FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How do I learn English better?

sultan_emerr
What are some good methods and ways for a Japanese student to study and learn written and spoken English, with emphasis on composition, in order to prepare for English Language exams in four months, to be able to enter a top rated Japanese High School?
Thank you in advance for your help.
Idoru
Anything that makes you think in English is recomended. Read books, watch movies, chat on the net, speak it, etc.
Doing enough of that should make you think aswell as dream in english, and your exams should soon be over.
otiscom
Find some English friends, talking with them will improve your conversational skills and they will help you with your writing.
jipmerite
I agree, the best way to learn English is to speak it. I have seen a friend vastly improve his English solely by speaking in English to me and a few other people. Granted you won't be fluent at first and will make mistakes. You need some English speaking friends who are supportive. explain to them why you want to speak in English and ask them to correct your mistakes.

Also, try to think in English. I read long ago that different people think in different ways. Some think in pictures and some think in words.... Personally I think in Language and even though English is my second language I think in English. It's not something I do consciously but maybe you can try to do it consciously. That way you will be getting constant practice in forming sentences etc.

Also, as the others said, seeing English movies, chatting in English etc will also help.
Davidgr1200
The best way to learn any language is to go to that country and live there for a while. You should also cut yourself off from your native language so that you MUST use the new language. If you can't do that the next best way is to try and immerse yourself in the language. For example, read an English newspaper every day on the net (e.g. http://www.independent.co.uk/c/), read English books, watch Englsig TV programs/films without subtitles. Listen to English radio stations via the net. You won't understand everything at first but your understanding will improve quite quickly.

Good luck!
Teddy1
Yes i agree with the people who have posted here already. Make some friends who are supportive towards you and are willing to correct your mistakes. Soon as my computer is up and running i will help you with Enlgish if you wish. I don't mind i have many friends from different countries who like me to correct their mistakes. I actually helped someone from netherlands who kept making minor mistakes like saying bussy for busy. Just simple things like that. Each languages grammar is different that can also be hard to grasp. Friends who will support you when speaking/writing English is one of the best ways to learn. This is just my opinion, bare that in mind. PM me if you wish for my help i will try to reply as soon as possible as i am left without a computer at this current moment in time.

Regards, Good luck Smile
babumuchhala
The answer is simple, Read Newspaper and Speak in English. Newspapers will definately improver ypur vocabulary and speaking will induce confidence in you to use the language.

As for English conversations are concerned you will have to take the initiative because its what you want to learn and not just ask your friends to speak with you in English as they will not take the initiative as they don't need to.
skypecastq
A lot of people use skype to learn english. There are groups of native speakers dicsussing and debating issues and a number of people who are learning who just sit and listen. I really recommend it. In fact, i want my site with frihost, to promote and suppert a skypecast which is in the pipeline for gay lesbian and bisexual people, giving advice, debate and chat called skypecastq. Look out for it!
ftv_flung
You can learn English by using Second Life - join Second Life, get a free account and head over the SLENGLISH!

http://www.secondlifeenglish.com/news.php
fredrikjruud
You can learn English, while you read or write on this forum!
Kaisonic
I would say, firstly: STAY AWAY FROM LEARNING ENGLISH ON THE INTERNET THROUGH FORUMS OR CHAT ROOMS. More often than not, people aren't using proper English anyway, so trying to learn things from other's posts or in a chat room is not the best way to go. I cringe just thinking of someone actually trying to learn the English language after I read the way a lot of people speak on the Internet.
mjohnson
Um,Japanese always have difficult to learning English like other Asian people.But I think now your English is not so bad because you can express yourself clearly here.make effort and you will succeed
tidruG
Your post in this thread was certainly very good English. Perhaps your vocabulary is weak, but your grammar is just fine, in my opinion, sultan_emerr. How much better should your english be in order to get into a good university?
Hunterseaker
I Agree with most others, study some time in a country where English is the official language is a good way to learn it. Furthermore you can read a lot of English books, you will improve your vocabulary just be reading new words etc. Also by reading you will automatically learn how to compose sentences and how to use grammar.
Tho the best way to learn English is just to study in England for some time, you will be amazed how soon you learn the language.
missdixy
read read read!
also, watch English TV shows, listen to English music, basically surround yourself by the language. Very Happy
Indyan
I would say read books. Watch quality English news channels with good readers (helps with diction).
Dean_The_Great
For speaking, I would get some english speaking friends... ask them questions, people will love to help!

Also, try reading a book and listening to an audio (CD) version of the book at the same time. This will help with listening to english spoken at a decent speed.
sultan_emerr
I wish to thank everyone who participated in this discussion.
Every contribution, no matter how humble, is acknowledged,
and I appreciate everyone's help in this matter.
imera
I have one thing to say that people seem to forget, there are mostly two different English types that is used in the world, American English and British English. Decide for one of them and don't forget to use that grammar.

I think all my English teachers used different types because I had so many faults. One year ago I decided to type in American English, but changed my mind four months later, so now I try my best for the British English

And do what all the people in front of me said, read, watch and speak
frozenhead
Oh well, get online help (Google) as much as you can to improve your English language. Anything.. Books, CD Tutorials etc. that can teach you are all recommended. Wink
WebKitten
best thing in any language is to learn to think in it.
Anything you think in your mother language, you try to think in the language you would like to learn.
The rest will follow. This way you will understand whis areas you should improve and will get the right lessons for them.
bostko
I also want to learn English although my exam is next year. I would be happy if some body contact with me on skype. Besides I'd love to chat with some person who is from other country. Call me Smile[/url]
kiranaghor
IF u have access to english tv channels then watch serials like FRIENDS or seinfeld. You will know day to day english usage. Also u can try reading TOEFL or IELTS exam books. They will help imeensely.
theem
if you really want to learn this language you should speak it.. as much as you can !! Arrow

use google translator to convert the sentences !!
thats what i do with Japanese Idea Very Happy
Amnaft
theem wrote:
if you really want to learn this language you should speak it.. as much as you can !! Arrow

This is the only part of the previous post I agree with Razz

Practice, obviously. Talk in English as much as possible, whether it be to yourself or anyone else. Just remember; Practice makes perfect Razz
desertwind
Always think in english, when you plan to speak in english. Don't try to think in your mother tounge and translate it.

Watching/listening/reading english is also a good idea.
biljap
Find people who know English and talk with them or find some pen pals. It is important that you speak with people who can recognize and correct your mistake. Maybe it would be also good idea that you write some texts and go to a good professor to check it and to talk with him. Buy a book with listening exercises. Don’t learn alone because if you get used to use something from grammar wrong you will have difficulties to correct it.
divinitywolf
Yes definitely get some english friends that you're around A LOT. IF you're constantly around people who're talking english tehn you'll quickly pick it up.
PennyLane
Where I study we also had to get our English up to a high level in a very short time. A very good method is listening to BBC4 (this is available on the internet). Or any other radio programme. I know watching tv is easier these days, but when you're not a native English speaker, listening to the radio is more relax (well, at least that's my opinion Smile).
Something I also do is wathching movies in English with English subtitles. So you can follow everything Smile and after a while you don't need the subtitles anymore.
As some persons on this forum already said, don't think you can learn a lot of English vocabulary on internet chats. Most of the time some kind of abbreviations are used. That's why you can better read some English books. Hope this all will help you a lot!!
jmlworld
sultan_emerr wrote:
What are some good methods and ways for a Japanese student to study and learn written and spoken English, with emphasis on composition, in order to prepare for English Language exams in four months, to be able to enter a top rated Japanese High School?

You can learn English by attending English Private Schools, reading books, talking to online Community (Like Frihost Discussion Forums, and Paltalk Chat, etc), talking to friends in English.

By the way, watching daily Hollywood movies play a great, great role in learning English, also facilities including English speaking TVs and English websites help you bring your best in English.

THough grammer rules are important in English, there lots of foreign ppl, who don't know grammer, but speak in English. I think thats because of watching movies, etc...
mtorregiani
Yeah, as said before, you shouldn't go to Chat Rooms. Cat pictures are not recommended either. Awful grammar there.
rappn
I learned my english by watching movies (reading the subtitles and there from learning words), reading books and just play english games, like when i was younger i played runescape xD
SpellcasterDX
Oddly enough, I learned to speak English by watching TV; mainly cartoons of course cause I was young. Heh. Hard to believe, but that's what my mom tells me.
evilryu530
listen to a lot of english music. watch american tv a lot. depends on what you want to learn. the urbanized version of the english language? or somthing else? tons of books out there to learn. tons of books to read also. get a tutor and you will learn really fast. Razz
iamarun
Hey,

After reading your post i can say that you are good enough in writing in English. I am not sure how is your spoken english. I have few friends from south korea who come to indian to learn english. They learn very good english with very good vocabulary and grammar etc.. etc..

The main problem is pronounciation they have learn lot of english but 'cas of the imporper pronounciation other could not understand what they say.

One of my korean friend use to listen to the english tapes, not the tapes that teaches english, but the tapes which has some business teaching or something like that. After few months he improved a lot in his pronounciation. Even though he has less knowledge in English we could understand what he means.

I guess you understand what i am trying to say.

I personally have learnt english by watching English movies.
drdrift
Let me tell you how i learned english myself.
I liked movies and songs and it was the best thing to learn english the easy way.
First start with slow songs which you are interested with.
Movies with subtitles is againn best thing to learn english.
Best of luck to you to learn english.
Bluedoll
Anything that grabs your attention would be good. Are you using a translator? You can try correspondance like a pen pal maybe or chat, although that is sometimes not the best english. Pick a good person to talk to where your interests can be shared!

You have something to give!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jcnet
English learning is really essential..
There are lots of things to help you learn english..
Watch English movies that uses more english words.. Try watching movies for kids...because it includes english that are easy to understand....gradually go up and watch movies that contain some hard words....
Or..
you can read daily newspapers...
or
surf the net.... FORUMS helps you to learn better....

try these......you'll surely excell in english.. Wink
CMA
Well, your written English seems to be just fine, so don't worry there.
As for spoken English, as most people here already mentioned, you should find someone who can speak English fluently and try your best to speak with him/her. Accent can be a little bit of a problem, though, so you should just do your best to get used to it and try using it as well. English is my second language too, and I don't think I have many issues with my writing, but the accent is a killer...

One thing that could also help is working on your listening comprehension. A way of doing this is watching movies in English without any subtitles. If you can get some DVDs, you can easily remove the subtitles from the movies... or if you want a challenge, leave the subtitles on, but in a language you can't understand. Subtitles can be distracting, as most people will automatically try to read them to understand a little better what's being said. If you can't read the subtitles, you'll gradually train yourself to ignore them and focus on listening.
russel26
go to the bookstore and buy a dictionaries, watch english movie,read a news paper.... Wink
304esque
good luck on the exam! I hear that japanese education system are really quite rigorous *_*

I would love to help you, but even though my english is pretty good, I tend to speak with asian slangs with asians, and I totally stutter when talking to native speakers XD
I'd so help you if I could practice speaking japanese with you though :3
faund
I have same question.

I think to read post in frihost have did big progress to me in read and wirte english. but it's difficult to make my spoken english progress for lack of language environment.
skygaia
Oh... it's really difficult question, I think
I'm from korea. So I know how difficult to learn english for Japanese and Korean. Because there are totally different word order between English and Japanese. word order of japanese is very similar to Korean. in my experience it's little bit easier to learn Japanese for koren than English.
I think you'd better expouse yourself in english environment. I mean.. you'd better get a chance to speak to english people and listen english mass media....
destiny
Whats up! lol..To begin with i am a chinese Singaporean.Well learning learning English could be so completely easy compared to other languages.This is a fact because i live in a mulit-racial society and seeing others learn Tamil or something else close could have easily killed me. Basically, you should not ever stop interacting with English. Judging be the immense number of replies you have already received, you should already have a rough idea as to what i am saying. Never procrastinate when it comes to memorising complicated vocabularies, good phrases,etc. Communicating fluently in English will ultimately help you to be coherent in your writing. Never give up or say die. Last but not least, do NOT neglect your own mother tongue. Well for instance, i have grown so accustomed to English, i no longer find myself relying that much on Mandarin anymore. Due to the neglegence, my writing skills for mother tongue suffered. All the best.
destiny
Whats up! lol..To begin with i am a chinese Singaporean.Well learning learning English could be so completely easy compared to other languages.This is a fact because i live in a mulit-racial society and seeing others learn Tamil or something else close could have easily killed me. Basically, you should not ever stop interacting with English. Judging be the immense number of replies you have already received, you should already have a rough idea as to what i am saying. Never procrastinate when it comes to memorising complicated vocabularies, good phrases,etc. Communicating fluently in English will ultimately help you to be coherent in your writing. Never give up or say die. Last but not least, do NOT neglect your own mother tongue. Well for instance, i have grown so accustomed to English, i no longer find myself relying that much on Mandarin anymore. Due to the neglegence, my writing skills for mother tongue suffered. All the best.
mimsxmassacre
I think it would be best to learn latin first

Latin derives from most english roots

Plus, it's easier to learn latin
Very Happy
jcvincent75
Try watching english films and tv shows. Also try to read books that are written in english. It will help you a lot. By reading, you will learn the right grammar. By watching english movies and tv shows, it will help you with your diction and pronunciation.

Also try to join forums like this one. You will improve your english skills by talking to other people using the language.

I hope this helps.

Cheers!
wolverine
I also want to learn English, if u have any idea pls tell me.... Laughing

my blog http://sachin-portfolio.blogspot.com/
crabfish
I now this sounds silly, but you could take a look at English for Dummies. My Spanish-speaking wife used it and it helped her. It's an enjoyable read and has some interesting ways to teach you the ins and outs of English.

English is difficult! And the way it is spoken changes every year!

Confused
Insanity
If you want to learn about written English and how to write and read it better, start looking through novels. They're fun to read most of the time and can easily help you get a grip on the nuances of the language. It's how I spent most of my childhood (before computers) and I managed to learn it pretty well. Also, it helps if you speak to other English-speaking friends. It's necessary if you want to learn to speak it well.
I think rosetta@stone may have some language learning, it has good references on internet. You can propably download it from Pirateb. or be silly and buy it for a few monthpayments. Enjoy my tip!
torboxz
SpellcasterDX wrote:
Oddly enough, I learned to speak English by watching TV; mainly cartoons of course cause I was young. Heh. Hard to believe, but that's what my mom tells me.

Yeah, me too. i live in Malaysia and i like cartoons. Luckily, i live in johor, most southern state, north of Singapore. when is was a kid, i watch cartoons from Singapore's channel, broadcast by SBC 5 (Singapore broadcasting channel 5) aka Media corp TV channel 5 today.

At first, i just mimic whatever the cartoon character said without knowing what it means (I like to watch, so it doesn't matter what they say, you can understand some the cartoon's story by just watching, cartoon's for kids, OK) The best part was i went to my English class at school and i discover the meaning of those words (i remembered it phonetically). It's fun! And that's how i learn my English when i was a kid.

As of today, i read a lot of English books to enrich my vocabularies and grammars. 1 of my fave book is 'XPD'. The only books I read three times. I don't remember the author as i lost it on my camping trip (for the fourth). Sorry! For pronunciation, i watch movies, english movies and with some help from Google 'define:'. It'll correct you when you spell it wrong. Nice!
KronikSindrome
talk talk talk and watch american tv. you'll figure it out real quick.
Though to make sure your vocabulary is not stunted by mediocrity
and rather braught to badd ass status -- I would suggest watching
only:

reruns of!!!:::

the original star trek. :::::::; Captain James T. Kirk
will teach you everything you need to know about talkin'
pimp Sh*t. Also how to be a super cool manly sess symbol.

Baywatch :::::::::::; You'll learn all about american words of compassion,
because after all nothing says humanitarian like running oiled up
and half naked down a beautiful west coast beach to dive like a
magical mermaid into crystal clear. non-poluted, stage 8 water
screaming "nooo! damn it! I'll die before I let you drown!",
in order to save a the precious life of an ex drug dealing stripper.
(who of course happens to be wearing and equaly form flattering ensemble)

and of course! -drum roll please-

Full House ::::::: Where the better qualities of the Family Value inspired 'banter'
will be displayed in fine example. All kinds of adorable phrases and PG rated
sarcasim can be learned from this gem of a show. And if nothing else you'll
be able to participate in some "Olsen Twin Gossip" which us English speaking
people luf so much.

Okay well at least english speaking americans...
Those other countries...like england and australia,
well they have their own dialect and everyone knows
that everyone else only wants to learn the 'bastard version'
us yankee wankers created. psshh.

Okay now I would feel really bad about my advice if
I thought anything i said was halfway comprehensible
by anyone here who acrually speaks english well let alone
by someone who does not....

so yes..I said..: Yer gun hafta pratis sum mer I spose.
Wink
cshs
One of the tricks I used learning other languages - that can only be used in conjunction with actually learning vocab - was to watch english language films without the subtitles to understand the intonation - from this I knew if things "sounded" right or wrong.
winmark
Forget grammer for a while. Just read, listen and speak english.
Spend one full month watching english movies with sub titles, listening to english songs and reading english books. Even if you are not able to understand a single word, don't loose heart. With the passage of time, first your ears and then your mind will start to get familiar with english language and once your mind starts thinking in english, it's only a matter of time before you'd be speaking english fluently.
guissmo
Bring along a dictionary. Then whenever you hear something you don't understand, look for it.

mtorregiani wrote:
Yeah, as said before, you shouldn't go to Chat Rooms. Cat pictures are not recommended either. Awful grammar there.

Oh. This is good advice too. Smile)
ptfrances
On this forum of course... Very Happy
chyron_8472
My experience in having friends who are from Japan has taught me that the best way to learn spoken English is to surround yourself with friends who speak it fluently. I would bet that the best way to learn to read and write English is to read more novels which are written in English.

Keep in mind, though, that not every person who speaks English can use proper grammar, and there are a number of books on the market in which the author neglects to punctuate properly.

...Also 1t d03sn7 h3lp 4 u or ne1 u no 2 u$e l33tsp34k @l0t.
Donutey
Talk, read, and write it as much as possible. Immersion into a language is crucial to learning. I would, however, suggest that you stay away from any media that is not "correct" English, such as IM conversations, texting, and any media with strong regional dialects which may not follow "normal" English grammar and spelling rules.
chi0
sultan_emerr wrote:

You say you want to enter a top high school - does that mean you're a junior high school student? If so, your English is amazing! (I'm an English teacher at a Japanese high school.) Are you talking about the STEP test? Which level will you take?

Some good methods for learning English:
1) Read news articles in English online (or read English newspapers). Look up all the words you don't know and put them on flashcards so you learn them.
2) Translate Japanese magazine and newspaper articles into English. You can put them online for people to check. Or you can translate the other way around, too.
3) Watching movies is a good idea, and listening to English music.
4) Speaking with English-speakers, as people have said before.
5) Talk to your English teacher. Do you have an ALT at your school? I gave some of my students my phone number, and now they call me, or email me, to chat all the time, which is improving their English a lot.

Good luck!
Meez
Hi!
Watching movies with the subtitiles is a perfect way to learn English.
You can easily find a huge amount of subtitles at http://subtitlesbank.com
chatrack
Hi,
I think there are coursers for english. Talking with english native language speakers
will also help to learn english
likeabreeze
Post on Frihost!
Learn English, and get points at the same time!
But, you'd better read some English textbooks if your purpose is to pass English exams!
Because people here don't pay much attention to the grammar or the spelling of words.
But posting on Frihost is really worth a try if you just want to communicate in English.
You know, English exams are more than just a language, even some native English-speakers can't do well in some English tests, so, in order to pass exams, you should practice, practice and practice.
Good Luck!
spinout
watch good tv series with english subtitles... you then both have eyes n ears to learn with!