FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Gimp

xbcd
Since i don't see any Gimp topic i made one Very Happy

alright so for those of you who don't know gimp is a free graphic image manipulation program (hench gimp) and is almost on par with photoshop. It is free to use which more then makes up for the steep learning curve. (although 3.0 will aparently be as good if not better then photoshop)

you can go and download it from. http://www.gimp.org/

it is available for all platforms, linux, windows, and mac.
LostOverThere
Yeah, we've all heard about it. Oh by the way if you search "GIMP" you get 429 topic results. Wink

But yes, it is a very good graphics program.
Peterssidan
I use it myself. Before i only used paint but that is not very good to make something nice in so I installed gimp and it is there to stay. I can't handle all the features yet but I don't know any that does.
xbcd
yeah i don't know anyone who knows how to use all the features, but then again i don't know anyone who has photoshop either.
DarkAkira
I've used Gimp on several occasions.

I'll be honest.... I hate it. It's... eh.

Not only is the UI god awful and ugly, but just no. In using it, it just seems to lack so many things that I use daily in photoshop (CS3). I have used a number of features on it, but idk. It's just no where near as powerful or as advanced as Photoshop.

That's just my opinion though. I am sure some out there absolutely love it.
Drvanger
I think GIMP is a very good program. I use it to edit the photos, that I make with my digital camera.
putz480
Does anyone happen to have a link to a good Gimp tutorial? I'm starting to do some web work in my spare time and need to design some simple graphics for sites. Anything of quality that assumes the user doesn't have much experience (which I don't) would be appreciated.
jonas_alves
you can find awesome tutorials on Gimp's official website:

http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/
xbcd
DarkAkira wrote:
I've used Gimp on several occasions.

I'll be honest.... I hate it. It's... eh.

Not only is the UI god awful and ugly, but just no. In using it, it just seems to lack so many things that I use daily in photoshop (CS3). I have used a number of features on it, but idk. It's just no where near as powerful or as advanced as Photoshop.

That's just my opinion though. I am sure some out there absolutely love it.

well you can afford CS3 then. most of us can't and so we use GIMP. if we could afford CS3 im sure we all would by it but for 1000$ i can by a new computer, and since i never have to pay for an upgrade for GIMP i can get the newest version at anytime.

Sure GIMP may be behind compared to Photoshop CS3 but i never used it and can't afford it. When CS3 is replaced with CS4 i'm sure GIMP will be right on par with CS3 in your opinion but CS4 will have something GIMP doesn't. GIMP may always be last years program in terms of photoshop releases but you never worry about it becoming obsolete. It will always be right where it needs to be to stay in the competition and suit 95% of consumer needs.
BlueVD
GIMP is good considering it's free. And for the Photoshop Addicts there is ap rojects that makes it look like PS. Also it has a lot of power under the hood. It has nice features that lack from PS and vice-versa. It's a little more hard to use since the shorcuts aren't the same but you can reassign most of them.
Overall, it come second best compared to PS, but when you think of the prices... It comes First.
Arno v. Lumig
It's a great project. They should just change the damn interface. Why does everything have to be a separate screen? Why not make 1 screen that contains all the "toolbars" and your canvas...
{name here}
GIMP's UI is simply terrible, and until they can learn from Fireworks, I'm not going to use it unless I need a filter.
carlospro7
yes, I've seen and used GIMP. Very nice program.
azuwis
I've just found 2 great tutorial sites for GIMP yesteday. Just take a look Smile

http://www.gimp-tutorials.com/

http://gimp-tutorials.net/
Studio Madcrow
GIMP is nice, but for Linux users Krita's better. Real RAW support, deep color support (16+bits/pixel) real CMYK and L*a*b colorspace support and the fact that it doesn't use GTK means that it's a WAY better program than GIMP.
infobankr
I agree - Adobe Photoshop CS3 (or any Adobe Photoshop) kicks butt, but I also think that the GIMP rules as a FREE cross platform graphics tool. Can't beat the price, and that's nice ! Smile
lethaltriad
I've heard alot about GIMP, looks to be promising in the future. Might give it a try, maybe it can process some simple edits when I need to. Right now i'm using CS3 and it does everything I need to and more.
Psycho_X52
I've seen many cool pictures edited or created with GIMP. I like it a lot, but I'm still having problems with GAP because although I multiply the frames (20x) the result of a simple 2 points path animation has only 2 layers, not 20....
fiendskull9
To the people complaining about GIMP's UI

the UI for gimp is designed in a way similar to the Dvorak keyboard layout

things you need most are placed where you need

oh, and if you REALLY want a better UI, i hope you realize you can hack up the source code to how you want the software to look

but im sure many of those complaining don't have the competence to do that :]

And as far as gimp lacking in features compared to Photoshop, the gimp is fully scriptable and expandable

meaning you can write plugins and scripts to do stuff that even photoshop can't do

so please, don't complain about open source softwares features, just write a patch and submit it :]

-clay
Arno v. Lumig
fiendskull9 wrote:
To the people complaining about GIMP's UI

the UI for gimp is designed in a way similar to the Dvorak keyboard layout

things you need most are placed where you need

No. Dvorak is made to type faster, while the GIMP eats all your task bar space, clutters your desktop and makes it impossible to edit your image full screen if you don't have an A1 size cheatsheet with hotkeys. If they would at least make it an so-called MDI (at least, that's what Microsoft calls it), it would be a lot better. You can still use hotkeys if not everything is in a different window. Now I spend a lot of time moving around all these windows so nothing overlaps but I still got enough screen real-estate. Image editing typically happens with your mouse/trackball/touchpad, so stop using all these hotkeys already (except for those that are naturally under your left hand, because that hand is free no matter what)! You need to have your hand on your mouse anyway, so >>make efficient menus<<.

Quote:
oh, and if you REALLY want a better UI, i hope you realize you can hack up the source code to how you want the software to look

but im sure many of those complaining don't have the competence to do that :]

I think I do have the competence to do that. I do PHP scripting for work, and have enough C++ experience to be able to create a damn interface. I just don't have the time to first spend several hours creating a GUI and then edit the image I need. I think it's rather that the GIMP developers don't have the competence to create a nice GUI.

Quote:
And as far as gimp lacking in features compared to Photoshop, the gimp is fully scriptable and expandable

meaning you can write plugins and scripts to do stuff that even photoshop can't do

Stop making me laugh. When I'm editing an image I don't have the time to write a filter. Basically what you are claiming is that a C++ compiler is the best program for editing your image, because you can do everything you want to with the image, and hardly anything is more customizable the C++. Right?!

Quote:
so please, don't complain about open source softwares features, just write a patch and submit it :]

-clay

It's open source, so I can't complain? What a bullshit. I don't like something, so I say how I would like it, and the only thing that happens is that you get flamed by some lousy fanboy because he thinks that OSS means that it's perfect. I don't like the GIMP interface, even though I've worked with it for a pretty long time. That alone means that the interface is not perfect. A perfect interface means that everyone, novice or expert, can work with it in a fast, efficient way and without having the interface get in the users way. GIMP can't do that for me, so it's not perfect.

Here. A perfect, open source program:
Code:
#include <iostream>
#include <stdio.h>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
    cout << "This program is simple, extensible, customizable, and it can do everything a computer can do";
    return 0;
}

You see? It's open source and you can use it for image editing (you'll just have to write a plugin for it though, but it's not that hard). It can do everything that GIMP can do, and even more! (if you write a plugin for it).

I am sorry for all spelling/grammatical errors in my post, but posts like yours just make me mad (and it was a little late last night Neutral).
fiendskull9
Embarassed
it wasnt meant to be a flame
i was just getting annoyed with the "JOMGS PHOTOSHOP IS BETTERERZ THAN GIMP!" people

i really dislike the gimp, and use photoshop when i can (i own a cs3 license for osx)

and one last thing for everybody

http://www.gimpshop.com/

its got the MDI container with redesigned menus and such

-clay
DarkAkira
fiendskull9 wrote:
Embarassed
it wasnt meant to be a flame
i was just getting annoyed with the "JOMGS PHOTOSHOP IS BETTERERZ THAN GIMP!" people

i really dislike the gimp, and use photoshop when i can (i own a cs3 license for osx)

and one last thing for everybody

http://www.gimpshop.com/

its got the MDI container with redesigned menus and such

-clay

From what i have read, NO ONE has said "JOMGS PHOTOSHOP IS BETTERERZ THAN GIMP!", or anything even close.

People have merely given their opinion on GIMP, and their opinion when compared to Photoshop. Your first post seems to be merely a trouble starter. At least, that the feeling I got from it.
xbcd
Sure it may not have quite the punch of photoshop but you can't say gimp isn't more powerful. Drop the C++ talk and look at something, you spend $1000 every couple years so you can go and save yourself 200$ worth of work time, some of us wouldn't even save that much. Some of us are doing hobby editing for friends and fun, we don't want to spend thousands of dollars when the what we edit isn't going to be sold. Lots of people use photoshop for hobby editing and you'll also notice the edits aren't high quality thats cause people believe that a good program makes a good photo edit. In reality it is the editor and not the program that determines how a photo will end up.
Arno v. Lumig
fiendskull9: Apologies accepted. Thanks

xbcd wrote:
Sure it may not have quite the punch of photoshop but you can't say gimp isn't more powerful. Drop the C++ talk and look at something, you spend $1000 every couple years so you can go and save yourself 200$ worth of work time, some of us wouldn't even save that much. Some of us are doing hobby editing for friends and fun, we don't want to spend thousands of dollars when the what we edit isn't going to be sold. Lots of people use photoshop for hobby editing and you'll also notice the edits aren't high quality thats cause people believe that a good program makes a good photo edit. In reality it is the editor and not the program that determines how a photo will end up.

True, that's why I use GIMP, but money/TCO should NEVER be included in determining the quality of a program... It's just not relevant
DarkAkira
xbcd wrote:

Most users like what you describe (easy fixes/edits) do not pay for it. The pirate it. Or they get it from a friend. I think I only know about 12 people who have actually bought Photoshop i their life. And I am a graphic designer in the industry, so I know alot of professionals.
ganesh
If you happen to know the technicalities of image processing, and do not need to rely on the UI of either GIMP or Photoshop, then, the tool to use is ImageMagick. Like GIMP, it is freeware and available for multiple platforms. I was using GIMP initially but somebody asked me to try out ImageMagick and I have been hooked onto it ever since. Some of the features of ImageMagick that made me favour it are:

(1) Command line interface under Windows (wherein I could do batch processing - also possible under GIMP, but also processing on a single file, which has a much steeper learning curve in GIMP.)

(2) Availablilty of a Perl library - PerlMagick, wherein, I could harness the power of ImageMagick in a Perl script, create an executable, and deploy it on an end user machine where neither Perl, nor ImageMagick were available. Would like to know whether Photoshop or GIMP offers similar features Smile

Of course, the program you prefer will depend entirely on your type of requirements Smile
welshsteve
I really don't like the program, mainly because the interface is just so messy. I even tried GIMPshop, which is supposed to be easier to use and more like Photoshop, but even that is messy. I will be sticking with Photoshop CS2 (don't own CS3).

As far as free graphics programs go, I think Paint.NET is the easiest to use, and has loads of features you find in paid for programs such as Photoshop.
xbcd
huh i like the look of paint.net but its on 3.x and gimp is still on 2.3 (they were going to update but for some unknown reason 3.0 hasn't been released)
Da Rossa
The problem is: GIMP's interface. OK, there is the "Gimpshop" but it doesn't change anything afaik. The Gimp is free, with means it could be used by a broad range of people, young students and whatsoever, but what exactly are that people that need a program like PS or Gimp? Mostly the professionals. The professionals can easily afford a PS copy, and they are more fond of it because of the support and because of the feeling that someone is "really" working (the adobe engineers are being paid for making things work, what could be a greater motivator than the simple will to create something nowadays), and as of today, Oct 25 2007, PS is more popular despite the price and used by the most people of the area.

However, I wish GIMP was clearer/better. I would use it with all the pleasure. Like I decided to use Filezilla and Firefox instead of CuteFTP/FTPRush/FlashFXP and IE.
bulek
We use GIMP at school while I use Adobe Photoshop CS3 at home. My opinion is that GIMP is nearly not as functional as Photoshop is, it's like a very old version of Photoshop. The support of GIMP is also very poor. It nearly doesn't have as much tutorials as Photoshop has and there also aren't any DVD's with video tutorials.
I think that the only cons of GIMP is that it's free.
neosree
My experience with GIMP is terrible, just like photoshop.. very hard to do things i want... So i forget abt both and get Ulead Photo Express.. that worked fine for me.. If someone can make the interface of GIMP to something easy and not so advanced, yet powerful, it will be very very good.
Psycho_X52
Try to view some tutorials on youtube. That's how I managed to learn the UI and basics.
Studio Madcrow
In general GIMP is pretty much OK, with two huge exception. First is that it can't handle any kind of color other than RGB. That means that you can't really use it to prepare graphics that will be printed on any sort of "pro" equipment. Second is that it doesn't have support for any more than 8 bits per channel. While 24-bit files are OK for on-screen stuff, they just can't capture enough color information to make TRUE photo quality prints from. Still, for most people who are just editing graphics for sending by email or to print on a home inkjet or at the drugstore the Gimp is amazing. It's only the design nerds who have real problems Razz
xbcd
yeah the 8bits per channel needs to get updated don't know if they did that in 2.4 probably will be a 3.x release

i can do color in other the RGB gimp has a decompse function which allows u to use

all of those color modes.