FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Frihost time. -Marketplace-

Urban
Hi, this time I'm sure that my suggestion isn't already used on the forum! Rolling Eyes

Frihost is a big community, with members of everywhere in the world, we all have different time zone and we aren't always online at the same moment. When I had a auction on the Marketplace, my biggest problem was the end of the auction, everyone had a different timezone and no one knew if the offer was finished or not! So my idea is to make a official Frihost timezone! A unique timezone, not based on where Frihost is hosted nor on any real time zone, a virtual timezone. Like this we could say "The offer is ending at 5 PM of the Frihost time. It would be a lot easier for the auctions and it's hard to do!

(If this already exist, I won't post for the next 5 days Razz)
mathiaus
Urban wrote:
Hi, this time I'm sure that my suggestion isn't already used on the forum! Rolling Eyes
(If this already exist, I won't post for the next 5 days Razz)

Rofl Laughing

Urban wrote:
Frihost is a big community, with members of everywhere in the world, we all have different time zone and we aren't always online at the same moment. When I had a auction on the Marketplace, my biggest problem was the end of the auction, everyone had a different timezone and no one knew if the offer was finished or not! So my idea is to make a official Frihost timezone! A unique timezone, not based on where Frihost is hosted nor on any real time zone, a virtual timezone. Like this we could say "The offer is ending at 5 PM of the Frihost time. It would be a lot easier for the auctions and it's hard to do!

This is NOT currently an existing feature Razz
Great idea though. I wouldn't suggest just making a time up though. May as well work with the code. Base it on GMT, either GMT or +/- something.
rvec
why not just use GMT. Everyone knows how many hours they're away from that. And with a frihost time you would have to use GMT or it would be a lot more trouble for everyone to calculate the time.
Genesiz
Or why not use the time given just above the Frihost Forum Index link on the main page. I'm not sure if this is an actual time anywhere, but i suppose it could be classfied as 'Frihost time'. Think

Anyone clarify this Question
rvec
that's your time Wink
if it isn't you didn't set the right time settings in your profile.
Urban
rvec wrote:
why not just use GMT. Everyone knows how many hours they're away from that. And with a frihost time you would have to use GMT or it would be a lot more trouble for everyone to calculate the time.

I don't agree with you! Try to find what's your GMT on google and tell me if it that easy! You'll get a website that tell you "-4" then another website will say "-5".. I got a lot of problem to find my GMT, I got it with Gmail, they have a big list of all the GMT with the city..
rvec
Have you tried watching your pc time? You have to give your timezone in windows. And if you don't know it you can just try until you find the same time as on your watch.

btw: I found this with google: http://www.timezoneconverter.com/cgi-bin/zoneinfo
not that hard to get your timezone with that.
m-productions
revec is not the easy, as when he had an actution there was a lot of problems with everyones time, my GMT times is -4 on some fourms and -5 on others. This is indeed a problem, and some sort of univirsal frih time would be great.
mathiaus
I'm now puzzled. Are you saying that people don't know what time-zone they are in?
Urban
mathiaus wrote:
I'm now puzzled. Are you saying that people don't know what time-zone they are in?

I didn't kew it!
jordi
I think this is a good idea Wink
But what time do you want ?? Razz
Hogwarts
jordi wrote:
I think this is a good idea Wink
But what time do you want ?? Razz

12:30 PM. All day. Seven days a week.

Honestly, this is kinda pointless, although it is rather easy to implement Confused

A countdown script, however, would be better yet more difficult to code. Hmm.

Well, I suppose it's a fair decent idea. May as well do it >.> (It wouldn't just help for auctions. Perhaps 'special deals' or 'discounts' or whatever, too.)
Genesiz
rvec wrote:
that's your time Wink
if it isn't you didn't set the right time settings in your profile.

mathiaus wrote:

Actually i think the time is wrong. I live in England so my time is set to GMT. No problem there, execpt the time given on my main page is one hour less than the actual time.

Seems to me you got a problem. Wink
rvec
seems to me you forgot you have summer time Razz you should add 1 hour to your time if you have Smile
mathiaus
10 points to Rvec. During the summer, we 'British' use BST (British Summer Time) which is equivalent to GMT +1. We switch back on the 28th of this month though Wink
Some scripts support daylight saving, others don't. I guess phpBB doesn't Razz
truespeed
I think we should have hammer time.
Genesiz
rvec wrote:
seems to me you forgot you have summer time Razz you should add 1 hour to your time if you have Smile

My bad. Embarassed

Anyway, regarding the suggestion, maybe a digital time readout on the main page would be good, as opposed to a stationary one. What time this would be i don't know.
rvec
just GMT should do since everyone can easily check that by looking at there settings in the profile and then remove or add those hours to the time on the main page.
Genesiz
And the digital readout?

Or a clock at the top of each page wold be fine. Just where all the links are, there's a massive space not being used for anything.
rvec
maybe the GMT settings could be added to your local time.
dutch example:
Quote:
Za Okt 06, 2007 2:22 pm (GMT +2)
hack_man_
truespeed wrote:
I think we should have hammer time.

Haha! Good point!

I think it would be good to have an official FriHost timezone, or just use GMT or server-time. If it is GMT, then you have things like daylight savings to think about. If it is server time, then you have to think more.

I think a countdown script would be best... as it doesn't matter what timezone you are in. You could even make a tag that says [time=+5:00:00] meaning it will show the FriHost server time in 5 hours from when it is posted...

I dunno, it is all a bit confusing...
rvec
if you use GMT you don't have to think at all. You just look at the time on the main page, add/detract your settings and there you are!
If you are really lost you just go to a page like http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/ .

The only thing to make it even easier would be to add your time settings to the time on the main page but I don't think a frihost-time would be useful.
ocalhoun
Really, in the rare circumstance that it is truly important to mention times in a post that everyone will understand, just tell them X o'clock GMT (or if you really want to confuse people, EST, or whatever).
Bockman
Hogwarts wrote:

Not really that hard (after your help on the .htaccess rewrite in IRC Razz )

We could just have something like this (each member would have his own) for the topics in question:

Be Well Cool
Urban
Bockman wrote:
Hogwarts wrote:

Not really that hard (after your help on the .htaccess rewrite in IRC Razz )

We could just have something like this (each member would have his own) for the topics in question:

Be Well Cool

Exactly! It don't need to be very hard to understand, just a simple line would do the job and of course, it may be more easy to use GMT but sometime it's confusing and it would be way easier to have a countdown script!
garionw
why not just add it into php to do a preg_replace and replace all times with our correct time zone

eg: 12:45 PM in mathiaus's world (GMT+1) would be 10:45 PM in my world (GMT+11)

the script could just search for some of the basic times and rewrite them for us.