FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Burning Fat

t1mmclaren
We had a nutritionist come into our work the other day to present a seminar. She talked about good balanced diet and touched a little bit on how your body deals with energy. It is my understanding that if you eat carbohydrates your body will turn that into glucose and pump it around the body so that you can use it for energy. If you don't use it you body will process it and turn it into fat. She said that the aim is to have the right amount of carbohydrates go into your body so that your body burns them off with your day to day activity.

Now this all seemed to be aimed toward just a healthy intake... What about if you want to loose weight? Would you not want to have less carbohydrates and be feeling so that your body is forced to use your fat deposits as energy? Does this mean that when your craving energy and havening a hard time concentrating (because your body is sending you natural messages that it needs energy) that you are pushing your body to use that fat? And is this a good thing?
JBotAlan
Now, I'm no dietician (heck, I can't even spell it), but I seem to remember being told something about how starving yourself doesn't work. Getting to the point where you crave energy is really unhealthy, and creates chemicals that signal starvation, making it harder to lose weight. You might consider digging around on the web/consulting a professional to get a proper diet. You will need to eat some to lose weight, or at least that's my understanding.

JBot
mina
Quote:
Now, I'm no dietician (heck, I can't even spell it), but I seem to remember being told something about how starving yourself doesn't work.

i have to agree here, everything i've heard has always said that starving yourself doesn't work, the body tends to store up more of the energy, creating more fat, because it doesn't like losing that energy and then having nothing to back it up with. so basically you have a reverse effect. you get fatter. (don't know about the entire validity of this fact, i know i've read it in several news articles though.)

the only thing is that i think if you have a healthy intake, you will tend to lose weight, but this is just speculation on my part. i think a healthy intake will help your body adjust to being a healthy weight. but it might help to do some more research. Smile
twisthigh
^ You're absolutely right, my sister is a nutritionist and your fat cells are just craving food so when you stop eating they're like WTF but the minute you eat again they take that up and just hold on to it so you're actually getting fatter.
bukaida
To burn your fat, you have to go the old way--Exercise, Exercise and Exercise.There is no shortcut.
Reducing the regular diet or starving will make one sick and weak. Donot have too much fast foods or cola/ice cream. Try to have a balanced diet with plenty of green vegetables and serials. Believe me, all the readymade methods have long term side effects and doesnot cure the problem from the root. Controlling high calorie food is essential but not by starving or taking unbalanced food. I still remember the case of the FTV model who, for keeping her barby figure, was living only on tomato for four months and finaly died in a heart failure due to weakness.
mawfia
I am in agreement with the last poster. However losing fat cant be done with exercise alone it must also be matched with proper dieting, especially if you have an endomorph body type. Also it is easier to loss fat by replacing it with muslce, were you may weigh more but your body fat percentage will decrease. You want to ultimately increase your metabolism which can be stimulated by cardio and creating a calorie deficit in your daily calorie intake.
whitehole
I've lost a good amount of weight. Daily exercise (gym classes, weights, sports, long walks etc.) and a healthy diet are the safest and most practical ways to loose weight and keep it off. I try and eat at least 1 fruit and vegetable a day and always start the day off with cereal. Water is important too (I know lots of people that have lost 8+ lbs. just from dropping soda out of their life). Fad diets and doing too much working out, especially when you first start almost always lead to failure.

Healthy food + doing more than you consume = less weight.

Good luck and You Can Do It! (<----Staying positive improves your chances too!)
stjbsy
When you have a calorie deficit in your diet, it is important that you increase your protein intake so as to avoid "burning muscles" when you excercise. When you consume more calories than you eat, your body use energy both from fat and muscles to compensate for the calorie deficit. Thus it is important to make sure that you eat enough proteine when you are trying to lose weight (without losing muscle mass).
misterXY
bukaida wrote:
I still remember the case of the FTV model who, for keeping her barby figure, was living only on tomato for four months and finaly died in a heart failure due to weakness.

lol guess she was a vegetable state now! you are what you eat! Smile
Afaceinthematrix
t1mmclaren wrote:
We had a nutritionist come into our work the other day to present a seminar. She talked about good balanced diet and touched a little bit on how your body deals with energy. It is my understanding that if you eat carbohydrates your body will turn that into glucose and pump it around the body so that you can use it for energy. If you don't use it you body will process it and turn it into fat. She said that the aim is to have the right amount of carbohydrates go into your body so that your body burns them off with your day to day activity.

Now this all seemed to be aimed toward just a healthy intake... What about if you want to loose weight? Would you not want to have less carbohydrates and be feeling so that your body is forced to use your fat deposits as energy? Does this mean that when your craving energy and havening a hard time concentrating (because your body is sending you natural messages that it needs energy) that you are pushing your body to use that fat? And is this a good thing?

That is called the "Atkin's Diet." That diet was popular a few years back and basically it was a low-carb diet. It told you not to eat pasta, bread, etc. It was quite popular, even though it's extremely unhealthy. People just need to realize that there isn't really any secret to loosing weight. If you eat healthy, drink a lot of water, and exercise you'll be fine.
gr8inferno
t1mmclaren wrote:

As a Nutritionist as my self, the best thing I can tell you is to look into Glycemic index because not all carbs are created equal. In oder for an individual to loose weight s/he has to change the way s/he eats. Glycemic index merely informes you between the good carbs and bad carbs.
however keep the mainting the mainting exercise/sensible diet/good nutrition and listen to your body.
So starving -not a good Idea- and there's no such thing as forcing your body to use stored fat-
hope I could be some assistance.
annielizstan
Hi,
Do regular exercise.
Join a gym.
Use high protein.
Eat fresh and raw vegetables and drink more water. Water is a natural ingredient which can burn fat.
Diet and exercise are both can effective on weight and control your fat.
Try to eat healthy like fruits,vegetables,beans and drink more water during a day,which also helpful to burn fat.
It will help you.