FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

problems with mail()

woodenbrick
I set up a email verify wotsit when people register on my site but it seems that any emails I send to yahoo addresses with the mail() function don't seem to get there. I tried hotmail too and they get their instantly. Any idea why this might be happening?
ncwdavid
woodenbrick wrote:
I set up a email verify wotsit when people register on my site but it seems that any emails I send to yahoo addresses with the mail() function don't seem to get there. I tried hotmail too and they get their instantly. Any idea why this might be happening?

Is this script that uses the mail() function hosted on Frihost or your own server? I have never had any problems with the Frihost mail() function so far but then again I have never tested it sending the mail to Yahoo. I still don't see why it wouldn't work though. I had my own server at home and my ISP would only let me send emails to only email addresses that they owned and ended with a certain @theredomain.com and I had to use relays to bypass there filter.
woodenbrick
The script is on my frihost server, I opened up my yahoo mail this morning and found all the messages I sent yesterday, still can't figure out why it takes so long to deliver them. Created a gmail account this morning to test, there were no problems. Confused
woodenbrick
I found the reason for this here:
http://www.ahfx.net/weblog.php?article=107
People who are using mail() for yahoo addresses may wish to read.
sonam
Maybe you can solve this problem with simple trick. Here on frihost you can open one mail address. Insert this address in address book on yahoo mail. Set a forward in frihost cPanel towards yahoo mail and point mail() function in form on your new frihost address.
The mail way will look like: form -> frihost -> yahoo.

Sonam
Stubru Freak
woodenbrick wrote:
I found the reason for this here:
http://www.ahfx.net/weblog.php?article=107
People who are using mail() for yahoo addresses may wish to read.

Are you sure that's the problem? The article is a year old, and I'm able to send messages to my Yahoo address from Frihost.
Maybe the Yahoo servers were just a little slow, and it will work if you try again.
simplyw00x
Make sure you set lots of headers when using mail() as a lot of providers (especially free ones) disregard email that looks like it was sent by a script rather than a person.
woodenbrick
@simplyw00x:
I thought this may be a problem so I have been setting all the possible headers I think are necessary, sometimes it works, sometimes not, very unreliable.

@sonam:
This might work for me, but I can't edit other peoples address books. I'm looking into creating some kind of mailing list, but I need to know if there is a way to specify the addresses from the mail() function?

@Stubru Freak
I can't see any other problem. Obviously if google and hotmail handle them instantly with no problem, then Yahoos spam guard is set too high for me.

Has anyone else tested this out much?
eletromaio
this funtion have enable in the server hosting the file for to send!!! :D
SonLight
If you read farther down on the page linked to, you will see that comments are still coming in saying that yahoo is making life very difficult for mail administrators. Obviously they haven't solved their span problem, since lots of spam gets through. They seem to be delivering more spam messages directly into the inbox in the last few months.
woodenbrick
I've given up on yahoo and am now encouraging everyone to swap to gmail.
BlueVD
I remember the days when I used to work at my university at the internet department. Yahoo marked all our messages as spam because the DNS server didn't have a SPF entry. Anyway, a faulty DNS config + some pourly written code cand certainly delay your code. You can try to make a cron script that checks the message delivery, but I'm not a whiz when it comes to mail headers and such.
manav
it gets there but in the junk folder i guess....

thats because your mail server is not the same as your domain name...

its kinda complicated.... search the topic for in google...

i had the same problem and found the solution which i have mentioned above...