FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Multiboot Vista with XP using MBR boot manager

shenyl
I have prepared my NB now with extra diskspace to reload Vista, and have added additional RAM to handle the sluggishness.

I am using Mrbooter with XP, Win2003Server, Shared Drive, empty disk space (for Vista).

Before I attempt this, would be great if someone can give any preemptive advice/warning.

Much appreciated.
eznet
If you don't mind me asking... why are you running Xp, Windows2003 Server, and Vista on a Notebook? I have no problems with dual boot using Vista and Ubuntu with GRUB as the bootloader. The bootloader is installed on the MBR and the Vista install is the 1st primary - though I don't know if that tells you anything about anything in regards to your deal Smile
shenyl
Good that you asked and given me a little confidence that I could proceed with what I intent to do.

I teaches Computering subjects - Web Design, Internet database application development (C#, .NET, Web Services, and MS SQL), and several other modules (Macromedia, etc).

I use the XP pro to do these topics.

I also teaches ERP/ MIS subjects, and has to demo using the ERP system, which runs only on Windows server (Win 2003 is used for this).

Finally, the Vista, I do not wish to be left behind and I will like further explore this OS when I have the time to spare.

Now if you manage Vista and Ubuntu, I guess I should be able to load Vista with the XP and Win 2003 server.

But I do hope to hear from someone else who has tried something closer to my configuration.
eznet
Yes, you can install windows xp, 2003 and vista all on the same machine. For the life of me, I cannot figure out why one would want to make such a monstrosity - but it can certainly be done.

All three OSs (XP, 2003 and Vista) require one partition (virtual or physical) for installation. With a boot loader select which OS you want to boot into.

I think that there is a lot of unnecessary MS OS'in going on here. Are you sure that you need to have 2003 for the ERP system demo? Are you sure that it will not run under XP or Vista (with compatability mode)? Also, what I would likely recommend if you have to have 2003 for the ERP demo then install 2003 in a virtual machine instead of a whole install of its own. Virtual PC is free from MS for this and there are multiple free ones under Linux if you were want want linux on there as well.

I am in Linux 99.9% of the time though I do occasionally find where I have to run Win XP programs - for this I use a virtual XP install that runs from within my Linux install. I am using QEmu right now and it works great though there are alternatives as well.
shenyl
Good day to you eznet, and thanks for the thorough thoughts on the multiple OSs.

Yes, they are unnecessary esp the Win2003 server (problem is that the demo ERP has strict requirements). I also use them to be familiar with the different OSs, you would not feel competence to advice others when you do not really use them. I do serve periodically as a System Engineer to organisations, as I have my MCSE and MCDBA certification.

The idea of Virt PC is good, but in the past I do not have enough RAM and Disk space.

But now I have upgraded, adn I should consider this serious.

Thanks for the encourage that I can try adding Vista.

With best regards.
ThePolemistis
shenyl wrote:
I have prepared my NB now with extra diskspace to reload Vista, and have added additional RAM to handle the sluggishness.

I am using Mrbooter with XP, Win2003Server, Shared Drive, empty disk space (for Vista).

Before I attempt this, would be great if someone can give any preemptive advice/warning.

Much appreciated.

yup,, it is possible to do this... I did it some time ago with Win2000, Win2k3 server, and linux.
Basically, the easiest way is through partitioning the harddrive.
I had 2 physcial harddrives.

On harddrive 1 (partiioned into 3): i had Windows 2000, Ubuntu Linux and Windows 2k3 Server

On harddrive 2 (partitioned into 2): half was simply NTFS free space partition (where I did any backups needed), and the other half was fedora linux.

I didnt have any problems at all, and my PC at that time was quite old. Also, windows 2k3 server doesnt require much ram as compared to Vista or even windows 2008 server (once its out). I think the minimum requirements for windows 2003 server is 133 Mhz,, and seeing that ur computer can handle vista,, it should have no problems.
spykE
Just see you install Vista as your last OS and you will have no problems at all. The other people have said the rest already Wink.