FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Ubuntu 7.10 "Gutsy Gibbon" Released

AftershockVibe
Kubuntu (etc) releases to follow shortly.

Existing Ubuntu users can simply click the button in the update manager.

New users can download from here:
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

Alternatively use the following torrent link (torrent at the moment is faster than direct download for me):
http://ubuntu.gds.tuwien.ac.at/cdimage/releases/gutsy/ubuntu-7.10-desktop-i386.iso.torrent

Prominent New Features:
- Pidgin replaces GAIM (instant messenger)
- XGL 3D-Accelerated Desktop configurable by default.
- Better multimedia support (easy MP3 etc codec download)
- More information and Screenshots
LukeakaDanish
Updating my xubuntu box now ^_^

Hopefully the update will fix some shutdown problems its been having Confused

OMG Xgl by default?? Probably not for Xubuntu though? Xgl looks pretty fecking mint tbh Razz
william
Yeah, I was waiting for this for a LONG time. I have a computer that couldn't run Linux properly because it had REALLY new hardware. I tried Tribe 5, and that worked just fine, so I'm glad to see the final version is finally out. I would have downloaded it yesterday, but all the servers were so loaded, the download was about 20 kilobytes/second. I intend on updating my Linux machine this weekend, and if the servers aren't full (today I was getting 60 kilobytes/second when I normally come around a megabyte/second), I'll install Ubuntu on my newer computer. Windows XP and Vista were a pain to use. Sad
{name here}
This is good. Hopefully Ubuntu's new fancy eye candy and such will get people more interested in Linux, though I am really ticked at the lack of a 64-bit flash player, and that might throw a few people off the bandwagon.
AftershockVibe
{name here} wrote:
This is good. Hopefully Ubuntu's new fancy eye candy and such will get people more interested in Linux, though I am really ticked at the lack of a 64-bit flash player, and that might throw a few people off the bandwagon.

This is indeed annoying. It doesn't affect me since I use the 32bit OS but Adobe have had a year now since they released the 64bit version of flash player for Vista.

You'd think at least they could make the 32bit version work in some sort of compatability mode.
mehulved
Upgraded the feisty installed in virtualbox, to gutsy via update-manager. Went really smooth as I didn't have too many packages installed.
I will try out gutsy today and see what changes have come about.
{name here}
AftershockVibe wrote:
{name here} wrote:

This is indeed annoying. It doesn't affect me since I use the 32bit OS but Adobe have had a year now since they released the 64bit version of flash player for Vista.

You'd think at least they could make the 32bit version work in some sort of compatability mode.

You can kludge it with ndiswrapper, but it seems to work randomly.
infobankr
I just installed Gutsy yesterday and I love it! The new interface effects are very cool. I haven't gotten the cube to work yet, but the drop shadow is a major improvement.
AftershockVibe
infobankr wrote:
I just installed Gutsy yesterday and I love it! The new interface effects are very cool. I haven't gotten the cube to work yet, but the drop shadow is a major improvement.

Cube isn't on by default, if you hold ALT+RightArrow (or Left) you get a sliding effect from one desktop to another which I actually prefer but it's not quite as impressive as the cube.

If you want to customise the effects you can install the compizconfig-settings-manager package. So either use Synaptic package manager to search, select and install it or if you want to just use the command line:
Code:
sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager

Cube away! (plus everything else as well)

Cool
jordi
I don't use this 'unbunto'.. I don't think that this is a better one than Windows or something ... Razz
Emmer-Compascuum
I tried it...

Hm, I have no idea what's wrong with my installation... When I ran the installation for the first time, the live system simply crashed and when I tried to install it a second time it didn't/doesn't boot. >_> Up to now, for me Ubuntu got worse every edition. ;_;
LostOverThere
jordi wrote:
I don't use this 'unbunto'.. I don't think that this is a better one than Windows or something ... Razz

Uh...For starters its Ubuntu. Secondly it is way better then Windows, its Linux after all.
Arno v. Lumig
LostOverThere wrote:
jordi wrote:

Uh...For starters its Ubuntu. Secondly it is way better then Windows, its Linux after all.

Dream on... In some cases it might be better, but Windows is also better in some cases...

@jordi: Why don't you just try? You can't really know if it's nice without having tried it.
Nubilosus
Hey people!

I'm using Ubuntu Linux sinc eversion 6 or some, and since Ubuntu 7.10 was released 10 days ago I was wodnering if anybody here uses Ubuntu too?
LukeakaDanish
Arno v. Lumig wrote:
LostOverThere wrote:
jordi wrote:

Dream on... In some cases it might be better, but Windows is also better in some cases...

@jordi: Why don't you just try? You can't really know if it's nice without having tried it.

I agree - for gaming, for example, nothing beats windows XP...there is in my mind no doubt though, that ubuntu beats Vista...simply because Vista is so slow.

I think many *nix users combine using XP and a *nix distro, and seen as ubuntu, as a good example, is completely free to install and try out, alongside your winXP, i think you, jordi should try it out and see what you think.
LostOverThere
Depends, in compatibility nothing beats XP. But in cases where you can play on both Windoh's and Linux, Linux performs faster.

For example, the game Tremulous runs on Windows about 80FPS. On Linux, it usually sits at about 90FPS.
djclue917
Of course somebody else here uses Ubuntu. If you cared searching "ubuntu" in the forums, you would definitely find tons of threads about Ubuntu. I myself is an Ubuntu user though I prefer and use KDE instead of GNOME. Actually, I'm rarely booting into Ubuntu now because I'm using Arch Linux 95% of the time.
carlospro7
This looks really cool. I can't wait to get my memory sticks back from newegg and have ubuntu installed
LukeakaDanish
carlospro7 wrote:
This looks really cool. I can't wait to get my memory sticks back from newegg and have ubuntu installed

Ehm...seen as you can't boot from USB devices, that would presumably not be possible?
LostOverThere
LukeakaDanish wrote:
carlospro7 wrote:

Ehm...seen as you can't boot from USB devices, that would presumably not be possible?

Some BIOS' can. Also you can make CD-Roms to call the USB stick to boot.
Talk2Tom11
Ubuntu is the best I love it. However I have not yet tried version 7. I ams till on 6. Will let you know what is new when I do though Smile
bostko
I've tried too Ubuntu 7.10 and I love. It comes with very good 3D desktop effects. But I have problems with installing Beryl. Does anybody installed beryl on Ubuntu 7.10 Surprised
LostOverThere
Guys, this is Software for Operating Systems. Ubuntu is an Operating Systems, there is a Ubuntu 7.10 topic in there.
mOrpheuS
LostOverThere wrote:
Guys, this is Software for Operating Systems. Ubuntu is an Operating Systems, there is a Ubuntu 7.10 topic in there.

Precisely !

I've merged the two threads.
mystzero
Wonder if anyone had the same problem like me when performing an upgrade using an alternate cd. Right before the upgrade process really started, I was being presented with an error message "Could not calculate upgrade." and the upgrade manager closes. Confused
emem
I really like that new gnome look. Although I liked the old version too. I just don't know why don't big companies, like adobe, make their software compatible with linux - there would be much more users!
mehulved
mystzero wrote:
Wonder if anyone had the same problem like me when performing an upgrade using an alternate cd. Right before the upgrade process really started, I was being presented with an error message "Could not calculate upgrade." and the upgrade manager closes. Confused

Try running apt-get dist-upgrade from terminal and see what it says.
infobankr
The new gnome / compiz graphics are awesome, too bad so many graphics drivers are still closed source... Sad
LostOverThere
Well, its not a good idea to use the update function. Its best to have a fresh install.

My Ubuntu 7.10 CDs should be arriving soon! Smile
BrianElliott0218
LostOverThere wrote:
Well, its not a good idea to use the update function. Its best to have a fresh install.

My Ubuntu 7.10 CDs should be arriving soon! Smile

I have the downloads of many of the Ubuntu Releases (I have been experimenting for about 2 weeks with the various flavors of Ubuntu). I tried to update to Kubuntu 7.04 and I see what you mean! It takes bloody forever to get all the downloads. Then, after it got done and I rebooted the system, I couldn't get the wired network to work anymore. I plugged in a USB network dongle and that got me back on, but even then, it took almost the same amount of time to download the new updates for the upgrade to the new version. AND several of the installers broke. This is one catch point for me with Ubuntu... When an installer breaks, it notes it as being installed anyway... Hmmm... Maybe I should generate a bug report.

Anyway, I downloaded the new Kubuntu Distro in about 1/4 the time it takes to download the first round of update packages, and reinstalled it. Now it is still slow going on the new installers. I think a bit of this has to do with my use of an older machine with low RAM (256MB), but it should still finish the install process without breaking the installed OS, right?

I am still enjoying the honeymoon with Ubuntu, but it can get frustrating not knowing everything I need to when I run into issues. I can fix a PC that has been lying dead in the street, but a linux problem can really shut me down. I am SO GLAD we have a good community to rely on for information and fixes.

Thanks to all the Linux Gurus out there who offer their help so readily!

~BE
LostOverThere
A system update is much harder when the kernel and the base system has also changed. Thus if ever you know the new version is also updating the base system (not just changing the desktop environment and some apps like in Vista) always do a fresh installation.
MarzEz
my friend has 7.10 and some of the graphics effects are AWESOME!!!!!
i had ordered some cd's too, which i got on the very same afternoon.
but 7.10 needs more than 256mb of ram, so i'll have to get a better computer or new ram.\
still, UBUNTU FTW!!!
LostOverThere
MarzEz wrote:
my friend has 7.10 and some of the graphics effects are AWESOME!!!!!
i had ordered some cd's too, which i got on the very same afternoon.
but 7.10 needs more than 256mb of ram, so i'll have to get a better computer or new ram.\
still, UBUNTU FTW!!!

That's just the live cd. But if you use the alternative CD, you can use it with a little bit less RAM.
MarzEz
alternate cd? where can i get it?
LostOverThere
http://ubuntu.com

Its available through the large majority of the download mirrors. Smile
MarzEz
available for download...
s***. Brick wall
i have 300mb of download limit.
can i order an alternate cd online via shipit?
thx.
black1029
i never tried but i want to try...i heard that ubuntu software are free and they ship it in front of your door... i order 5 cd of said software is about 10 weeks before u get ur copy now i patiently waiting for copy i hoping it is really truly..... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
MarzEz
as far as i know, it takes about that ong. i always use live cd's.
bardi
I have used Ubuntu for awhile now. I have used Breezy, Dapper, Feisty and Gutsy. The laptop I am using now is dual booting. It came with MS Windows Vista Business, but now boots Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon by default.

I use Vista occasionally. The reason is that sometimes configuring Ubuntu can be quite challenging when things don't work. My main problems are playing media and wireless networking.

For a computer programmer, Ubuntu is wonderful. You can look at everything and get an incredible amount of fine, free and open source software.

Using synaptic (the GUI package manager) to get Apache, PHP and Mysql running is very simple. Setting up Ubuntu synaptic (and friends) to find software requires a bit of work. But what you get is truly amazing.