FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Eagles

40dush
My uncle has one. Very beautiful. Have you ever seen a real eagle?
jipmerite
Yeah one of my friends had one. He didn't treat it very well. Kept it out in the rain and shit. Made me sad. But the bird was so big I could not imagine owning it myself.

Bottom line, eagles are beautiful creatures. I am not against keeping pets but eagles being so endangered, maybe they are better off in the wild.
GSIS
jipmerite wrote:

Bottom line, eagles are beautiful creatures. I am not against keeping pets but eagles being so endangered, maybe they are better off in the wild.

Any wild animal is better off in the wild unless it has genetic problems which might further endanger the species, or is recovering from an illness or injury that will make it temporarily vulnerable.

I think wild animals should only kept under licence and have frequent inspections by an animal welfare organisation or zoo. In addition, any in suitable condition should be used in breeding programs to increase their numbers.
Sipe
I have seen an real eagle, only once. I was with my family in Norway on holiday. There we saw the eagle. It was black, but the head and neck was white. But it was beautiful.. Really it was.

And it was totally free, living in nature. Smile
Peterssidan
GSIS, isn't all animals wild as long as they are in the nature without any humans around? a tame eagle is not a wild eagle as long as it is held as a pet. But I understand what you mean I guess.

I don't know anyone that owns a eagle but I have seen wild eagle a few times. I have actually seen a eagle that was hunted by a magpie. I think it was defending it's nest or something but it was fun to se a much smaller bird chase an eagle. Very Happy
hilariouslicorice
Yes! They are beautiful! Though I'm amused that Ben Franklin supported the turkey becoming our national bird, I'm pretty happy with the eagle having won that contest! Laughing
roboguyspacedude
Yes I have seen real eagles in the wild and in the zoo. My uncle and grandad love eagles and have statues of them.
rainmaker
Aren't there regulations on keeping eagles as pets? Doesn't someone need a permit to do so? I thought that because they were so endangered, this would probably be the case. Our neighbors have eagles living in one of their trees and must follow certain guidelines set forth by the DNR. I guess these may vary by state, though.

--rainmaker
ocalhoun
40dush wrote:
My uncle has one. Very beautiful. Have you ever seen a real eagle?

I've seen real ones in the wild, but unless you are working with a zoo or a nature conservancy project, it is illegal to keep eagles (or most other birds of prey) in captivity, at least in the USA...
scrub
I haven't seen an eagle yet...well, maybe in a zoo, but I wouldn't consider that a "real" eagle...it would be like going to a prison and thinking you've seen what normal humans are and act like.

I've just started watching birds recently, so I hope at some point I do see an eagle! It always excites me to spot birds of prey, since they're so rare. As far as I can tell, I've only seen hawks so far...they're reasonably common in my area. I'm not sure how many eagles live around here or how likely I am to see one in the city!

Scrub
nivre
here in the philippines we have one of the biggest eagles in the whole planet...our philippine eagle is one of the rarest, largest and most powerful birds of prey...it has a wing span up to 7 ft...i have seen it manny time in the eagle farm in davao city...beautiful creatures eagle really is....