FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Are we allowed to link to mp3 sites?

Dreamer
The title said it all... I know we aren't supposed to have mp3 files on here, but is linking ok? 'cause there's a topic in my forum asking about mp3 sites... So I want to make sure that we can/can't link to those sites...

Thanks in advance. =)
Bondings
Dreamer wrote:
The title said it all... I know we aren't supposed to have mp3 files on here, but is linking ok? 'cause there's a topic in my forum asking about mp3 sites... So I want to make sure that we can/can't link to those sites...

Thanks in advance. =)

You can link to a website offering legal downloads, but not to the download itself.
Dreamer
But how do you know if the MP3 site is legal or not? 'cause I heard most mp3 sites are illegal?
tidruG
Dreamer wrote:
But how do you know if the MP3 site is legal or not? 'cause I heard most mp3 sites are illegal?

Most of the sites that offer "free" MP3s are illegal. The sites that generally ask you to pay per song are free... but this isn't the only way to find out... there are certain exceptions... like www.amazon.com offers some songs for free downloads legally.
Bondings
tidrug wrote:
The sites that generally ask you to pay per song are free...

Yeah, right. I think you made a little mistake there. Mr. Green

Arrow The sites that generally ask you to pay per song are legal ...
Dreamer
Ohhhh... Now I see... Thanks a lot. =)

*goes off posting rules for linking sites on the forum*
tidruG
Bondings wrote:
tidrug wrote:
The sites that generally ask you to pay per song are free...

Yeah, right. I think you made a little mistake there. Mr. Green

Arrow The sites that generally ask you to pay per song are legal ...

Oops... yes, that's what I mean. Anyway, can you think of any other ways of making sure a site's legal?
Dreamer
I searched on google.com and found some very interesting things...

I would take that frihost.com is on a US server so it's gonna follow the US law. xD

To make sure the site is legal, you need to see what file the site provides. And then you can go to US Copyright Office Website and check to see if that file has been registered or not. If it is registered, that means they cannot distribute it freely. If they distribute freely, they need to have permission.

Errr... I think that's what I got out of reading those articles... xD

Oh yeah, torrents are legal, right?
Bondings
Dreamer wrote:
Oh yeah, torrents are legal, right?

Most of them (99%) aren't legal, but the concept is legal. That's why they are forbidden on frihost.
simplyw00x
Quote:
Most of them (99%) aren't legal, but the concept is legal. That's why they are forbidden on frihost.

But the .torrent file itself has no copyrighted content, it has a server address that has addresses of computers with the content. Hence, a site linking to sites linking to .torrent files has at least 5 degrees (to the torrent site, to the .torrent, to the tracker, to the computer) of separation between it and anything illegal. Hence, surely OK? Laughing No-one's prosecuting anyone 5 steps away from illegal stuff...