FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Best IT field?

ThePolemistis
OKay, I wanna know what is the best field in IT to go into in terms of salary? Im looking purely at salary, and at the moment not thinking of job satisfaction or flexibiltiy.
Im looking in Europe, but I dont think region should affect the best field in IT in terms of salary right?
teko
you would be wrong in thinking that salary shouldn´t be effected by what part of Europe you re in. I think if you want higher IT salaries go to the UK where at least you´re going to get paid in sterling which is worth alot more than the euro

Actually sorry just re-read your article, but I do still think salaries are probably higher in the US than in Europe, and then as I already said salaries vary in Europe as well
loryl
CEO of an IT company. Hey, Bill Gates did it!
rainmaker
I know this may be out of your timeframe, but I believe Ph.D. holders can earn substantial salaries when they work in industry or research (or both). Have you considered graduate school?
ThePolemistis
rainmaker wrote:
I know this may be out of your timeframe, but I believe Ph.D. holders can earn substantial salaries when they work in industry or research (or both). Have you considered graduate school?

hmm... i am considering post graduate after my undergraduate.

however, I uderstand that during my 3 year post graduate study I can earn approx £16,000 if it is sponsored by the government (where requirement is that I must attain like a first class i think or at least 2.1), and in addition accomodation is paid for. But the choice of study is chosen by them (i.e. what there is funding for) and not by me.

However, I am not sure after that... I am looking for a IT job that will secure me financially because I know many Computer Science students who come out of uni, and not earning more than a person who didnt goto univeristy and does the same job. I dont want my 3 years wasted

teko wrote:
Actually sorry just re-read your article, but I do still think salaries are probably higher in the US than in Europe, and then as I already said salaries vary in Europe as well

Im basically looking for the Best IT field to go into in terms of salary. I understand that the field maybe different for different European countries like in one it maybe in working on technologies on User Experience in program design and in the other can be on databases in mySQL for small sized business (used purely as example), but I dont think the difference should be great.

loryl wrote:

but bill Gates case is different, he was a business man that headed a company. People cannot become CEO overnight in the conventional sense, you need to gradually work up the ladder to attain that position. Steve Ballmer (CEO at M$) did Maths and Eco degree at Harvard, became P & G assistant product manager, attended stanford business school before working in M$. And even at microsoft he was in many other positions before attaining CEO. What IT field is the best to climb that ladder fast??
teko
I do disagree about differences in salaries in different European countries, I would ask you to compare salaries in the UK with that in Spain and you will find huge differences. Unless you are extremely experienced in your field that you could demand high figures you will see that salaries are alot lower in Spain.

In Spain the average monthly salary is 1000 euro´s a month, and while IT salaries are probably above that, they are not that much.
ThePolemistis
teko wrote:
I do disagree about differences in salaries in different European countries, I would ask you to compare salaries in the UK with that in Spain and you will find huge differences. Unless you are extremely experienced in your field that you could demand high figures you will see that salaries are alot lower in Spain.

In Spain the average monthly salary is 1000 euro´s a month, and while IT salaries are probably above that, they are not that much.

Im not talking about salary differencies between countries. I was stating the field for the highest salary in Britain and Spain for instance would be similar -- the field would be similar not the salary.
teko
sorry re-read your post again, I think I need to get more sleep!
minty
The field to within IT to get into is the Security side. As of right now it is a huge topic, and everyone is trying to become secured to keep their employees, customers, and clients personal information from being exploited. For instance, any company that stores, transfers, or accepts credit card information has to comply with the PCI standard, and if they are caught not complying face heavy fines and penalty charges. I HIGHLY recommend you joining in Security field if you are looking for job security and financial security.

Furthermore, there are numerous other compliances that must be met like PCI, however, each one has its own circumstances that it can be applied:

HIPAA (all health organizations), PCI (all organizations that transmit, store, or accept credit card information), GLBA (all financial institutions), FISMA (All Federal Agencies and its affiliate), etc.

**All these listed, other than PCI (which is an international compliance), are strictly United States compliances.
slasonic
Look out! If you get into the IT field, you have to keep up with technology for everyday of the rest of your career. Especially security. That might sound fun at this point, but as you get older, your priorities will change (think family) and the *fun* of keeping up with the everchanging technology will become a heck of a chore. So you better get a good background in management, if you think you'd be good at it.

But to answer your q:

Best jobs, in my opinion.

A programmer who works on something rare, like COM objects, or some low-level c programming. That takes a lot of knowledge.

Database administrators have pretty good salaries.

In the US, the higher the Certifications, the better the pay.

I would not go into IT at this point if I had a choice. I'd go for physical therapy if your good with your hands. Or something that is a stable profession.

I hope you find the right career for yourself. It's a very personal choice. A wise man advised me when I was young that choosing a career should be like climbing mountains. Climb several, look out, and decide which one you want to stay on.
fancyboy
loryl wrote:

this is the age os IT no person is complate without IT knowledge thaplays an important role in the country .a few decades ago some companies cae into existence to support IT now there are many companies like microsoft by bll gates and IBM ect.they provide best facilities to internet and computer users to maintain theri data reasonabe thats why is has absolute importance Razz Razz Razz .
HealingHands5
If you are thinking about migrating whether to another country in Europe or to the US, the best way to check the salary for jobs, is to search based on your qualifications and experiences. There are numerous websites out there that will facilitate that type of search for both regions. Here are a few:

http://www.payscale.com/

http://salary.monster.com/

http://www.e-janco.com/Salary.htm?gclid=CMaDpsGRrpACFQIUPAodkAK87A

http://joblist.ala.org/?gclid=CO_A-OWRrpACFQGnPAodjgLc8A

http://www.information-age.com/home/information_age_today/europe_leads_it_pay

http://dir.monster.co.uk/jobsearch.asp?re=4&pg=2&cy=IE&vw=d&sort=rv&country=Ireland&region=Outside%20Dublin&lid=956,34744

http://dir.francais.monster.ch/jobsearch.asp?cy=IE&vw=d&sort=rv&country=Ireland&region=Outside%20Dublin&lid=956,34744

http://dir.monster.es/jobsearch.asp?re=5&pg=2&cy=IE&vw=d&sort=rv&country=Ireland&region=Outside%20Dublin&lid=956,34744