FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Cannot Not Reach A Site (Is Up)

cr3ativ3
I have been trying to access my company's website for the last few days everyone else I know can reach it but me I can't even get a ping off it I also can't get ftp working. This is a major problem seeing as I need to access the site for my work. I can get to it threw proxy but I am not allowed to enter any company info threw proxy's or online ftp clients (security issue).

So any suggestions or do you know of anything?

Thanks!
coreymanshack
cr3ativ3 wrote:
I have been trying to access my company's website for the last few days everyone else I know can reach it but me I can't even get a ping off it I also can't get ftp working. This is a major problem seeing as I need to access the site for my work. I can get to it threw proxy but I am not allowed to enter any company info threw proxy's or online ftp clients (security issue).

So any suggestions or do you know of anything?

Thanks!

you trying to reach it through an outside dns from within your company's site?
eznet
Well, the first thing would be to check you firewall and make sure it isn't blocking 'those' ports. I would not imagine it would be though... If you really want to start troubleshooting it, something easy to detect whether it is hardware or your OS/software config would be to pop in a "live" Linux disk and check the site from within there. Ubuntu would work great for this, but there are many others that will do the trick as well (Sabayon, Knoppix, etc.,).

If you can access the site from within the Linux system, then you can assume that it is something to do with your windows (if that is what you are using) configuration - possibly a software firewall or other 'protection' software. If you cannot access the sites or services from within the Linux environment then you likely have something wrong in your hardware configuration - IE you cable modem or you router most likely.

Let us know a bit more about your situation and you may get some more on topic hints - what OS are you running? what programs are you using to access you company site? etc.
cr3ativ3
Sorry I did not respond saying I had solved it I had ended up calling my ISP and they told me to visit red.com? anyways after I had visited it I could get to the site just fine wonder how that works anyways thanks for trying help appreciated! Smile

Once again Thanks.
johanfh
I guess your ISP blocked the ports you needed with their firewall.
Visiting red.com won't help a bit, I guess, since this seems a website about some movie. The only two things I can think about are:
1. someone at your ISP didn't want you to know they blocked it (by accident maybe). So they told you to visit red.com and in the meantime they unblocked it while you thought it was the red.com thing instead of their firewall.
2. they needed your ip-number to unblock the site for your pc. By visiting a site they know you visit at that moment they can see in their logs which IP-number from their customers visited red.com at that moment, so then they knew your number and unblocked your companies site for you.

But maybe I'm wrong?
JohanFH
fadirocks
I had a problem with one of the RCN hubs I was on to access my own website
It looks like it couldn't reach and my IP was static for more than 2 months and I tried to change it by shutting of modem and restarting it but didn't work

so what I did I changed my MAC address on the router and rebooted and voila I connected to different hub with new IP address and everything worked nicely

If you don't have a router and want to change your MAC address there is something called MAC shift it's available somewhere on the internet Smile
eznet
fadirocks wrote:
It looks like it couldn't reach and my IP was static for more than 2 months and I tried to change it by shutting of modem and restarting it but didn't work

so what I did I changed my MAC address on the router and rebooted and voila I connected to different hub with new IP address and everything worked nicely

If you don't have a router and want to change your MAC address there is something called MAC shift it's available somewhere on the internet Smile

HA! Nice (and interesting) tip. New mac address = "new device" (aka. New ip address) - good stuff. Might want to be careful though, I am not 100% sure, but I am pretty sure that some ISPs (Knowledgy) monitors macs connected to their rented modems and will bill (without notice) for new Macs. I don't know how this works if the mac address which was already registered with the account goes when the new shows up - hence why I say that you may want to check. I am sure that even if problems with ISP service did occur as a result of the mac change that it could easily be explained to a tech.
knullbar
fadirocks wrote:

awesome! Smile

knullbar~;*