FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The Orange box. whos getting it or got it?

gibbo
I thought it was quite annoying that you had to wait for it to come out before you could buy the games individualy i think the orange box is primarely for a first time half-life to gamer, but i just wanted to buy half life 2 episode 2 and team fortress 2 seperate it was a shame to have to wait till the orange box came out but o well im going to buy episode 2 tomorrow cant wait.
Loghete
Well, it's pretty cheap for 5 games in one.. just consider Half Life 2 and Episode 1 as freebies. Very Happy

Anyway, I still have to wait a few days for the Orange Box, it isn't out in Europe yet.
killer911pt
who is developing it i thought it was valve but EA Games have it on their site will this be the step in EA using VAC Secure not PunkBuster?
Flakky
killer911pt wrote:
who is developing it i thought it was valve but EA Games have it on their site will this be the step in EA using VAC Secure not PunkBuster?
I've heared nothing about EA Games, only about Valve making it.

I won't get the Orange Box since I'm kinda low on cash but I would've bought it if I had the money. I dunno if it is already released in Europe. I sure hope so.
killer911pt
check out ea's website its plastered everywhere!
Loghete
Flakky wrote:
killer911pt wrote:
I've heared nothing about EA Games, only about Valve making it.

I won't get the Orange Box since I'm kinda low on cash but I would've bought it if I had the money. I dunno if it is already released in Europe. I sure hope so.

No, it's released on the 18th here.
PseudoKnight
Preordered it for $45 from Steam and haven't looked back. It's the best game purchase I've made in years. EP2: Two thumbs up! (even better than EP1) TF2: OMGZ I don't have enough thumbs! (worth the wait and better than most hoped for) Portal: Huh. This game just ate my thumbs. (I expected it to be good, but it still surprised me how good it was)

I've already put 11 hours into Ep2, 11 hours into Portal, and something well over 40 hours into TF2... and they're ALL top notch games. The whole thing is ranked quite high on metacritic. If that isn't worth $45, I don't know what is.
andy26
i know that EA have something to do with it as iv seen it on the trailer hosted on the steam store
PseudoKnight
EA manufactures and distributes the boxed copies at retail stores. They had nothing to do with the funding or development of the game. In fact, you can avoid them altogether by purchasing the game through Steam. They won't get a penny.
gibbo
How long do you think it will take for half-life 2 episode 2 to go a bit cheaper? because i think i may wait till it drops to $20 then buy it from steam then because im in uk it will be about 14.
indie_hall
I don't have it but a friend does, so I've played it. Portal is &*$#ing fabulous!

He's not moved on to Team Fortress yet so I've not gotten any feedback on it. Half-Life 2 is what it is, and that's all I can say.

There's a great vid from the Escapist at http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/zeropunctuation/2541-Zero-Punctuation-The-Orange-Box
Packfan104L4
Already bougfht it. It was the best 50 bucks I ever spent. Actually it was only 45 since I preordered it through Steam without any problems whatsoever.
Ghengis
Even shopping the four-dollar-PS2 section of your local used game store, you can't find more value for 45 bucks. Portal alone is worth 30, IMHO. TF2 is great, though a bit of a disappointment -- guess I expected more "newness" after 10 years' wait. I haven't even gotten around to the Episodes yet, I've been so busy enjoying the rest. This should easily carry me up through Super Mario Galaxy (and possibly quite a ways beyond...)

If your PC can handle it, buy the game. Even if you already have some of the stuff, they let you "gift" it to somebody else. I have a voucher for HL2, but I don't have any friends with a beefy enough PC to play it on. They're all console gamers... d'oh!
ForceRun
Any PC can run these games it just wouldn't look as great on a low end rig.
TF2 is the best game so far, very fun, plays great, and team based. I have played at two Lans and have had a great time with it so far.

Portal is fun, but only took me two hours to play through, if you get good at it you can beat the whole game in 30 min. But it is a fun game too.

HL Ep. 2 was fun, it felt mostly more of the same and 5 hours later you done to never play it again. It also did have some new play modes that were challanging.

Overall after the quick play through on Portal and Ep. 2, TF2 is the only game that has replayablity, but it is diffently worth the $45 bucks.
andy26
All i really want is the half-life 2 episode 2 and team fortress 2 i think i may consider portal though.
Ghengis
Andy, you *owe* it to yourself to play Portal. Your brain will thank you.

As for playing on "any" PC, you at least need a decent-as-of-2004 3D card, and that rules out (at least) a whole lot of laptops.
Vladalf
Here is a gamespot review for the PC version: http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/halflife2episode2ob/index.html?tag=result;img;1
ForceRun
Dudes it is worth geting, only cost $45, you get five games (most PC Games cost $50 for only one game, Halo 3 collectors[super suckers edition] cost my friend $140), and TF2 is more than worth the price alone.
Ghengis
Actually, and I can't believe I'm saying this (I got a t-shirt back in 1998 when the game was *supposed* to come out), TF2 isn't the best value in that box. You can buy Half-Life 1 for a song (I think it's 10 bucks on Steam), and get TFC for free. It's a bit more complex learning to use their grenade system, but there's really not a whole lot of difference otherwise, except of course that TF2 is much prettier. I love TF2, and have a blast playing it, but frankly they didn't really innovate at all. What's there is really tightly tuned and fun to play, but it isn't original.
PseudoKnight
There's actually quite a bit of features that are original in TF2, whether you choose to see it or not. You throw in the art direction and voice acting and you have a quality product that makes TFC look like dirt. Sure, at it's core it's a lot like TFC. That's intentional, you see, as it's a sequel. So I imagine you could say the same thing about any multiplayer sequel.

$20 is dirt cheap for such a quality game that makes me smile every time I jump on. (Ep2 is the weakest part of the package and its pure gold)
Ghengis
I really don't mean to be a jerk about it, but could you elaborate about the new features?

There's some new maps, but people made their own maps for TF and TFC all the time. There's the Ubercharge, which is nice, I guess, but no big deal to me. The spy fake death was replaced with cloaking, but I think that's only because most death sequences now gib the corpse. Engineers *lose* the ability to turn their sentries, and grenades are gone... not really "new" though. Scout double-jump... meh. What else is new? I appreciate that it looks different -- I actually bought a new video card to get the most out of the awesome cell-shading. I don't consider a graphical revamp to be worth the price of a full new game, though, which is why I'm glad it came with other value-added content. Am I missing something in my analysis?

Afterthought: I think part of the let-down is that over the years, they announced some new features that sounded awesome at the time, then showed up in other games during the (long!!!) wait, and now didn't make it into TF2 at all. There were supposed to be useable fixed turrets, that shot faster if somebody manned the ammo box next to them. That sounded neat. I think the Medic was supposed to be able to deploy some sort of healing stations; that got axed too. There's a ton of features they *could* have added, but they chose to barely tweak the existing game. If all the "new" stuff I listed above had showed up as a patch for TFC, people wouldn't have been too surprised -- thought they'd have rioted over the loss of grenades Wink
PseudoKnight
I think maybe you should listen to the commentary. There's a lot of information there on why they made the game the way it is, what they added, and the techniques they used.

I think you're suffering from a skewed perspective. You say there's nothing new, then you list some things that are new but then seemingly mock them. You can't have a fully original game if it's a sequel. They took the core elements of what made TF great and refined it (and extremely well, I might add), exactly like they were supposed to.
Coclus
Bot gonna get it..
Ghengis
What I mean is this: look at the sequels to popular console franchises. They add like a dozen new powerups, new sidekicks, a completely new story, maybe a remarkable new feature like multiplayer that wasn't there before or a new gametype for existing multiplayer. TF2 has no new gametypes (I don't think -- if so, they're at least quite similar to the objectives of TFC). It has no new weapons, unless you count changing what everybody's melee weapons look like (I don't). It has a small number of new abilities (which I mentioned in my post above). I'm not "mocking" the new abilities, I'm just saying that they aren't "enough" to make a proper sequel.

Look at the difference between Half Life and HL2: the story is completely different, the gravity gun takes advantage of the awesome new physics engine, everything is prettier, and there are a bunch of new weapons, including really creative stuff like the pheromone grenades. In short, it's an awesome game in its own right, and you couldn't get there from Half Life 1 with a simple patch or a bit of user-created content. TF2 is basically TF:Source, with a few small upgrades. I can't quantify it -- there's not a bright line where "X new things" is a patch and "X+1 new things" is a sequel, but I feel like you can make generalizations, and I just don't feel like the new things are enough to justify the "2" at the end of the name. I'm glad you like it. I'm happy for you. I love the package; I'm glad I bought it. I just wish TF2 had more meat on it.
Packfan104L4
Ghengis wrote:
I just wish TF2 had more meat on it.

That's the great thing about Source Valve games. They'll be releasing an SDK update to the Source engine so people can create new maps for TF2 and Portal. Map creators right now are going with what they could find, but once the full creation pack is released, some decent user made content should appear relatively quickly.
Kelcey
Let's put it this way... I'm VERY tempted to pick it up.
Ghengis
Packfan104L4 wrote:
Ghengis wrote:
I just wish TF2 had more meat on it.

That's the great thing about Source Valve games. They'll be releasing an SDK update to the Source engine so people can create new maps for TF2 and Portal. Map creators right now are going with what they could find, but once the full creation pack is released, some decent user made content should appear relatively quickly.

Don't get me wrong, I expect tons of user maps, maybe even more elaborate user content -- it's the reason I got Orange Box on PC instead of 360. But when I say "meat", I mean *game design*, you know, play mechanics. As I said above, HL2 isn't just prettier HL1 with a gravity gun, it's a whole new game. You have to *think* differently to play well. TF and TFC players can drop into TF2 like putting on an old glove. Once you account for one or two little things (snipers don't hold down the button; medics heal with a ray instead of a pack), you're off and running and all your old knowledge still applies. I'm not sure I can express my thoughts any more clearly -- heh, guess I need some practice writing.
QrafTee
gibbo wrote:
I thought it was quite annoying that you had to wait for it to come out before you could buy the games individualy i think the orange box is primarely for a first time half-life to gamer, but i just wanted to buy half life 2 episode 2 and team fortress 2 seperate it was a shame to have to wait till the orange box came out but o well im going to buy episode 2 tomorrow cant wait.

I got The Orange Box--mainly for Team Fortress 2; no lie--and I loved it. I played Team Fortress 2, Engineer/Sniper/Soldier and I did pretty well (but that meant my worst enemies were Heavy with Medics, Spies, and other Snipers). So after my computer got jacked, you can tell how pissed off I was... I barely got to play it for 2 weeks.

BTW, you can get The Black Box if you only wanted Half Life 2: Episode 2, Portal (which I heard is good), and Team Fortress 2 (which I KNOW is good)... but I think you need to buy a Radeon card to get it because it's not available normally for retail.
PseudoKnight
Don't get confused with the word "sequel". This is not a singleplayer game. It's multiplayer. The goal was not to add more to TFC but to create the best possible TF experience they could even if it meant taking things OUT (eg. grenades). If you listened to the commentary you'd find that they were going to add a heck of a lot of stuff, but found that it just overcomplicated things and was less fun. Though they went more in the direction of casual gamers, I'd say they succeeded in refining the TF experience.

I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that there are new gameplay modes but using the same mechanics. In fact, outside of Granary and Well, all the maps play differently. Plus, the next map they're currently working on is going to have a whole new mode and mechanic to TF2, which is a variation on the Hunted gametype. It's not the only map they're working on, so stay tuned for more 'meat'.
achowles
While I'm no fan of Valve's marketing strategy here, or of the concept of Steam at all, this pack still interests me. I never bought HL2 so all the games in one pack represents some serious value. Tempting...
XeononyX
The orange box is quite a racket needing to buy HL2 all over again, but someday they will break it up into individual pieces, and I refuse to pay for it until that happens. I used to play G-MOD regurlarly and I then discovered that my computer still doesn't like Source games. But the graphics and gameplay appear top of the line.. I just don't agree with Steam's tactics.
Ghengis
Why wouldn't you like Steam, or Valve's "Marketing"? You buy online, you download your game (you *do* have broadband, right?), it unlocks and you're playing (legally!) in minutes. If you want a paper manual/box/CD, go to the store. If you just want to play a damn fine game, go with Steam.

My two cents, anyway.

P.S.: didn't see the above post until after this went up. If you buy the Orange Box now, you get a "gift voucher" for any of the programs in it that you already own. This may be small solace, but frankly TF2 + Portal is worth the price; any extra stuff is simply cream on top.
QrafTee
XeononyX wrote:
The orange box is quite a racket needing to buy HL2 all over again, but someday they will break it up into individual pieces, and I refuse to pay for it until that happens. I used to play G-MOD regurlarly and I then discovered that my computer still doesn't like Source games. But the graphics and gameplay appear top of the line.. I just don't agree with Steam's tactics.

Uh... can't you buy the games separating from Steam? I believe it's $20.00 for Portal... and about the same for Team Fortress 2. So if you bought them you'd almost have paid for the whole Orange Box, congrats. I bought two Orange Boxes from Circuit City when they were on sale for $37.99 a piece. Smile Unfortunately my place got broken into and now I can't play'em... Sad
Loghete
Ghengis wrote:
If you buy the Orange Box now, you get a "gift voucher" for any of the programs in it that you already own. This may be small solace, but frankly TF2 + Portal is worth the price; any extra stuff is simply cream on top.

How to give them away?

I got OB and installed just the new content, what should I do to give the rest away?
Ghengis
In your Steam, you should see a "gift" link next to the game you already owned. In my interface, it shows up as a column under "My Games". There's the game name, the status (e.g. "100% - Ready"), then a link with "Gift". Just click it and you can will your license over to a friend. I haven't done it yet, but it's supposed to be easy.
Loghete
Ghengis wrote:
In your Steam, you should see a "gift" link next to the game you already owned. In my interface, it shows up as a column under "My Games". There's the game name, the status (e.g. "100% - Ready"), then a link with "Gift". Just click it and you can will your license over to a friend. I haven't done it yet, but it's supposed to be easy.

I don't see any such link... do you have to have the whole OB installed already? Or does it only work if you bought it online?
gibbo
Im still saving up the spare cash to buy the game i cant wait till i do though. iv heard many good things about portal and its ment to be really funny, i wasnt going to buy portal but after hearing lots of good things about it im now tempted to get it.
amysanders
Im getting my copy next week. cant wait!!!
Ghengis
I bought my HL2 retail, and my Orange Box online. I don't know how you "install" your Orange Box HL2, but I always figured it comes with a separate key just for HL2. If that's the case, you can probably just give that key directly to a friend, and they can type it into steam (Games->Activate a product on steam). I'm just guessing, though. Maybe if you started the install process, it would notice you already own it and add the "Gift" link. Probably best to ask Valve support.
gibbo
have any of you tried portal 2d on newgrounds.com i think its pretty good and also anoyingly hard at times but yea iv been trieing it out and i think its good to play when bored
Ghengis
I highly recommend the Flash version of Portal. It doesn't give you all the nuance of the real thing -- and of course the story/voiceover work is a huge part that's missing -- but you can use some of the same concepts, and some of the puzzles are really fun. It's pretty frustrating, though, when you get through 90% of one of the last levels, then die. In the real game, there's pretty frequent checkpoints, so you rarely have to redo more than a minute or two of the puzzle -- some of the later levels in the flash game take close to 10 or 15 minutes. Also, it's a bit buggy -- I've been shoved through walls a couple of times, or had a sentry "magically" right itself after I had knocked it over.

Anyway, it's a nice intro to the concept, if you aren't sure you want to buy the real thing (or can't handle it Wink
andy26
i think the flash version is very good, iv been playing it whilst having nothing to do at college, im waiting a couple of months for the prices go down slightly, then im going to buy hl2 epi 2 first then maybe portal and tfc2. and in reply to someonelse's post yes you can buy the games seperate you only save $70 on the orange box if you dont already own hl2, and epi 1
spykE
I don't think you can hesitate picking up this five game bundle for only like 40-50 bucks, its so cheap, great buy!!! Bargain for sure.
Packfan104L4
I preordered this on Steam and I've been playing it ever since. The amount of gameplay included on Team Fortress 2 would be worth 40-50 bucks and with Valve releasing the development pack, the new maps should be flowing in very soon. TONS of gameplay for the amount included.

And for the person who was wondering about gifting. Install the game fully and activate the product on Steam. Then in Steam, go to "games" at the top and there should be an option that says "manage Gifts and Guest Passes". I didn't own HL2 and EP1 before so you're on your own after that, but from what I heard, you have to know your friends Steam login ID and you have to gift the games within 30 days of activating the product.
kicy
Portal was fun. I like the cake part it was hilarious and all the other things he says like "Remember that time I pretended to murder you."
GeoS
Love it, got it as soon as it was available. Beta wasn't really much different from the finished Team Fortress 2. I was talking and everyone was like, 'We're out of beta now?'. Hmm.

Now to flog the gifts off to someone...
gibbo
dammit when are they going to lower them goddam prices they usually lower them in a few months it seems likes its taking forever is it me or has it not been that long yet???
QrafTee
gibbo wrote:
dammit when are they going to lower them goddam prices they usually lower them in a few months it seems likes its taking forever is it me or has it not been that long yet???

What are you talking about? Best Buy was selling The Orange Box for $25.00 w/free shipping last week. Circuit City was $35.00 w/free shipping as well.
Ghengis
Besides, Orange Box is worth so much more than most games you'd have to pay 40-60 bucks for...