FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Activating a dog

Idoru
Hi!

We have a BC, wich is a very lively bred. He's young, and we train obedience and social encounters with him.
He lack's experience of humans and civilization from the first time in his life, and is still not more then eight
month's. A bit reserved and reacts stronglly on even the smallest disturbance. He get's more calm after a good
training-round, and glows of self-secureness. Smile

What I'm asking for here are more tips on how to activatie an easilly distracted, highlly intelligent dog?
Easy exercises aswell as more demanding ones are of interest, since I've noticed there are some experienced
dog-keepers here, I figured, why not ask for some to share their knowlege?
GSIS
Border Collie pups usually have an attention span a bit like a two-year-old child. They're smart dogs, so they're easily distracted and curious about everything at that age.

Just be patient with him. If he wanders draw him back. If he gets drawn back to what he's supposed to be doing give him a treat.

Always let him know when he's done well - that way he'll know who's in charge (NOT HIM Laughing ) and will be eager to please in the future.
Rico
BCs just want to be productive, you can teach them anything. Give it all kinds of jobs, like picking up laundry, patrolling the property, anything you can think of. If you have the space get something it could heard like guinea pigs or rabbits. Be as creative as you want your BCs the smartest dog youll ever have.
Sipe
The first thing, what I was thinking, was this: http://terrieri.net/kauppa/images/medium/82817_Karlie_Griggle_Aktivointipallo_med.jpg

It's an activating ball. You can put snacks in to it, and the dog will push the ball trough. Then the snacks come out of the ball -> dog gets the price.

Our dog loves it. She push it forward, and when the wall comes to against to her, she get the ball away with her paw. Razz