FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Airlines -- arrrrrghhh!

patasarriba
I have had horrible experiences with pretty much every American airline, especially Delta. But I think Copa and LAN are pretty good. What other airlines are out there that aren't terrible? I'm trying to help my father plan a trip. Thanks!
jipmerite
I don't know much about US airlines. But most Asian ones suck big time.
GSIS
I have 'fond' memories of flying Garuda (Indonesian national airline) between Bandung and Jakarta.

I had a seat very near the front. From where I was sitting I could see, through the open cockpit door, a bank of circuit breakers near the floor next to the captain's seat. Above the circuit breakers was a very clear sign that said DO NOT RESET.

While taxiing to the runway one of them kept tripping - so the Captain kept resetting it. When we finally got take-off clearance we headed off down the runway. The breaker tripped again and the Captain reached down with his left hand, held the circuit breaker closed, and rotated the aircraft with just his right hand on the wheel. The copilot was talking to one of the trolley-dollies so he certainly wasn't flying the plane!

When I got checked into my hotel in Jakarta I soon met an airline mechanic, seconded from KLM to Garuda, who spent more time in the hotel lobby than the Bell Captain (and certainly drank a lot more). That really enhanced my view of airline safety.

To answer the question, though ...

I know of no airline that I have particularly found reliable, trustworthy or good value for money.
Paulo_baga
In dont no traveld Us Airlines , Dizem q in good !
patasarriba
GSIS wrote:
I have 'fond' memories of flying Garuda (Indonesian national airline) between Bandung and Jakarta.

I had a seat very near the front. From where I was sitting I could see, through the open cockpit door, a bank of circuit breakers near the floor next to the captain's seat. Above the circuit breakers was a very clear sign that said DO NOT RESET.

While taxiing to the runway one of them kept tripping - so the Captain kept resetting it. When we finally got take-off clearance we headed off down the runway. The breaker tripped again and the Captain reached down with his left hand, held the circuit breaker closed, and rotated the aircraft with just his right hand on the wheel. The copilot was talking to one of the trolley-dollies so he certainly wasn't flying the plane!

When I got checked into my hotel in Jakarta I soon met an airline mechanic, seconded from KLM to Garuda, who spent more time in the hotel lobby than the Bell Captain (and certainly drank a lot more). That really enhanced my view of airline safety.

To answer the question, though ...

I know of no airline that I have particularly found reliable, trustworthy or good value for money.

This puts everything I've gone through in perspective. Guess the airlines I've been on weren't so bad after all.
ocalhoun
As far as I've experienced with US airlines, they do often have problems (loosing luggage being the most frequent), but if there are problems, they will usually try their best to resolve them. Sometimes they will go to great lengths to do so.
Tim Graham
US airlines are meant to be awful.

Aussie ones aren't bad. Qantas are quite nice, even if they charge a bit more - meals, entertainment etc. Virgin are pretty good too - the staff are quite friendly and if the Live2Air system stuffs up then they let everyone have it for free.

I haven't flown any of the newer low-cost carriers.
Coclus
I have some pretty bad experiences with indonesian airlines: Merpati just cancels every flight, Lion Air crashes all the time and Garuda, being the best of these, arrives with 2 hours delay every single time.
thejam
I am allways surprised on the (lack of) quality, some airlines offer. pretty recently i flew with Juneyao airlines to Haikou (Hainan) in a 2,5 hour flight. A two-way ticket cost me arround $50, wich is even cheap in China for a distance like that. I was seriously pleasent surprised by the service and good condition of the interiour, and space of the seats. I flew with budgetairlines like Air Berlin, Ryan air, Dutchbird and easy air before, and don't want to complain about quality.. cause at the end thats what you are paying for right?? But this Airline Juneyao, was even better than my expierences flying Air france, BA, KLM, or Austrian Airlines.. Perhaps the name sounds like they can crash any minute.. but they get my thumbs up!