FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Frihost Writing Contest : THE RESULTS

tidruG
Sorry for taking so long to announce the results. I was busy with some things that one would generally group under "Real Life".

Anyway, the results are in, finally.
There were (only) 4 entries.
In decreasing order of marks, they are:

1. ainieas - 800 FRIH$
2. Genesiz - 600 FRIH$
3. truespeed - 400 FRIH$
4. LukeakaDanish - 200 FRIH$

At this point, I would like to say to the participants that the scores were really close. Out of a total of 300 marks, the point difference between 1st and 2nd place entries was just 6 points!.

All the entries were extremely imaginative and creative, and the lack of quantity (only 4 entries) was definitely made up by the quality!

Good job to all the participants. I will probably be sending PMs to you all on my personal thoughts about your entries, since I would like to refrain from making any comments here (so as not to influence our readers' opinions or comments on your entries).
I would like to thank all the participants for participating.

Your prizes will be sent to you shortly.
tidruG
ainieas

RETURN OF THE HEIR

Eleven years can be the blink of an eye or it can be an eternal curse. It can be a fleeting gust of wind or it can be the tormenting stare of infinity. The difference only made up by what you have done those years.

Thus eleven years held different significance for two very different people. It had been eleven years for Harry Potter since his defeat of the greatest dark wizard yet, and it had been eleven years for the young child, standing on platform 9¾ looking longingly at the Hogwarts Express, since the child’s greatest loss – that of its parents.

The child knew all about the famous Harry Potter. Knew about the rise and fall of the Dark Lord and the night of the final battle of Hogwarts. Growing up hidden in a forest in Albania the child knew that destiny beckoned to a distant land. All these years the child’s only companion had been the old man to whom the child had been entrusted. And Mastadon had been a good teacher. Spells, incantations, charms had been a part of life since the time the child started showing traces of magic. “Much earlier than usual”, Mastadon had always proudly reflected. Even though magic came naturally to the child, more naturally came the control over it. In spite of Mastadon being the mentor, guardian, teacher of his ward it had always been clear that the relation between them was nothing more than that of a master and a servant.

“Tell me about my parents, Mastadon.”
“Ah! What do I say? Your father was the greatest wizard ever. Descendent of Salazar Slytherin himself, wasn’t he? Brought a change. Taught the magic world who belonged where. Not like the pussies of the Ministry. And your mother, my lady, was a fine woman. Your father’s most trusted lieutenant, she was. A scion of one of the oldest pure-blood families.”
“The Ministry?” the boy asked.
“The Ministry of Magic, torch bearers for the mudbloods, ain’t they? Throw them to the dementors I say. Along with your mother’s own sister. Betrayed us all and the Ministry pardoned them at that Potter’s insistence, didn’t they?”
“He caused the death of my father.”
“The very same. Not without treachery, I say. Caused the death of my lady too, didn’t he?” the old servant replied.
“Why do we have to hide, Mastadon?”
“My Lord didn’t want the line of the Slytherin to die out. He sought an heir. Your mother, of the noblest stock offered herself. After your birth, my lady desired that you be kept away from the looming conflict. Of course everyone had thought of more favourable outcome of the final conflict, didn’t they? But with the outcome I thought it would be prudent to keep you out of sight till you’re finally ready. Can’t trust the Death Eaters too. No loyalty anywhere.”
“My parents would have come for me…” the child whispered longingly.
“Undoubtedly that was the plan.”
“If it had not been for Harry Potter,” the venom in the child’s voice unmistakable.
Young master is the true heir of Slytherin, Mastadon thought to himself gleefully.

The month following the child’s eleventh birthday, both the master and the servant had returned back to the land of their birth. They had stayed in places around London, always on the move, never staying in one place for long. But even the most cautious are caught in the webs of their own deceit. Thus a recent spate of questionable occurrences had brought the Aurors upon the trail of Mastadon. The crimes of Mastadon finally come to catch up with him as the Aurors cornered him in his house. But not before he had bought his master the time to sneak out of the house. The child hid in a clump of trees and looked on as the Aurors dragged the old man out of the house. The child knew what was coming. There was a flash and a scream. The Aurors stood transfixed, unable to explain the mystery behind the spontaneous combustion of their captive. It is true, no one can understand the power of the Dark Arts, the child had thought and smiled. The servant had sacrificed himself for the master, the child had lost his only companion; yet it didn’t hurt much.

The child knew that one last return to the house was necessary. There were things to be had before moving on. Thus the dark night that followed, found the young child, intent on finding something from within the confines of the house. It wasn’t hard to find, the incantations harder to break through but managed by someone who had learnt the lessons to perfection. As the child held it in its hand, the sheer power of the thing seemed to run through every sinew of its being. It is a part of me, the child had thought excitedly. Rummaging the house the child pocketed the money that would be dearly needed for survival for the next few days. My sworn enemies will provide for me after that, the child thought and smiled. Mastadon had planned it all meticulously. Now the thing left was to get a room at the Leaky Cauldron. “Tom would be hospitable I suppose,” the child whispered. And it was so – leading to days and night inside the cramped room at the Leaky Cauldron, waiting and waiting for it to arrive.

Wandering around Daigon Alley took the mind of the child off other things. It was a fascinating place for a child who had never seen the wonder of seeing so many desirable things. And child is but a child, inevitable that he’ll desire what it sees yet this one was different. Momentary pleasures held no interest for this child. This child had bigger spoils in mind.

A loud banner proclaiming “Weasleys’ Wizarding Wheezes” had caught the child’s attention. Something about the name “Weasley” stirred some unknown hatred in the child’s heart. Someone shouted from inside the shop - “Angelina, will you please send my partner back to work. LEE, WE GOT WORK TO DO!”
“Coming George, don’t blow your fuse,” said the man in dreadlocks leading a giggling woman in his arms.

Why does that name ‘Weasley’ revolt me so much? Why do I feel they have taken something that was mine? - the child lost in thoughts walked through the crowd till another shout interrupted those thoughts -
“Hey Harry!” A tall red haired man was gesturing towards a bespectacled man. The name had caught the child’s attention. Could it be that I’m so close to the one upon whom I’ve sworn dire revenge? Could it be possible? - the child found it hard to believe.
“Hey Mr. Harry ‘Auror’ Potter, how come you and Ginny don’t drop by the house anymore.”
“Its Mr. Deputy Head Auror to you, Weasley,” the one addressed as Harry replied, “and just to inform you Ginny is on a ‘no-visiting-anyone mood’ after the baby. Even Teddy is quite a handful these days.”
The scar on his forehead, the child noted from a distance, he’s the one.
“Tell me about it. Were we that much a nuisance as babies?” asked the other smiling, “By the way Hermione wants to discuss something about the new Muggle Protection Act with you. She’s the head of the board drafting the act, you know.”
“With me? What do I know about muggle and their acts!” said Harry perplexed.
“You grew up with them, didn’t you?”
“Oh yeah! You mean that. Tell her I’ll come along soon. Will bring the boys and Ginny too. Anyways tell me how are you guys doing? Has little Dinaz started to talk yet.”
“Talk? Yesterday I found her halfway into ‘A History of Hogwarts’. Of course she was trying to eat through it but I really suspect she got her mom’s thing for books.”
“At least she got the Weasley hair, Ron,” laughed Harry.
“…and the freckles too,” said Ron grinning.
“How’s the office of Muggle Relations coming along? Your father must be very proud that you decided to take this appointment,” Harry asked.
“Yeah he’s pretty proud of me. But that might have something to do with the fact that I sneak in muggle things once in a while for him,” said Ron grinning. Harry laughed at the thought that Arthur Weasley still hadn’t got over his love for muggle objects.
“Ginny keeps me informed about Hermione,” Harry said.
“I know. They see each other regularly. The Department of Magical Law Enforcement and the Department of International Relations are close together,” Ron replied. “What are you doing here anyways?”
“Came to get Teddy’s books. He got his letter yesterday, you know. I felt so proud,” Harry replied.
“Seems like yesterday we were buying books for ourselves and just see, now even little Teddy too is going to Hogwarts. How time flies…” Ron said wistfully.
“I know! Listen I’ll get going now but tell you what, I’ll bring Ginny and the boys over this Friday, okay?” Harry said.
“Fine with me. See ya on Friday then, mate.” They shook hands and departed in opposite directions. The child’s eyes following the one called Harry till he could no longer be seen.

With the pieces destiny falling into place the child could barely wait for it all to unfurl. But a plan that had waited eleven years and would last seven more till its final act demanded patience. The child understood, with the knowledge that it wouldn’t take long now.

And sure enough –
“You there! Its bin quite hard catchin’ hold o’ yeh. I got somethin’ fer yeh.”
The child looked up at the giant of a man. Mastadon always said the giants were in our side, this one might be of use, the child thought.
“C’mon, take it. Yeh were waiting fer it, wern’t yeh?”
The gleam of happiness in the child’s eyes was unmistakable as it reached out for the letter. Finally I’m going to Hogwarts, the child had thought.
“You do have an unusual name,” Hagrid began.
“Its Greek,” came the nonchalant reply. It was a lie.
“Good! I’m Rubeus Hagrid by the way. Professor of Care of magical Creatures at Hogwarts as well as its gamekeeper,” the giant beamed. Unable to incite any response from the young child, Hagrid continued, “I’ll be sendin’ your letter of acceptance teh Hogwarts then.” Rummaging his pockets produced an owl and thrusting in its beak a hastily scribbled note set it off. “Now fer the things yeh will need.”
“I don’t have much money.”
“Don’ worry, Headmistress McGonagall has arranged fer you teh get assistance from the Hogwarts students’ fund,” Hagrid said, “yeh know, last time I was in-charge of someone, t’was Harry Potter. Ah! My Harry, how has he grown,” Hagrid sighed, “yeh’ll do just fine, mind yeh.” Hagrid missed that flash of hatred in those innocent eyes at the mention of Harry’s name.
“Lets get yer things then,” Hagrid offered.
“I’ll get them myself…sir.” No use mixing with one who had sold his allegiance to the enemy.
“Tom said yer livin’ alone. Too young to be live alone, aren’ yeh? Are yeh sure you can get the things?” Hagrid asked. He clearly had his doubts.
“Yes,” the child replied. The finality in the child’s tone set Hagrid off a little and so after giving his charge a money bag he left, lost in memories of another youngster to whom he had borne the Letter of Hogwarts.

The sound of a young boy’s voice brought the young scion of Slytherin to the present.
“Will you write to me, Harry?” the boy was saying. He was surrounded by a number of people who had obviously come to see him off.
“Yes, Teddy. And so will Ron, Ginny and Hermione. You just see, not a day will by when you won’t receive a letter from one of us.”
Its Harry Potter again, the child thought.
“Moreover you can drop by Hagrid’s cabin anytime,” said a woman with flaming red hair.
“I want to be in Gryffindor,” the boy whined.
“Don’t worry, Teddy, you’ll be, both your parents and everyone we tell you about - they were all in Gryffindor,” a bushy haired woman consoled.
“Luna was Ravenclaw…” said another voice.
“Shut up, Ron!” the bushy haired woman admonished.

The child standing a bit away from the group smiled at the thought that there could be no other house but Slytherin for its heir.

On boarding the train the child found an empty compartment and settled there. As the train whistled off there were a lot of last minute goodbyes. I have nothing to look back upon, everything to look forward to, the child thought.
Suddenly the compartment door opened, a boy peeked in but didn’t enter. He shut the door quickly. It was the boy from the station - Teddy. There were voices outside the compartment door.
“Hi! I’m Teddy Lupin.”
“Irshad Hussein. Tell me, was that Harry Potter you were with at the station.”
“Yeah, he’s my godfather.”
“Wow! I can’t believe it. He’s my hero. I’ve read Cho Chang’s ‘Harry Potter: The Boy Behind The Mystery’ like a hundred times!”
“Good! Any idea which house you might be in? I want to be in Gryffindor.”
“I’m sure I’ll be in Ravenclaw. My mom says I’m the smartest boy ever.”
“Okay.”
“Hey is this compartment empty?”
“No a girl is there. I don’t like girls. I think I’ll find another compartment. See ya then, Irshad”
“You too, Teddy.”

The door of the compartment opened a second time and this time a boy with long dark hair entered. He took the empty seat opposite.
“Hi, I’m Irshad,” the boy offered to his silent companion, “are you a first-year student too? Do you have a pet? I wanted to get one but my mom didn’t allow. Check out my wand. Its holly and phoenix feather. Mr. Ollivander said Harry Potter had a wand just like this.”
His companion made no reply but thought, as she clutched her own wand, feeling its power run through her - elder and the heartstrings of my own father. It was truly said that no one could really know just how far the boundaries of magic had been pushed by the Dark Lord.

Irshad waited for some answer but finding his companion’s quiet stare terrifying fell silent. Their journey continued in silence till he couldn’t take the sound the girl was making anymore –
“What are you doing?”
This time the young scion of Slytherin replied, “I’m singing to my pet.”
“No you aren’t singing! You’re just making weird noises. And you don’t even have a have a pet!” Irshad insisted.
“Yes I do,” was the quite reply. And from under the sleeves of her robes appeared the head of an adder baring its fangs.
Irshad fled from the compartment screaming.

For the first time the heiress of Slytherin gave vent to her feelings and laughed out aloud. “My enemies will teach me how to destroy them,” she whispered, “seven more years is nothing; I’d have given a lifetime.” It was all falling into place. All was well.
tidruG
Genesiz

ONE YEAR LATER

The air was cool and crisp, providing at least some protection against the warm summer’s day. The trees swayed smoothly in the breeze and ripples played over the glistening lake, the huge castle which dominated the backdrop reflected in its waters. The grand oak doors at the front of the castle opened, a thunderous noise against the silent, soundless air, and a stream of children began exiting the castle, their joy piercing through the silence. A young man watched the stream of kids from a window set in one of the tallest towers, his thoughts lost in their own, far away world.

‘Are you OK Harry?’ came a voice from behind him. He turned to see a girl standing there behind him, a look of concern etched on her face.

‘Err, yeah, I’m fine, I was just... Sorry did you want something Hermione?’ Harry asked.

‘I just wondered if you were ready to go Harry,’ she replied ‘but if you’d rather, I can come back later.’

‘Oh, err, no, no that’s fine, I’ll be down in a minute,’ he said. Hermione looked at him once more, before turning away and hurrying down the stairs. Harry looked back once more at the kids leaving the castle, before grabbing his suitcase and making his way to the door. As he was about to leave the room, he took one final look at the dormitory room that he had slept in for so long, that held so many fond memories for him, before turning back, heading out the door and setting off for the main grounds. He walked the route he remembered so well, turning to look at the paintings that he had passed so many times before pushing through the grand oak doors and stepping out into the castle grounds.

The castle grounds were full of kids saying their goodbye’s to each other; owls screeched and shook in their cages and cats purred in their owners arms. Harry set out through the large crowd of people, turning only to acknowledge a goodbye or a farewell from one of his school mates. He looked around in the crowd before spotting the three people he wanted to find.

‘Ah there you,’ said Ron, turning towards Harry as he approached ‘we thought you’d got lost.’

‘You’d think I’d know the way by now,’ said Harry smiling.

‘Yeah, well Ginny said that if you didn’t arrive in a few minutes we’d leave without you,’ replied Ron.

‘No I didn’t,’ said Ginny beside him, punching Ron on the arm. ‘He’s just joking,’ she added to Harry, kissing him on the cheek.

‘So, what are we going to do now we’ve finished our NEWTs?’ asked Ron.

‘Oh, I thought I might settle down, start a family,’ Harry replied, looking at Ginny, who looked back at him lovingly.

‘Cut it out you two,’ said Ron. He looked down at his watch. ‘It’s time to go,’ he said.

‘We’d better hurry up or we’re going to miss the train,’ said Hermione. The four of them muttered their agreements, and began to pick up their suitcases when they heard someone cough from behind them. They turned around to see Draco Malfoy standing in front of them, obviously uncomfortable with being in the situation he had found himself.

‘I, erm, just wondered if I could have a word with Harry, if, you know, that’s OK,’ he asked nervously. Harry looked at him curiously, he eyes looking for any signs that Draco was lying.

‘You go on ahead,’ Harry said, turning to the other three.

‘But Harry, the train’s about to leave,’ replied Hermione.

‘Don’t worry, I won’t be long,’ he said. The other three picked up their bags and set off for the train. Harry turned back towards Draco. ‘You wanted something,’ he said.

‘Yes, I erm, just wanted to say thank you for, you know, saving my life last year,’ Draco replied. ‘If it wasn’t for you, none of my family would still be alive, so thanks,’ he said sticking out his hand. Harry’s mind flashed back to an event nearly eight years ago, when the very same thing happened before.

‘Don’t mention it,’ he said, shaking Draco’s hand. Draco looked slightly taken aback, but he recovered, and shook Harry’s hand in response.

‘Well, I’d better be off,’ said Draco. He took one last look at Harry, before turning away and setting off back to the castle. Harry looked curiously at him again, before picking up his bags and setting off towards Ron, Hermione and Ginny. He carried on walking, until he got to the entrance to the castle. If he carried on now, he may never come back to the only place he had ever called home. He stopped and turned to look one last time at the castle. Memories of all the adventures he had had here came rushing back to him: the astronomy tower where Dumbledore had fallen to his death; the Great Hall where he had defeated Voldemort; Hagrid’s Hut which he had visited so many times, and where he had rescued Buckbeak from his execution; the lake where he had saved Ron during the Triwizard tournament and finally the Forest, where he had dropped the Resurrection stone. True to his word, he had not tried to recover the stone, but he still wished he had it, so he could see his parents one last time. He looked at all these places one last time, a single tear falling down his face, before turning back towards the exit and the new adventures that awaited him.
tidruG
truespeed

MADNESS IS IN THE HEAD OF THE BEHOLDER

It was my first day at the Voldemort hospital for the insane,i've been working as a nurse for 5 years now,but this is my first time working in an insane asylum,as you can imagine i was very nervous,as it turned out it was an eventful day.

"Nurse,can you ensure all beds are changed by 9 o'clock please"
I didn't want to cause upset on my first day so i did as i was told.
"Oh and nurse,do please smile,a smile goes a long way on this ward"
"Yes dr Snape"
"Please call me Severus,no need to be so informal,and by the way welcome to Hogwarts ward,im sure you will enjoy it,you would be maaad not to" He said having a little chuckle to himself,like he hadn't told the same joke a 100 times before.

There are a lot of characters on the ward,you had Ron Weasley,Ron would fall in love with all the nurses,he would sing them Phil collins songs in the middle of the ward at the top of his voice,i myself was treated to an out of tune version of "In the air tonight" It was so embarrassing i just wanted the ground to open up there beneath me,but i told myself i would have to get a thick skin and get used to it,no place for bashfulness on an insane ward. He told me i was his new favourite,and that he would love me as much as nurse Hermione.
"Nurse Hermione isn't here anymore" he said rather grandly"So now i will have to fall in love with you"
"But im a married woman Ron,my husband would be very offended" I replied hoping that would curb his affections.
"Thats ok,then i shall adore you from afar,is that ok by you"?
"Of course Ron,thats fine"
Ron was harmless really,he reminded me of my labrador,completely barking,but very affectionate.

The other patients ranged from those just in for a short period,those who have had a mental breakdown,due to a marriage break up,or money problems,to those who had been here for years,one of those who had been here for years was Harry.

Harry had been at the hospital for 19 years,he was diagnosed as schizophrenic,to meet him though you would never guess,when i first spoke to him,i thought he was one of the staff,he spoke so eloquently.
"Nurse your new aren't you" Asked Harry
"Why yes its my first day,so be gentle with me won't you"
"Nurse im not mad you know,not like the rest,i really shouldn't be here,im being held against my will"
He was about mid-30's i would guess,very tall,reminded me of an old history teacher at my old secondary school.
"Nurse,can i tell you a story"? He asked
"Im rather busy Harry"
"Please nurse,its important" He insisted
"Ok i have a break for lunch soon i will come and join you then" I said,half hoping he would forget about our conversation.

He didn't forget though,and im glad he didn't,the stories he told me were amazingly imaginative,how could someone who had spent most of their adult life in here come up with something so complex and so well thought through,he took me away from where i was to a world of magic and wizards.

"Nurse" Shouted Dr Snape "Your lunch hour is most definitely finished"
The time had flown by,was that really an hour.
"Sorry Dr Snape,i will get straight back to work" I smiled as i said it i dont know why ,maybe it was a nervous thing.
"And dont smile,we don't like smiling on this ward,do we Harry?" He gave Harry a mean snare,then walked off.
"Nurse" Harry said,in a,low voice "Can i tell you more stories tomorrow"?
"Yes of course,i think your stories are great,but i must go now,i dont want to get in Dr Snapes bad books"
"Nurse,before you go,can i ask you your name"
"My names Nurse Rowling,Joanne Rowling"
"Nice to meet you Joanne"
"Nice to meet you Harry"
tidruG
LukeakaDanish

THE WIZARDING STATUE OF SECRECY

The Kola Peninsula was not a very welcoming place on the best of days and this early winter morning was no exception. Had the inmate of cell 21a taken the time to look out of the tiny window in his minuscule cell he would have been almost pleased that he had been captured by the local authorities, however he never got the chance. He was awoken abruptly by a loud crack and when he opened his eyes he saw a young twenty-something year old man standing in front of him.
Before he had the chance to look at his face the man started pacing about in the cell muttering words beneath his breath while strings of light flew from his wand and disappeared in the damp air ... wait a minute...not a wand! He couldn't believe he had even thought of it as a "wand" - now that he looked more closely it was obviously some kind of holographic projector.
"What are you doing?"
The young man turned towards him and raised the projector towards him.
"Stupefy!"
The man tried to speak but felt unable to move his lips. He must be dreaming, he decided, and stared determinedly into the green eyes which for the first time where turned towards him.
"In a moment I will release you from the stunning spell I used on you. There will be no use in shouting for help and it is in both our interests that you cooperate with me. Therefore I ask only of you that you grab a hold of my arm and don't let go till I tell you."
"I am releasing you now"
The man felt himself regain control over his body and smiled defiantly. He stood up and took a step towards the stranger, feigned tripping on the stool next to his bunk and then made his move. He was a seasoned fighter had expected his opponent to avoid his lunge, however in now way could he ever have predicted what happened next.
"Protego!" yelled the young man.
"Levicorpus!"
He felt his fist hit an invisible barrier in front of his opponent but didn't even have time to feel confused before he was swept from his feet and into the air.
"Very well, we'll have it your..."
The intruder was cut off by another loud crack which revealed a young woman with another wand (he hesitated to think of it as this) in her hand.
"Hermione, I've got this..."
"There's no time to talk; I'm going to imperius him to make him hold on to you ... apparate as soon as you are ready."
The woman gave her wand a slight wave and moved her lips silently. Shortly thereafter he felt he was being hurled through empty space and could do nothing but hold tightly onto the sleeve of the young man in front of him, as if it was his own life. He must have fainted because next time he opened his eyes he was surrounded by at least ten figures in capes ... two of which appeared to be the young woman and man from before.
"Good job, Potter" said an old man with unusually deep and sparkling eyes.
"Thank you, Aberforth" said the young man from before, before turning his head towards the man on the floor.
"You will answer the following questions whether you like it or not ... once again I must assure you that this will be easier for both of us if you answer truly."
"We know you have planted nuclear bombs around Britain. Tell me all their locations."
The man on the floor smiled manically at Harry before reaching inside his coat...
Harry felt his body blasted back by the force of the explosion. As he got on his feet again his eyes met Ron's who was also quick to recover.
"The statute of secrecy cant be upheld. Saving the lives of the muggles must take priority now" said Ron.
Harry stared through the great hall towards the brilliance of the fountain and then closed his eyes. Apparently he would never be allowed a moment of peace in his life.
He smiled.
"You're right" he said, "you're right."
ainieas
Hey i'm not sure if we're supposed to post in this thread but i'm taking a chance, k!
I just don't know what to say except that i'm humbled. A big thanks to everyone involved and more so for the creative platform offered because it came at a time when i had all but given up on my writings.
I'd also like to thank two of my closest friends, firstly my GF who promised to always illustrate anything i write, secondly, Nina bcoz even when she hated what i made of her Harry Potter she was ambiguous in her comment to keep my morale high.

And also a big thanks to Frihost and all Frihosters.

Now if i say anything more i'll just ramble...so a quickie thanks and a sign off....

Edit: I don't know how i missed saying this. Genesiz, LukeakaDanish and truespeed i think you guys were amazing. No wonder the competition was so close! Wink
Genesiz
Well done ainieas. I thought my entry was good, but reading yours, i realise why you won. But hey seconds still good.

Well done to truespeed and LukeakaDanish as well. Your entries were both really excellent.
truespeed
Shame only 4 people entered but the quality was good,i read all the other entries,but having not read any harry potter books,or seen any of the films,i didnt really know what they were about,but they were all very well written.

Also thanks to tidrug for supplying me with all the character information which enabled me to submit a story.
garionw
truespeed wrote:
Shame only 4 people entered

Only 4? wow, thats not many - They were still very good to read though
Star Wars Fanatic
Wow, those were all great.
Each had qualities that the others didn't, put twists on the story that the other writers didn't.

I enjoyed ainieas' version, it was very well thought of, and I liked the surprise at the end of a female heir, I must confess that I was stereotypical and thought that the heir was male. It was also a very well done lead in to a possible next book. It was very well written, congrats to your winning of the contest.

Genesiz, I liked how you incorporated something I wanted to see in the original books, Malfoys thankfulness. It was great, and looking back was also something that you did very well.

I loved how truespeed (even though you didn't have an experience with the characters) turned things around on the reader, that was excellent. It was a great twist on the story. It have been a little neater if you had added something making it seem like all the stories told up to this point were what Harry had told the nurse, it would have made it seem like Rowling could come back later. I think you should see if you could send it to J.K. Rowling herself, just to see what she thinks Razz

LukeakaDanish, your version of the last chapter wasn't to bad, I was a little confused at first, but it was something that I had wanted to see of Harry in the seventh book, him as a "protector" of muggles. There was also something about how a prisoner had bombs on him that seemed a little odd... Rolling Eyes But overall, very well done.

My congratulations to all of you, I enjoyed reading them all, and look forward to your contributions to other contests in the future.
Captain Fertile
Im not a huge fan of the Harry Potter books but I must sy that these entries were all interesting to read and showed some wonderful imagination.

Writing is one of the most difficult things to do well but all the entries were fun to read and interesting to see the various ideas coming out.

Well done to all and well done on running the competiton.
Genesiz
Now that the contest is over, any clues on who the judges were. I know it isn't really that important, but i'm just curious as to know who judged the entries.
ainieas
Hmm...even i'd like to know who were the judges. =)
tidruG
I'll consult with the other judges and then make a decision on announcing their names Smile
And you're all welcome to read and reply in this thread.

Like I said, I am truly impressed by the imagination and the creativity of the entrants. I think there was a thread about whether creativity is dead, and I think this contest could certainly prove them wrong.

Here are some of my personal opinions:

LukeakaDanish - really touched upon some modern issues. He has highlighted how people wish something (even magic) can be used to fight terrorists. I think this entry is very relevant to today.

Genesiz - wrote a really nice last chapter. I wouldn't have been very surprised if this chapter or one like it was used in the real Harry Potter book. I was happy to see Harry going back to school to complete his NEWTs.

truespeed - His entry was probably the one which impressed me the most! While reading it for the first time, I thought that my PM explaining to him about all the dead and living characters had gone to waste. I also initially thought that Ron went mad while fighting the remaining Death Eaters or something. But the end was what explained it all to perfection. This entry was truly unique in how much imagination it showed, and coming from someone who has never read or seen anything much to do with Harry Potter, I feel it deserves a special mention.

ainieas - wrote an entry that very clearly showed how much effort he put into it. He divided his entry into parts, and each transcended easily into the next. A lot of conventional Harry Potter ideas/feelings were carried through, and it made me wonder whether the next one in the series would be called "Teddy Lupin and the Heir of Slytherin"

Good job done by all participants. I will be PMing you all over the next few days with your prizes and also with some of my personal critiques. I will get in touch with the judges and try to coax them into sending you some suggestions and constructive comments as well Smile
ainieas
tidruG wrote:
...it made me wonder whether the next one in the series would be called "Teddy Lupin and the Heir of Slytherin"

You know if there was nothing called copyright and i was allowed to continue with my storyline then i think at some point i'd be torn between making Teddy Lupin the first casualty, as a warning to the new Order of the Phoenix about the coming times; or letting him grow up into a werewolf with metamorphmagus qualities (don't ask me what they are yet! Wink ), befriending a lonely Slytherin girl and thereafter unleashing a reign of havoc, seven years in the making, undreamt even by the Dark Lord. Of course Teddy's the supporting cast, it will all be seen through the eyes of Heir.
Ah...maybe someday i'll be telling this story to my children! Smile
Rosanova
Hi there,

I've now been reading the all entries, and I really personally think that each has talent that they should be working on, just with a little change of the name of persons and places.

But LukeakaDanish does really have a point in his story, that I really think that could be used in a action movie version or a comic version of Harry Potter, but also cause of its actuality regarding the real world and the war against terror and violence generally.

I really personally looking forward to read the completed work... Smile

Great worked of the all entries, and keep on working on the talent... Smile

Cheers!
truespeed
I hope the next writing contest isnt an open house one,whereby anyone can write about anything. Although i dont think it should be as narrow in scope as the final book of harry potter,i do think it should have a set brief.

Perhaps you could start everyone with the first paragraph of a story,and from the same starting point,see where everyone ends up.
tidruG
There are various things I'm working on right now ... various thoughts.
They won't be so narrow in scope, but certainly not too open! :)

I'm thinking of just going ahead and running a contest right here on the forums. Entries will be via PM to me, but it will just create too much work for me, especially at a time when college is really demanding. If you want to help with the Writing Contest Project, you could sign up at http://www.frihost.broadkast.net/forums/ and help us code the contest. Tell your friends.
Genesiz
I don't know much about coding something like this, but i'd be happy to judge the entries if you did it on a pm/email basis.

That's if you want me to of course.
Hogwarts
Wow, all the entries are good Smile

I personally liked Genesiz' (Is that the right place to use an apostrophe? Blah) the most, as I think he uses an excellent choice of words and it is what I think should have happened normally (With the exclusion of massive plot twists, although they'd need to be really well done) Smile

Truespeeds was good, too. It certainly would have been an amazing twist at the end of the book, and as has been previously said, would definitely support a new series (How well, I'm not sure). Could have been spell-checked though Razz

ainieas was good in terms of storyline, actually, however I do think that it was too much stuff crammed into the one chapter. Word choice was good, though Smile

Additionally, the reason that you stereotype "Heir" as masculine is that the feminine version of the word is "Heiress" Wink
Flakky
When I read about the contest I first though that there would be a lot of Frih involved. Well there is but when I saw we needed to write a story I thought like damn, I need to practice my English Razz Harry Potter books are in many languages and object names and character names are just translated and can't easily be translated back to English, in other words, not everybody knew the name of Dumbledore for example, but did knew the name in their language.

Well too bad that there were only 4 competitors but I am glad they made quality so congrats winners and Admins Very Happy
truespeed
tidruG wrote:
There are various things I'm working on right now ... various thoughts.
They won't be so narrow in scope, but certainly not too open! Smile

I'm thinking of just going ahead and running a contest right here on the forums. Entries will be via PM to me, but it will just create too much work for me, especially at a time when college is really demanding. If you want to help with the Writing Contest Project, you could sign up at http://www.frihost.broadkast.net/forums/ and help us code the contest. Tell your friends.

I think if your busy with college perhaps now isnt the time to be thinking of coding something as complicated as you suggest on broadkast forums,maybe for now a simple form submit will do like was used in the harry potter contest.
pashmina
Wow the winner really has something good in his writing..
i like this writing skills and he is creative too// goo job
i really enjoyed reading them all.
nivinjoy
Congratulations and best wishes for all the winners....All the entries are excellent and keep doing well....
tidruG
truespeed wrote:
I think if your busy with college perhaps now isnt the time to be thinking of coding something as complicated as you suggest on broadkast forums,maybe for now a simple form submit will do like was used in the harry potter contest.
Yes, I could do that as a temporary measure. I'll think something up over this weekend. However, I have some important tests in college next week, and I probably won't have enough time to work on anything important (at least, I should ideally not).
filet
congrat ainieas, Genesiz ,
truespeed-
Quote:
"My names Nurse Rowling,Joanne Rowling"
"Nice to meet you Joanne"
"Nice to meet you Harry"

Hehe J rowling met harry potter...
, LukeakaDanish
Quote:
"We know you have planted nuclear bombs around Britain. Tell me all their locations."

Potter as the next Superman..saving the world
Ghost900
I havn't read any of the Harry Potter books but I have seen one movie.

I think you all did very good but ainieas you did the best in my opinion.

Great Job ainieas, Genesiz, truespeed, and LukeakaDanish. Very Happy
ainieas
Ghost900 wrote:
I think you all did very good but ainieas you did the best in my opinion.

Great Job ainieas, Genesiz, truespeed, and LukeakaDanish. Very Happy

I guess I'm saying for all four of us when i say - thanks and much appreciated!
linkin
tidruG wrote:
Sorry for taking so long to announce the results. I was busy with some things that one would generally group under "Real Life".

Anyway, the results are in, finally.
There were (only) 4 entries.
In decreasing order of marks, they are:

1. ainieas - 800 FRIH$
2. Genesiz - 600 FRIH$
3. truespeed - 400 FRIH$
4. LukeakaDanish - 200 FRIH$

At this point, I would like to say to the participants that the scores were really close. Out of a total of 300 marks, the point difference between 1st and 2nd place entries was just 6 points!.

All the entries were extremely imaginative and creative, and the lack of quantity (only 4 entries) was definitely made up by the quality!

Good job to all the participants. I will probably be sending PMs to you all on my personal thoughts about your entries, since I would like to refrain from making any comments here (so as not to influence our readers' opinions or comments on your entries).
I would like to thank all the participants for participating.

Your prizes will be sent to you shortly.
Cool
dhthaking
who were da judges? Wink
tidruG
2 others and I.
tidruG
4 members of Frihost.
Genesiz
And they were.

Come on tell us.
ainieas
Is this a mystery that we are going to put are wits together to solve??? At least give us a few clues mate as to who were the judges! Very Happy
tidruG
HINT 1:
I was one of them.

HINT 2:
The other 2 are Harry Potter fans.
truespeed
Not that it matters but its almost certainly mathiaus and Hogwarts.
nivre
there can only be four entris but the quality is too much...i think the judges have a hard time making their decision..
tidruG
truespeed wrote:

What makes you so sure? Razz
truespeed
tidruG wrote:
truespeed wrote:

What makes you so sure? Razz

Well hogwarts name comes from harry potter (plus he pm'ed me encouraging me to enter the contest,which indicates he had some involvment) and mathiaus because it was hosted on his site.
mathiaus
Simply because it was hosted on my site? Did anyone look at the domain? The biggest Harry Potter site on Frihost, featured site on the Frihost front page since time began, often in the top 10 in the directory. I'm also a mod and created the script used for the contest!

mathiaus thinks it should've been obvious and disappointed only truespeed worked it out.

I'll leave some nice and then constructive reviews for you all soon
mathiaus adds that to his list of things to do
tidruG
Yeah, I guessed they'd know you were one of the judges... but what makes truespeed so sure about Hogwarts?
truespeed
tidruG wrote:
Yeah, I guessed they'd know you were one of the judges... but what makes truespeed so sure about Hogwarts?

truespeed wrote:

Well hogwarts name comes from harry potter (plus he pm'ed me encouraging me to enter the contest,which indicates he had some involvment)
sjohnson
I am quite late in this, but I have only joined recently. Congratulations to the winners!

Will there be a contest in the future, perhaps? This sounds like fun and I'm sorry I missed it.
rvec
you can help with making the software for future contests. When that's done new contests will be organized.

http://www.frihost.com/users/tidruG/blog/vp-82579.html
indianinworld
Did not know that this was going on... otherwise, i would have checked in some thing. Laughing
rehana
[b]

Brother Who Were The Judge

and how much frih$ need For Server 2?