FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

ROMS and emulators, what's your oppinion?

Are people allowed to play ROMS?
Yes, even commercial ones.
40%
 40%  [ 15 ]
Yes, but non commercial.
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Yes, if the player owns the game cartige.
45%
 45%  [ 17 ]
No, definately not.
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
No opinion/What are ROMS?
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Other, namely.... (explain)
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 37

Flakky
For some reasons many people are looking frightened when I say that I have ROMS and emulators on my pc. The smaller group wich don't look frightened often have ROMS themselves or no opinion. What do you think of the usage of emulators and roms?

In my opinion ROMS are allowed if you own the game cartige. Gaming on the pc has more advantages like key remapping, brighter and larger screen, cheats and such. I think that commercial games should become available for download by rom-sites because those are the best games to play.
enternaldr
I have many roms on my pc including N64 and GBA. At least i own them. I dont like people who dont own the game and has it as a rom on their pc. Its completely unfair to the company that produce it.
JBotAlan
I see running games I dished out cash for on the PC as my right, even though that's not the industry's view. I also believe that ROMs the company no longer sells should be public domain. That's obviously not a legal view at all, but I have no guilt downloading games that are 15 years old. It isn't hurting anyone's bottom line.

JBot
zellfaze
I have many ROMs sitting round, but I too own copies of all the ROMs I have. I agree with JBotAlan on that ROMs that no longer sell should become public domain. I dont see that ever happening though. I have tons of emus though. Some I dont even have roms for. If I remember correctly ROMs are legal if you own the respective Cartridge/Cd and Emulators are legal as long as they do not contain any proprietary code.
mattchun
Certainly it's good to play ROMs on my personal computer, you know it's always interesting to play new games, and especially from other game platform, right?
enternaldr
Now that i think about it old ROMs should be made public domain so people can enjoy games that hasnt been played for years.
m-productions
This is very simple and has nothing to do with opnion, 90% of roms are 100% legal, and you are allowed to have this as long as you own the game itself, However, some roms, even if you own the game, are illegal, as they are protected by (I cant remember the name) and you are not allowed to have them in such a forum.

If you do not have the game, it is fully illegal! ...... however.... even tho it is.. on old games like nintendo and some snes games, the company wouldnt even get money from the sell anymore becuase they are out of print... so its still illegal.. but not as frowned appon.
zellfaze
I think games need to be ported to the PC even if they are old. Then the company doesnt lose any money on this whole rom thing and they may even make a few bucks because of the selling of the game again.
Pikokola
well.. Actually I think it as long as you own the original cartridge, cd, dvd, blu ray disc or anything... but it's getting harder when you wants to play some "really old" games like from atari or nintendo since it'll be really hard to get those original cartridge *_*
reddishblue
I no longer use ROMs, but that isn't to do with legal things, I just got bored and my computer was running low on space, however, I downloaded Nintendo 64 ROMs.

Now, I know they aren't very old, but I stand by the idea that if the company no longer sells the game, surely there's nothing wrong with getting it for free.

Now, these games are being sold by Nintendo, again, which I really don't like, because they are practically cheating you, why do we need to pay for games that are twenty years old? Honesty?

Those are a part of gaming history that should be for free for anyone willing to download it, it's as if the library started making you pay for borrowing books!

I support the preservation of gaming history, and for that, I think that all no longer sold games that are more then two console generations old should be avalible for free for anyone who wishes to have them.

However, current day games should always be paid for, no exceptions at all.

Reddish
votd
I think having ROMs on your HDD isn't as much of a piracy than having pirated games, ISOs, DVDRips or stolen disc images, because ROMs are mostly old - well, if we are talking about SNES/NES/GB/GBC Roms (well, today even GBA Roms are getting old). And it's easy to hide those 8mb of GBA rom so no one (police Very Happy) would find it on your HDD.

And yes, it can be used for promotional purposes. People in U.S. can buy game if they want - it's nowhere near Poland where we can only play those ROMs and get excited over it (well, it depends on if you have good shop in your city and tolerable amount of money in your pocket).
Emmer-Compascuum
While having ROM images of new/recent commercial games is illegal, I did find some good use for them.
If I would immediately buy a game, I can't bring it back to the place I bought it easily (within 24 hours), so it was way easier to download a rom image first to see if it's a nice game. In sort of way, you could say that they helped me to decide if I should buy the games (and the handheld/console to play it on) or not.
Flakky
JBotAlan wrote:
I see running games I dished out cash for on the PC as my right, even though that's not the industry's view. I also believe that ROMs the company no longer sells should be public domain. That's obviously not a legal view at all, but I have no guilt downloading games that are 15 years old. It isn't hurting anyone's bottom line.

JBot
I'm not talking about legal and illegal usage of ROMS or anything, I am asking about whether you think it should be legal or not Smile You are right about it won't hurt anybody.

Emmer-Compascuum wrote:
While having ROM images of new/recent commercial games is illegal, I did find some good use for them.
If I would immediately buy a game, I can't bring it back to the place I bought it easily (within 24 hours), so it was way easier to download a rom image first to see if it's a nice game. In sort of way, you could say that they helped me to decide if I should buy the games (and the handheld/console to play it on) or not.
What if you truelly like the game and you can't find it in any of the stores nearby, would you search every country to buy a copy or just not tell anyone that you have it ? Razz
JBotAlan
Flakky wrote:
What if you truelly like the game and you can't find it in any of the stores nearby, would you search every country to buy a copy or just not tell anyone that you have it ? Razz

I haven't honestly found any games like this. However, every game is available to everyone--eBay, or other online retailers make this possible. Yes, it probably is different for people not in America (you? many people in this forum at least) but it is not impossible to get ROMs from other nations. Though that is illegal in some cases, too...I'm not sure if I agree with that law.

It sounds like you are trying to justify your use of a ROM illegally downloaded. You will have to evaluate that by your standards. I don't look very judgmentally on people who download ROMs. At least if they are old enough to be called ROMs...

JBot
Sparda
I have some roms like Super Mario 64 because my N64 no longer works and I still enjoy games on the N64. I also play some of the SNES games. I really like Super Metroid, Megaman X, and Super Mario World. All of these games I do indeed own of course. I do think a person should only get a rom if the person has the real game.
zellfaze
JBotAlan wrote:
but it is not impossible to get ROMs from other nations. Though that is illegal in some cases, too

It isn't always illegal to get ROMs from other country's if you don't own the game? Thats a new tid bit of info. Or have I mistaken your meaning?
vonboy
i would say that it's ok to get a rom for a game when there is no other practical way to get it.. i mean if somebody realy wants to play a game that was released 15 years ago in a different region on a system thats region locked, there is realy no other way to get ahold of it other then by downloading a rom of the game. the company would never have made any money from that customer anyway, so it shouldn't realy matter if that person got the rom.
Flakky
JBotAlan wrote:
It sounds like you are trying to justify your use of a ROM illegally downloaded. You will have to evaluate that by your standards. I don't look very judgmentally on people who download ROMs. At least if they are old enough to be called ROMs...

JBot

I am testing you by an 'if' situation. I always use my own law of being able to allow me to play the game if I have the game, even commercial ones.
Zombie
ROMS seem like a cool concept, I guess it's something like making backup copies of music cd's... as long as you have the original and keep the copy for personal use, you don't have to worry.
wabik90
Yeah, I think Roms are pretty good and smart idea. The problem is you can use it for playing illegal games copies. It's nice to try same games from other platforms on your computer and it gives lots of fun(I like GBA games Very Happy ), but unfortunately this commercial games are illegal(except that you have original version at home... but who would play on his computer if he can play on this platform...).

Cheers Very Happy
Ankhanu
I have no inherent issues with ROMs... I just don't like them. I've never used a ROM that gave me the same feel of playing the original system, which is an important part of the experience.

That said, I also kind of dislike ROMs of current hardware/software. If it's still available, use it in it's appropriate form
QrafTee
I don't see any real problem with ROMs as long as they're no longer accessible. Yes, there's now the Wii and it allows you to play many older games, but damn couldn't have Nintendo taken a page out of Microsoft's book and IMPROVE the classics a little bit?
Fire Boar
@QrafTee: No. Because the Virtual Console emulates many different consoles at once. In essence, the Wii comes with a built-in emulator. The downloads that Nintendo offer are simply rips of the original game, with the code untouched (besides perhaps a header to tell the Wii firmware which console it should emulate).

I'd say yes, if you own the game.

Now, for clarification on legal issues:

You own a copy of the game. Downloading the rom is LEGAL.
You do not own a copy of the game. Downloading and playing the rom is LEGAL. (Yes, it is!)
You do not own a copy of the game. Keeping the rom on your PC for more than 24 hours, or downloading the same rom from any source for a second time is ILLEGAL.
The game is officially marked "abandonware". You do not own the game. Downloading a rom and keeping it on your PC for any amount of time is LEGAL.
Ankhanu
QrafTee wrote:
couldn't have Nintendo taken a page out of Microsoft's book and IMPROVE the classics a little bit?

See, if they did, that would upset me. If I DL a ROM, it's because I want to play that game... as it was. Altering it alters the experience.
Arnie
Strictly speaking abandonware isn't legal, Fire Boar. Not even in my progressive country where downloading MP3s is completely legal.
Flakky
Arnie wrote:
Strictly speaking abandonware isn't legal, Fire Boar. Not even in my progressive country where downloading MP3s is completely legal.
Well downloading MP3'S is not legal, they just don't care, that is something different Smile
Arnie
Actually downloading copyrighted MP3s is strictly legal if only for personal use (in our country, the Netherlands) as can be read here (includes a link to English version for curious readers).

Downloading copyrighted software / ROMs is illegal in the strict sense. In the case of abandonware some people care but it generally doesn't cause problems. It is very incorrect to say "nobody cares" - clear definitions and borders are especially import in a topic that's specifically discussing a topic like this.
QrafTee
Ankhanu wrote:
QrafTee wrote:
couldn't have Nintendo taken a page out of Microsoft's book and IMPROVE the classics a little bit?

See, if they did, that would upset me. If I DL a ROM, it's because I want to play that game... as it was. Altering it alters the experience.

I know what you mean, but I don't mean improve it where you have no choice. I mean improve it so you can choose to play the classic version or "enhanced" version. That and adding online-play to classics like Street Fighter II would be pretty good. So yes, it will be altering the experience, but only if you choose to alter it.
Ankhanu
Then they'd also have to increase the price to account for the extra programming involved. In just creating a ROM from the original, they save a lot of time and effort, and thusly, cost. That savings moves on to we the consumers.
kicy
Woot ROMs!, I made this discovery when I was in fifth grade. It changed my life as it is now. Without them I don't think I would know about anything on the computer. Since I had parental blocks I had to find out how to get passed them and then it led to more knowledge Smile
zellfaze
Arnie wrote:
Actually downloading copyrighted MP3s is strictly legal if only for personal use (in our country, the Netherlands) as can be read here (includes a link to English version for curious readers).

Downloading copyrighted software / ROMs is illegal in the strict sense. In the case of abandonware some people care but it generally doesn't cause problems. It is very incorrect to say "nobody cares" - clear definitions and borders are especially import in a topic that's specifically discussing a topic like this.

I'm sorry if I'm getting off topic, but thats really neat there. Any idea how long it will be before they change that law. Since I figure they will eventually.
Arnie
Nobody really knows, but many fear for it Wink
CMA
ROM threads are always fun to read, since there'll always be people around claiming that they have only ROMs for games they own so it's not illegal, etc etc... In fact, most of those people will also have other games they DON'T own, but can't admit it publicly.

I used to have a large collection of ROMs for GBA and SNES, and a few for Genesis, but due to lack of space and time to dedicate to them, I ended up deleting the folders.

Now for the topic...
It should be legal to own ROMs for games you purchased at the store, as the company isn't losing any money this way... You gave your money, so you rightfully own that game. And as the game is on a different platform (PC) on a whole different format, it doesn't really count as if you had purchased a 2nd copy... it's just a way to play the same game a little differently.

Also, there's the issue with games which may not have been released in your country... in which case it shouldn't be illegal to get the ROM for that game for you. Like the SNES version of Tales of Phantasia, which was only released in Japan, and only translated to English by fans. This is much like fansubbing an anime series which wasn't licensed outside Japan yet... it's only illegal to distribute the fansubbed episodes from the time it gets licensed.

And as for those ancient games which are no longer in production, as those for old consoles like SNES or GBA, things get a little tricky. Or maybe not. See, even if a company stops selling a certain game, you can most certainly find it in stores if you lurk enough. So in my opinion, there should be a certain space in-between, let's say... 5 to 8 years after the company stopped producing the game.
Flakky
kicy wrote:
Woot ROMs!, I made this discovery when I was in fifth grade. It changed my life as it is now. Without them I don't think I would know about anything on the computer. Since I had parental blocks I had to find out how to get passed them and then it led to more knowledge Smile
Good story Smile Lolled at it.

zellfaze wrote:
Arnie wrote:

I'm sorry if I'm getting off topic, but thats really neat there. Any idea how long it will be before they change that law. Since I figure they will eventually.
I don't think they will change the law because nobody can and will check whether that 12yo neighborboy downloads music Razz

I also think that if you download MP3's, you instantly get the label of a downloaded and that is what people fear, to get that lable. I myself just don't care about labels.
ZzZ_AluCarD_ZzZ
It's a good way to play old games freely. The only problem is that you can emulate PSP, DS and other playstation 2 games, I think it's unfair for thoses developpers.
carlokes
Hi there,

I' am a big fan of ROM and emulators, not the ones of nowadays games and consoles but those that are not sold anymore, such as Spectrum, NES/SNES, MegaDrive. One of my favorite games of all times, for instance, is Mario Land 3 Smile I remember not long ago, me and my girlfriend playing it together alll the time Razz

Stay Cool !!
exarkun
I seriously thought that the usage of ROMS and emulators would common among gamers. Since we have a pc, why don't we take advantage of the technology it possess and use it for other uses?
Urban
Of course you can, but you need to own the game and I think the game must be released since a certain time.. probaby 6-7 years, I can't remember. I have some Zelda's roms but even if I have a joytstick, I don't really enjoy to play these games on my computer.

ZzZ_AluCarD_ZzZ wrote:
It's a good way to play old games freely. The only problem is that you can emulate PSP, DS and other playstation 2 games, I think it's unfair for thoses developpers.

Ah? The same developpers that make us wait 12 hours in a row to get a Wii when they have 1,000,000,000 in stock but they wont sell it? Nah of course, it's not their fault because they don't care of the marketting part but they probably get paid before the release of the game and get bonus if the game is a success.
Arnie
Although it isn't nice, it's their good right to do that.
RoBaN09
ya i have ROMs on my computer i dont really play them anymore but when i did i really didnt think much of the legal stuff

i figured that since someone pretty much just gave it to me i could just blame them if i had suits at my door
Arnie
That's not a valid argument.
Quote:
Under s22 Theft Act 1968:
A person handles stolen goods if (otherwise than in the course of stealing), knowing or believing them to be stolen goods he dishonestly receives the goods, or dishonestly undertakes or assists in their retention, removal, disposal or realisation by or for the benefit of another person, or if he arranges to do so.
Now for the heroes that say "you cannot compare software to material goods": then also his argument is invalid, because he's brought up the comparison in the first place!

Note that I'm not expressing my opinion on roms in this post, I'm just commenting on a single argument.
kicy
pfft almost every1 who downloads roms are people who don't care about what they are doing is legal, the only reasons you don't hear about it is

1: they want to be anomonous

2: they are to busy playing games, and rather not express their opinions in forums or such
Flakky
kicy wrote:
pfft almost every1 who downloads roms are people who don't care about what they are doing is legal, the only reasons you don't hear about it is

2: they are to busy playing games, and rather not express their opinions in forums or such
Yeah indeed, I can't make myself to pause the game for 5 minutes to write this... Course I can Smile As you can see many people have told the rest they have ROMS.
spykE
Well I would allow it if these games are older than like 4-5 years, I wouldn't see a problem Wink.
zellfaze
kicy wrote:

I download tons of ROMs and I don't remain anonymous or spend all my time gaming. But your right in saying most people don't care about whether they are doing things legally or not. I know a lot of people who download hundreds of illegal ROMs.
kerryworkman
reddishblue wrote:
... Now, I know they aren't very old, but I stand by the idea that if the company no longer sells the game, surely there's nothing wrong with getting it for free.

Those are a part of gaming history that should be for free for anyone willing to download it, it's as if the library started making you pay for borrowing books!

I support the preservation of gaming history, and for that, I think that all no longer sold games that are more then two console generations old should be avalible for free for anyone who wishes to have them .... Reddish

Hell yea! I completely agree with you. On top of that, those games were just sitting collecting dust with no real value to anyone. It wasn't until someone got the bright idea to make them into roms, that all of a sudden the game companies decided there might still be some money to be squeezed out of them and brought us to this current legal situation. It's all a bunch of crap, there are no roms in my collection that I don't currently or haven't at one time owned, and I refuse to pay for them again.
dirkvb
ROMs ...
Lots of fun , espessialy for me, I don't have a gameboy so whit a rom a can still play some gameboy games.

You've got lots of roms on the internet, limewire and so on, but most of the are illegal. So you shouldn't play them normally.

But yes, sometimes we all download something which isn't allowed.
And still its lots of fun, playing gameboy on the computer
movieplace
Hey all,
My playstation 2 just broke down :S but i want to play a few very good games but it cant any more :S, so please does someone know a ps2 emulator for my computer??
thx to everyone who reply Very Happy
zellfaze
movieplace wrote:
Hey all,
My playstation 2 just broke down :S but i want to play a few very good games but it cant any more :S, so please does someone know a ps2 emulator for my computer??
thx to everyone who reply Very Happy

pcsx2 seems to work well enough. I dont have a link for you though, mainly because I have just heard the name not actually used it.
9th_GateGGames
Technically its illegal to operate ROMs if you do not own the cartrige itself but, i seriously doubt that any law enforcement will go out looking for people who have downloaded ROMs and take the time to use the man hours to search houses to see if the person owns or has owned an obsolete piece of equipment. so i wouldnt worry either way.
dusmanija
Of course i agree but as a programmer i realize how hard is to make a good game. Those people were working for years and then someone youst download it for free and there you go. But there is no worse place in piracy then here in Serbia. You can find everything on corner even Microsoft Vista for around 2 Euro Smile))
QrafTee
Ankhanu wrote:
Then they'd also have to increase the price to account for the extra programming involved. In just creating a ROM from the original, they save a lot of time and effort, and thusly, cost. That savings moves on to we the consumers.

But somehow it's done on Xbox Live Arcade all the time? Nintendo can't beat around the bush while its competitors can do the same thing they're doing, but doing it better at the same time. And what you're saying is it's okay for Nintendo to be lazy and cheap. I'm glad they're adding some improvements on Pokemon Snap (although I won't be getting it anyway) because it means Nintendo is ready to do their Virtual Console--and their customers--justice.
enygmasoft
Roms rule as long as the bottom line is not being affected by this. This lends an interesting question to the now releasing old games for a fee. Sadly, I find them typically overpriced.
Peterssidan
I have no problem with ROMs because I don't think downloading copyrighted things is a bad thing.
kicy
9th_GateGGames wrote:
Technically its illegal to operate ROMs if you do not own the cartrige itself but, i seriously doubt that any law enforcement will go out looking for people who have downloaded ROMs and take the time to use the man hours to search houses to see if the person owns or has owned an obsolete piece of equipment. so i wouldnt worry either way.

Some law enforcements do arrest people and press charges to make examples of them or scare everyone else.

Quote:
Of course i agree but as a programmer i realize how hard is to make a good game. Those people were working for years and then someone youst download it for free and there you go. But there is no worse place in piracy then here in Serbia. You can find everything on corner even Microsoft Vista for around 2 Euro ))

Programmers do not lose a lot of money, most of the money that is lost is never gained. For example, lets say there is a person who has like 3 xbox "backups", but if that same person didn't get backups then he would probably get used games (probably when they are cheap since this person is too cheap to buy games) 20$+40$+30$. So he buys 90$ in used games.. So the programmers total profit would equal. Nothing. Those games were already bought since they are used. Thus you already made your money, and there is little to no difference.
eday2010
I have a slew of ROMs for all the old consoles (Nintendo, Sega, Atari, Collecovision, etc). I have yet to really play them.

As I see it, it's illegal to trade and spread ROMS. Whether the company who made the game is still marketing it or not, it is still a copyrighted piece of work. However how does getting a bunch of 8-bit Sega ROMS from the Internet differ from buying a bunch of used 8-Bit Sega games from eBay or a game store really differ? Apart from the initial sale of the game, Sega is not making any money on me buying Gangster Twon for the Master System from Microplay or a seller on eBay.

So in one way used games and ROMS are somewhat similar. But I realize that the ROM is a copy of the game, and because it's a copy, that is what makes it illegal. And then there is the resurrgence of retro games on the Wii Virtual Console and Xbox Live.

I don't have all those ROMS not to rip off Atari of Nintendo or anyone. I have them because a lot of those games can't be found anymore. Plus if I am selectively collecting for an older system, they are a good way to find out what games are worth searching for. Not to mention being able to play games that were never released where I live.

I like the idea of ROMS for older games, but as a way of being able to experience all the old games, not soley as a way to get something for nothing and steal from the companies.
kiran_n444
i think that Rom games are amazing especially SNES and N64(james bond). But the Nintendo DS and the GameBoy look horrible on PC, try to avoid.
fracko
Poor people should be able to use emulators =)
eday2010
fracko wrote:
Poor people should be able to use emulators =)

No they shouldn't. Not anymore than a rich person. I don't support ROMs and emulators for current, but for older legacy games I don't see too much of a problem with it.
endless
i only have pokemon roms, and i own a copy of every rom i have (i have every pokemon game from red/blue)
infobankr
I've only played ROMs of really old video games, and I enjoyed them. They don't seem as good as the real deal though.

Also, what Fire Boar said about the legality of ROMs is questionable, like most legalities. Smile

Its good to read someone thinking about copyright issues when it comes to data though.
cornga56
I love ROMS and Emulators for one reason. Ease of use and the availability of titles that can no longer be found without having to pay too much money. Here's the way I see it, 90percent of the time game companies are not making money on the games secondhand, thirdhand, fourthand. Therefore in a sensible way getting the ROMS isn't going to hurt the game companies like downloading music might hurt certain labels. So i don't think it's a big deal, obviously it's illegal but who cares, it's completely unenforceable. Not to mention usually I don't sit around all day playing ROMs, i usually just like to play a few levels of my old favorite games and my urges are satisfied.
enygmasoft
cornga56 wrote:
I love ROMS and Emulators for one reason. Ease of use and the availability of titles that can no longer be found without having to pay too much money. Here's the way I see it, 90percent of the time game companies are not making money on the games secondhand, thirdhand, fourthand. Therefore in a sensible way getting the ROMS isn't going to hurt the game companies like downloading music might hurt certain labels. So i don't think it's a big deal, obviously it's illegal but who cares, it's completely unenforceable. Not to mention usually I don't sit around all day playing ROMs, i usually just like to play a few levels of my old favorite games and my urges are satisfied.

Emulation is a mainstay in my book . I have been an avid use of them since I began using my more Powerful PC to work the emulation Scene. Amazingly, Emulation quality is always limited by Horsepower under the CPU.
Pikokola
wabik90 wrote:
but who would play on his computer if he can play on this platform...).

Cheers Very Happy

I, I prefer play GBA Emulator than the GBa itself, moreover playing in emulator are much more "easy" than on the real platform (save states, capture sound&screenshoot, thortle which can be used to speed up or slow down your game, what's more?)
kicy
eday2010 wrote:
I have a slew of ROMs for all the old consoles (Nintendo, Sega, Atari, Collecovision, etc). I have yet to really play them.

As I see it, it's illegal to trade and spread ROMS. Whether the company who made the game is still marketing it or not, it is still a copyrighted piece of work. However how does getting a bunch of 8-bit Sega ROMS from the Internet differ from buying a bunch of used 8-Bit Sega games from eBay or a game store really differ? Apart from the initial sale of the game, Sega is not making any money on me buying Gangster Twon for the Master System from Microplay or a seller on eBay.

So in one way used games and ROMS are somewhat similar. But I realize that the ROM is a copy of the game, and because it's a copy, that is what makes it illegal. And then there is the resurrgence of retro games on the Wii Virtual Console and Xbox Live.

I don't have all those ROMS not to rip off Atari of Nintendo or anyone. I have them because a lot of those games can't be found anymore. Plus if I am selectively collecting for an older system, they are a good way to find out what games are worth searching for. Not to mention being able to play games that were never released where I live.

I like the idea of ROMS for older games, but as a way of being able to experience all the old games, not soley as a way to get something for nothing and steal from the companies.

When you buy a game you buy the rights to play it, and the ability to experience all the old games is copyrighted property of the game companies. Wink

Even though I do not support this.
Trevarion
Well, in my opinion your're allowed to download and play ROMS, if you own the game yourself, or the games is 5+ years old / can't be bought in shops anymore. Game Studios have worked hard to make the games, and if you would just download a rom/emulator for it and play it, they wouldn't get any money for their hard work (same with pirating).
I myself have many roms on my pc, although I own every game and still have the cartridges.
smokey4life
Im am a little unclear on the subject at hand, i have never been into the whole ROMS or Emulators thing so i never had a reason to check any of them out or even learn anything about them for that matter. What are the differences between a ROM and an Emulator? Im guessing that an emulator allows you to play your ps2 games or whatever emulator you have installed on your computer? And a rom is like a backup of the game that can be played on your computer using the emulator if you dont have the disk? Or am i way off base on this one? Someone please shine some light explaining this to me a little bit i am curious now. Twisted Evil
william
I'm not against ROMS and emulators, so long as the person actually owns the game, or if the game is available for free to everyone. Thing is, I find it wrong to rip off companies by acquiring the games for free. Most games I'd be interested in emulating are Nintendo games, and no way would I want to rip them off. I don't really emulate games much at all, though I have emulated some Nintendo 64 games, all of which I own. I see the only benefit of emulating is being able to play the game while not near the console.

So, overall, I say emulating is OK, so long as you own the game and have paid for it.