can't enjoy some of the unmelodic black and death metal. But otherwise I listens to the most Smile
Srs2388
i like some ragge i love rock mainly though i can't stand sappy sad music... like
bla bla bla my girl left me now im lonely and drunk and meh
that's stupid lol if im upset i love the hardest of hard metal it calms me down... i know that sounds weird but it does.