FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

what is the best version of windows?

what is the best version of windows?
vista pro
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
vista
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
vista home
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
xp pro
50%
 50%  [ 17 ]
xp
8%
 8%  [ 3 ]
xp home
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
2000 pro
8%
 8%  [ 3 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
me
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
nt
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
dos
8%
 8%  [ 3 ]
server versions or other
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 34

MarzEz
what do you think is the best version of windows?
i voted for xp pro (professional) because it's the most stable, and vista has all these new copy protection laws and it needs at least 1gb ram to run.
at the moment, though, i'm stuck with 98, 2000 or nt server 4.0. Mad
Blix
I tried Win 95, 98, 2000 and XP over the years... i like 2000 because of its speed but of course is outdated
DarkAkira
DOS isn't windows.... but I voted for it anyway.

w00t for DOS. Most Stable and ADVANCED OS EVER!!!
Arno v. Lumig
DarkAkira wrote:
DOS isn't windows.... but I voted for it anyway.

w00t for DOS. Most Stable and ADVANCED OS EVER!!!

You gotta be kidding me Razz. Anyway, how did you get like 600 Points? Doesn't it get reset to 45 daily?

I voted 98, for the performance on low-end PCs
DarkAkira
Arno v. Lumig wrote:

You gotta be kidding me Razz. Anyway, how did you get like 600 Points? Doesn't it get reset to 45 daily?

WHat do you mean 600 points? You mean me? Cause I have never used my points ever... on anything... Not even hosting.
Josso
XP pro is great, 98 was buggy as hell - also networking was troublesome. NT = compatible with nothing, I must admit I had some great fun with 2000 it was an enjoyable OS. I don't remember 3.1 that much, I think at that stage I was using Mac. So, I'd have to go for XP Pro
Kamo
I started with 95->98->98se->xp pro

It's well known that the older versions was very unstable and buggy. I had a blue screen sicknes for many years.
I have no problems with xp so voted for xp pro.
MarzEz
although xp is a more recent os, it's only good on relatively good p.c's sure, i voted for it despite the fact i'm using 98 on my 400mhz bomb at the moment. one good thing about 98 is that it can detect ANY new hardware and install drivers for it.
this capability means that you can pull your 98 hard drive out of one p.c. and stick it in another. [found new hardware, bridge to cpu etc] I know. I've tried. that's something you can't do with xp. my brother tried with xp pro. and failed.
oh well, xp pro is still better.
see ya...
LostOverThere
All Windows sucks, DOS is the best. But as someone pointed out, DOS aint Windows.

Linux For The Win!
MarzEz
i know dos stands for disk operating system, but i assumed that because the earlier OSes were based on dos that it was part of windows.
my bad.
sorry.
oh well, it is pretty stable.
{name here}
Uh, there was only one version of 2000 released: 2000 professional.

2000 is simply the best version of windows. It's stable, and it isn't sugarcoated. I like it that way.
MarzEz
whoops! Embarassed is 2000 pro the pro version of ME? whoops! thanks. no votes for that then!
MarzEz
i cant help but notice, that despite 8 votes, vista in general has none whereas dos has 2. isn't that saying something? Razz
TerrorBite
XP Pro for me. I'm not going to touch Vista with a bargepole until it's at least at SP1.

Also, there are only two flavors of XP: Professional and Home. There isn't a plain XP
k_s_baskar
I am going to vote for windows 3.1. bcoz this is the only windows version which will work in 80286 systems! Wink
MarzEz
i once had a little laptop that ran windows 3.1 on 66mhz processor & 4mb ram... until i dropped it.
hey, don't knock it, it ran doom perfectly fine! Razz
Arno v. Lumig
DarkAkira wrote:
Arno v. Lumig wrote:

WHat do you mean 600 points? You mean me? Cause I have never used my points ever... on anything... Not even hosting.

Well, the 600 was a typo, but this is your user info (near 300, not 600)

Quote:

291.88 Points
291.88 FRIH$
[ Donate ]

→ Report this user

But usually (or at least, in my case) the points get reset to 45 daily! The only way I could get 300 points was to make 60 5-point posts in one day... And even then my FRIH$ would be higher then my points.
LostOverThere
TerrorBite wrote:
XP Pro for me. I'm not going to touch Vista with a bargepole until it's at least at SP1.

Also, there are only two flavors of XP: Professional and Home. There isn't a plain XP

Actually there is XP Office, but I've only seen it a couple of times (surprisingly in the office)
turbosquid
Personally i prefer linux and have a duel boot system, with Ubuntu (linux) and Windows XP Pro i have used most versions of windows even beta tested vista (yuck)! Out of all the versions of Windows currently available i think that 'XP pro' is the best for most uses, its now pretty stable has a good amount of software and support. Vista just plain sucks and isn't even finished it should still be under development! The next best windows OS is Windows 2000 pro, it's very similar to XP without the fancy GUI it's fast reliable and has pretty good network support, only downside is the support is starting to dwindle.

Turbosquid
JayBee
The best Windows are Windows 95 OSR2 because they are extremely fast. They are not in list so I vote for Windows 98, because it is nearer then Windows 95.

I mean, best windows for my AMD 5x86@133Mhz with 32MB RAM.
MarzEz
although i forgot some versions of windows, some OSes like 95 could mean all versions: e.g. 98 also includes 98se. oh well, you can't expect me to get everything perfect. still, sorry.
thanks.
see ya. Razz

p.s. check out my new signature!
aningbo
i would have given for vista pro bt with my limited pocket and high configuration requirement... i've given it for windows XP pro. can't help.

windows vista pro looks promising though
{name here}
MarzEz wrote:
whoops! Embarassed is 2000 pro the pro version of ME? whoops! thanks. no votes for that then!

There was no windows 2000. There was only Windows 2000 pro, and ME never had a designation.
MarzEz
i thought ME was a fully supported system. i have used computers using ME as a fully supported system, therefore i assumed that it was another genuine release etc. as with all the others. well, thanks anyway.
ForceRun
It is like choosing the less evil. I'm using Win Vista Ultimate, and had Win XP pro before that. All of Windows OS really suck but to play my games that is what I use. It would be nice to have a system that I could depend on.
vicarious
The only reason I say this is that you might never get a virus on it. I remember getting so frustrated with a friend of mine complaining about his XP system slowing down due to spy and adware, as well as viruses, that I took win 3.1 and got it to work with a modem (the internet was the main impetus for 98 ) and a text browser modified to show graphics and set him on his way. The only thing he really used it for was to do research" online for school. He later commented how fast his internet connection was, and I feel that the lack of Java, Flash, Macromedia, and other bells and whistles kept him out of malware trouble. I don think he was in too much danger of other viruses. The catch of all of this was that I gave him an old Toshiba laptop 90MHZ CPU (if I remember right) with a 512 MB hard drive and 16MB of memory to replace his 900MHz/1GBmem Dell for this purpose, and it was portable to boot. Windows hasn't been able to do this since, and we still mostly use our computers to browse the web and play solitaire anyway Smile
PIbrothers
Hahahhaa who the hell said DOS!? Laughing
DarkAkira
PIbrothers wrote:
Hahahhaa who the hell said DOS!? Laughing

Me and some other guy.

DOS PWNS ALL WINDOWS!!!!!

Seriously. People should make games in DOS again. That would be AWESOME!!!!

And like I said Before.

DOS: The most stable and advanced Operating System EVER!. w00t!
MarzEz
i've been stuck with dos several times before: but the good thing is that because you never see other icons on your desktop and think " might just do that first..." you never get idetracked. plus, doom Pwns ome of these newer games like halo. the doom levels are much more inventive and are so - well, w00t to play. so √√
(mac user l. just hold down option)
!! d √√!! Very Happy
MarzEz
sorry for the leet. i got carried away. party last night.
DarkAkira
it happens.

I go l337 crazy sometimes too.
MarzEz
yep. happens. sorry anyway.
muggle
It is hard to say that there is such thing as "the best", the best in comparing of what?
When older versions of the OS have been invented the newer ones didnt exist yet and it's expected to learn from the past when working on the future releases, so they should be better that their predecessors.
I would say that each of listed OS has been at certain time and for its specific purpose "the best" then the successor came and it became obsolete
Of course they were some false starts (e.g. Windows ME) but what one can do about it Smile;
Before asking what the best is, you should specify - the best for what purpose (e.g. personal use, gaming, server etc.)
cLean
really.. ive had alot of experince wiht so many op's system.. but only one is the 2003 server.. if i would use ne besides unix.. id go with 2000 server windows.. its so steady for me.. very reliable. i dont play games on my server that i use for testin, jus see if my sites etc.. are looking good.. i use mainly for my irc bots i create, which is my FAVORTIE HOBBY in the whole wide world Very Happy
flatliner
I have had 3.1 , 95, 98, pro Xp and out of all them I think Xp pro is the best. Although I have some of the visual features of Xp turned off, like I use classic windows visual display, it really speeds up Xp. No way in hell am I going near vista, I hope to be buying a new computer in the summer and I still plan on getting Xp pro.
Studio Madcrow
2000 was the best. It was finally stable and non-buggy but was not picking up bloat yet. For an older machine Windows 95 is the best, though, as long as you don't need USB.
DecayClan
Windows xp prof is the best windows, simply because it was pretty stable from the start, and they have been repairing it for many years Wink So, i believe that windows xp prof with SERVICE PACK 2 + is the best windows, NOT JUST win xp prof... i prefer win 98se than windows xp without service pack 2....

I also believe that vista will be pretty good, after the first service packaes are releashed...

except from all that, i strongly believe that windowsME, are the WORST....

Have a nice day Cool
bulek
I thing that Windows XP SP2 Professional is still the best version of Windows. They are the most spread, almost all security flaws are now fixed, they work very stable without any problems, the support is excellent, all programs run on them, the don't the much system resources, etc.
Vista is still not so supported yet so many people discover problems when running some older programs. You also need new computer with at least dual-core and 2gb of ram.
Arnie
{name here} wrote:
Uh, there was only one version of 2000 released: 2000 professional.
Actually that's not true. There were also server editions. But 2000 Pro is the "workstation" version, indeed. (Windows ME is a totally different version, based on Win9x, while 2000 is based on NT4).

As for the people with hundreds of points: the 45-reset only applies to people that have hosting. So there are a few people out here on the forums just for fun, not for hosting. And they have lots of points.

Anyway, I voted for 2000 Pro as well, since it doesn't have such high hardware requirements and is still quite stable. 98SE is runner-up for me.
blueray
It is true. The most stable and powerful was the Windows XP Pro or Windows XP Pro SP2.

But except the Windows Vista due to I haven't installed and it requirement is too high and run slow.

So, it is not my choose now.
abcmario
I think that the best Windows is not really the Original Windows, but the Hacked Windows aroung the web. Sometimes Microsoft has implemented some useless features for Windows users, that in the whole life of the machine wont be used.

So, the hacked version has been improved removing the unnecesary stuff (even disabling crashy things) and adding cool features that in fact, are ilegal but... what should be of Microsoft if the piracy dont spread Windows everywhere?

Sorry for my poor english. That's my humble opinion.
spykE
Can't get any better than with Windows XP Professional atm, there's still too much unsupported software/hardware on Windows Vista and there hasn't been any really Vista-only things out yet, so XP Pro is still the way to go.
biljap
I used Windows 95, 98se and now XP pro. I never had any serious problem with any versions but I prefer XP. I like its appearance and the way it works.
[FuN]goku
Well... this depends.

I was on Win98 for so many years .. even after XP came out i still had 98 for ... uh 1-3 years.
And i liked it, but i find XP is alright as well. Vista is just made of epic fail except for maybe the themes and theyre whole aero thing, but i can get that on XP if i want as well.

3.1 was fun to mess around with on DOS-Box(google it if you dont know what it is)
with its 1337 colorz Razz

Windows ME was another fail... not epic fail but just a fail.
95,.... meh.
thimpat
I use Vista but I prefer XP. Vista needs too much resource to work.