FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

I hate Vista.

hippiegirl70
Windows Vista is way too complicated. And they block you out of everything. You can't use any of the old tricks to fix you computer! What were they thinking? Anyone agree with me?
Jaan
If you tweak it enough, it'll work for you.

You can turn off that 'blocking'. Just search around, I'm sure you'll find it. With a bit of tweaking I'm sure you won't be disappointed.
fadirocks
Laughing so far I don't have to deal with that and if anybody has questions about it I would tell i got no clue hehe Very Happy
Kamo
I was installing this junk on one pc few weeks ago..what a nighmare. Everything was missplaced - i had to learn the whole sysytem again - it took some time to tweak it the way i wanted. One problem thst left was the graphics drivers - that piece of shit didn't accept drivers from cd, newest drivers from the net and even those from windows update site..thank god it was pc for 11 year old girl...
Gushe
Vista..
At the beginning there were too many buggs..
Now it takes too much memory.. and is Way to expensive; and too commercial..
-> They just made the directX 10 to sell better; all future games are made With DirectX10, so you need Vista.. and the fervert gamers will buy this..
Though there are already cracks for this.. Xp still owns!

(absolutely now, cuz you can get aeroglass on Xp too with some tweaks Smile)
tony
Gushe wrote:
Vista..
-> They just made the directX 10 to sell better; all future games are made With DirectX10, so you need Vista.. and the fervert gamers will buy this..

there is an unofficial dx10 for xp too if you google around enough. but yeah...i just stick w linux - does everything for me that i need.
Gushe
I'm planning of making an extra partition for Linux, just to try, and perhaps because I can't get viruses on Linux Very Happy
Kamo
I can't spare a partition for linux so i'm playing with linux in pc emulation software. There is no other system after xp for me than linux...

If they pay me than maybe i'll think of using vista.
erlendhg
Jaan wrote:
You can turn off that 'blocking'. Just search around, I'm sure you'll find it.

Yes, you go to Control Panel => User Accounts (if that is what it is called in English) => User Accounts => Deactivate User Account Control

Gushe wrote:
Vista..

At the beginning...?
For me, Vista IS one big bug.
Often, when I turn the pc on after hibernation, explorer hangs, and you can't even move a file.
And Vista is so totally un-compatible with everything. Don't know what Microsoft has been thinking.

(Don't misunderstand me for beeing a Windows-hating guy. After the release of Service Pack 2, I have thought pretty good of xp. It is for me, nice and stable, and just what I need - it was though a total mess before the first SP release!)

I really hope Microsoft releases a SP for Vista soon. The only reason that I use Vista, is that it is required on the "school laptops" we have got for use in school. At home I use xp for school work, fun (gaming) and developing.

Gushe wrote:

Yup!
Mememe
Gushe wrote:
Vista..

Yeah, getting a skin is the easy way.

I also hater Vista. It takes up too much RAM, really expensive, and there's heaps of bugs.

Hmm...I'll just wait a couple of years to see how much it has been fixed. Wink
Whong
Mememe wrote:
Gushe wrote:
Vista..

Yeah, getting a skin is the easy way.

I also hater Vista. It takes up too much RAM, really expensive, and there's heaps of bugs.

Hmm...I'll just wait a couple of years to see how much it has been fixed. Wink

I may be wrong, but I've heard that Machintosh is really great. I haven't tried Vista and I think I'm not going to even try. Maybe Mac would be better. Confused
Paulo_baga
vista had many bugs Sad
djclue917
Paulo_baga wrote:
vista had many bugs Sad

I beg to oppose. Vista has many bugs. Very Happy
LostOverThere
djclue917 wrote:
Paulo_baga wrote:
vista had many bugs Sad

I beg to oppose. Vista has many bugs. Very Happy

I beg to oppose. Vista is many bugs.

They're no software packages, just more crapware. Seriously, Vista is a disaster on all levels, no wonder more people are moving to Linux or downgrading to XP.
asim
lol...... no need begging for useless things
Mememe
Yup, have to agree, I hate Vista. I'm sticking to XP, since my computer won't even have the right specs to have Vista.
azuwis
me to. I haven't touch vista yet. Maybe I will try it one or two years later.
frozenhead
I backtracked to XP when I found out that Vista is not stable when it was released. It takes time to fix bugs to make the OS (Vista) "somewhat" stable so it's not a good time to upgrade yet until it is fixed.
DarkPhoenix
I hate Windows too, its the worst OS.
I prefer give money to Linus and him team than give money to Bill Gates
soulery
I like windows, but Macs are my favroite
Indyan
True. Vista is annoying. It requires a lot of work to make it behave the way you want it to.
But, its biggest drawback is its performance. Every new OS is supposed to be faster than the previous one. But Vista on the other hand is slower!
faund
vista is gorgeous but it's also hardware eater.
it eat everything, CPU,harddisk,memory...
I am afraid of this because I have no hardware upgrad plan now a time. so I still use XP.
ProtoMan
I haven't used Vista before but my brother is using it. I have to agree that Vista has awesome layout, a lot of cool new features but on the other hand, a lot of bugs and stupid "features" it has. That is the main reason why I still stick with my Window Vista. I don't care about the future softwares' compatibilities with XP, I will not install Vista.
doppleganger
VISTA SUX

yesterday inspite of telling my friend not to install vista he went ahead and committed the blunder and today he calls me and tells me that he formatted his hard drive

and do u know there was only one thing which i could do and that was Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Agent ME
Anyone want to give a reason Vista sucks? The only credible point I've seen in this topic was that it's a cpu/memory eater, which it is, but if you have good hardware that's not a problem. About stability - my computer hasn't ever crashed... If you're crashing a lot you probably have buggy drivers.
LostOverThere
Agent ME wrote:
Anyone want to give a reason Vista sucks? The only credible point I've seen in this topic was that it's a cpu/memory eater, which it is, but if you have good hardware that's not a problem. About stability - my computer hasn't ever crashed... If you're crashing a lot you probably have buggy drivers.

Let me think;

1) Lots of hardware incompatibilities
    2) Lack of Drivers for Old and New Hardware
    3) The Redesigned Start Menu sucks
    4) The Interface gets in the way
    5) Security is still a massive issue
    6) Lots of Windows XP software wont work on Vista
    7) Linux runs Windows 95 software better then Vista
    8) Longer Reboot then XP
    9) Resource Hog - Go Twice as Fast with XP! Or Four Times as Fast with Linux
    10) No "Open With" when you right click a file

Just there are 10 good reasons why Vista smells.
Bones
I agree with most of you as far as Vista being a resource hog, although the driver incompatibility issue really doesn't have much to do with Microsoft. Think about it...does HP want to spend the time and money to develop new drivrs or do they want you to have to buy a new printer?
twinkle99
Idea After all the comparison taken against Vista and XP. The Winner is XP.

I Prefer all of you to Stuck with XP because Vista Sux.

XP Interface is simple comparison then vista

Even new user can control XP. But he cannot control Vista.
Some advance features of Vista is very trouble making to new users.

Vista needs more memory to run comparison to XP

Wait for Next OS that Microsot launches...
because who knows what will come, another XP or Dangerous Vista Arrow
billgertz
The only thing about Vista is its price.. Its expensive here.. waaa.. ill just stick with my XP for the meantime.. Very Happy
eznet
I think that by far the worst parts of Vista were its irritating nagging for approval for simple operations ie
Quote:
"are you sure you want to do that?","Are you sure you are sure?","Are you sure you are sure you are sure?""
and its ability to make a new computer with "new" hardware run like a 9 year old Win98 box.

As the years roll on, and new faster hardware is developed, there is no reason that a machine should run slower than its predecessors. Sure, software advancement comes partially at the increased utilization of the available machine, but Vista is not 4 times the OS as XP but the computer on which I am running it is 4X the machine (2.4ghz Core2Duo) I originally installed XP on - why with Vista does it run 1/4 of what it should (i.e. about the same as the 1ghz with XP).

Crazy thing is, I got fed up and decided to bite the bullet and learn how to overcome the inconveniences and irritations that comes with Linux adoption and I have never been happier. I feel like my computer works for me instead of me working for my computer. Also, Ubuntu 7.10 with all the frills (Compiz, Emerald, AWN, Etc) runs so much faster on this machine than Vista did. An example of this is boot up takes 26 seconds to be at a usable GUI windows interface with Ubuntu... vs. the 97 seconds that it takes to do the same in Vista... and Ubuntu looks prettier while doing it...
aningbo
i will say go for vista... far better in terms of graphics and better security. all you have to do is 'get used to it'

many will appreciate when they know what's it like to be using vista. yes i admit, hardware is a lot of a problem... i'm facing the same problem lol
eznet
aningbo wrote:
... far better in terms of graphics and better security. ...

How so? A couple of visual effects that could have been added to XP with an aftermarket mod... The video tech is the same, so really, there is not technically a way that the graphics could be "better"... maybe flashier effects, but is AERO really worth the footprint and resource demand - not to mention it is kinda an "one trick dog".... If you want to go for a pretty desktop then check out Linux with Compiz and Emerald... it BLOWS ANYTHING VISUAL IN VISTA OUT OF THE WATER... no question, no debate. (note: I am not making the claim that Linux is anything better/worse/etc compared to Windows... I am saying that the VISUAL EFFECTS of COMPIZ blow VISTA's visuals out of the water...)

Also, it has been shown that security in Vista is comparable to XP.... same security vulnerabilities and same risk of infection...

source 1
source 2
source 3
Source Whatever you want

IMHO, I have a free legal copy of Vista sitting here... My computer, from which I am writing you from, is running Windows XP and Debian.... Summary: I would rather use a 7 year old OS than the free and working copy of vista sitting in my desk.... because i-t s-u-c-k-s. I have been an avid computer user and tech enthusiast for 15 years, I hold a BS in Applied Computer Science (yea, I know... big wup.... just credentials so that this is not just 'some uninformed opinion') and basically, I have a brain not as-so-much influcened by hype and instead rely on rational logic for decision making and from this combination can say with relative certainty that Vista isn't worth the cost of upgrading... Vista is 'Windows ME 2007'.

Even ol Bill knows....
simplyw00x
I wish that people had a slightly more thoughtful critique of vista than "None of my lame workarounds to fix my computer works". Try fixing things the right way --- that process doesn't vary much even across OSs. But yeah.
Vista sucks.
You bought it.
Volenti non fit injurias.
Flakky
There are no downsides whatsoever compared to XP, only a couple of things you should disable. Furthermore there are loads of useful features and junk added. So have Vista if you have spare time to make some changes and have some GB's less workspace, altough average HDD sizes increase anyway this would'nt be a problem.
simplyw00x
Quote:
There are no downsides whatsoever compared to XP

Apart from:

• A 'security' system that makes the user feel more secure without acutally increasing security
  • A 'security' system that most people just find annoying
  • A pointless update to WinForms that totally breaks backwards-compatability
  • Desktop compositing that munches system resources for basically no usability gain (unlike, say, compiz or OSX)
  • Completely inexcusable architecture changes requiring the re-writing of most device drivers...
  • ... which has yet to be done ...
  • ...so lots of hardware doesn't work yet.

Quote:
only a couple of things you should disable

Like what? What can you disable that makes Vista at most as difficult-to-use as XP?

Quote:
So have Vista if you have spare time to make some changes and have some GB's less workspace

If you have spare time to make some changes then choose linux. Boxed OS software is meant to carry some sort of guarantee that it's packaged in its most-usable state, not that it's a starting point for sweeping changes to try and make it bearable.

Quote:
altough average HDD sizes increase anyway this would'nt be a problem.

Wow. Do you work for Microsoft? Or Seagate? If there's more HDD space on the market, we should be able to store more stuff. Is this such an alien concept? The size of a basic text file hasn't changed much over the years, and the requirements for what windows should do haven't either. Why does the OS size keep increasing?
eznet
Next someone will claim that it doesn't matter that Vista sodomizes the system's resources since processors and memory is getting cheaper...

As simplyw00x indicated, most of what Vista has added in the way of resource demand gives little to nothing back to the user experience in way of function and benefit. Vista hogs without providing beneficial performance or usability as a result of this excessive utilization of resources.

Again, if pondering upgrading to Vista from XP, stick with XP.... While you are pondering, consider a quality alternative OS such as Ubuntu, Slackware, Debian, Fedora or INSERT_*NIX_VAR_OF_CHOICE
ammonkc
...So is Vista the new WindowsME? I remember my reaction to windowsME being about the same as it is to vista. Its seems like microsoft wants to forget that windowsME even happened. I wonder it it'll be the same for Vista in a couple of years.
simplyw00x
Quote:
...So is Vista the new WindowsME?

Nobody cared about ME, whereas people actively hate vista. So no Smile
ammonkc
simplyw00x wrote:
Quote:

Very good point. But I did hate ME. I don't use vista because I switched to a mac a while ago, but I need to support a few vista machines at work and that makes me hate it even more.
nplong
I don't like Window Vista too.
It take a lot of resource (RAM, HDD, Cache ...) to cause my computer slower.
Vista theme is beauty, but it doesn't is friendly OS for a new user with a lot of window notice...
Rolling Eyes
And now I waiting for Window 7
Hope it will be a best OS ^^
ammonkc
I wouldn't hold out for windows 7. It took microsoft way too long to push out the disaster that is vista. I would just switch to linux or Mac if I was you. you should definitely try out ubuntu and see how you like it. I'm willing to bet that you would get much better performance out of the hardware you already have with ubuntu. If you don't want to commit to Linux just try out a live cd or run it in VMware for now. Or you could do what I did, and just buy a mac.
achowles
I'm hoping to avoid Vista altogether and go on to Vienna once I'm done with XP.
Sphaerenkern
With all these problems, I think it's very shabby of Microsoft to make DX10 only available for Vista. It's just unfair that you should have to use this crappy system when you want to play new games - especially when drivers missing. Like, you _could_ have DX10, if you _had_ the drivers...
I'm glad that stuff like Crysis works with DX9, too and that there is... software to bring DX10 to XP. I'm not a gamer, I'm not even using Windows, but this DX10-thing is just a total shitty move of Microsoft.
silverdown
I got a vista laptop and installed XP Home right over it and it works fine. I played around with vista for a few hours and still had a problem connect to the internet. If I had time I'd sit down and try and figure it out like I did with windows XP years ago. My friend got Vista and knows how to work it fine,I guess it depends on if you really want XP or vista personally I'm a XP fan.
achowles
Sphaerenkern wrote:
With all these problems, I think it's very shabby of Microsoft to make DX10 only available for Vista. It's just unfair that you should have to use this crappy system when you want to play new games - especially when drivers missing. Like, you _could_ have DX10, if you _had_ the drivers...
I'm glad that stuff like Crysis works with DX9, too and that there is... software to bring DX10 to XP. I'm not a gamer, I'm not even using Windows, but this DX10-thing is just a total shitty move of Microsoft.

DX10 isn't really being used right now. Even Crysis barely made any use of it at all. Don't fall for Microsoft's marketing ploys. DX9 isn't obsolete yet. The only games to require DX10 are unsurprisingly from MS. Equally unsurprising is how they make no use of DX10 at all.

Yeah, sure in a couple of years it will be much more important to have DX10, but then we'll have Vienna or at least a seriously service packed version of Vista that's actually better than XP.
eznet
simplyw00x wrote:
Quote:

HA! ROTFLMAO!

ammonkc wrote:
I would just switch to linux or Mac if I was you. you should definitely try out ubuntu and see how you like it. I'm willing to bet that you would get much better performance out of the hardware you already have with ubuntu.

Ammonkc, I agree in part. I don't know that a Mac is the way to go - unless you want a Mac, that is. A Mac, although nice and similar to a PC now a days, is quite expensive when compared against most PCs. The price of cost is often an important one. Now, if money is not an issue and you want a pretty shiny easy to use computer, get a mac.
On Ubuntu, I agree completely. Try it, see if you like it. See if your computer works correctly with it; if it doesn't, make sure the problem is something within your scope of knowledge to fix. For a lot of hardware, Ubuntu works just about as good, if not better than most MS OSes. On some computers however, there are a lot of problems that require a lot of time and knowledge to fix. Most likely you will be the first of the two scenarios and will have few problems - Ubuntu/Debian has great hardware support. Just make sure before you decide. The LiveCD, as mentioned by ammonkc, is the best option to determine this. Booting virtually will not allow you to see hardware complications, as where the livecd will allow you to boot your hardware without installing anything. This will allow you to truly see if you are compatible.
Best of luck! I personally love Ubuntu. I am writing this post from my newest Ubuntu addition to my tech family : My new Quad Core, Dual SLI vide card Ubuntu monster Smile

Sphaerenkern wrote:
I think it's very shabby of Microsoft to make DX10 only available for Vista.

achowles wrote:
Don't fall for Microsoft's marketing ploys.

Amen.
M$ is BS over half the time... Check out the latest OpenGL renders compared against DirectX X and tell me that MS and Vista have something special with DirectxX10... Just another marketing ploy (I can't say it any better myself).
MS is all about the money... not so much about the real innovation ( I am not saying they never have been innovative, just not always). Vista will go the way of ME and Direct 10 will get rolled along into the next product... I am hoping that OpenGL gains more support and development and makes the proprietary DirectX crap to be shown for what it is... nothing special...
[/img]
cvkien
i'm have change from xp home to xp professional, and then from xp to windows vista. now i change to vista x64 ultimate. and it was fine with me. it was complicated if you started to use it. and if you keep blaming vista is s***s, then you will never know vista is easy to use. and it is actually can be tweak to be simplify, then it would become as simple as xp.
FunDa
I had problems installing some software in Vista, which used to install easily in XP.

It seems Vista wanted me to specify that the program needed Administrator permission.

i was not even able to install flash player on the Vista computer even after Right clicking and giving Administrator permission.

maybe all these permissions will prevent viruses, but shouldn't there be an easy way to give the permission too !!!
arbab
I also haaate Vista.Micsoroft created a lot of expections for their new operating system. They delayed the launch of Vista.
I was awaiting for the vista. And i thought it will be one of the best operating systems. But when i bought
it and installed it on my PC.I come to know that it is worst of its kind, Because
HIGH SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
DRIVER NOT AVAILABLE
SOFTWARE PROBLEMS (YOU HAVE TO BUY THEM AGAIN FOR THIS (UNIQUE) KIND OF OS)

In short vista really..........
D'Artagnan
I agree totally, a bunch of heavy visual themes wont catchme ...
but MS is trying to f**k up with us , look:

Windows XP to be discontinued in early 2008

Infoworld guys have started a petition to save windows XP

my question is what to do when things start poping Windows Vista Only (if any software developer is stupid enought...)
eznet
D'Artagnan wrote:
My question is what to do when things start poping Windows Vista Only (if any software developer is stupid enought...)

Good question. You know it will inevitably happen. Fortunately so far the only main company to be dumb enough to write specifically for Vista has been Microsoft, but you know that will change with time. I am hoping that the Vista replacement starts peeking it head before too much comes out for Vista so that developers write for it instead of Vista - but who knows...
Funny thing is, even with the titles MS has released Vista ony, notably Halo 2, were able to be cracked to be loaded on XP - not only hacked to run on XP, but with performance benefits as well!

I see a trend towards Free and Open Source Software (FOSS) development using open and free frameworks such as GTK+ and such. I, myself a Computer Science senior, find myself attracted to open technologies far more than closed proprietary windows technologies. I use Ubuntu as my primary OS and development in it could not be easier - something no so often said about developing for MS systems...

Only time will tell what the developers will do...
csoftdev
vista is very annoying to me too. it is slow and it chews up a lot of memory on my laptop. i have to disable some of its features to speed up my system. i am using my computer for some heavy and cpu intensive tasks and therefore such operating system is not really suitable for me. perhaps going back to xp is an option but i am switching to linux.
Boffel
Well, I got no problems with my vista for now...

It was also really easy to get used to it, so nope, no problems with that either.

So no problems here at all, and I can do exactly the same stuff as I can do on my XP.

Well, when I think about it, I had some problems with running some few programs in the start, but after I updated the drivers, everything worked just fine Laughing

So keep cool... Rolling Eyes Yeah!

-----

ehm... sry for editing so much, but I did see someone did say you should buy a mac if you should buy a new computer.

Just ignore posts like that, because on a mac the only thing you can do is playing around with adobe programs and surf on the net.

Its just not made for gamers and programers at all, so get a windows or linux instead.

Mac is nothing else then a big painting program. But yeah its good at painting, but nothing more...
zjosie729
I hate windows.
FriBogdan
Vista is a poor operating system. Windows XP it is very good at keeping those secrets in your computer (security) and it is fast. Maybe not to fast.. but if you put Windows XP on a machine that runs Vista... that computer will fly Smile).

Too bad that all the stores are selling their products with preinstalled Vista Neutral... many of today programs don't work without crashing on Vista (and if one of the programs cracks, Vista will search for a "solution" Smile) ... now this is hilarious).

"So no problems here at all, and I can do exactly the same stuff as I can do on my XP. "

So... why do i have to spend my money to do something 2 times slower (or even slower)? If i can do it on XP...