FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Any good *free* Antivirus Progs out there?

LuXTheReaper
I just found out today that the free anti virus i had been using from my internet service provider is no longer free even if you use their services. Since i do alot of downloading and surfing i need a pretty good one that wont slow my comp down.

Anyone know any good picks?
Da Rossa
I have a candidate to a better idea for you: never again use antiviruses. You better do the following:

Format your pc, install your OS, your essential programs, created another partition for the docs and important data, another for games and big programs such as Adobe CS3 Suite etc, and then the magical thing: make an image of your main partition (usually C:, that holds your OS and programs) with a tool such as Acronis True Image Home. No, it's not free, but in the long term you can save money AND time. Save the image in a DVD and, when a Lightning Bolt destroys your HD, you will have it backed up. In less than half and hour you got it back (provided you have a new HDD Very Happy)
DarkAkira
AVG Anti-Virus.

http://free.grisoft.com
AftershockVibe
OK... a few things here.

Firstly, all anti-virus programs are going to slow your computer down. That's how computers work! The AV needs to scan the file before it knows whether it's safe or not.

Secondly, Da Rossa's idea is a bit silly since not only is it costing you more but how are you going to know to re-image because you have a virus if you have no virus scanner?

AVG is free for home users as DarkAkira said you might also want to try "ClamAV" (You'll need to install the addon for on-access scanning though) or Avira "AntiVir".

AntiVir has had good things written about it recently.
LuXTheReaper
yeah i just basically want something that can keep the viruses out. I have around 90 in my comp and had over 220 spyware but the spyware is gone. Not sure if the anti virus is what i need but based on what i know it should help right?
Da Rossa
Quote:
Secondly, Da Rossa's idea is a bit silly since not only is it costing you more but how are you going to know to re-image because you have a virus if you have no virus scanner?

Not at all man. AntiViruses do slow your computer, and if he would opt for a paid one, then he would have to renew the license every x months. If you format your PC and install everything from the scratch you certainly won't have any viruses. Then make a safe image and save the disc for the rainy day!
qscomputing
ClamAV is reckoned to be the best free anti-virus program. It even beat most of the paid ones in a test. I've never used it though; I use Linux and know what I'm doing - therefore I don't need a virus scanner. (The only way a hypothetical Linux virus could work would be if you accidentally gave it full permission to run by typing a password.)
Arno v. Lumig
Da Rossa wrote:
I have a candidate to a better idea for you: never again use antiviruses. You better do the following:

Format your pc, install your OS, your essential programs, created another partition for the docs and important data, another for games and big programs such as Adobe CS3 Suite etc, and then the magical thing: make an image of your main partition (usually C:, that holds your OS and programs) with a tool such as Acronis True Image Home. No, it's not free, but in the long term you can save money AND time. Save the image in a DVD and, when a Lightning Bolt destroys your HD, you will have it backed up. In less than half and hour you got it back (provided you have a new HDD Very Happy)

Not smart if you have sensitive data on your HD. Also viruses are made to spread, so if your PC is infected and you don't do anything about it (or don't notice) you might actually be spreading the virus to other people.
Da Rossa
Arno v. Lumig wrote:
Da Rossa wrote:

Not smart if you have sensitive data on your HD. Also viruses are made to spread, so if your PC is infected and you don't do anything about it (or don't notice) you might actually be spreading the virus to other people.

Remember that, regardless of the presence of an AV in your pc, you're responsible for any virus infection. I would say that the AV contributes with 2% of your security, the other 98% is up to the user's education and responsibility (avoid opening .exe images, .scr slideshows, .dat word files, etc.)

The procedure I suggested is not everything, of course you should backup your data in a DVD every X minutes. But this should be done whether you use an AV or not. Also, remember that you should create a separate partition for the sensitive data, this would lower the probability of screwing everything up. Last, but not least, fortunately the deadly viruses are much rarer as of today.
infobankr
A great way to defend against viruses is to use a secure operating system like linux or freebsd. It won't ensure a virus free operation, but it will help.
Da Rossa
infobankr wrote:
A great way to defend against viruses is to use a secure operating system like linux or freebsd. It won't ensure a virus free operation, but it will help.

If he's a windows user, he would spend even more money in the TIME form to learn the Linux basics.
Arno v. Lumig
Da Rossa wrote:
Arno v. Lumig wrote:
Da Rossa wrote:

Remember that, regardless of the presence of an AV in your pc, you're responsible for any virus infection. I would say that the AV contributes with 2% of your security, the other 98% is up to the user's education and responsibility (avoid opening .exe images, .scr slideshows, .dat word files, etc.)

The procedure I suggested is not everything, of course you should backup your data in a DVD every X minutes. But this should be done whether you use an AV or not. Also, remember that you should create a separate partition for the sensitive data, this would lower the probability of screwing everything up. Last, but not least, fortunately the deadly viruses are much rarer as of today.

I'm not afraid of losing data, I automatically backup daily to an external hard drive which is hidden... I am afraid of that data ending up somewhere on the internet though because some stupid virus decided to put it all online and leak it. I can put back an image, but that won't undo the damage.
Da Rossa
You're right at this point: the damage will not be able to be undone, however there is a simple way to prevent that: never store your ultra-top-secret data on your internal HDD, whenever you want to edit that pentagon/cia file, plug in your external HDD and edit it locally, without letting the file to be saved in the inner HDD, and watch the temp directory. Very Happy
xbcd
Avast antivirus is a great free antivirus. it requires a subsciption (which is free) that lasts a year. really easy to use and very powerful. You can disable anything you don't want running (ie peer to peer monitor)

http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

go and check it out if you like it you can keep it if not you can try another one (which is really nice cause its free)

i've used it on several pc's including friends and relatives. I would suggest running a boot scan right after installing (i've done that and caught 16 viruses on ONE computer)
xbcd
sorry bout the double post but stumble upon brought me this and i knew your like it.

http://www.nirmaltv.com/2007/09/24/7-free-anti-virus-software-for-windows/

you sohuld find at least one you like in there.
jjpriest25
I regularly use AVG Free. I also use ad-aware, bazooka scanner, and, in short, all the software programs that Download.com recommends.
carlospro7
I don't think you ever go wrong with Avast antivirus. It's free. I have recommend it to several of my friends, and, as far as I know, they are better satisfied with it than they ever were with their old antivirus which they actually paid for.
ThePolemistis
xbcd wrote:
Avast antivirus is a great free antivirus. it requires a subsciption (which is free) that lasts a year. really easy to use and very powerful. You can disable anything you don't want running (ie peer to peer monitor)

http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

go and check it out if you like it you can keep it if not you can try another one (which is really nice cause its free)

i've used it on several pc's including friends and relatives. I would suggest running a boot scan right after installing (i've done that and caught 16 viruses on ONE computer)

Yup... nothing beats Avast. The subscription is lifetimee free subsciption Smile
pashmina
I don't like using the anti virus at all, it just slows down the system. so i schedule my time from a free online virus scan provided by the trend micro at http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
its recommended . its 100% free and also effective.
infinisa
Hi Folks

I'm a great believer in (and user of) free software, but have made an exception when it comes to antivirus programs. I recently threw out AVGFree and ZoneAlarm (an excellent free firewall) and replaced it with a commercial product, Kaspersky Internet Security 7.0.

Why, you may I ask, am I talking about a paid for antivirus program, when this topic is about the best FREE one? If you read the subject of this post, you may have an inkling of where I'm heading.

The program I've bought (and yes, it's subscription based, so I have to fork out more cash for it every n years) is VASTLY superior to all the free antivirus and firewall software out there. So if you think you need a REALLY RELIABLE antivirus program and firewall (and believe me, if you have Windows and connect to any external device - e.g. Internet, pen drive, CD, diskette, you name it, the you DO), then don't kid yourself. Look at the program reviews out there and choose the best.

The last post suggested using Trend Micro House Call. This is an excellent solution for removing a virus infection from a PC that will still connect to the Internet, but is useless in preventing an infection. For that you need REAL TIME protection, so that as soon as a virus hits you from an e-mail or web site, your antivirus kicks in and stops it before it infects your (and via e-mail, other) system(s).

Hope this gives you food for thought.
Indyan
Avira Antivir classic is a good and free option. It offers top notch protection for free.
Whong
AVG is one of the best free programmes. Smile I recomend it!
ainieas
Hey i don't know if Trend Micro Office Scan is free or not but it is awesome! I got it for free from my ISP and i swear with out it my computer would have been a mess. I work a lot on other's memory cards and pen drives and almost not a day goes by when my AV doesn't detect a virus. In fact i was thinking of compiling a list of the most common viruses. And i agree that you need real time scanner for complete protection.
fadirocks
Indyan wrote:
Avira Antivir classic is a good and free option. It offers top notch protection for free.

That's what I've been using for like the last 4-5 yrs http://free-av.com
Dean_The_Great
I've found AVG to be really great so far... although I really wish there was a way that you could have an antivirus program and not completely obliterate your computer's speed.
ainieas
Hey do the free anti virus like Avast or AVG provide real time protection?
lethaltriad
Another vote for Avast Antivirus Protection here. Just send in your information for the personal subscription and get a one year pass and when it expires just register again. Program files and antivirus definitions gets updated regularly also. I usually check once per week and there is usually always an update available. I also use it along with Spybot Search and Destroy to help protect me against spyware.
xbcd
ainieas wrote:
Hey do the free anti virus like Avast or AVG provide real time protection?

yes i know Avast has realtime protection and i'm 99% sure that AVG has realtime protection.
vineeth
I used AVG free and Avast earlier. I feel Avast is better than AVG as it detects most of the threats of an average home user. Usually, freeware anti viruses are scaled down version of a major program and it will surely have some issues like no advanced settings, irritating pop up screens etc.

I advice you to use Avast Home edition and one or two good ant spyware programs like SpyBot. One of them should be online always and the other should be kept for routine scanning. Both antivirus and antispyware should be kept updated.
MikeNF75
The combo of AVG, and Housecall from Trend Micro are great for systems that are still running. I also added to my set, the free program from Lavasoft called Ad-Aware 2007. This helps remove malicious cookies, registry keys, and more that have been added by questions websites and programs that may have been installed on your system.
iamarun
Hey friend,

I have personally used AVG for over 4 years, but i found that AVG is a good program but not the best program i you want to block the scripts and new viruses that are being developed.

Now i am using Bitdefender which is a very good program and best defender for the viruses, scripts, spywares and many different stuff that would damage your computer as you already.

If you dont like this program i would atleast encourage you to give it a try. becasue it is the best program i have ever used in my life.

I personally recommend Bitdefender
bulek
I think that the Avast does the best job, but it nearly isn't as good as some paid antivirus programs are (NOD32, Kaspersky, AntiVir...). Check out http://www.av-comparatives.org/ , this is great website where you can find independent test of antiviruses.
azuwis
Try ClamAV, http://clamav.sourceforge.net or http://www.clamav.net
Talk2Tom11
I would definitely recommend AVG basic. It is free and 10 times better then the non-free McAfee. However I do advise that people use caution if they are installing it on a 64-bit operating system. I had used AVG on windows xp 64-bit and it didn't settle to well.
xbcd
AVG tends to be slower and not catch as many files in a side by side comparison, the best AV is not free but the Avast catches a lot more and has better real time protection. (if the skinned interface is a turn off then just turn it off)