FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Taking up Photography

jwunderlich
With so many new cameras and new software hitting the market, does anyone have good sugggestions on how to get started in digital photgraphy? All the photography books and websites seem to only give you the bare basics and often deal more with marketing products than teaching you how to be a better photographer.

Has anyone found a good site or forum in which to share practical knowledge and truely learn this reemerging art form?
Tumbleweed
If you want to be a good photographer all the old rules still apply to digital Wink
I myself find http://photoinf.com/ a good source for composition articles ,I use photoshop
for editing and find http://www.russellbrown.com/ an easy place to learn new skills.
cvkien
i use to read <digital camera> magazine because there are a lot of tips and nice photos in it. i use it to learn how to take photo like that. besides, it has video tutorial free download for digital photography using photoshop elements and also photoshop itself. and also some camera comparison. so far, it is my first choice of source to learn digital photography.
Bilkers
A lot depends on how far you want to go. It's always good to know the basics, but you also need to find the subject your most likely to be into. Choosing a particular subject will help you. Then you can read up and search information and expand on that subject.
BLAK
I think that www.deviantart.com and www.digart.pl are the best websites I found. There is loads of artwork and photographs on deviantart.com, so I suggest you should register and look for inspiration from other community users.
vinx_18
I love photography so much.... But I have no camera yet...Sad once I have one...I will read and see the resources you have given...
Liu
It's best to just start browsing a ton of people's works. See what images work for you and what doesn't. I've found it's how I developed my own style and processing in my own photos.
m00tmuffin
All of the options above are great, but I think the best things are learned through experimentation and trial and error. Get to know your camera inside and out. Figure out how it works mechanically. Learn about the features it has and play around with each. Don't be afraid to take "bad pictures" (it happens even to the best of photographers and know that a good chunk of the most beautiful photos out there are often quirks of luck.
wellerchap
m00tmuffin wrote:
All of the options above are great, but I think the best things are learned through experimentation and trial and error. Get to know your camera inside and out. Figure out how it works mechanically. Learn about the features it has and play around with each. Don't be afraid to take "bad pictures" (it happens even to the best of photographers and know that a good chunk of the most beautiful photos out there are often quirks of luck.

As someone that's been playing about with his camera for a few years now I think this is the best advice it'd be possible to give...spot on there!
The beauty of digital also, is that you CAN take as many bad photos as need be to get the one good one, and simply delete them all later.

I would also say it's good to be able to "see" photo opportunities before you even get the camera out...when I'm in that mode I look at everything as if it had a frame around it, check the colours and light & if all the ingredients are good I switch the camera on.
I always pre-plan most of my trips so know what to expect in terms of photo opportunities, but if you're interested in snapping any old thing, keep a camera with you at all times!
Srs2388
I would have to say to not get a kodak easyshare.
I have had two of them and they both messed up... my brother dropped it.
it broke.
bought another one because it takes pretty good pictures and it's 8MP.
it now wont even flash and it hasn't been used that much.
all the pics are so dark. you have to put it on candlelight to make it work.
GB
There is a lot of good advice here. One thing I tell everyone who is thinking about purchasing a good camera is to put most of your money into the lenses and not the camera body. If you stick with the same system, you can upgrade the camera body as you get better and are able to save for the better camera body. If you do it the other way and just get a good body but not good lenses, the more expensive body will pick up every imperfection in the cheaper lens.

One other thing I would say about buying a camera is to not just look at the megapixel count. This does not tell the whole story. Also look at the image sensor size. Most (if not all?) amateur level cameras do not have a "full frame" 35 mm sensor. I'm not saying you need a full frame sensor, but it is something to think about. Bigger is better when it comes to sensor sizes.

In buying lenses, look for good quality glass with lens coatings designed to minimize flare, etc. Also, I always look for mostly metal construction, especially for where it connects to the camera. Plastic breaks very easily, and is a sign of a cheap lens anyway.

Finally, I would try out different cameras if you can to find one that fits in your hand and that you feel comfortable with.

Good luck!
agustin
I like taking photographs... its difficult to be pro at it but not impossible.

here are my photos : www.jazzarg.com.ar

I apreciate some comments. agustinesparza@gmail.com

thank you

peace
rvbarreto
I work with Photography. For most part of the jobs, I like to use and old camera that was my first cam. It's a Canon EOS Digital Rebel.

You can buy one for $ 400, with a 55mm lens. Thats pretty good to start. Of course that you can bought better cameras today. This Digital Rebel is already discontinued. Search for 40D or 30D, both are Canons.

The most important, after get the cam it's just click and learn. Try to use manual mode ever, so you can learn more.

To choose your cam, check this site. Really good.
www.dpreview.com

Good Luck!