FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

WIN-GET Repository, apt-get for windows?

dac_nip
win-get is an automated install system and software repository for Microsoft Windows written in pascal (for the command line client) and php for the online repository. The ideas for its creation come from apt-get and other related tools for the *nix platforms.

The system works by connecting to a link repository. Finding an application and downloading it from the stored link using wget.exe . Then performing the installation routine (silent or standard). And finnally deleting the install file.
Installation:

1. Download wget.exe
2. Download win-get.exe (version 1.01)
3. Put the 2 files some where on your system (I like in the c:\windows so they are system wide accessible).

you might be interested!

http://windows-get.sourceforge.net/
mehulved
What about the various licences of different apps? How will that be managed? I couldn't really find anything on that. IMO, that an important aspect to cover.
MrBlueSky
A very nice project! I never heard of it.

mehulved wrote:
What about the various licences of different apps? How will that be managed? I couldn't really find anything on that. IMO, that an important aspect to cover.

I'm not sure I understand. What could be the problem with the licences?
ThePolemistis
dac_nip wrote:
win-get is an automated install system and software repository for Microsoft Windows written in pascal (for the command line client) and php for the online repository. The ideas for its creation come from apt-get and other related tools for the *nix platforms.

The system works by connecting to a link repository. Finding an application and downloading it from the stored link using wget.exe . Then performing the installation routine (silent or standard). And finnally deleting the install file.
Installation:

1. Download wget.exe
2. Download win-get.exe (version 1.01)
3. Put the 2 files some where on your system (I like in the c:\windows so they are system wide accessible).

you might be interested!

http://windows-get.sourceforge.net/

is there any need for this? Is it that hard to goto google and download it yourself? or even via using google Desktop??
And surely M$ installation of programs and management (add/remove) are more straightforward than linux's.
For linux I can understand, given the different distros and distribution the OS may use. For Windows, an apt-get wannabe is unnecessary
mehulved
MrBlueSky wrote:
I'm not sure I understand. What could be the problem with the licences?

OK. I didn't get the concept earlier. They aren't storing the files, they are just storing the location to the files. And then wget will point to it. Then it's fine, no such issues then.
But, still like some MS products will require WGA check and such. How will that be covered?
Studio Madcrow
Sounds like an interesting way to distribute Windize free ware and stuff. Personally I find it a bit pointless, but maybe somebody might find it useful...
badai
win-get is quite cumbersome.

why would you want to manually (or automatically either thru startup or task scheduler) to check update, download, install and delete the installer?

apt-get in linux is different. it's like windows update, where you manually cek for update then use apt-get to get it. in windows, you get way too much applications and only few are listed in win-get. win-get won't waste system resource or bandwidth. it only waste your time. use it if you got way too much time.

use http://www.update-scout.com instead