FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

SICKO!

spinout
The new Michael Moore movie called Sicko! is about to have premiere this week in Sweden. Anyone seen it?
spinout
bumping this!
haven't anyone seen it yet?
I am really intrerested - Mr Moore has done some awesome movies before.

I loved the time when he dared the CEO of NIKE in a sprint!!!!
eday2010
Michael Moore can't sprint. His legs can barely support his fat, sweaty, disgusting ass.

I've heard that it is a lot like his other movies: the truth as he sees it, not how it really is. And we all know that the truth how he sees it is a lot of the time an outright lie.
sunpascal
eday2010 wrote:
Michael Moore can't sprint. His legs can barely support his fat, sweaty, disgusting ass.

I've heard that it is a lot like his other movies: the truth as he sees it, not how it really is. And we all know that the truth how he sees it is a lot of the time an outright lie.

better the truth as Mr. Moore seas it than the truth as Bush sees it
sunpascal
Sicko is a great movie - Moore brings up another controversial topic and questions the American health system as it currently is - and does so in his beautiful sarcastic and ironic way.

You got to admit, his movies are well done.

And about the topic in Sicko: America is pretty much the only rich country that has an inhuman and sick health system. The cases that Moore brings up in Sicko are completely unthinkable in most European countries.
pnalaba1
I never understood why American health system is so profit oriented. When I first moved to this country, I noticed that the cost of food and goods was a small portion of an average person's salary, rent is about the same as in my country (India), and things are better overall as long as nothing goes wrong. But once anyone gets into trouble, and it is not rare for people getting into such situations. I have known students who had accidents while driving and even if they had insurance, they ended up with such huge debts at the end of the treatment that it will take them years to repay.
In a third world country like India, there aren't enough resources for all the people, so things are bad. But even then for lot of medical conditions, people there, however poor, do get treatment and for the same ailments here, I am pretty sure that low-income people find it harder to afford.
eday2010
A lot of hospitals ar not-for-profit, so they don't make money off helping people. Any money they make that exceeds their costs go back into the hospital in the forum of new equipment, more staff, renovations, etc. A lot of states are adopting laws where hospitals will treat you fully regardless of your ability to pay.

But why is the health care system profit oriented? Because people work in the health care field. People want to make money. They don't work for free. Everyone wants to prosper and live comfortably, and anyone who says they don't is a liar. There is private insurance available for lots of people in the US. That is something we aren't allowed to have (yet) here in Canada. Why? Because we have what everyone wrongly calls "free halthcare". First off, it is far from free. We pay taxes out of the ass for it. Secondly, the service is subpar compared to the US. The wait time in the US for an MRI is a week or two. Here, if you go through the public system, can be as long as 8 months. those who can afford it will travel to the US and pay for an MRI out of their pocket instead of waiting the 8 months.

And because it's a public system, doctors are only allowed to make so much money per year, so a lot of them go practice in the US. Who can blame them? When you are a family doctor running your own office and paying for support staff, the $29 you get for each patient you see is peanuts.

Fatass Moore makes our system sound like a utopia, but it is far from it. Last year someone in this city almost died from a ruptured appendix because no hospital would admit him. The ambulance had to drive to Montreal, which is two hours away, to help this guy. 28 hours after the ambulance picked him up, he finally had his surgery. He could have died because of our ridiculously expensive and ineffective health care system, yet everyone thinks it's great.

I'd rather be able to pay for private insurance (like in the US) and look after myself. At least the service would be better. A monopoly never offers better service than an entity that needs to compete, and the government can never offer services more efficiently than a private entity. that's just how it is.
czc587
Personally I think Moore is the sicko IMHO.
eday2010
czc587 wrote:

I couldn't agree more. Cool
pudovkin
eday2010 wrote:
czc587 wrote:

I couldn't agree more. Cool

HAHAHAHA... Definitely!

I think Moore's perspective is very important, so we can have references to judge some subjects. However, it's pretty stupid to believe he's always saying what is and what is not; it's just like have to like all film endings. Razz

I've watched "Sicko" a few weeks ago and found very interesting things. Besides the USA-demon portrait he paints, it's pretty good to see how health systems around the world threat people. When he talks about Canadian health system, it's funny when you compare with the "Barbarian invasions" approach.
eday2010
Don't believe everything Moore says about the health system in Canada. He leaves out all the bad stuff. Sure, no one will get turned away because they can't pay (which doesn't happen as often in the US as people believe) but they do get turned away in emergency situations because the hospital has no room. Did he mention that?

I doubt it.
j_f_k
I never regret watching any film he's made, in particular F911, however its a shame that he tends to exaggerate to get his point across - the films would have FAR more impact if they were a little more balanced.

BRilliant film, however the crux of it is not so much about uninsured people being turned away from hospital as it is from insured people who have their claims rejected - why this seems to be a problem in America and not other countries is not explained.

One telling part of the saga is the person who lost a hand and they were going to charge 60K per hand or 12K per finger to sew back on. The problem is that medicine is very exensive in America (look at travel insurance premiums there) and I think personally this is down to the exorbitant professional libailit insurance premiums the medical people have to pay, in a country that's so litigation happy.

In the UK the audience all laugh at the point where he waxes lyrical about the 'wonderful' NHS system - if you're from the UK you don't need me to explain. I also find it hard to swallow that cuba has such a wonderful health system and that people can just jump o nthe boat and get treated in the cuban NHS and there's no overflow problems sounds too good to be true.
blk3
Ive watched Fahrenheit 911, I think some of his theories are not really that impossible to happen. It might even be closer to the real truth.
pudovkin
eday2010 wrote:
Don't believe everything Moore says about the health system in Canada. He leaves out all the bad stuff. Sure, no one will get turned away because they can't pay (which doesn't happen as often in the US as people believe) but they do get turned away in emergency situations because the hospital has no room. Did he mention that?

I doubt it.

I agree.
He's just a documentarist who creates drama.
It needs to be cautioned when watching his films.