FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What is the official language of your country

standready
Here in the United States, there is no official national language however english is just considered to be the common. However, the US is a melting pot of cultures.
I bring this up because there is a local uproar here due to a car dealership running spanish language commerials on what are traditionally english speaking television channels. There are spanish language televisions channels in the area. This dealership paid to run the spanish version on the channel.
Does your country have an official national language?
windrei
i am from Hong Kong. The official lamguage is difficult to tell here too. Maybe you just think it's Chinese. But more details should be added in fact. For spokem language, it's English and Cantonese, one of the dialects of Chinese. But for written language, it's English and Traditional Chinese writing. Do you understand what i mean..... Chinese can be written in simplified way and traditional way. The simplified way is used in mainland China only. We do not use it officially.
Idoru
I am from Sweden, and the official language is Swedish. Very Happy

We have a good, or perhaps had, school, so Swedes rightfully have a reputation of beeing good english-speakers.
Immigration also made a lot of other languages more or less common here, but there is only one official, as said is.
tempdbs
Here is an Indian, As all know, India is a country with Diversity.

A small quote of India -

India also called as Bharat, officially the Republic of India is a sovereign country in South Asia.
It is the seventh-largest country by geographical area, the second most populous country, and the most populous democracy in the world. India has a coastline of over 7500 kilometres.

The official nationallanguages is Hindi (हिन्दी) . The Country also recognises in particular 21 other languages that are either abundantly spoken or have classical status.
Zombie
As you said, US doesn't have an "official" language... so I guess my closest answer is English.
otiscom
I'm from the UK and English is our official language.

However there are countries in the UK with their own languages, Wales, Scotland and Ireland.

These are Celtic countries.
rein
We have 3 official languages in Belgium: Dutch, French and German.
The Dutch (north) and French (sourth) part don't quite get along, and there's almost no people who speak only German (east), so they're stuck between the two.
You people with only one official language are lucky. Difference in language is a huge cause of conflict.
eku53ru
I am from the States (like the topic starter), and according to Wikipedia English is the implied official language here. It is quite true, since it is difficult to get around places unless you know a bit of English. The area I live in is pretty diverse, so you might get away with knowing just a smidgen of English (as well as being fluent in another language, such as Spanish).
saratdear
tempdbs wrote:
Here is an Indian, As all know, India is a country with Diversity.

A small quote of India -

India also called as Bharat, officially the Republic of India is a sovereign country in South Asia.
It is the seventh-largest country by geographical area, the second most populous country, and the most populous democracy in the world. India has a coastline of over 7500 kilometres.

The official nationallanguages is Hindi (हिन्दी) . The Country also recognises in particular 21 other languages that are either abundantly spoken or have classical status.

Actually, tempdbs, the way you wrote "Hindi" in Hindi, it reads Hanidi. Razz

Well, I am from India too, and yes, our national language is Hindi.
Aless
English!

Or maybe not...no idea if England has an 'official' language as such, but that's what one would presume Wink.
Molle
I'm from Norway, so the official language here is Norwegen. Hard one, ay? ^^
Bockman
Here in Portugal we speak Portuguese (duuuh Razz )

But I mainly posted here to give a heads up for all Americans.

Since 6th June 2007 voting, I guess you will now have an official language (guess which Razz )

http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=110&session=1&vote=00198

(I should have spotted this topic earlier, as this was one of the curiosities I followed up on at that time.)

Be Well Cool
Kamo
Well here in Poland there is only one language - Polish often described as one of the hardest to learn..don't know why Razz
krazy
I'm from the UK, we speak English, although it's not 'official' people come from all over the world to the UK meaning all different languages will be spoke.
Hunterseaker
I'm from the Netherlands, Dutch is our official language. We also have another 2nd official language that is called "Fries" Fries is a language spoken by people in the province "Friesland". There are also a lot of people who want to add English as a 3rd official language.
unknownc1c
wow lots of interesting official languages. To be honest i just assumed united states official language was like american or english. Maybe like bad english Razz but now i know something new haha.
Sarcas
Dutch yeah, but it's starting to feel more like english nowadays
paul_indo
The official language is Indonesian but there are over 100 local languages, not dialects but actual languages.

Most Indonesians speak at least their local language and Indonesian many speak 3 or 4 languages or more.
Shewolf
Molle wrote:
I'm from Norway, so the official language here is Norwegen. Hard one, ay? ^^

Well, actually we got two different writing languages, and Sami (the languagu of the Lap population) and Finnish as well; as official languages Smile
Plain Norwegian is the most common one, though.
BLAK
I am from Poland and our official language is Polish obviously, but I live in United Kingdom so I have to speak engliish. Wink
c ya
Pkshields
I live in Ireland, so its English here too. Seems so boring compared to the other languages here Smile
watersoul
English is the main language here in the UK, but nearly all government forms & leaflets have foreign versions available now (bengali, punjabi, urddu etc etc) to reflect the huge number of different communities now living here.
In Wales (a component of the UK as Scotland, N.Ireland & England are) the welsh language (Cymraeg) has equal legal status now, with welsh media,roadsigns bilingual, being taught in schools up to age 16, and the right to deal with all arms of the state in welsh instead of english, including law courts.
Its a bit of a mix match with the law though because although you have the right to be tried and defended in the welsh language, no law was passed requiring judges or juries to be welsh speakers so translators are usually needed. This makes it a waste of time really when every welsh speaker can speak english, which lets face it, is the language of the world now.
fredrikjruud
The official language of my country is Norwegian.
mjohnson
I am in China,of cause Chinese is official language.but English is very popular in our country now.Maybe when 2008 come,english will be another official language in China.all you foreign people welcome to China2008.
ninjakannon
standready wrote:
Here in the United States, there is no official national language however english is just considered to be the common. However, the US is a melting pot of cultures.
I bring this up because there is a local uproar here due to a car dealership running spanish language commerials on what are traditionally english speaking television channels. There are spanish language televisions channels in the area. This dealership paid to run the spanish version on the channel.
Does your country have an official national language?

For a start, I don't know why they would want to pay for an advert that wasn't going to be intelligible to the majority of people hearing it (or is it, actually?).

Secondly, while you may be right that there is no 'official' language in the United States I think English is as official as it gets there. For example: national newspapers, television, films, media, music and a whole host of things there are typically done in English with few exceptions. And the majority of people speak it! But yes, it is very much a multicultural, multilingual society.

I'm in the UK and obviously we speak English here as a rule. But, just like the US, the society over here is extremely multicultural and multilingual with immigrants, and just people who have come to stay here, from all over the world.

It might be interesting to give a list of countries and their 'official languages' in your first post, standready. Then we could all learn something about some of the less well-known country's languages.
Keran
Here in Poland the official language is Polish... There might be also some German additions in the northern parts, since there are lots of German tourists there.
Lukero
I live in Singapore and the official language here is Malay, although most people speak English and don't even know how to speak Malay.
I'm from China though and the official language there is of course, chinese
Amnaft
English, Very Happy
Fake
I would say English in australia.
DSGamer3002
US, English. But, considering I live in CA, soon the primary language will be Spanish. >_>
rappn
Here in Sweden, it is Swedish!?!? Laughing Laughing
It it unbelievable, right!?

Over and out!
Över och ut!
CMA
I'm from Portugal, so... Portuguese Rolling Eyes
Though the way I see it, Portugal is slowly becoming a melting pot too... so who knows?
vineeth
Hindi is the official language of India as recognized by the Govt. of India. But in India, we speak the following languages in various parts of the country.

1. HINDI
2. ENGLISH
3. ANGIKA
4. AWADHI
5. BAGHELKHANDI
6. BENGALI
7. BHOJPURI
8. MANIPURI
9. BUNDELKHANDI
10. CHHATTISGARHI
11. GUJARATI
12. KANNADA
13. KASHMIRI
14. KONKANI
15. MAITHILI
16. MALAYALAM
17. MARATHI
18. MARWARI
19. NEPALI
20. ORIYA
21. PUNJABI
22. RAJASTHANI
23. SINHALA
24. TAMIL
25. TELUGU
26. URDU

Can your country beat this ???
ninjakannon
kaye25 wrote:
English and Tagalog.... Smile

And what country is that...?

I've never heard of Tagalog before, or at least I don't think I have, and so I'd like to know where it's spoken!
russel26
so many language here in my country... but one popular is tagalog.. and english is require for learn to how communicate to other country..
304esque
vineeth wrote:
Hindi is the official language of India as recognized by the Govt. of India. But in India, we speak the following languages in various parts of the country.

1. HINDI
2. ENGLISH
24. TAMIL
25. TELUGU
26. URDU

Can your country beat this ???

Lol i'm afraid I can only half that XD I cant remember all the native aboriginal languages in malaysia tho Razz and the chinese also have a bunch of dialects.

In malaysia, the official language is Malay, although a lot of companies use english, for multinational purposes (becausee we all know international things are run in english because the westerners once conquered the rest of the world when they found out there's more land past their backyard. First World War tells much about what is the "world" to them)
304esque
ninjakannon wrote:
kaye25 wrote:

I've never heard of Tagalog before, or at least I don't think I have, and so I'd like to know where it's spoken!

tagalog is the native language in thailand if i'm not mistaken ^_^
ninjakannon
304esque wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
kaye25 wrote:

Heh, I initially said that to try and get kaye25 to be a little more explanitory and take part in the board community more. As you've replied I thought I'd use Google to find out, apparently it's the native language of the Philippines according to multiple websites.
304esque
ninjakannon wrote:
304esque wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
kaye25 wrote:

Heh, I initially said that to try and get kaye25 to be a little more explanitory and take part in the board community more. As you've replied I thought I'd use Google to find out, apparently it's the native language of the Philippines according to multiple websites.

oops haha XD

sorry XD i keep forgetting that thailand's is just Thai?
sorry about that Razz
ninjakannon
304esque wrote:
oops haha XD

sorry XD i keep forgetting that thailand's is just Thai?
sorry about that Razz

Yeah it is Thai, just checked Wikipedia.

No problem, just lucky I checked; we all make mistakes don't we. Wink
rafael2112
In brazil,Largest country that speaks Portuguese(180 Millions of people)

Has not dialects!
bri4n5
In Cuba, Spanish or Español Smile
dinael
Croatian is official language in my country. So I probably live in Croatia. Right? Shocked
bostko
In Bulgaria the official language is Bulgarian, although recently we use many English words. I thing soon every languages will transform into English.
Chiperiu
Given that I live in Romania (hey, neighbour!), my official language is Romanian, even if we use something similar to Romglish in most environments. Scary, but bostko's got a point there; I've noticed a lot of Americanisms around the UK, so that seems to be the trend nowadays.
skygaia
Here in Canada, official language is English and French. But I was told that only 20~30% canadian could say both language... over 65% canadian could say only English.
crystalami
I'm from Canada, so the official languages are English and French.(That's why I'm forced to take french everyday Mad )
MadeinIndia
India has 22 official Languages. Being a huge and diversified country, you can find so many languages co-existing peacefully in this wonder called India. You might be wondering how people from one state converse with people from other states. Well, we have some common languages like Hindi and English and of course, the greatest language of all time, the sign language! hehe!

If you know just Hindi or English, it might be tough for you in some interior parts of India but there are 99% chances of you finding someone who will know English so that's not a bad thing.

Here are the 22 official languages of India

1. Assamesse
2. Bengali
3. Bodo
4. Dogri
5. Gujrati
6. Hindi
7. Kannada
8. Kashmiri
9. Konkani
10. Maithili
11. Malayalam
12. Manipuri
13. Marathi
14. Nepali
15. Oriya
16. Punjabi
17. Sanskrit
18. Santhali
19. Sindhi
20. Tamil
21.Telugu
22. Urdu

Whoa! We had a prime minister The late P.V.Narasimha Rao, who was fluent in 16 languages including some world languages!
Helios
The official languages in Israel are Hebrew and Arabic.
Another language which is spoken by a lot of people, especially in the middle part of the country, is English.
mbloo
Well it depends, I live in the USA and its english but I go to a all jewish school so we either speak russian, hebrew, or yiddish! Very Happy
ddoonie
Canadian woohooo... EH!
ForceRun
We have a lot of members from all around the world on these forum, makes you wonder some times. Here is the USA everyone speaks english, with a small number of hold outs. It would be nice to get a handle on all the world languages and make them into one languge. But I guess that would kill culture and all the translators would be out of work, but it would make things a lot easier.
Blaster
Well in the states we are learning more and more languages it seems like. You can learn just about any language. I have friends that speak Russian and friends that speak Chinese. Others that speak Spanish. This is all as there mother tounge.

So if you want a full list then here

Spanish
French
English
Chinese
Russian
Italian
Japaneses

But the main ones are Spanish, French, and Chinese (China Town Smile
haituan
My homeland is Vietnam. So the major language is vietnamese. Has anyone ever heard 'bout it?
burotrend2
Of course we know vietnamese , here in France , with french speking people Wink

An the french are known as people with serious difficulites with other languages ...

In fact I am working in Luxemburg and there we speak luxemburgish , french , german and english

Do you know Luxemburg ??
burotrend2
@forcerun and the wish of a "global" language , few years ago some poeple created the esperanto but it was not really successful..
snigna
bostko wrote:
In Bulgaria the official language is Bulgarian, although recently we use many English words. I thing soon every languages will transform into English.

Yes, the official language is Bulgarian. But I don't think that English will assimilate all other languages. There may be some words that we take, for example Computer, Telephone and all of those technical stuff, but every language is unique. Bulgarian, for example, sounds very melodic and it's quite easy to learn. A lot easier than German, which I'm now learning.
devotchka
rafael2112 wrote:
In brazil,Largest country that speaks Portuguese(180 Millions of people)

Has not dialects!

Portuguese language has always consisted of a wide variety of dialects, especially in Brazil. Mostly in phonology and lexical differences.
Kitten Kong
Here in the wonderful land of Oz the official language is the queens English. Of course due to TV and movies it is corrupted by poor american spelling quite often. Also there are lots of other cool languages getting around as until the evil John Howard started drowning all the immigrants we were very nice about taking in refugees.
bulek
Here is Slovenia (not Slovakia!), the official language is Slovenian. And since most of you have now idea where this is, here are two links with some information about Slovenia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slovenia
http://www.slovenia.info/en/About-Slovenia.htm?o_sloveniji=0&lng=2
cafein
I m From Turkey and Official Language is Turkish Here..
But almost all the shop name s are English! weird
JustCarol
I'm from Brazil, we speak portuguese here.
But our portuguese is quite different from portugal's and other countries that speak the same language... it's weird. The fact that we are the only south american nation that don't speak spanish sounds weird for me either.

Most of the country speaks only portuguese but english speakers are growing a little bit in the past few years... if you know how to speak english in Brazil, your chances to get a good job increase, for example. In many jobs, speaking english fluently is essencial, which is kind of frustrating since, as I said before, most of the population doesn't speak english.

And know, as many think we don't grow up learning spanish as a second language, most of us grow up without hearing a single word in that language!
raine dragon
The closest thing would be 'American English'. (not to be confused with the Queen's English, as most people here in the united states would say a jumper is a play dress for a little girl. ^_^; )
HamsterMan
Finnish, and all I speak is swedish and english.
nilsmo
No official language in the US. I've lived in Sweden (official language: Swedish) and Colombia (official language: Spanish).
endless
Hunterseaker wrote:
I'm from the Netherlands, Dutch is our official language. We also have another 2nd official language that is called "Fries" Fries is a language spoken by people in the province "Friesland". There are also a lot of people who want to add English as a 3rd official language.

don't forget turkish Razz many people speak it in the netherlands ^^ and i can talk fries Smile
vinx_18
I am a Filipino from the Philippines. I can write and speak three languages namely: English, Filipino or Tagalog, Cebuano or Visayan. Currently, I'm learning Mandarin Chinese. But, I speak my native language "Cebuano" everyday.

Philippines has 180 languages and dialects that are spoken in the archipelago. It is because we are colonized and are migrated by so many nationalities. Our major languages are: Tagalog, Cebuano, Ilocano, Hiligaynon, Waray-Waray, Kapampangan, Bikol, Pangasinan. Kinaray-a, Maranao, Maguindanao and Tausug. These are spoken by 1 million or more people. In order to communicate or speak to other people, we have Filipino as our standard language which is a version of Tagalog that are most spoken by Metro Manila and other parts of Luzon people.

Though are street signs, education, churches, religious affairs, print and broadcast media, and business are in English. Other Filipinos can also write and speak Arabic, Chinese, Spanish and other languages.

We are mixed, multinational, multilingual, multicultural country. Though our official languages are Filipino, which is based on Tagalog, and English.
bostko
I'm from Bulgaria. Official language here is Bulgarian.
BPrice
I am from Cornwall, England so the official language spoken is english but some do still speak in the cornish language
titansmlb102
I live in Pennsylvania, yet, in a part where there are a LOT of Mexican immigrants. So English and spanish.
gr8inferno
In US mainly English, secondary - Spanish, then pigmys
skygaia
I'm from south korea. official language in my country is korean.
Many people want to speak english very well... and have invest their lots of time on learning english... But there are not many people who can speak english.... Crying or Very sad
And many companies want candiates to have great english skill.. so Toefl and Toeic are very popular english test here.....
But.. some of them, even though they took great score of Toeic or Toefl, can't speak english at all. I think "test is just a test"
apple
we speak english (it's supposed to be the queens english Rolling Eyes )

our 2nd is spanish, which I don't know heads from tails. I guess spanish cause we're really close to venezuela.
mraek
I'm originally from Scotland, where the official language is English but most people speak 'Scots'. That's basically the same as English but spoken with a funny accent Smile
Very few people speak Scots Gaelic any more, but that's not the original language of Scotland anyway, Gaelic was introduced from Ireland in about 600 AD.
PatTheGreat42
If they're broadcasting Spanish-language commercials on channels normally used for English, are they broadcasting English-language commercials on the channels normally used in Spanish?
skbkrishantha
our contry sri lanka. in hear official languages are sinhal and tamile earlier official language is sinhala before that official language is English only.
zeitgeistsa
I live in South Africa, and would you believe it -We have 11 Official Languages!!!
In business however the language is English and secondly Afrikaans.

Our nation tries to be very politically correct, thus making almost all of the languages official - a bit silly isn't it!?
emem
Slovenia - Slovenian Smile
salman_500
Pakistan :: Urdu !

i can never score an "A" in my urdu exams !!! lol !
thebattler36
otiscom wrote:
I'm from the UK and English is our official language.

However there are countries in the UK with their own languages, Wales, Scotland and Ireland.

These are Celtic countries.

I am from Scotland, we are not entirely Celtic, Ireland is celtic yes Wales is not.

in Scotland many people in the highlands (north of scotland) speak gaelic, which is why there is a lot of signs there that are in gaelic AND english, the UK national language is English.
marcoabf
Here in Brazil the official language is Portuguese, but when we hear someone from Portugal speaking we don't understand very well. Our Portuguese is different. We have a special accent and some words have other meaning.
Aless
English!

I'm in England. It's very different from what we speak in America Very Happy.
achowles
Well, I'm from England. Can you guess what the official language is here? Can you? Go on, I'll give you three guesses.

=p
ankitdatashn
Hindi it is. I am from India which has a rich cultural history of It's own.

But I believe that the world is moving towards a common language and that is English. If robots will dominate us in future then I guess binary will be our future language...