FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

981 users online

truespeed
how did that happen.

edit: this post is 3rd on my "your posts" when it should be top.
tidruG
I suppose a lot of bots or something. The more popular this site grows, the more I'm beginning to see larger number of people online. Right now, for example, it says - " In total there are 977 users online :: 34 Registered, 4 Hidden and 939 Guests "

Needless to say, I do believe most of those 939 guests are bots.
truespeed
Still doesn't explain why a post i made today is below one that was made last night on my "view your posts"

Edit: this 2nd post has made it to the top,it says it was posted at 11.48am,but i have my profile set to GMT+1 so it should read posted at 18.48pm
ashish2005
Yes, I always notice that there are almost a thousand people online in this site and out of them only a few are registered members and the rest are guests. Maybe the members who post here are less but there are guests out there who are reading the posts after they reach this site from a search engine like google. I often reach frihost when I am searching for something in google.
AG007
Lol today Oct 16 is a new record of 1023. Wow no doubt there is a lot of bots.
djcaution
duh dude, if SOMEBODY ELSE posts on a post that you made yesterday, it will go back to the top of the your posts list. Any post that you make on this site will go and will stay in the list on the your posts page, however any post that anybody at all makes also on that same thread, will make it go right back to the top of that list in the same way that it goes back to the top of the whole forum.

you didnt know that? Laughing
pashmina
Try indexing your site with the sphider search engine script and you will get about 400 people online at once.
This is all because of the bots..
tempdbs
AG007 wrote:
Lol today Oct 16 is a new record of 1023. Wow no doubt there is a lot of bots.

Oops...! Really Its record. All the them are not frihosters. There may be so many guests..!

pashmina wrote:
Try indexing your site with the sphider search engine script and you will get about 400 people online at once.
This is all because of the bots..

Truely... It is because of the bots only... For normal web pages only, it will be high... then what abt this frihost ? (It may be toooooooooo high)
mathiaus
Whilst the number is higher than usual, I noticed a problem yesterday. Checking the users online, it was showing them form all times, from hours ago rather than just a couple of minutes. I think this and the higher number of 'guests' caused the number to reach 981, though in actual fact, it was much lower.
truespeed
djcaution wrote:
duh dude, if SOMEBODY ELSE posts on a post that you made yesterday, it will go back to the top of the your posts list. Any post that you make on this site will go and will stay in the list on the your posts page, however any post that anybody at all makes also on that same thread, will make it go right back to the top of that list in the same way that it goes back to the top of the whole forum.

you didnt know that? Laughing

I know that,but the thread that was above the one i had just made,had not been commented on since the previous day,therefore the most recent post,the one i had just made,should of topped the "view your posts" list.

The time on here is still wrong by the way. maybe that explains the peculiarity with the "view your posts" list.
Aless
That's weird that the online count would factor in bots? I would think it would have to be registered users, but that shows how much I know...
mathiaus
The time should be correct if you set your timezone right in your profile. It will be 1 hour off you currently observe daylight saving though.
unknownc1c
well like ashish said, some of those guest might be getting here while searching for things on google. I doubt many of them are bots, if they were that would be a TON of bots. I'm guessing it's a combination of people who aren't registered and are just passing by, and members who haven't logged in
djcaution
what do these 'bots' do???
scotty
djcaution wrote:
what do these 'bots' do???

Search engines indexing the page perhaps? More likely SPAM link generators.
Bondings
There seems to be a problem with the server time - again. Maybe the server was restarted and the time got set to a previous time, causing all users/guests who were online during the difference, to be in the list, instead of the users that were active during the last 5 minutes. The same thing happened when I transferred the forums to the new server.
Seiji
My forum gets a lot of spam bots but not anything close to 1000 or let alone 10 Laughing I know FriHost is popular so I wouldn't be surprised to see about 200 or so real members browsing the forum.
J-Evil
could be either bots, or a DDoS attempt :s
raine dragon
That's a lot of bots... but not a totally unheard of amount.

The forum I work with has a record of :: Most people ever online was 412 on 29 Jun 2007 01:16 pm

Of that 412, I know for sure that 375+ were bots.

I'm not sure what they are doing, but for about a week there, we would get bot, after bot, after bot, until we couldn't stand the strain of them all and then *poof* they would all run away one by one. Almost like they were testing our server's strength... o.o;

But we are a much smaller forum then this, and we get a lot less traffic, so it would make sense that if we get 375+ bots, Frihost could get about 3x as many.
xkobram
Wow, I have never heard of amount of bots like that. It does enlarge traffic, doesn't it?
nilsmo
Does anyone know why so many bots are here constantly?
mathiaus
Searches for me result in frihost being one of the top result sites. As such, they want to keep spidering to have the most up date keywords on me and caches etc to provide a better search. In a way then, I'm to blame!

<realworld>I don't know</realworld>
raine dragon
Forums tend to have very dynamic content, and tons and tons of pages.

Take a standard site with 20 pages. Now if I change every page, everyday that is 20 pages a day for the bot to check and record that they have been changed...

but on a forum, you have the forum index, each topic, every profile. Tons and tons of pages to check, and constantly a stream of changes and new pages. It would follow then, that bots would take longer to index forums then general sites. ^_^;
m-productions
theem
once i had like 300 users online at my forum ...
in real there were only 42 ..

other were global search site boots !!! Confused