FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Anyone install wiki for an Internal office setup?

shenyl
I am interested to install wiki on a LAN server for Internal discussions and collaboration. Anyone has expwerienced this and care to give as much advice as possible.

Very much appreciated.
Stubru Freak
I've never done it, but it probably isn't harder than installing a wiki on a public server.
shenyl
Thank you, for the encouragement, but I do need lots of help, as the Server I tried on is using an IIS web server, and installed with PHP 5.

I have donwloaded the dokuwiki software, and tried the installation. Installation ok, but when I tried and access the wiki, it simply would not start.

I search and found that the dokuwiki site is asking for help for IIS installation and with no reply in the thread.

I am now trying to check the php.ini to see if anything need to be set for IIS.

It is beginning to take the excitement out of the initial intent.

Help if you have something other than encouragement.

With best regards.
Stubru Freak
shenyl wrote:
Thank you, for the encouragement, but I do need lots of help, as the Server I tried on is using an IIS web server, and installed with PHP 5.

I have donwloaded the dokuwiki software, and tried the installation. Installation ok, but when I tried and access the wiki, it simply would not start.

I search and found that the dokuwiki site is asking for help for IIS installation and with no reply in the thread.

With best regards.

Do you need IIS? It's not used a lot, and as such may not work correctly with some software. Also there won't be a lot of people who can help you.
I would recommend downloading Apache. It's also the web server the dokuwiki site recommends.
If you choose to use IIS, we'll need more information to help you.
Can you run any PHP file?
mehulved
shenyl wrote:

With best regards.

Have you read http://wiki.splitbrain.org/wiki:install:iis
Does it help you?
And can you explain what you mean by doesn't start.
Also, if you aren't averse to using apache for something like EasyPHP or XAMPP, which has apache, php and mysql, in a very easy to use setup.
dac_nip
its pretty much the same as installing in a web server. the difference in LAN is just its offline and accessible by your network only. here's what you need

1. Server - recommend APACHE
2. Database - recommend MySQL
3. Wiki - recommend MediaWiki

those softwares are all free. they are open source softwares. and the tutorials for installing them are available in their websites. just google it. if you need further help, just post it here. we'll try answering your questions.
dac_nip
or if you don't want to configure things. you can use bundled packages like
XAMP for windows or LAMP for linux.
shenyl
I do wish to keep just one Web Server - as the IIS is used for many web applications. To install Apache will mean two Web servers contending for the ONE Port 80.

I am aware of XAMP and WAMP, but they are not really stable options, and they definitely will demand PORT 80 outright.

I have read and tried the http://wiki.splitbrain.org/wiki:install:iis, and set the permission before the install. But once I tried to use the wiki, the browser just go blank. It most probably the php code cannot run.

PHP on IIS is working and the Admin and Help for PHP loads up properly.

Looks like I have to install Apache and set to port 8080 (or others) and then install the various PHP, dokuwiki.

If someone has face this exact predicament, please help. Otherwise truly thanks for all the confirmation that it is best to use a different IP port and fully Apache + Php.
ganesh
I work in a startup and for internal colloboration we use TWiki.

I am not an IT person per se, but I believe that it is very easy to set up and install this package.

More details can be found in this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TWiki

http://twiki.org/