FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

switching between GRUB and windows boot manager

riyadh
i have Ubuntu 7.04 and windows xp installed on my pc.since i installed ubuntu after i installed xp i have to load the OSs using GRUB but i want to use windows boot manager instead.how do i go about doin that?
AftershockVibe
Well... this guy reckons he's done it: http://www.tprthai.net/bootmgr.htm

I'm not sure why you'd want to though, it only displays for a few seconds and if you remove the interactive editing in GRUB they look almost identical anyway.
muggle
Could you clarify a bit your question? You just want to switch back to Windows’ boot manager or you want to use it to launch Linux as well?
Both these are possible but not quite easy to implement and maintain. Of course if you insist no one will stop you of doing it…
Take a look here for just restoring MBR (i.e. the Windows’ boot manager)
NTFS.com Fixing and repair MBR.Fix MBR.Recover boot record.Recovery.
And here you are a tutorial for dual boot system while using Windows’ boot manager
Understanding the Boot Process and NTLDR
shenyl
You can use MasterBooter (MRBooter.exe) which runs on DOS base to configure the Master Boot Record (MBR). It has the efdisk /mbr to restore a clean MBR record.

I will normally use a Bootable CD or Bootable USB to boot into DOS and run efdisk /mbr to install a clean MBR and then run MRBOOTER.exe which allows me to configure up to 3 OSs.

This is the shareware version,
http://www.masterbooter.com/download/sharewareversion_en.html

I am using an older version, and it works well, if I only need 3 OSs on one computer.

Check it out.
mehulved
You can also try some good third party boot manager like GAG.
ThePolemistis
riyadh wrote:
i have Ubuntu 7.04 and windows xp installed on my pc.since i installed ubuntu after i installed xp i have to load the OSs using GRUB but i want to use windows boot manager instead.how do i go about doin that?

hmm... i think I have stated this in a previous post
but basically, u need to download grub onto windows. copy the menu.lst file (from linux parition in the boot folder) into the grub folder.
install grub using grubinstall i think
enter the recovery console via xp cd, and do fixboot.
modify boot.ini file to include Grub and path it to c:\GRUB (where u installed grub on windows).
Done.
Studio Madcrow
Why on earth would you want to use the VASTLY inferior Windows Boot Manager? It can't pass kernel options to Linux and has plenty of other limits that GRUB doesn't.
carlospro7
I have a similar problem except that I need to get remove linux in a computer I am getting rid of. The current master boot manager is GRUB, and it's not installed in its own separate partition. It's installed in the same partition as the operating system, so I know that when I remove linux, the boot manager will be gone too. So, I need to switch back to the windows boot manager before I do this to avoid not being able to boot. Thanks for this thread.
fadirocks
Studio Madcrow wrote:
Why on earth would you want to use the VASTLY inferior Windows Boot Manager? It can't pass kernel options to Linux and has plenty of other limits that GRUB doesn't.

I was about to say the same thing Smile
Bones
carlospro7 wrote:
I have a similar problem except that I need to get remove linux in a computer I am getting rid of. The current master boot manager is GRUB, and it's not installed in its own separate partition. It's installed in the same partition as the operating system, so I know that when I remove linux, the boot manager will be gone too. So, I need to switch back to the windows boot manager before I do this to avoid not being able to boot. Thanks for this thread.

Once you have removed the Grub boot manager and removed linux, boot from the Windows XP disk to recovery console and use the commands fixboot and fixmbr

That will rewrite the master boot record and should allow you to book into Windows again.