FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Java questions

umeshtangnu
Hi guys!

I'm new to Java, and I'd like to ask a few questions, mainly concerning network and hardware:

1) Is it possible to run an application on a machine on the network via your own machine?
i.e. If there is a certain application installed on all machines, can I run that application on any specific machine on the network from my own machine? (via Java application of course!)

2) Is it possible to access CPU usage, memory usage and other hardware stats?

Could you also advise what sections of the JDK I should look at! So I can do some research!

That's pretty much all! Hope you can help!

Thanks!
dirkvb
I'm not a pro in JAVA but I thought you can NOT do something on the local computer.
You can't remove files, save files or activate files.

This is what JAVA makes it so safe to use, you don't have lots of risk of getting a virus because they can't place it on you computer.

I'm not very sure but I think you have to use something else as JAVA.
AftershockVibe
Firstly, I'm assuming you're talking about Java here not JavaScript which is entirely different! (which is what I think dirkvb thought you meant).

The answer to both your questions is yes however it's not going to be a simple task in any language.
For the networking part you'll need to use sockets and implement a very basic protocol for the programs to communicate. You also need to think about things like how they know about the other computers.

For the system stats you can use various APIs on Windows. For linux you can probably just read from a file somewhere (if you can find it) or read from the output of one of the command line programs (which is what I'd do because it's easy).