FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

IT jobs.

Srs2388
I was wondering how i could go about getting an IT job... I would like to work with computers because i learn about them easy and i already know quiet a bit and I am willing to be trained and go to school... I have all of that but i have no resources how would I do it?
I want of my workplace so bad right now....
but i need to go to school to wotk with computers
teko
well it depends what you want to do in IT. What exactly do you know now?

Do you want to get into:

design,
Networking,
Testing,
Support
System Adminstration
Databases

What exactly? I would suggest if you haven´t started to install linux or a similar unix like operating system on your pc. Set up a webserver, mail server, file server, database server on it. Get another cheap pc or pc´s and network them together. You could install one as router and learn about routing or install a firewall and learn about this.

Otherwise start off with a computer language like c or java, get one of the beginners books and start learning programming.

Another way would be to get involved in one of the many open source projects that are out there. Get involved in a project that interests you go to sourceforge.net and see a list of the opensource projects out there.

Maybe then try and get a job in IT support not the most exciting but you could get some experience to get you into another job.

Just some ideas for you
Srs2388
Thanks.... design has my interest too... i can use mac os x and windows and kind of can use linux a little... i'll install a distro on a spare hard drive... I am going to try to go to ASU for that... file for a pell grant. I am desperate to get out of my dead end job.
I'm willing to go to school for a long time lol.
i bought a cheap HP 128MB of ram lol... which linux would work well with resources like that?
teko
Mac OS X is a unix based system so thats good, plus its a good development platform too.

well you could install a minimal linux system with 128 MB of RAM although if you´re running x-windows then it might be a bit sluggish. Google for linux on low-end systems. But you could just use as a server and try setting up a LAMP server (linux apache mysql php)

Ubuntu which is a user friend linux distro and easy to get up and running have a version called xubuntu for running on low end pc´s. This would be good place to start. Probably best to avoid running window managers like kde or gnome which may cause you´re system to run sluggish.

However if you want to learn more about linux, you could try using gentoo or linux from scratch. There is a steep learning curve at the beginning but its worth it as you really learn the ins and outs of running a linux system.

after you have all three up and running you could try networking them together.

Good luck with it, its good that you´re doing something about it, lifes to short to be stuck in a job you dont like
ArmenianUnit
Yeah, Im Still Im School And Im into the IT career...
My Way is to become a proj Manager =]
otiscom
You must firstly decide on a route to the end.
In other words what IS it you want to be?
tikitait
I used to be a IT Engineer, Did it for 10 Years.

Best thing to do is go into Web Design or something as hardware engineer's I find there are toomany of them.

Before year 2000 it was a good area to work in but then loads of people decided to get on the band wagon so to speak and now there are hardware engineers all over the place.
urbanbuddha
#1 thing in ANY IT field is to gain experience. Try looking for some co-op experience or internships, it'll help your resume and land the job you want.

A nice tip that I found was look at all the job search sites and see what employers are looking for and follow those specifications. The downside with this is that the language they require is something you might not want to learn or enjoy doing.
ZzZ_AluCarD_ZzZ
I am currently student in an engineering school and I'm doing my last year's placement. My mission is to change and improve the different methods in the IT service, of a medium company. It's a lot of work, as it very interesting and I am learning a lot of things in project's management.
corrupt
I agree the best thing to start with is experience. I don't know what country your in, but over here in New Zealand most people tend to get a entry level certificate in something such as cisco's CCNA, microsoft's MCSE or A+ Net+ etc...
cloudship
IT changes too fast, there's a joke that two engineers slept for thousands of years on accident. The mechanical engineer got up and went to work the next day. And the IT engineer got up and found himself unemployed totally. Think about it before you actually started it.
teko
so what do people think with the gloabl downturn coming will it effect IT jobs? Hopefully it wont be as bad as the 2000 tech crash
tjasbury
There are lots of free tools and resources out there. It's very possible to train yourself and start a business. Whether someone will hire you depends a lot on what you are capable of doing when you walk in the door.

One thing to remember is the best developers continually pick up new skills and technologies. They generally don't require formal training to do this. Wink
moldgame
Sunt o gramada de site-uri unde puteti gasi de lucru in orice domeniu nu numai IT !
De obicei acestea sunt cele mai multe !
ovidiuo
moldgame wrote:
Sunt o gramada de site-uri unde puteti gasi de lucru in orice domeniu nu numai IT !
De obicei acestea sunt cele mai multe !

Moldgame want it to say that there are a lot of websites where you can find work in any field not only in IT. Usually the IT jobs are more spread.
akocharry
i am currently 4ht year in college . soon i will be graduating as an IT personnel.
im just wondring how, what will be my future as an IT graduate.
i know that there's a lot of humor about the IT world.
there's a lot of programmers around the world today.
and with fast growing technology today, how can i adopt to it after 5 years with my previous knowledge.

im bothered what my future will be.....
please help me.........
im nervous....im looking at my future as an IT personnel....
amperx
akocharry wrote:
i am currently 4ht year in college . soon i will be graduating as an IT personnel.
im just wondring how, what will be my future as an IT graduate.
i know that there's a lot of humor about the IT world.
there's a lot of programmers around the world today.
and with fast growing technology today, how can i adopt to it after 5 years with my previous knowledge.

im bothered what my future will be.....
please help me.........
im nervous....im looking at my future as an IT personnel....

dont worry, just groom you portfolio, do tests, samples or actual systems, be it web based or standalone, thats how i got my job, dont be nervous, if you can do it, then have the confidence Very Happy
Kelcey
Going to college makes it easier. But it certainly isn't necessary.
Ghost Rider103
Srs2388 wrote:
Thanks.... design has my interest too... i can use mac os x and windows and kind of can use linux a little... i'll install a distro on a spare hard drive... I am going to try to go to ASU for that... file for a pell grant. I am desperate to get out of my dead end job.
I'm willing to go to school for a long time lol.
i bought a cheap HP 128MB of ram lol... which linux would work well with resources like that?

If you're interested in Design, then like any job, your best bet is to begin now on your own. Sure going to school is great, but what is even better is if you can get a nice head start.

Just start doing tuts on the type of design you want to learn. Modeling, Web Design, etc.

I once had an art class I had to take, which covered all sorts of arts, including design. We started using Photoshop, and I had already had 2 years of experience of Photoshop, and that is working at is almost every single day. Funny thing, I knew more about the program than the teacher did, and she was surprised to see I was using layers, and a lot of them.

If you go to some class that covers just Photoshop and other similar design programs, then I doubt you will know more about the program than the teacher does, but if you start before you go to school, there is a very good chance you will be one of the best in the class on it.

Hope this helps, good luck.
Bluedoll
A job in I.T. ? by Bluedoll . . .

I think the term I.T. information technology is so broad. What is that?

It is like saying, “I work with computers.”

So what do you do?

What if someone said, “I use the phone.”

Ok, are you a receptionist, a lawyer, a ceo or do you work in call center?

The illusion of using computers! If you wanted to make a web site for example and your only thought is just make one - that it is so out there, virtually.

What is the web site about? What is it to accomplish? These questions have to be asked before you can put a title on it. Unfortunately general short form lanquage is the kind of language some professionals and companies use. It is just so vague. I agree with the good comments you have gotten thus far.

They are really worth reading.

Good luck in your career choices!
elephant03
It's up to you to decide whether you are really sure of putting time and frustrations to learn computer programming. I think it is best if you learn all the programming languages because in a real world situation, anything is likely to occur for example; If a person asks you to program a code you didn't know about. I think studying all of the progamming languages that are out there now can help you in a situation where you are most likely to struggle and knowing all of the programming languages can help you go pass the struggle and make it a lot easier for you. I recommend you go to a college. Pick classes that only fits you needs. Don't pick the class which is not going to help you assist with your future.
Pepperfan
Right now to get an IT job you need experience... To get the experience you need a job.

The trick is to get some experience at "any cost". Internships are good free lancing if you must... Check with local charities they can often use low/no cost IT Support.

Charles
teko
scriptlance.com could be a good way of getting some experience too and maybe earn a few bucks doing it as well, while building up a reputation for yourself. Also then you can show this experience to a future employer
tippsoftware
I think that you could study and learn everything that like you about an IT field. However, without experience, its difficult to get a dream job (i mean a great company like Google or Yahoo). Experiment and invest time, that your effort could be rewarded.

Bye, guys.
Cddhesh
IT is very vast field, it is no more a strict programming field.Greatest advantage of IT is that you can join it with any other fields because computers have become a necessity in all fields.
Deciding what to choose depends on how you look at the world and how the world is behaving.
If you have any innovative idea which can thrust any business or work,you can implement it and become rich in a day or you can look out to see for what demand is there, like Database management, Networking etc etc.
well i hear these days from many people, that nothing has left to develop.To some extent it is correct, but we can have always a more efficient way to develop it.So though you are in IT field what will help you to grow is your logical knowledge and innovative ideas.
Cddhesh
IT is very vast field, it is no more a strict programming field.Greatest advantage of IT is that you can join it with any other fields because computers have become a necessity in all fields.
Deciding what to choose depends on how you look at the world and how the world is behaving.
If you have any innovative idea which can thrust any business or work,you can implement it and become rich in a day or you can look out to see for what demand is there, like Database management, Networking etc etc.
well i hear these days from many people, that nothing has left to develop.To some extent it is correct, but we can have always a more efficient way to develop it.So though you are in IT field what will help you to grow is your logical knowledge and innovative ideas.
airh3ad
I want to work also in a IT company but its hard to apply here in our country they ask if you have experience and certificate that you comply being and IT. what should be the qualification of and IT jobs?
Covert-Waffles
I wouldnt recommend going straight into an IT job, there are many people with the same idea, and you could find yourself jobless in the end.

What I am doing is I am double majoring, Computer Science and Criminal Justice, this allows me to go the Computer Science route, the Criminal Justice route, or mix them both together.

Try thinking about something else you like other then an IT job, and see if you can mix the two.
lucian0127
@Airhead

In our company,
4 yrs grad.
2 yrs experience
18yrs old above.

These are the basic qualifications on our company...
Covert-Waffles
See, the problem with requirements is that, sometimes it blocks you from getting a job at all. Having to have 2 years required experience at every job, makes it so you cant ever get a job lol.....

Its kind of redundant...
bjornhoogeveen
Nice topic Smile

I want to become a IT master too. I don't also know not yet what I exactly want to do. I now finished my exams, and start this summer with my new school. They told me my study count four years:

First year: you get lesson from every IT subject a little
Second year: you get still lessons in every IT subject, but you could also specialize if you like.
Third year: a half year you do a course, a half year you have school. You have to choose a subject from IT.
Forth year: a half year you do a course, a half year you have school. Here is your school just one subject. You have now choosen your final subject you want to do!

That is what it is here looks like (netherlands).
Rothschild
In Japan, IT jobs are very very hard and bad job.
So IT jobs are not popular in Japan.
jilbs
There's not much qualified IT Professionals today. its like 2 out of 10 IT graduates can only be qualified. It really hard to find a job if you don't have experience related to IT not unless you have CCNA, MCSE, MCP, A+, N+ or any related IT certificates.
lucian0127
Covert-Waffles wrote:
See, the problem with requirements is that, sometimes it blocks you from getting a job at all. Having to have 2 years required experience at every job, makes it so you cant ever get a job lol.....

Its kind of redundant...

Yup but some companies comes with the experience, because i didn't finish my secondary yet but i have a job as a website developer Smile...