FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Brawl is Delayed, Nintendo Continues to support WiiSports

DSGamer3002
Recently, Nintendo has announced that Brawl will no longer be released on December 3rd this year, but rather on February 10th of 2008. On the same day, they launched a new commercial for the Wii, specifically advertising WiiSports, yet completely ignoring GOOD titles like Metroid Prime 3, Twilight Princess (controversial, but still), and upcoming games like Galaxy. Could Nintendo be taking their "mass market" plan a bit further than we really expected.

Let's start off with Brawl, and the fact that it may end up being another Twilight Princess or Metroid. Originally, TP was going to be released on the Gamecube in October of 2005, but Nintendo continued to delay the game nearly every month until they finally decided at E3 2006 that it would come out on the Wii as a launch title. Online Smash was originally announced along with the "Revolution", which was years ago. We're looking at a game that takes 3 whole years to make, yet was probably in the works for about 5 years? Sounds like TP, which honestly didn't go so well. Even Metroid Prime 3, which some Metroid fans say is somewhat lacking, was going to be a launch title for Wii, but was later delayed to February of this year, then to early Summer, and finally to late August.

In short, Nintendo seems to be caring less about their real consumers (gamers). It should take 4 to 5 years to make a game that's merely satisfactory. Although, it's really the various delays of release dates that's the problem. Nintendo seems to be breaking their promises lately.

As far as the WiiSports and WiiPlay issue, it's mere proof that Nintendo has started to care more about making money and less about appealing the real crowd buying their products. The higher ups (Reggie) must think that their majority of Wii products are being sold to 60-80 year olds or 5-10 year olds, due to the fact that their two "pro-exercise" games have been selling very well. How many 70 year olds do you know that would want to spend a few hundred dollars to buy a game console and accessories in order to play maybe ten 2-minute tennis matches at home? Not many, I'll tell you that. I don't know where they're getting these numbers of sales from, but they must be coming from the "real gamers" who thought something like WiiPlay would actually hold one's interest for longer than a few weeks.

So, what are your thoughts on Nintendo's new direction? Brawl's delay, and possibility of being delayed multiple times?
Magicman
All I know is that if Brawl is delayed again after this most recent delay I won't be very happy. I think that Nintendo should focus on applying the new control scheme to old game formulas. That would be innovative enough instead of them just appealing to an entire new group of people. They are almost alienating their fans by doing what they are doing now.
hlavco
I'm happy it's delayed, because obviously it's to make it better. I'd rather have a delayed awesome game than an on-time crappy game. Maybe they stumbled onto some bugs and are trying to fix them? Maybe they're adding new content? Who knows? They're definitely not making the game any worse. Also, I don't think it'll be delayed multiple times. They had playable demos last weekend.

Also, the "real crowd buying their products" are the people into Wii Sports. The casual gamers make up a bigger part of the Wii's customers than PS3 and XBox 360. Nintendo's trying to get more people into gaming, people who normally wouldn't play, like older people and parents. It seems to be working pretty well... I think the Wii is now the best-selling console on the market.
Satori
I don't mind the delay too much...and I will say this: Whatever Nintendo is doing right now is making their stock prices just go up and up...and since I own Nintendo stock, I am very happy with that Smile I mean, you don't find many companies who's stock goes up nearly 70% in 6 months. That's a huge gain. So I can wait a bit for a game that I KNOW will kick ass. I have absolutely no doubt that Brawl will be better than Melee...and since Melee was one of the best things to happen to the gamecube, you know Brawl can only surpass it. Besides, if the minor delay (come on...who cares about a couple months?) makes the game that much better, it's entirely worth the wait. Let Nintendo do their thing...they seem to be in a pretty good place right now. I can't complain with stock prices soaring Smile
MikeNF75
The election of the cartridge for the Nintendo 64 was a key factor in Nintendo's being unable to retain its dominant position. Most of the cartridge's advantages did not manifest themselves prominently and they were ending up nullified by the cartridge's shortcomings, which turned off customers and developers alike. Especially for the latter, it was costly and difficult to develop for ROM cartridges, as their limited storage capacity constrained the game's content.

Most third-party developers switched to the PlayStation (such as Square and Enix, whose Final Fantasy VII and Dragon Quest VII were initially pre-planned for the N64), while some who remained released fewer games to the Nintendo 64 (Capcom, with only 3 games; Konami, with 13 N64 games and over 50 to the PlayStation), and new game releases were few and far between while new games were coming out rapidly for the PlayStation. Most of the N64's biggest successes were developed by Nintendo itself or by second-parties of Nintendo, such as Rareware.

Despite the controversies, the N64 still managed to support many popular games, giving it a long life run. Much of this success was credited to Nintendo's strong first-party franchises, such as Mario and Zelda, which had strong name brand appeal yet appeared exclusively on Nintendo platforms. The N64 also secured its share of the mature audience thanks to GoldenEye 007, Nightmare Creatures, Perfect Dark, Doom 64, Resident Evil 2, Shadow Man, Conker's Bad Fur Day and Quake II.

In 2001, the Nintendo 64 was replaced by the disc-based Nintendo GameCube, although even with this system they refused to use mainstream CD/DVD technology, opting for the DVD-based but incompatible GameCube Optical Disc, which is much smaller than standard-sized CD/DVD media. This was not only to deter piracy but it also reduced the form factor, making it the most compact and portable console of its respective generation.

According to Wikipedia -- This gave Nintendo Corp a slightly more than unsavory reputation when it came to their word. They and their partners were sued for over $100M due to price fixing and less than reputable practices.
Satori
MikeNF75 wrote:
The election of the cartridge for the Nintendo 64 was a key factor in Nintendo's being unable to retain its dominant position. Most of the cartridge's advantages did not manifest themselves prominently and they were ending up nullified by the cartridge's shortcomings, which turned off customers and developers alike. Especially for the latter, it was costly and difficult to develop for ROM cartridges, as their limited storage capacity constrained the game's content.

Most third-party developers switched to the PlayStation (such as Square and Enix, whose Final Fantasy VII and Dragon Quest VII were initially pre-planned for the N64), while some who remained released fewer games to the Nintendo 64 (Capcom, with only 3 games; Konami, with 13 N64 games and over 50 to the PlayStation), and new game releases were few and far between while new games were coming out rapidly for the PlayStation. Most of the N64's biggest successes were developed by Nintendo itself or by second-parties of Nintendo, such as Rareware.

Despite the controversies, the N64 still managed to support many popular games, giving it a long life run. Much of this success was credited to Nintendo's strong first-party franchises, such as Mario and Zelda, which had strong name brand appeal yet appeared exclusively on Nintendo platforms. The N64 also secured its share of the mature audience thanks to GoldenEye 007, Nightmare Creatures, Perfect Dark, Doom 64, Resident Evil 2, Shadow Man, Conker's Bad Fur Day and Quake II.

In 2001, the Nintendo 64 was replaced by the disc-based Nintendo GameCube, although even with this system they refused to use mainstream CD/DVD technology, opting for the DVD-based but incompatible GameCube Optical Disc, which is much smaller than standard-sized CD/DVD media. This was not only to deter piracy but it also reduced the form factor, making it the most compact and portable console of its respective generation.

According to Wikipedia -- This gave Nintendo Corp a slightly more than unsavory reputation when it came to their word. They and their partners were sued for over $100M due to price fixing and less than reputable practices.

Quit spamming for points jerk!
m-productions
You really should learn more about what you speak of before you go and make a post on it.

First about whats on TV... I have seen comercails for all the wii games, so I have no idea what your talking about there. Its true that they are still showing wii sports, but thats a good thing, That is by far one of the most amazing games, not only do I like it, but millions of new gamers love it, heck, my mother even plays it (whos never played a game system before in her life).

And what you said about older people not buying something like that... ummm maybe you need to get your numbers right... they are! I know loads of older people who are buying this out of amazment. Over in euorpe (there was an article about this) A faimly brought there wii over to a retierment home, and all the older people actully started playing the wii, people there have never seen everyone that active in a long time, in fact they went out and got a wii for each one of their retierment homes... the wii is an amazing thing, and what they are doing with their marketing is wonderfull, its bring so many new people, and.. if we are the main stream gamers, we already know about all these other games coming out, so why do we need to see them on tv? we dont, but the people who dont play games much do, and thats what the ads are for.

as for braw being delayed, thats a very good thing, yes, I want it more than anything, But i rather have a even more kick butt game, than some crap they had to push out fast. (like with the crapy online they had, which is one of the reasons it was held back, so they can make that better)
Packfan104L4
If you REALLY want an incomplete game shipped out in December, then you can blow 50 bucks on the game. I don't know about everyone else, but I'd rather have the game delayed 3 months and have more content then playing an incomplete game just because it's Brawl.

And older people ARE buying the console. That's the reason the Wii is having such a success because it's appealing to the masses and not just the hardcore gamers.

Seriously, do more reasearch.

And to the N64 guy. What does that have ANYTHING to do with what we're talking about. It looks like you copied and pasted.
Insanity
I just hope that Brawl lives up to its hype. All this delaying is just upping the suspense for many people, and they're going to be sorely disappointed if the game doesn't live up to the hype generated. I don't think this would be the case though, seeing how awesome the past two games were. The screenshots and videos look pretty nice too.
Kelcey
We still have Mario Galaxy. Others of us have Assassin's Creed to. So maybe it's not such a bad thing that it's delayed.
QrafTee
Just because a game is delayed doesn't mean it's a problem. If it gets continuously delayed one after the next; then there is a problem. Nintendo's delays are usually worth it because the games just gets better from it--that and I don't have a Wii yet, but I have reserved Brawl... don't ask.

About advertising Wii Sports over the other games though... I really don't see that happening (on TV anyway). Nintendo is advertising other mass market games though, but they're NEW so that makes sense. Not many companies continue to advertise for old games.