FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Whats a good gift for an online contest?

Guelila
Hello,
I recently started a forum and want to attract new members.
So I decided to run a few contests at my forum, but I can't figure out what will be a good prize for the winner(s).

When you have contests online, whats a good prize for the contest winners?
I'm looking for something around or below $50 hopefully, and not giftcards..
Obviously giftcards are a good idea, but I don't want to give a way gift cards at every contest...
What will be a good prize?
standready
That is very hard to say. May be something related to your forum. One BIG thing to keep in mind. If your forum has members from around the world, shipping could get expensive.
Indyan
Whats your forum's niche?
Give someone that you think your visitors would find interesting.

Btw, everyone loves an iPod. You can consider giving away an shuffle or if u can afford it a nano.
Other options are - Cash prize, domain names, web hosting space, t-shirt with ur forums branding.
melissareich
Indyan wrote:
Whats your forum's niche?
Give someone that you think your visitors would find interesting.

Btw, everyone loves an iPod. You can consider giving away an shuffle or if u can afford it a nano.
Other options are - Cash prize, domain names, web hosting space, t-shirt with ur forums branding.

I agree, but one thing you could also consider

one site had a contest and the prize was more expensive then $50 but it was a collection of all sorts of things put together like shirts, accessories, and other odds and ends... it was a really cool prize and it made a lot of people enter the contest Smile
a.Bird
A bonsai tree!
andy26
Couldnt you make forum T shirts or something then you can ship them off and then you can also get yourself promoted at the same time. infact iv just given myself an idea now.
meet in rio
- Web hosting/domain names.
- Software.
- Cellphone top-up.
- I like the tee-shirt idea. If you down fancy making them yourself, www.threadless.com does some truly excellent designs and they're not insanely expensive. They have pretty good sales sometimes, too.
Idoru
Hard to give good advice not knowing exaclly what your forum is about, but some general thingies here:

* DVD's
* Lottery-tickets
* And since it is a forum on the Internet - anything related to computers.
Pikokola
Frih$ ^^
Domain/Hosting are good, but not all people need that one, since there's frihost for us
Dvd-s or Cd-s are nice too.. but prepare for the shipment ^^

and the most special is....
one words of thanks, a pic and signature of the admin ^^
saratdear
There are certain things which go well with certain forums, as everyone else said.

If you have a webmaster forum, try :

* Free advertising.
* A copy of "The SEO Book" or whatever. I don't know it's exact name, but it costs around $80. But that will get really popular.
* Some free web templates.
* Cold, hard cash works as well. Razz

Do drop by and tell us what type of forum you have, so that we will be able to better help you.

Good luck, and don't forget to advertise your contest in a site like www.theprizeblog.com one you actually get going with the contest.
ainieas
You can also consider giving away membership to Rapidshare premium accounts. I think the ones with a week's or month's validity might cost you about $3. So you might consider that. This way you don't have to spend on shipping and stuff.
Genesiz
You wanna give them something a bit different, something that shows you've actually thought about it. CDs, DVDs and stuff are OK, but there isn't really any originality in them (anyone could buy a CD). Many of the comments about contests on Frihost have said that things such as more bandwith, new ranks etc. are much better prizes than Frih$ (not to say they aren't good of course Wink ).

You may want to think about something like that.
Gushe
Un the Userbar forum they give Special Ranks.. Smile
Thats free, and looks cool Razz Wink
rheanna
The PS3 haha ;o)
Davidgr1200
Amazon do online give certificates. That way you do not have to send anything via snail mail and thus incur no postage costs. You just send the code to the winner and they can use it to buy something from Amazon. I expect other online sites have similar schemes. If the winner is in England you can send them a book token which they can use at any bookshop (http://www.firstbookshop.com/tokenhouse.htm). I have sent presents to people in ENgland that way so it seems to be reliable.
theem
what about a gift voucher from firebox.com ?
Question
Guelila
meet in rio wrote:
- Web hosting/domain names.
- Software.
- Cellphone top-up.
- I like the tee-shirt idea. If you down fancy making them yourself, www.threadless.com does some truly excellent designs and they're not insanely expensive. They have pretty good sales sometimes, too.

THank you all!!
those are all very nice ideas, but I would like to thank meet in rio and theem for introducing www.firebox.com and www.threadless.com.

These are great sites and I think they will make great prizes!

THank you all and keep the ideas coming!
biljap
Free registration for some website? Expert books, CDs with some interesting software. A link to somebody’s website to promote his/her work? I would give a choice of several gifts and let them choose what they prefer.
PatTheGreat42
You should give them a cat.

Preferably a cute kitten.

And on the box, there should be a caption.

http://www.xkcd.com/262/
plus900
well i have comps and i give £10.00 gift voucher paypal send the code to the person and wen thay wana buy soimin for 10.00 thay enter code into sites where u can buy thigs wiith paypal and wala
jabapyth
money. or, if your site offers anything (for sale), give it free