FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

lipstick has lead

biomerocks
small amounts of lead have been found in some lipstick. check the news fo rmore info
patasarriba
That's really not surprising. There's all sorts of horrible stuff in cosmetics. Perhaps by painting yourself and trying to look younger than you are, you're really killing yourself.
polis
It's the price for being accepted by society....
SonLight
This is being discussed by a consumer advocacy group and the FDA. The FDA apparently does not set standards for lead in cosmetics. The tests found up to six times the maximum limit for candy. In my opinion, the amount of lead actually absorbed into the body from lipstick would be a small fraction of what you would get from even one small candy bar, so I would be inclined to consider this a non-issue unless there are higher levels than reported in this item, or if the allowable levels in candy are much too high.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2003946692_lipstick13.html
otiscom
If it's made in China it could be serious!
They use much to much lead in most products.
Kelvin
cosmetics have been reported to contain all kinds of chemical that are harmful to humans. They are also evident in well known brands. I guess people's need to look beautiful just outweighs the harm in doing so... the price of attraction. Maybe on day cosmetics will be lablled like food ingredients... stating what chemicals are found in the said product.
missdixy
SonLight wrote:
This is being discussed by a consumer advocacy group and the FDA. The FDA apparently does not set standards for lead in cosmetics. The tests found up to six times the maximum limit for candy. In my opinion, the amount of lead actually absorbed into the body from lipstick would be a small fraction of what you would get from even one small candy bar, so I would be inclined to consider this a non-issue unless there are higher levels than reported in this item, or if the allowable levels in candy are much too high.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2003946692_lipstick13.html

What if a child eats lipstick!!!
SonLight
missdixy wrote:

Yes, I agree, that would be a problem. Lipstick is NOT a food. I would worry about the risks, regardless of the lead levels. Oh oh, what if the child ate candy?
gh0stface
missdixy wrote:

It means that you aren't watching your kid carefully enough ;o

It's kind of interesting that the FDA would get involved as the FDA tends to deal with mainly food and drugs and not in the cosmetic area. It'll be just interesting to see what type of results that the FDA will be able to produce compared to the Bodycote Testing Group test results.
liljp617
polis wrote:
It's the price for being accepted by society....

It's actually the price of buying crap from overseas made in sweatshops just so it costs less...
Soulfire
Well, slap some "Made in China" stickers on it and we'll all know exactly what to expect...
coolclay
Most made in china products have made in China on them somewhere. I ince saw this bracelet thing that was red white and blue and said USA, when you flipped it inside out it said made in china. I am sure the Chinese government just laughs the whole way to the bank, while the rest of China starves.