FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

PCI Express Graphics cards??????

paul_indo
Maybe a dumb question but can someone explain to me the new PCI Express x16 graphics cards. Namely, do you need a special motherboard with PCI express slots? or can they be plugged into a normal PCI slot?

I guess AGP slots have gone by the way, so much for that great innovation.

Nothing ever seems to be backwards compatible anymore. A completely new computer every 2 or 3 years seems the manufacturers goal now.

Thanks
synnyzter
There are two types of PCI Express slots, x16 and x8. Back in the day the only way to SLI was via x8 but now everything is dual x16. YOU DO need PCI Express slots to use a PCI Express card, they are not backwards compatible. The main advantage of PCI Express is not only the extra bandwidth but with Express there is not just one data buss to transfer the data. there is multiple data buses which allows for faster 2-way data transfer thus increasing bandwidth for pushing more pixels. It's basically a 2-way serial connection with x16 having 16 "lanes" and x8 having 8 "lanes" for transferring data traffic. technically x16 is twice as fast as AGP moving 4GB/s to AGP's 2GB/s, but x16 moves that in either direction, AGP couldn't.
fadirocks
hehe man you've been really away from computers world
AGP is almost extinct and eventually so regular PCI, everything switching to PCIe
Another connection is almost extinct too the PATA, which being replaced by SATA Smile
paul_indo
My motherboard is maybe 3 years old now, It has AGP and on board SATA.

I have been using SATA drives for that time but now when I look to upgrade the graphics cards are not compatible and, as you say, everything has changed.

Oh well, start again and junk it in another 3 years. Imagine if you had to junk your car every 3 years.
DarkAkira
PCI-Express is an inconvenience for people wanting to upgrade, but in the end is worth it.

THey perform MUCH better than AGP cards, and have way more bandwidth. Less bottlenecking, more expandability.
ForceRun
Yeah it has been the norm for 2 years now. PCI is fading out, AGP is gone, and now we have PCI-Ex. In the next little bit we will have PCI-Ex 2.0 and the Nvidia GeForce 9 Series, and Dirext-X 10.1, all new hardware and specs, and you will have to upgrade to get the one or two new features.

Just don't cut the bottom off to make it fit or you will be in a world of hurt.
http://www.pcgamer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20972
kiranaghor
A PCI is express card theoretically twice faster than AGP graphics card. It costs alomost the same nowadays. I have Asus a8n e mobo that came with pci e slot. performance is good and one should always prefer newer technology as it comes with added features.
Ducksteina
ForceRun wrote:
Yeah it has been the norm for 2 years now. PCI is fading out, AGP is gone, and now we have PCI-Ex. In the next little bit we will have PCI-Ex 2.0 and the Nvidia GeForce 9 Series, and Dirext-X 10.1, all new hardware and specs, and you will have to upgrade to get the one or two new features.

Jap, that's right. I tought everyone knows it... but apparently not.
For really good games you need a motherboard and a graphic card with PCI-Exp.
There is no way to bypass this... so spend some money for your good old friend^^
spykE
fadirocks wrote:
AGP is almost extinct and eventually so regular PCI, everything switching to PCIe
Another connection is almost extinct too the PATA, which being replaced by SATA Smile

AGP is definately not dead Cool . I got a X1950Pro AGP from MSI with 256MB GDDR3 memory and it rocks! You just need a strong AGP system to get the full power out of it. As far as I know the best card released untill now for AGP is the 7950GT, it's slightly better than the X1950Pro.

If there are dx10 graphics card coming? Ati has already released a budget dx10 card and nVidia will follow, though its still uncertain to what level. A 8600GT in AGP MIGHT be possible, though its not a certainty.

My AGP system still runs the newest games just fiiine.
Ducksteina
Do you have SM 3.0 or 2.0?
fadirocks
spykE wrote:
fadirocks wrote:

AGP is definately not dead Cool . I got a X1950Pro AGP from MSI with 256MB GDDR3 memory and it rocks! You just need a strong AGP system to get the full power out of it. As far as I know the best card released untill now for AGP is the 7950GT, it's slightly better than the X1950Pro.

If there are dx10 graphics card coming? Ati has already released a budget dx10 card and nVidia will follow, though its still uncertain to what level. A 8600GT in AGP MIGHT be possible, though its not a certainty.

My AGP system still runs the newest games just fiiine.

umm what kinda processor can you put in for AGP mobo I doubt anything new so again aren't you bottlenecking with AGP?
cLean
i really need me a new vid card.. i just got a new mobo with a onboard gfx 5500 gts? not sure why i bought this mobo after playing with the onboard.. its fast though. works well with my 6000+ amd cpu.. LOVE IT!. nice ram package... with my water cooling system.. no complaints jus need new vid card Very Happy