FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Student recipes

zanzou
Anyone have any good ones? Quick, cheap, and easy are the ways to go.

I'm overly fond of...

1 cup rice w/ margarine
1/8 cup lentils
1 jar generic pasta sauce
+veggies of choice (in my case, zucchini, celery and carrots... with garlic and onion, of course).

As an alternative, just having the rice with margarine with lentils + onions and red peppers is also really good. :D
WhistleTurning
I was always under the impression that students DID NOT cook, just dumped a tin contents in to a dish and stuck it into the Microwave, or went down the Chippy or takeaway
zanzou
WhistleTurning wrote:
I was always under the impression that students DID NOT cook, just dumped a tin contents in to a dish and stuck it into the Microwave, or went down the Chippy or takeaway

:/ That's actually way more expensive than cooking, so smart students with no meal plans learn to cook very quickly.
natem
Here are a couple, If you are a vegetarian, you are out of luck because I am not.

Mac and cheese

2 cups generic macaroni
1 tb margarine
1/2 onion diced
2 cups grated cheese
2 tb flour
1 1/2cup milk
1/2 tsp salt
pepper to taste

Boil 3 cups of water, add macaroni, reduce heat and cover
Melt margarine in a sauce pan on medium heat, add onion cook until transparent, add flour, cook for one minute.
add milk stir until flour/ margarine mixture dissolves. Add cheese, stir until cheese melts and mixture thickens. Add salt and pepper.
Drain macaroni, pour into a casserole dish, pour sauce over top.
Add some more grated cheese on top, put in oven at 350 F and cook for 35 minutes.

Red Thai curry

4 chicken thighs bones removed, cubed
1 tsp thai red curry
1 can coconut milk
1/2 acorn squash or 1/4 of a spaghetti squash cubed
3 basil leaves
1 tb fish sauce
1tb brown sugar
2 stalks lemon grass outer layers removed cut into pieces.

Cook chicken in some oil, add red curry, cook for 1 minute. Add coconut milk, lemon grass, brown sugar and fish sauce. Add basil and acorn squash, cover, simmer on low until squash is cooked. Serve with basmatti or jasmine rice.

Super Ramen

Take one package instant noodles, add frozen veggies, cut up cooked chicken. Bring to a boil. Break an egg into it, serve after egg is cooked.
mad-life
Always found froxen pizza to be a classic. But a couple of my favourites are, beside the pizza, spaghetti pesto and spaghetti olivo (I think it's called). One of my friends hail from Italy.

Pesto
Grab a handful of spaghetti, boil it as ususal with a bit less salt. When it's done you drain it and tip a spoon of pesto over. Mix until the spaghetti has a slight green sheen to it.

Olive
As above, just substitute persto for a 3:1 mic of butter and olive oil.
zanzou
mad-life wrote:
Always found froxen pizza to be a classic. But a couple of my favourites are, beside the pizza, spaghetti pesto and spaghetti olivo (I think it's called). One of my friends hail from Italy.

Pesto
Grab a handful of spaghetti, boil it as ususal with a bit less salt. When it's done you drain it and tip a spoon of pesto over. Mix until the spaghetti has a slight green sheen to it.

Olive
As above, just substitute persto for a 3:1 mic of butter and olive oil.

Did you make your own pesto, or buy it?

My family has always made its own, but it's a lot of work-- and buying it is really expensive.
Coffyfacemk2
yeah, there's not many students that can afford to live on takeaways every night...

did have a housemate once who spent about 3 months just living on toast because he'd spent all his term's loan skydiving...
heptagon
I highly recommend this book:
"The Student Cook Book: Eating Well Without Microwave, Mixer or Money"
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Student-Cook-Book-Without-Microwave/dp/1855850508
coolclay
I can honestly say I have some of the best home cooked meals while at college, then I have elsewhere. But having a stove, oven, and a kitchen helps a lot.
loryl
How do ya'll have time to cook? Shocked
Dean_The_Great
Grilled cheese is the best for a quick, inexpensive lunch.

1) Spread margarine on two pieces of bread.
2) Put some cheese in the middle (processed slices work well for this (their only use) or if your ambitious (and have little more cash) throw down some sliced cheddar)
3) Put the sandwich into a fry pan (margarine sides out) and watch it sizzle. Flip when brown as desired.
4) Dip in ketchup and eat.

Also, for another quick and slighty more nutricious meal, do up a box of Kraft Mac and Cheese and throw in a can of baked beans. It might make you gassy, but it gives you carbs to get through the day, protein to give you strength, and fibre to make sure your healthy.

And lastly, if you're having trouble staying well nourished at school, invest in a good multi-vitamin. That way you don't have to worry about vitamins, just the other stuff like sugars, fiber, carbs, and protein!
zanzou
coolclay wrote:
I can honestly say I have some of the best home cooked meals while at college, then I have elsewhere. But having a stove, oven, and a kitchen helps a lot.

Really? That's interesting. >_> I hope that my after-college meals are better than MY college meals, though.

loryl wrote:
How do ya'll have time to cook? :shock:

You don't cook, you don't eat. :P
jharsika
natem wrote:
Here are a couple, If you are a vegetarian, you are out of luck because I am not.

Mac and cheese

2 cups generic macaroni
1 tb margarine
1/2 onion diced
2 cups grated cheese
2 tb flour
1 1/2cup milk
1/2 tsp salt
pepper to taste

Boil 3 cups of water, add macaroni, reduce heat and cover
Melt margarine in a sauce pan on medium heat, add onion cook until transparent, add flour, cook for one minute.
add milk stir until flour/ margarine mixture dissolves. Add cheese, stir until cheese melts and mixture thickens. Add salt and pepper.
Drain macaroni, pour into a casserole dish, pour sauce over top.
Add some more grated cheese on top, put in oven at 350 F and cook for 35 minutes.

One really good way to beef up mac and cheese is to add some fried ground beef and spaghetti sauce, meat spaghetti sauce, or meatless spaghetti sauce, OR just add a can of tuna! That way you get cheap meal with protein that doesn't taste bland (if you've been eating mac and cheese for a while)