FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


openSUSE 10.3!!!





Studio Madcrow
It's finally here and it looks like SUSE is finally back to being the undisputed champion of Linuxdom. I know there's some folks who hate openSUSE because it's partly made by Novell who did a deal with M$, but you can't argue with being the best...
Handyman
I am down loading it right now. I cant wait to give it a spin. I liked 10.2 but it had a few flaws that I couldn't live with.
Arno v. Lumig
Studio Madcrow wrote:
It's finally here and it looks like SUSE is finally back to being the undisputed champion of Linuxdom. I know there's some folks who hate openSUSE because it's partly made by Novell who did a deal with M$, but you can't argue with being the best...


openSUSE is NOT the best distro. YaST is nice, it's user friendly, it looks good by default, and it's terribly slow.
Josso
Some guy messaged me on MSN saying he was downloading it earlier
brucedes
When I get Leopard in a couple of weeks, I'll be reformatting and partitioning with boot camp to put suse on it.
mehulved
Studio Madcrow wrote:
It's finally here and it looks like SUSE is finally back to being the undisputed champion of Linuxdom. I know there's some folks who hate openSUSE because it's partly made by Novell who did a deal with M$, but you can't argue with being the best...

That's a quite relative statement. It may hold true for you. It may hold true for many others. But, it surely can't hold true for everyone. Atleast it doesn't hold true for me.
And it's not about Novell at all. For me personally, I have never liked package management under rpm based distros somehow. Then again I am not so fond of administering whole of my system using GUI. GUI is nice in right places but not everywhere. Sometimes it becomes an hindrance rather.
Suse has some quite good features nonetheless like AppArmour, YaST, really good installer, which make it a good choice for many.
LostOverThere
OpenSuSE is a very good distro. But as we know, Linux is all about choice. That's what makes Linux so great - choice. Don't like KDE? Try GNOME, Fluxbox, Xfce and so on. Don't like SuSE, try Ubuntu, Mandriva, or Linux Mint.

In my opinion, SuSE is not the best, I honestly prefer Ubuntu to OpenSuSE because of its simplicity and "One Program - One Task" rule.
Studio Madcrow
LostOverThere wrote:
OpenSuSE is a very good distro. But as we know, Linux is all about choice. That's what makes Linux so great - choice. Don't like KDE? Try GNOME, Fluxbox, Xfce and so on. Don't like SuSE, try Ubuntu, Mandriva, or Linux Mint.

In my opinion, SuSE is not the best, I honestly prefer Ubuntu to OpenSuSE because of its simplicity and "One Program - One Task" rule.

I think you've just hit the nail on the head of the differences between Ubuntu fans and SUSE fans. SUSE fans love having HUGE ammounts of choice, while it tends to confuse Ubuntu users...

Also, who ever said that SUSE is slow is strange. I ran it for YEARS on a Pentium 3 866MHz with only 256 MB of RAM and it was quite usable and not at all slow. I just moved up to an Athlon XP 3000+ with 1 GB of RAM and it only gets better...

BTW, I posted this from SUSE 10.3, the first version of Linux to successfully deal with my wireless card without making me compile kernel modules and stuff.
Drvanger
I will try it, when I will have a bigger HDD. Smile I used SuSe 8.1, 9.0 and 9.1, and I think it is a very user friendly distribution. I leave it, because I can't compile a new kernel on it. Now I use Fedora, but I want to try other distributions.

Are there any Live CD-s based on SuSe 10.3 to try it without a big HDD? Very Happy
mehulved
Drvanger wrote:
Are there any Live CD-s based on SuSe 10.3 to try it without a big HDD? Very Happy

I can't see any on their download page. Nor any information on it http://en.opensuse.org/Live_CD
fiendskull9
Agreed
openSuse being the "best" is an opinion

there is no "best" linux distro, but merely what you feel comfortable with

there is facts though, and one fact with suse is that it uses a form of RPM (which does horrible dependency checking)

and openSuse's kernel is built with nearly every feature

does your new dell really need tape drive support?

-clay
johanfh
Mehulved wrote:
Quote:
Then again I am not so fond of administering whole of my system using GUI. GUI is nice in right places but not everywhere. Sometimes it becomes an hindrance rather.


I am used to SuSE on our servers. Partially I administer it with Yast and/or KDE, but hé, it's just normal Linux! Most of the time I'm still poking around in config files for streamlining the systems like I would do with other distro's. So you can easily administer it without the GUI. 95% of the time I use putty (secure shell client) with only a simple command prompt.

JohanFH
fiendskull9
if you are feeling comfortable using the command line
i would reccomend you uninstall the graphical server software on your servers

as that can use up to around 200mb of ram (especially with kde and everything running)

-clay
mehulved
johanfh wrote:
Partially I administer it with Yast and/or KDE, but hé, it's just normal Linux! Most of the time I'm still poking around in config files for streamlining the systems like I would do with other distro's. So you can easily administer it without the GUI. 95% of the time I use putty (secure shell client) with only a simple command prompt.
Yeah of course. But, I am talking of making it easier to use less GUI. IMO debian and source based distros are better in that. Anyways, it could also be just my personal (biased?) opinion.
Studio Madcrow
fiendskull9 wrote:
if you are feeling comfortable using the command line
i would reccomend you uninstall the graphical server software on your servers

as that can use up to around 200mb of ram (especially with kde and everything running)

-clay

Of course, some of us use Linux for our primary desktop and would NEVER want to be without our KDE...
Related topics
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Computers -> Operating Systems

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.