FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Internet now 40x slower

Sparda
Today for the first time my internet became 40 times slower. I checked a speedtest site and this is my results: from www.speedtest.net

NOW
Download 103 kbp/s
Upload 480 kbp/s

BEFORE

Download about 4800 kbp/s
Upload 480 kbp/s

As you see upload is the same. Some reason the download is extremely slow. Called the ISP and the guy said to wait a few days and see what happens. Oh, I am using charter communications. Have any idea why this is happening?
Jaan
Just wait a few days.

You're prolly using DSL.

It's happened to me before, and 9/10 times there's nothing you can do about it except wait, like tech support kindly told you.
Sparda
Alright, I was just wandering why this happened. I do indeed have DSL. I will get to waiting then. ~Thanks
Bones
Are you sure that the pc is malware free? I would think a malware infection would also have an effect on your upload speed, but I work in tech support and the answer 'wait a few days' ? That just doesn't sound right unless they are doing server maintenance or something of that nature.
andy26
Have you reached any internet speed or download caps? also i had a similar problem when i was running xp i had a fault with the autoupdate feature the process called svchost was running very high memory and mainly affected internet exploere go to taskmanager if your running xp then go to proccesses and look for svchost and if one of them are way over 20000kb end the process and see if it speeds up your internet if this does work let me know and i will give you a tutorial on how to fix this.
Sparda
To Bones:

It can't be Malware because my internet is indeed back to normal. I just waited like the guy said and speed is quite normal.

To Andy:

It's not one of my computer processes because my internet comes from a router shared by family members. All of us had this problem. So, it's not a computer situation.
BlueVD
Sparda wrote:
To Bones:

It can't be Malware because my internet is indeed back to normal. I just waited like the guy said and speed is quite normal.

To Andy:

It's not one of my computer processes because my internet comes from a router shared by family members. All of us had this problem. So, it's not a computer situation.

Well, if one of the uses P2P software there's a limit to the concurrent connection made even for a router. After that the switching and routing mecanism just puts extra packets on a que. And remember, even if you limit the speed of the P2P program, the number of concurrent connections it makes is almost the same. Keep a clear track of the P2P software in the home network. It can be a cause.
ArmenianUnit
In My Opinion... Use Full Speed 3.0 =] I was on 9 mb D/L rate ... Now Im On 11 mb Download Rate =]
knullbar
yeah fiber FTW, however just wait a few days and it should be alright again.. Smile

Knullbar;*~~
DecayClan
Sparda wrote:
To Bones:

To Andy:

Ok, your problem is solved, so it probably was a connection problem, BUT! ::
This doesn't mean that it couldn't be malware, any of the computers that are infected, could flood the whole network... Just do a quick check:

Shut Down ALL the programs that use the internet, go start>run>cmd
and then write netstat -b
If you see many connections that say established, then you are in trouble(or you forgot to shut down a program that is using the internet connection).