FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Are there any teachers here?

uuuuuu
I'm finishing up a B.S. in mathematics and I'm considering teaching at the secondary level. Who has taught? Is life getting harder for teachers? Is it worth the sacrifice?
What are people's thoughts?
Did a teacher make a big difference in anyone's life?
I never had a good relationship with one of my teachers.

But it seems like it could be a satisfying way to go.

Who makes a lot of money?

Who is satisfied with his job?

A trillion thanks,

Love,

Uwe
wylieconlon
Well, I can't say I'm a teacher myself, but my mother teaches reading.

There were quite a few excellent teachers in my life. There were always more bad teachers, though. So yes, you could definitely make a difference, especially as a math teacher- in my experience, students are more challenged by that, and the good teachers are fewer. It may be harder to teach, but it may also be that much more rewarding.

Teaching, as a whole, probably won't get you the money that you'd get as someone in management, but if you stick with it long enough, and work in a school system with good benefits, it wouldn't matter. We've always had cheap family healthcare as part of my mother's benefits, and job security is excellent.

And satisfaction? To put it one way, she's never been disappointed with her job, only with her students. So if you can deal with that... it's a good career.
fourx
I stopped teaching High School (12 to 15/16 year olds) about this time last year to concentrate on devoloping a private tutoring business- which is now up and running well.
Would I suggest a teaching career to my kids..? Yes, maybe, if they were female- no possible way if they were male.
Bear in mind that teaching in this country is no doubt far different to where you are, but the excessive Left slant and raft of PC feel-good subjects running at the expense of History and even basic math and English skills now in play here produces a kind bland, incurious and conformist type of student in the main..not perhaps the most exciting personality type to teach.
Male teachers, those few who are left, are exposed to a culture of possible false accusation under rigid Child Protection laws, where guilt is in most cases assumed, which means male teachers are increasingly rare.
wabik90
You know, It depends.... I hope you don't live in Poland, because in our country teachers earn pennies and they can't live for their own(because they don't have money...). I heard that in other countries this job is well payed(and I think it's true), but in Poland...

From the other hand, when you have an opportunity to learn people, to make them smarter, it's good and i think you should be proud of yourself.

P.S. My mother is a teacher...
imera
I am currently working as an apprentice in administrations, but as soon as I finish that I have thought of becoming a teacher in English, history or society, especially the last one. But teaching wont be my main goal, I want to work as an adviser since I love to teach and help people.
Afaceinthematrix
fourx wrote:

Male teachers, those few who are left, are exposed to a culture of possible false accusation under rigid Child Protection laws, where guilt is in most cases assumed, which means male teachers are increasingly rare.

Male teachers are few? Where do you teach? I am a senior in high school in Southern California, USA, and the majority of my teachers are male. This year, 4/6 of my teachers are male and last year 5/6 of my teachers are male. The year before last 5/6 of my teachers were male and the year before that 4/6 of my teachers were male. So throughout my high school years, the vast majority of my teachers have been male. It's weird how those statistics change all over the place.

But as far as teaching, I would suggest it if you have a passion for it. I used to want to be a teacher because I like teaching, but I've been told by all of my math teachers in the past not to teach. I have no talent for it, unfortunately. All of my math teachers have told me that I'm really talented in the subject, but that's to my disadvantage with teaching because I'm not able to understand why people don't understand something.

Also, for the rest of your question, I've had teachers that have made major impacts in my life. I've liked all of my teachers except one (and that was years ago). They've made a major impact in my life.
fourx
I pointed out in my post ""Bear in mind that teaching in this country is no doubt far different to where you are"" and I am showing my location next to my post.

I don't think that my education system is unique in so far as the movement away from teaching as a career choice by males during the last 25 years- but the fact that Australia has the highest teen male suicide rate in the Western world combined with one of the lowest male teacher rates and a high proportion of students who are from single parent families, where custody of the child is, except for a tiny percentage, automatically given to the female parent is food for thought.
No positive male role model exists for the major proportion of male students under this system- and the destructive effects of this on a growing male child have been well documented.
Afaceinthematrix
[quote="fourx"]I pointed out in my post ""Bear in mind that teaching in this country is no doubt far different to where you are"" and I am showing my location next to my post.

ahhh sorry, I never notice the location statistic to the left of the posts.