FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Wi-Fi

tomahawk19
Ok, so here's the deal. I hate asking for help on such a simple problem, as I have a degree in information technology and computer repair, however, I have been having some issues with my Wi-Fi on my laptop dropping the DNS servers randomly from the DHCP asssigned addresses. When it does that, I have to shut off my wireless card, then turn it back on, which makes it really inconvenient when I am doing updates. I would make it static, however I also use my laptop on the college campus which means I have to have it dynamic for their network. Anyone have any ideas why the wireless would be doing that? (Oh and the connection signal is between 95% and 100% when it does this.)

Specs:
HP dv9205us running Vista Home Premium
Built in Wi-Fi
crdowner
That's a new one. I have had experience with some VPN clients not properly using DNS settings but I have never heard of what you describe. I suspect you have already tried these but...
Do you have the same problem with wired connections? If you can test this it may at least help to narrow the possible causes. If it is specific to a single wireless NIC, it could be a driver or hardware issue. If the problem occurs for wired connections, it is likely a problem with the DHCP scope or the device serving DHCP.
Is DHCP being served from a wireless access point or some other device?
Are you using the current driver for the wireless NIC?
Is the WAP running current firmware?
Some wireless NICs have upgradable firmware. Is yours current?
Is this a new problem that may have started after some software or hardware change or has the problem always existed?

Hope this helps
Jaan
I suspect it is vista's settings. It could also be your 'group update key' interval. What router do you have?
DecayClan
I used comodo firewall, that used to cause this exact problem...Don't knwo if this is of any help to you, but it was blocking a service(i can't remember which) BY DEFAULT.
lukand
crdowner wrote:
That's a new one. I have had experience with some VPN clients not properly using DNS settings but I have never heard of what you describe. I suspect you have already tried these but...
Do you have the same problem with wired connections? If you can test this it may at least help to narrow the possible causes. If it is specific to a single wireless NIC, it could be a driver or hardware issue. If the problem occurs for wired connections, it is likely a problem with the DHCP scope or the device serving DHCP.
Is DHCP being served from a wireless access point or some other device?
Are you using the current driver for the wireless NIC?
Is the WAP running current firmware?
Some wireless NICs have upgradable firmware. Is yours current?
Is this a new problem that may have started after some software or hardware change or has the problem always existed?

Hope this helps

What is VPN in WLan, I comunicate without VPN
Jaan
^ hijacked lol

VPN is a secure connection to remotely get your files, and WLan is just your wireless network...

Did you fix the problem Tomahawk?
lukand
And I have this problems, but only this problems, one years ago I don't have any problem but today have this problems